A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Escription versus the rest of us - Rose

Posted: Nov 18, 2009

There's obviously an apples and oranges difference between Escription and the rest of the VR editing softwares out there.  Those who are on Escription - bless your hearts - you are very fortunate.  But if you haven't done VR on another platform, please stop trying to tell the rest of us we are obviously doing something wrong if we can't easily double our lines with VR.  It just isn't happening for most of us.  I have worked in transcription for 30 years - 25 of that on any number of different computer transcription platforms - they are all different - and some are faster - some are more cumbersome.  The lines that I get done will reflect how efficient the program is - the same obviously goes for VR.  After 30 years, ESL is not an issue, slow dictators, wishy-washy dictators, it's all the same after awhile.  The difference is in the platform folks. 

My thoughts exactly - VR person

[ In Reply To ..]
I have told others exactly that. The problem though is others on the platform that is slow, clunker, etc. never thinks a platform could work halfway right so you are called all kinds of suits, slow typist (to even like it in the first place), plant and you only get the gravy dictators, surely to goodness you could not have ESLs as VR would not be able to understand them. They cannot believe a good transcriptionist would ever want to do something like VR. I have also said not everyone is cut out for VR. I took a job 1 time that was all straight work. No problem with the dictators, acute care like I was used to but terrible platform. Liked the owner of the company, the work but the line count was so bad so did I stay? Nope, had to leave as had never made such a low line count in all my life. Seems like it was called Chartnet or something like that. As far as doubling lines with VR, I have done that probably 1 time in the last 4 years or so. That doubling your lines is just blabber from the ones who sell it.

on the flip side - pip

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, people who like VR and say they make good money at it are accused of the things you said, but on the flip side, people who don't do well on VR and say it is garbage get accused by VR lovers of being lazy, not willing to learn shortcuts, or just can't cut it for whatever reason. I get so sick and tired of the personal attacks regarding VR. Some people on garbage platforms can't possibly imagine a good platform and some people on good platforms can't possibly imagine a garbage platform, so they assume it must be the person.

I have seen coworker leave this profession - VR person

[ In Reply To ..]
and go back inhouse just because she did not want to do VR and she was close to 50 when she did this. I can believe other platforms not so good because so many would not be complaining if theirs was ok. I probably have come back myself with statements about not cutting it, etc. because of the first naysayers. I am happy with mine, sorry others have such a bad experience.

I do anywhere from 300-400 lines in an hour, sm - JMO

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think any platform is going to help me do 600-800 lines in an hour. If I had to spend a little more time on 1 document than another, I would never be able to make up the lines to get my regular pay for the hour. Not to mention, I would probably have to try to work extra to make up for the times I left my desk to go to the bathroom. It isn't the VR, it's the fact that they don't want to pay you anything to do the VR (even though some of those documents require more time than you would want to spend correcting the computer's mistakes).
Exactly - Tina
[ In Reply To ..]
I couldn't agree more. If you were already typing 300-400 lines per hour for 10 cents a line, there is no way that you are going to be able to type 600-800 lines per hour to make the same amount of money while being paid 5-6 cents a line. If someone is lucky enough to get in those types of lines per hour, then they are only pulling up docs that require little if no editing on VR. Wouldn't that be a dream job...unfortunately, that isn't the case the majority of the time. I worked on Beyond Text and it is a good platform, if it were not for VR. I was so thrilled when my account went to BT not knowing it would was to go to VR. I could have made so much more utilizing just straight typing in BT with the macros and shortcuts I could create for the docs I had done the previous 6 years (which I did for the 6 weeks before the actual switch to VR). You simply can't do that with VR.
agree with you, you'd have to be an idiot not to be able to VR doctors, sm - JMO
[ In Reply To ..]
you have been typing for an extended period of time. My super told me I needed to give it more time. Hello!!! Been typing these guys for over 4 years, looking at their words on the page doesn't require extensive training when you've already been there and done that with your own fingers year after year.

I agree with Rose (sm) - MyT_WannyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish the companies understood that as well. I would love to know how they come up with that "magic number" of how many lines we should be doing an hour on a program that is as slow as molassis going up a tree in February. I have worked on a few different platforms with a couple of VR options and Escription is the best (for now). BeyondTXT is good, but not as fast with the add strokes you have to take to make the headings and subheadings. But I feel the program is only going to work with clear dictators, VR doesn't like the hard ESLs and frankly I'd rather not struggle with them either.

Here we go again, VR not liking the ESLs- sing-song - Where have I heard this before?

[ In Reply To ..]
I thank the good Lord above for the VR I am on because if not the ESLs would make me want to pull my hair out, 1 by 1. I see below about some cherry picking. I get all work, no exceptions, and our boss said if cherry picking goes on we will be fired. Before accepting any job, I would definitely ask them what kind of VR they have because it makes a heck of a lot of difference.

Escription is a problem too - mte

[ In Reply To ..]
It is the only program I have used and I hated it and I quit it. It takes too long to set up a job. I'm not paid for that. Just the lines I edit. Ripoff.

Similar Messages:

Dictaphone Versus Escription For VR/SR
Oct 28, 2010

I am curious as to your opinions on Dictaphone versus Escription platforms for speech rec.  Which one can you make the most money on?  Thanks in advance ...

Escription Versus Enterprise 5
Sep 02, 2013

Have heard Escription is really good.  Is the line count on that really better?  Is there a pay difference? ...

VR Platform Escription Versus Dictaphone
Jun 03, 2010

Can anyone tell me how difficult to get lines with escription and dictaphone VR?  Also, any info on TTS would be appreciated also.  Good, bad, ugly?  ...

7-day Rest .. Or 7 Day Rest - Would You Hyphenate According To BOS?
Jan 25, 2010

x ...

S/l IV Rest Or Ivy Rest
May 17, 2010

This is a patient who has a rash and the doctor says, "She is using s/l IV rest on it." Any clue???? ...

Ball Rest?
Aug 31, 2010

The patient was placed at s/l (ball rest) and sent home on s/l (prenal) nutrition and is readmitted for colectomy.   This dictation is so fussy. Can you help please? ...

Foot Rest
Jun 10, 2011

A while back I saw a post on here where an MT was advertising a foot rest that her husband was making that enabled transcriptionists to elevate their legs while still using the foot pedal.  I believe it was taken down before I got the info.  Does anybody know where I can get in touch with her?  Thanks. ...

MedScribe No Different From The Rest
May 15, 2012

I thought I had a great job transcribing for a specialty clinic in Chicago, but lost it to speech wreck.  MedScribe lied and told us it was a computer upgrade for Chicago, but now I'm left here with no work because it all went to speech wreck.  I would have changed over to another account but I was sucked in and believed about the upgrade.  Now I have no work.  Anybody else?, because I have an attorney and he would like to hear from all of us.  This industry is ...

Rest-all? Restol?
Sep 14, 2013

Has anyone heard of what s/l "Rest-all" - placed over bony prominences to protect the skin?  Thanks!  :) ...

S/L Rasp Or Rest
Nov 20, 2013

This 84-year-old female presents with a history of intermittent and variable expressive aphasia with apparent intact receptive capability. I believe that her intermittent episodes of speech ___(s/l rasp or rest) and repetition are do to her underlying expressive aphasia, and I do not find any evidence of an underlying epileptiform etiology. ...

A QC Question For The Rest Of You
Dec 18, 2014

For simplicity's sake, let's say I get a postaudit and it's 90%. Is my QC for the week 90%, or is it the one 90% audit averaged with my other work? OR, if there were 2 post audits, one being 100% and one being 90%, is it 95%? This is something I never got a clear answer on. I'm not sure they know lol. ...

Rest Breaks
May 15, 2015

Does M*Modal pay for rest breaks? ...

Keyboard Wrist Rest
Jul 20, 2011

I cannot type without a wrist rest for my keyboard. I had a good one and cannot replace it as they no longer make it.  Can anyone suggest a good one?  My old one was 19" long and about 2" deep. Thanks so much! ...

Elevated Bath Rest
Oct 18, 2011

"...Coumadin, Percocet, Lovenox, and *s/l elevated bath rest*, as well as a scopolamine patch to apply prior to surgery."   This is for preop total hip arthroplasty. Thank you for the help! ...

Just Ran Out Of Work, Wondering If The Rest Of You Are
Jul 25, 2012

still dealing with this.  I am so limited with available time after my shift and it's so hard to make all this time up.  I thought things were picking up a bit but here I sit....... ...

California Rest Break FYI
May 15, 2015

"(c) If an employer fails to provide an employee a meal or rest orrecovery period in accordance with a state law, including, but notlimited to, an applicable statute or applicable regulation, standard,or order of the Industrial Welfare Commission, the OccupationalSafety and Health Standards Board, or the Division of OccupationalSafety and Health, the employer shall pay the employee one additionalhour of pay at the employee's regular rate of compensation for eachworkday that the meal or rest ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

Do The Rest Of You Find, Being Paid Only Per Line,
Nov 06, 2009

Another poster stated they only get paid when they type (just like the rest of us).  Since going from per-hour to per line wages, I've been finding it nearly impossible to take any kind of a break whatsoever, whether it be a day off, or an hour break.  I make so little at this, that all I can think of while doing anything other than typing, is how much money am I losing.  Do you, too, start feeling guilty about unchaining yourselves from your desk for even the short ...

Working Every Sunday For The Rest Of My Career
Apr 18, 2012

We are required to work a full-time schedule that includes either Saturday or Sunday, every weekend, forever. The only time we can take a full weekend is if we take a PTO day. But the problem is that we don't get paid holidays anymore (unless we work), so we are almost forced to take many of those as PTO days.  Our sick days come out of our PTO days.  I guess what I am saying is that the thought of having hardly any full weekends "forever" is very disheartening.  The company ...

One More Time For Transcend – Then Maybe We Can Let Them Rest In Peace
May 10, 2010

For all you Transcend haters – more fuel for the flames. This is PUBLIC record – nothing confidential here.  No need to comment on the validity – this is straight from the Court records.  By the way, they are in talks and have hopes to acquire 1 or 2 more companies THIS YEAR.  Is your company going to be one of them?  No one is safe!!!   LET THE RANTINGS BEGIN ENJOY !!!!!  Plaintiff TRS Institute, LLC, complaining of Defendant Transcend S ...

Wondering How Long The Rest Of You Sit Here Earning No Money (sm)
Mar 27, 2013

clocking in and out.  Punching in and typing 1 or 2 resports, clocking out, a job downloads, clock in, type, NJA, clock out.  Punching in and out is time consuming and affects the little line count that I am getting!!! I've been doing this now for 4 hours and I'm done.  Fire me, PLEASE, but I am not sitting here without consistent work punching that stupid time clock in and out all day long and not getting paid.  I have much better things to punch. I'M SO ...

...unifocalization Of The Pulmonary Arteries With (s/l) Rest-ellar Repair. NM
Jun 26, 2012

NM ...

Radiation Oncology, Patient Fitted With A "C Plus" Custom Head Rest.
Nov 17, 2010

:) ...

"nail Rest" After Fingertip Crush Injury
Feb 10, 2015

I'm typing a crush injury to a fingertip, with debridement and surgery, basically a tiny bit of fingertip amputation. The doctor several times mentions "nail rest" that might have to be excised. He says "nail rest" very clearly, but I can't find anything online showing that this is an official medical term, and I'd like to verify it before turning the report in. Thanks ...

Rest Greater Than Posture Greater Than Action?
Mar 29, 2011

Does that sound right?? ...

Escription VR
Mar 23, 2010

Is this platform good/bad/indifferent.  I have used ExSpeech which was a horrible platform.  Just wondering what is an average line count/hour that you can get on this platform.  I know there are a lot of variables, but a "ball park" idea would be great!   Thanks, ...

Anyone Is Using EScription Out There
Jun 17, 2011

Hey, I am curious as to whether anyone is using eScription out there.  If so, for what company and do you like it?  Thanks for your help! ...

Does Anyone Else Use Escription?
Jan 28, 2011

Does anyone else use escription? If so, how do you get the line count? ...

Is 3.7 Cpl Okay For EScription?
Aug 24, 2012

I have no choice but to accept because the rug has been pulled from under me and my fellow co-workers.  Hospital outsourced to a transcription company and 0.37 cpl is what they are offering us using eScription. ...

New To Escription.
Feb 16, 2013

I am new to escription and start with my new job on Tuesday.  Is there any advice beforehand?  I really need a job at home right now or I wouldn't even give VR a second look.  But because it is what it is I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers?  Thanks. ...