A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

VR platform escription versus dictaphone - anyone

Posted: Jun 03, 2010

Can anyone tell me how difficult to get lines with escription and dictaphone VR?  Also, any info on TTS would be appreciated also.  Good, bad, ugly? 

Check the VR/Speech forum for more info - dictaphone is okay - Folks seem to like Escription better

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not know anything about TTS!

Don't know about TTS or dictaphone but EditScript kicks butt - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I can EASLY do 400 lph on it. I've worked for hospitals, clinics and MTSOs using eScription and after the initial training (took me about 2 months to get comfortable) it is so easy to pick up new accounts or new doctors and is so easy to use and very user friendly, especially the newer versions. I would absolutely recommend it.

This is such good news for me. We are starting VR - Chchchchanges

[ In Reply To ..]
in a few months with eScription and no one has ever done VR before. We all have 15-25 years of experience with these doctors so hopefully we can get the drafts to come out really good.

It will take a little time - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When I worked for a local hospital we had thousands of doctors (5 large hospitals) not to mention all the primary care and speciality care clinics we used. It took probably about a year to get to 60-70% recognition for acute care and about 80-90% for the clinics. There was a lot of typing in the begining, it took about 3 months for the first drafts to come out and they weren't bad. But after 2 years our drafts looked great, nearly 100%. As long as the MTs are consistent and follow the eScription suggested guidlines, it is a really painless transition. Working on doctors you already know is a good thing.

However, after the first year, they had to cut about 8 full time jobs, and then a few months later cut 2 more, then we had about 5 retire/quit and they were never replaced because they just were not needed anymore ;-( (total MT department was around 60)

If there are a limited number of MTs on the accounts - You are going to have total CAKE with eScription!

[ In Reply To ..]
If I'm interpreting your posts correctly, it's an established account with good docs and a limited number of MTs dabbling on the account.

Assuming you are all on the same page and doing the same exact headings, etc., get ready to probably increase your pay by about 25% with eScription.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. With good dictators and MTs who are all on the same page, you're pretty much going to get good-to-go drafts that you simply scan and upload while sipping your coffee.

It's when there are too many MTs putting their personal preferences into reports that problems occur.

If there's a limited number of you on the account and you're all on the same page, you can make this a DREAM account for yourselves.

Post back later after you've had it trained for awhile and update us. I think you'll be singing the praises of eScription AND making more money than you are now.

Good luck to you!
I am on Escription and I don't simply scan and drink coffee... - rosebud
[ In Reply To ..]
could you explain that to me; I don't understand. I do okay with escription but do not make 25% more than I used to, no way. It is less than I made 2 years ago.

Also, what do you mean when you say there are too many MTs putting their personal preferences into reports that problems occur. Maybe I am working with some that do that, but how would I know. Thanks for any info to help me make more.
Sure, let me try to explain it for you - eScription
[ In Reply To ..]
eScription is all about the inital "training" of the system. Keeping the headings 100% consistent is the huge key in getting this system to drop down a near-letter-perfect draft to you that needs minimal to no editing.

Say in the vital signs area, the patient's weight is 52.6 kg. Everything is fine until 1 day a new MT starts on the account and she/he starts overriding the system with a personal preference, "kilograms." NOW the problems start. This confuses the system because it's always known "kg" to be the correct way to interpret "kilograms" but now it's being overriden to use "kilograms." Then, say this same new MT starts using "BP" instead of "blood pressure" in the vital signs area. Again, this confuses the system; it's always known "blood pressure" to be correct for that phrase but now it is being instructed to use "BP." So, now what happens is you're entering 50/50 area. On a draft, it might give you "blood pressure" in the vital signs area or it might give you "BP" in the vital signs area, because it's been conflicted.

If it's a small account with a handful of editors, no problem. Find out who's overriding the system and ask that they refrain and the problem will self-correct shortly and you'll be back to that near-perfect draft. However, if it's a large account with a lot of hands in it doing their own thing to add a few characters to their count or just because they are in training and don't know any better, imagine the chaos that wreaks on the system. There are say, 30 MTs on the account, everyone is tweaking it with each report with their own "personal preference" (spelling out things that per client specifics should be abbreviated or vice-versa). That machine is going to be so confused it won't know WHICH interpretation to use, so it will just grab onto one and, yep, you get to slow down to go in and edit it to the way you know it's supposed to be done.

I am on a huge account with probably 30-40 MTs at any given time, and I can immediately tell when there are trainees on the account. Things that were letter-perfect suddenly come up with some bizarre version of what it once produced consistently. I always, always take that few seconds to stop and edit whatever the glaring difference is to what I know it should be, because even if it's something that seems like it's totally no huge deal, it's still not what the client wants and it's not what the system was trained for. The system was trained for drafts that matched the client specifics, not the MTs preference. I know sometimes MTs get ahead of themselves when editing and let the "little" things slide by, but when you're on a verbatim account and have the luxury of pretty much a perfect draft in front of you to send through, to me letting ANYTHING slide by that isn't in agreement with the client specifics isn't acceptable (obviously) AND starts letting more and more jibberish into the eScription platform that slowly but surely start compromising the quality of your initial draft.

I hope this makes sense...it's really hard to put into words without screens or anything to refer to. I've worked at both large hospitals where literally I sat sipping my coffee and reading, at about 150% (I rarely use the 200%, too much room for error) and uploading jobs one by one. The dictators were good, they had been given thorough training on how to dictate for eScription (such as the proper way to go into "list" mode so that numbering is always correct), etc. If you have good doctors (who actually listen to instruction) and eScription, and MTs all on the same page regarding format and a knowledge of the client specifics, I swear to you that you, too, will have drafts from heaven that you just read to ensure punctutation, format, etc., are accurate, and send on their merry way.

It's a lot easier to do this in a smaller environment with fewer doctors or MTs for obvious reasons. It's easier to track down who isn't following dictation guidelines with the docs and they can be reminded about how to begin "numbering mode," etc. Also, it's easier in a small environment to instruct new hires about what they should and shouldn't tamper with when editing (i.e., do NOT spell out kilogram or do NOT spell out "examination" in certain areas).

I hope that helps. I feel really bad for anyone who doesn't have the opportunity to experience eScription when it's being utilized to its best, because it can make our jobs so much easier. And I don't say that because I was a slow or inferior MT. In fact, I was chosen to be the one to train the system at a large hospital for whom I was employed because I was top of the department, both in speed and accuracy, and I caught on to the eScription system the fastest because I was in awe of it when I saw what it could do (and how it could save my hands and wrists). The beauty of eScription at this facility is that, although it was a large hospital, the transcription department had an amazing amount of interaction with the physicians and they worked WITH us instead of AGAINST us (what a shocker, huh?), and because the investment was so huge, we all wanted it to work. So, when we went to tell them they weren't dictating their number mode correctly, they wanted to do it right instead of tear our heads off.

I hope at least some of that helps to explain the "too many cooks" aspect of eScription because, like I said, I think if everyone had a chance to work on the platform when it's being optimized and everyone is cognizant of and playing by the rules, all of us MTs could be making a good sized bit more in the salary department, and I think we all deserve it!
Small enviroment; limited MTs and dictators - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Your observations are absolutely correct. Most VR platforms will work great under these conditions. Unfortunately, this is not the case for Mts working with the large MTSOs who have hundrends of MTs working on multiple accounts with hundrends of dictators. But, this means job security where it's not nearly the *sip coffee,skim over and upload* kind of job
I SO appreciate you taking the time to explain it all - rosebud
[ In Reply To ..]
Another piece of the puzzle falls into place. Thank you SO much for the lengthy explanation!!
THANK YOU! You explained it perfectly. Now I know - Backwards Typist
[ In Reply To ..]
why ES goes "bump" in the night. Some days, it's great; other days, okay. But lately, so-so. A lot of new people on it where I am and a lot more editing to do. Frankly,I don't think the ES training by the human was very good. I, truthfully, had to learn on my own.

Editscript kicks butt post - lvsummer

[ In Reply To ..]
Boy, I would like to do this? I feel uneducated in this online typing I have never done it and now looking for a job from home for med trans. What is eScription, a software you can buy and load on your home computer or do you have to find an MT company who has this? I feel kind of stupid but thats how you learn right. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

escription - I believe

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe you would have to look for a place thst has the different platforms and then they would load it on your computer. That is usually the way thngs work with that kind of thing. Not sure you can even purchase it for your personal use.

Similar Messages:

Dictaphone Versus Escription For VR/SR
Oct 28, 2010

I am curious as to your opinions on Dictaphone versus Escription platforms for speech rec.  Which one can you make the most money on?  Thanks in advance ...

Escription Or Dictaphone
Oct 29, 2010

Which is the best platform to work on? I have Dictaphone experience, but have never worked on Escription.  I hear that Escription you can make more money.  Is this true?  Please provide info. ...

EScription & Dictaphone
Oct 02, 2013

Does anyone have information on eScription & Dictaphone?  I see they have posted an ad but I'm not familiar with this company.  I would like to perhaps apply but would like any feedback anyone may have before I send a resume.  ...

Dictaphone Or Escription
Jun 26, 2015

Does Nuance use Dictaphone or Escription or both? Have worked on Dictaphone Ext-Text and liked it. How is Escription different from D-phone?   ...

Dictaphone Extext Vs Escription
Oct 06, 2011

Hi All I am currently working on Dictaphone Extext but will be switching to Nuance Escription doing VR on both.  Does anyone have experience on both and willing to compare them.  I'm just wondering if my line count is going to go up or down.  Thanks! ...

Dictaphone Platform For Vr
Jun 03, 2010

Anyone like dictaphone for VR, or prefer Escription?  What is the average lines per hour anyone makes with either platform?  I am relatively new with VR and need to know if it is really worth the 0.4 cpl?  I was told 400-600 lines an hour will probably be my average, closer to the 600 ...

Dictaphone Platform
Jun 02, 2012

Can anyone tell me how the Dictaphone platform is? Do you know how it compares to the Enterprise platform (WMX)? Our manager has offered to let us switch if we want but want to know what I would be getting into first. TIA! ...

Any MTs On Dictaphone Platform?
Aug 03, 2012

I am a newbie to the profession, and Nuance is my first employer.  I graduated from MTEC a year ago, and I've been working since February.  I'm looking for MTs who work on the same platform as I do because I am not even close to making enough money to pay my bills.   My TL told me that our team has people (no names were offered) who consistently do 20K+ lines per payperiod and presumably make all kinds of money.  If this is true, then I ...

Dictaphone Versus Editscript
Sep 29, 2010

Can anyone give me input on how the Dictaphone voice recognition compares to Editscript?  I really enjoy Editscript and wondering if Dictaphone voice recognition is as fast to work with.  Thanks! ...

How Is Dictaphone's ExEditor Platform?
Jan 14, 2010

I am considering switching jobs.  The company uses Dictaphones ExEditor.  This will be my first experience with VR.  It will be a mix of straight transcription and VR. Can anyone tell me if this is a decent platform. I also use ShortHand. Will this work with ExEditor?  Thank you for any reviews or comments. I realize it is going to be a learning curve but I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire either. ...

Dictaphone Platform - Is This Productive?
Aug 13, 2014

How productive is Dictaphone platform for line count?   ...

Has Anyone Successfully Used Escription Or Dictaphone EXtext/ExEditor With Wireless Or
Jun 17, 2010

satellite internet?  I have heard these were the better VR platforms but I cannot find out if they can be used on wireless or satellite internet.    ...

Dictaphone's Speech Product- Does Anyone Really Make Any Money On This Platform?
Feb 19, 2010

I have always used eScription which is a much friendiler platform. This is the first time I have used this program and I'll be lucky to make $50 a day.  I realize it is something new for me, but from those who use it regularly, am many lines can you average an hour. I need some hope here. ...

How Is The EScription Platform?
Aug 17, 2012

Do you find it fairly productive & user friendly?  How's the VR? Thanks. ...

Escription Versus The Rest Of Us
Nov 18, 2009

There's obviously an apples and oranges difference between Escription and the rest of the VR editing softwares out there.  Those who are on Escription - bless your hearts - you are very fortunate.  But if you haven't done VR on another platform, please stop trying to tell the rest of us we are obviously doing something wrong if we can't easily double our lines with VR.  It just isn't happening for most of us.  I have worked in transcription for 30 years - ...

Escription Versus Enterprise 5
Sep 02, 2013

Have heard Escription is really good.  Is the line count on that really better?  Is there a pay difference? ...

How Much Can You Produce On Escription Platform?
Apr 22, 2010

Once you are up to speed on Escription platform, what is a reasonable number of lines per hour you can produce (low to high)?  Thanks in advance. ...

Escription Platform Question
Feb 16, 2012

Is there anyway to retreive a report or part of a report after my computer burped and rebooted itself.  The report went back into the Que, but the report I had done so far is not there.  Would it be stored somewhere on my computer?  Help - this is happening too much today and I am losing lots of reports.  ...

How Can I Be Very Productive Using EScription Platform
Aug 28, 2012

Only being paid 3.7 cpl.   I normally average 250 lines per hour straight typing.  I need to try and get that equivalent in pay.  TIA ...

Need Info On Escription Platform Please (sm)
May 09, 2013

Hello all, have joined new outfit. Anyone willing to share any tips or suggestions for Escription platform? I'm told it is Word based. I'm curious about text expander use. The information mentioned Autotext, Autocorrect and other tools embedded in Word, but also mentioned certain issues related with text replacement. Any suggestions or tips will be much appreciated. ...

Is EScription A Company, Platform, Or What? Nm
Dec 21, 2014

. ...

Frustrated With EScription Platform!
Jan 25, 2015

Is there any way to easily get capitals to change when you add or remove a period? It's so frustrating when, for example, when you take a period out and the next word doesn't automatically capitalize like it does in a lot of other platforms.  Word macros don't seem to work.  : (   ...

Why Is Escription Considered A Good Platform?
Jan 24, 2010

nm ...

Is There Any Other VR Platform Besides Escription That You Can Make Money On? Sm
Jun 16, 2010

I know everyone loves Escription, but just wondering if there were other platforms out there. ...

Good Editing Platform Besides Escription?
Sep 18, 2013

Have worked with Escription, liked it, just wondering if there is another good VR platform someone is working in that they think is okay. Thanks ...

Is It Possible To Work Escription Platform On Satellite Internet?
Apr 19, 2012

I realize we were told that we cannot use satellite internet with Escription program, but has anyone actuallyl tried doing this?  I live where they only have satellite internt and commute to a large city, so I can work for Nuance.  So far this has worked out okay, but I really would like to be home more.  Am just wondering if this is possible.  ...

Companies That Use Escription. On The Platform, My Autocorrect Doesnt
May 26, 2014

it will work, and then the next time I try to use the same correction, it will not work. Am I doing something wrong? Is it the platform? Any suggestions? ...

EScription Production - Makes A Decent Living Using This Platform
Aug 20, 2010

I would like to know if anyone makes a decent living using this platform.  Any comments appreciated, i.e., average lines per day, hour, anything to give me better understanding.  Thanks. ...

Companies Who Hire Part-time With The EScription Platform
Nov 22, 2010

Can you tell the names of companies who hire part-time with the eScription platform.  Wanting to learn this...   Thanks! ...

Infinity Foot Pedal Issues With EScription Platform
Oct 19, 2013

I just received my Infinity USB foot pedal from PCDictate.  I am employed with Nuance using the eScription platform and I am unable to get this foot pedal to work.  Can anyone who works on the eScription platform (preferably with Nuance) tell me what settings to use so this thing will work?  I'm about at my wits end.  I'm beginning to think the old pedal I had was fine and I spent money for nothing.  I have a new computer and it shows the pedal IS installed and functional, but it ...