A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Transferring Word with settings to new computer - Liz

Posted: Nov 17, 2009

My 7-yr-old computer finally needs to be replaced, and I found a good deal on a new powerful machine, but I do not want to lose all of my Word settings, including dictionary, autocorrects, autotexts, macros, etc. It has taken me years to build these files and they make my work go very smoothly.

If I install the same version of Word (2002) on my new machine, how do I transfer my customized Word program to the new machine so I can go right to work just like on the old machine?

When I have tried to back up my programs onto an external hard drive it transfers Word, but it is clean, like straight out of the box, and not my customized version.

TIA!

Liz

You have to...sm - smitty

[ In Reply To ..]
copy the Normal.dot file and save it, say on your desktop. when you transfer files, make sure you transfer that file as well. once word is installed on new computer, locate the normal.dot file there, and replace the new one with the old one. you are still going to lose some info, as the normal.dot file does not have everything, particularly your macros, and possibly autocorrect, as well. I have done this many times, and I always end up losing some entries and having to do them all over again.

on a side note, make sure that your word 2002 is compatible with whatever Operating system you are upgrading it to. If you are going to have Vista, word 2002 may not be compatible with it. but you may need to check that out, as I am not sure. In Vista, the normal.dot file is named something different, I believe, and the Normal.dot file you save will not replace what is already there, so you will lose ALL info anyway. Perhaps ask this on the tech board, and you may get a more specific answer. I wish you luck!!!

Thanks for the tip. - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
This will be Windows 7, and I will see if it is compatible. I thought this was the tech board?

Word 2002 NOT compatible with Windows 7 - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
so now I am worried. It looks like to get the new computer I will have to shell out the dough for Office 2007, and I am liable to lose settings anyway, assuming that 2002 settings would not translate to 2007.
No normal.dot (or normal.doc) file found. sm - Liz
[ In Reply To ..]
When I do a file search for either of those terms no file is found.
Make sure you are checking to search hidden files. (nm) - Cheryl
[ In Reply To ..]
x

two other must-save files besides Normal.dot - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
custom.dic (your spelling entries)
C:UsersAppDataRoamingMicrosoftProof

MSO1033.acl (your Auto Correct entries)
C:UsersAppDataRoamingMicrosoftOffice

Download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (do a Google search). (sm) - Cheryl

[ In Reply To ..]
The Advisor tells you what hardware and software will work in Windows 7. Word 2003 is compatible with Windows 7 so I suspect 2002 is also compatible. Microsoft really isn't supporting 2002 any longer so I doubt you'll find published info on compatibility for this version. Microsoft wants you to also upgrade all of your software -- another reason for not giving you compatibility info.

You can transfer all of your customizations from 2002 to 2007.

Your macros, keyboard shortcuts, AutoText, and formatted AutoCorrect entries are stored in the normal.dot in 2002. Plain text AutoCorrect entries are stored in the .acl file. Words you added during spell checks are located in the custom.dic file. You can email all of these files to yourself and download them on the new computer.

The normal.dot in 2007 has been changed to normal.dotm. Locate this file on the new computer and delete it. Copy your 2002 normal.dot to the same folder path. Open Word and a new normal.dotm file will be created based on your old file.

The .acl and custom.dic files are named the same in 2007. Just copy those files to the correct folders.

Search does not find any normal.dot file - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
Cheryl, that is fabulous information and very helpful. However, I cannot find the files in 2002 to copy them. I use the search feature in the Start menu and no files are found for normal.dot. Where are they hiding?

Got it! Hidden files checked - nm - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Trouble finding folder path for normal.dotm - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel like an idiot but when I write down the file path for normal.dotm in Windows 7 after searching, it gives me:
"C:/users/liz/appdata/roaming/microsoft"

When I explore in C, I find users, and I find Liz, but there is no folder called "AppData" so I'm stuck. I want to delete the 2007 Word normal file and replace it with normal.dot, but I want to put it in the correct file path.

Word 2007 is SO different from 2002 that I can barely function. My documents don't translate well, losing formatting and things like tables with hidden gridlines.

Nevermind - found it! NM - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

I Need Help Transferring My Esp From Word Client To My Personal Computer
Jul 13, 2014

Hi: I need to move my expanded phrases and sentences from word client to my personal computer. I want to put them in autocorrect on Microsoft 2007. I do not know how to do this. I don't see much online about import/export from word client to auto correct. If anyone knows of a converting program or how to do it step by step, please let me know. Thanks for your help.   Take Care, Jay ...

Transferring Word/WordPerfect Autocorrect To PC Shorthand
Nov 18, 2009

Hi everyone, I use both Word and WordPerfect.  I have autocorrect entries in both Word and WordPerfect that I would like to transfer over to PC Shorthand.  Since I'm new to PC shorthand, I've been reading it over.   I know with PC Shorthand we can use the SHCNV.EXE to convert autocorrect. My problem is that I am at a loss as to what the Word and WordPerfect auto correct entires are labeled or where they are stored in my computer. I did a search and for Word Perfe ...

How Do You Change/save Settings For The Default Document That Opens In Word 7?
Mar 14, 2010

I just installed MS Word 2007 & (an upgrade from 2002). I want the default document to be in a particular color & I can't seem to get it to work. I know I can just change the Page Color in Print Layout once the document opens but I want it to be my default color for every document & not have to make that change each time I open a new document. I have tried everything I can think of & I know it shouldn't be this difficult (& very well may not ...

Transferring "Favorites" To New Computer
Aug 19, 2010

Getting a new computer and trying to figure out how to transfer my "favorites" to my new computer. I have tried a google search and tried following the steps on there, but it's not working. I have a flash drive. Is there a simple way for someone who is technically challenged?  Thanks!!! ...

Is There A Way To Transfer Autocorrect For Word 2003 To Another Computer Using Word 2003?
Dec 08, 2010

?? ...

Transferring From XP To Windows 7
Jun 08, 2014

Got the refurbished Nuance computer with Windows 7.  Now I have been advised by some to put data on memory stick and transfer and another person told me there is a USB transfer wire I can buy from WalMart, plug into both computers and it will do the job. Anyone used this method?  ...

Transferring Autotext
Nov 13, 2014

I currently have Word 2003.  Is it possible to transfer my AutoText entries (thousands) if I need to upgrade to a newer version of Word, so I do not have to start over with those entries?  JMJ ...

Transferring Employees Due To OOW Situation
Aug 21, 2014

TSM looking into transferring some of us to other TSMs.  We lost a rather large account and have been running into OOW a lot. Hoping I don't get called.  I really, really like this TSM and don't want to have to learn another group of accounts. Are there other areas that need to have more people on it or are we going to just push that group into more OOW?  Hope they study this carefully. ...

Transferring Microcassettes To Wave Files
Oct 31, 2009

Anyone out there know of a way to transfer dictated info on microcassettes to wave files?   Thanks In Advance. ...

Transferring Encrypted Voice Files
Feb 02, 2012

I transfer encrypted voice files with winzip through gmail. I am having problems getting them go through with their recent changes. Is there another HIPPA  compliant program or way to transfer these files? Thanks ...

Transferring Instant Text Into AutoCorrect
Jan 18, 2013

I am chaning jobs.  Current company uses IT on company-owned/provided computer (required).  The platform is Word-based and has AutoCorrect, but IT is the expander company uses. New company also will be company-owned/provided computer (required).  The platform is the same, but they use AutoCorrect.  Is there any way to convert my IT expanders to AutoCorrect on current company's computer, then somehow transfer file (via email or whatever) to new company computer? I don ...

DocQspeech Settings.
May 20, 2010

One thing that is killing me on SR is when I get dictators that pause a lot.  Even using commands to speed up through the spaces, it is a waste of time.  Under Tools, Options, Speech Recognition, at the bottom there is a box to check for accelerated silence playback and a slider for 5 seconds to 30 seconds.  I have this checked, but nothing is different than when it is unchecked.  What is this supposed to do and why does it not seem to work?  I am not with Medquist, but ...

Speaker Settings
Jul 27, 2011

I am just starting out in transcription and I am needing help on how to set my speakers in order to hear better.  I currently have my bass down and my treble up but is there anything else I can do cause when the doctors get to talking really fast and running their  words together it is hard to make any sense of it at all ...

Can Someone Provide Me With Ventilator Settings? I Mean,
Feb 17, 2010

when doctors give settings for ventilators, FIO2, PEEP and so on.  If someone can provide me a simple list, I would appreciate it.  This isn't for a test and, sadly, I'm not a newbie.  I haven't done these type of reports in a while and my brain seems frozen over.  If anyone can grasp what I'm trying to say and could provide some simple answers, I would really appreciate it.    Thank you. ...

What Is The Proper Etiquette In Most Settings If You Don't
May 20, 2010

You can challenge them if you feel certain they are wrong, yes? Is it not koshur to question them too often?  How about 2 challenges that you prevailed on, but by the third question are they sick of you anyway, never mind you were right the first 2 times. ...

Express Scribe - What Settings Are You Using Under The Playback Tab
Feb 10, 2010

I wanted to know if anybody is using Express Scribe. If so, what settings are you using under the Playback tab. I am having a hard time listening to the doctors that I dictate for and the practice files I have to do for school (haven't passed my final yet). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Anyone Know What Other Time Settings Besides The Auto Update Could Cause (sm)
Jan 18, 2013

my system to slow down and pretty much freeze up for about a half hour every day at the same time?  I checked the settings and it is set for 3 a.m. for auto updates, etc, but I do not know what else would cause this.  It happens every single day at 4:00 PM and it is driving me crazy!!!! ...

Bayscribe Foot Pedal Settings?
Dec 19, 2013

I'm working on Bayscribe for the first time ever and I'm getting pretty frustrated with the foot pedal functions.  On every other plaform I've ever worked on, whenever you lift your foot from the pedal, it would automatically rewind the dictation a few seconds.  It's not doing that on here and it's driving me crazy and is really slowing me down.  I've been into the settings of the job player, but there doesn't seem to be an option to enable this. ...

Settings To Get Entire Message On Page...
Jan 04, 2014

instead of using mouse to go to bottom and slide from left to right to see words on right-hand side of message. If I use control (-), it makes print too small to read. If I go up 1 (control +), the print size is fine, but I have to use slider at bottom to read each message. Thanks in advance. ...

Questions About Automatic Spacing Settings
Nov 02, 2014

Clicking on link below shows you how to easily change automatic spacing settings from 1  to 2 spaces after a period and reverse when you have different requirements for different accounts. ...

Help With Foot Pedal Settings In Express Scribe (sm)
Jun 03, 2014

I went into options and all the settings seem to be in the hundreds and described as (ms).  Not familiar with that at all.  I always set my pedal to seconds.  My rewind is extremely slow and when I take my foot off the pedal and then on again I need it to rewind a few seconds so as to not miss anything.  When I take my foot off pedal and then on again, I have to actually press the rewind button for a few seconds and this is really costing me some time and aggravation.&nb ...

Check The Foot Pedal Settings Or Lack Thereof On The Escription Platform?
Apr 04, 2012

I forget this, I know it is easy, but how do you check the foot pedal settings or lack thereof on the escription platform? Thanks for your help. ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Importing Bayscribe Word Expander Into Word 2010 Autocorrect
Jun 25, 2015

Is there a way to import or convert my Bayscribe word expander file (thousands of entries) into 2010 MS Word's autocorrect and/or dictionary?  Thank you. ...

Is It Possible To Upgrade Microsoft Word 2000 To Word 2003?
Jul 01, 2010

I have Microsoft Word 2003. Is it possible to upgrade it online to Word 2003? A company I worked for for a short time did it. If it's possible, can someone give me the link? I looked on Microsoft.com but don't see it. ...

In Microsoft Word, Is There A Way To Find A Particular Word In A Document? I Have 20 Pages And I Nee
Mar 01, 2011

. ...

Help Please!!!Changing Comma To Period, Capping Next Word....in Word
Nov 07, 2014

Is there a way in AutoCorrect (Word 2010) to change a comma to a period and then cap the next word to make VR go a little faster?  The platform at my old company did this automatically, but MS Word does not : ( This is so frustrating having to change from a comma to a period (or vice versa)--which as you all know happens constantly...and then change the next word to be capitalized (or uncapped)....my wrists are killing me, not to mention it takes so much TIME..... There HAS to be a better ...

Help, Please! Changing Comma To Period And Capping Next Word In MS Word....
Nov 08, 2014

Is it possible to do this in MS Word 2010?  I'm using AutoCorrect and there isn't a way to do it that I know of.  What do all of you doing VR do for the CONSTANT having to change a comma to a period and cap the next word easily?  Any suggestions would be SOOOOO very appreciated.  ...