A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Speaker Settings - Jackie

Posted: Jul 27, 2011

I am just starting out in transcription and I am needing help on how to set my speakers in order to hear better.  I currently have my bass down and my treble up but is there anything else I can do cause when the doctors get to talking really fast and running their  words together it is hard to make any sense of it at all

Speaker Settings - Kat

[ In Reply To ..]
That is something that you have to figure out, but one thing that is part of learning to be a good transcriptionist includes being able to hear the dr's better, which includes speeding them up, slowing them down, turning the volume up and down, sometimes very all of them often. Also backing up the speech, sometimes it will land on a word just right and you will be able to finally hear what it was. You have to keep adjusting things to see what helps. Sometimes slowing them way down and turning the volume down will help you hear them, then other times turning that volume up will help, you just have to experiment to see which helps you hear them better.

Another Jackie? - Jackie

[ In Reply To ..]
Welcome to the field. I've been at this for 20+ years. It's a different world now.

It threw me when I saw myself asking for help here. :)

Using headphones will help a lot - sm - Zorro

[ In Reply To ..]
when you say speakers, I presume you are just using your desktop speakers, IMO it is harder to hear on the desktop speakers. Headphones are a must. I have both over the ear (completely cover/encase ear) stereo headphones, and also Skullcandy earbuds (very comfortable) and do a great job locking out external noise, much better than my headphones, which my current pair does not fit optimally so I pretty much just use the earbuds now. I find I work much better with the earbuds too. As for hearing the docs that is something that comes with time as you get your ear for them. Try slowing them down if it is possible (the platform I am on does not allow you to do anything with the recording, sucks). If you use Express Scribe or any other independent player you should be able to change the speed. When I first started MT ten years ago I had to play the files at about 80%, over time I played them at regular speed of 100%, just takes time to adjust and learn any new doctor. Also see if you can get examples of previous reports of the work type you are doing of that doctor, really helps a lot.

Similar Messages:

How To Tell Which Speaker?
Sep 14, 2013

I'm doing an interview transcription with 4 speakers and using the "text editor."  I am new to interview transcription.  Is there a way with the text editor to let the software tell which speaker it is once you have numbered them or do you have to do it yourself - by knowing their voices?  Sorry if that is an "off the wall" question - I am having a hard time.  TX! ...

DocQspeech Settings.
May 20, 2010

One thing that is killing me on SR is when I get dictators that pause a lot.  Even using commands to speed up through the spaces, it is a waste of time.  Under Tools, Options, Speech Recognition, at the bottom there is a box to check for accelerated silence playback and a slider for 5 seconds to 30 seconds.  I have this checked, but nothing is different than when it is unchecked.  What is this supposed to do and why does it not seem to work?  I am not with Medquist, but ...

Can Someone Provide Me With Ventilator Settings? I Mean,
Feb 17, 2010

when doctors give settings for ventilators, FIO2, PEEP and so on.  If someone can provide me a simple list, I would appreciate it.  This isn't for a test and, sadly, I'm not a newbie.  I haven't done these type of reports in a while and my brain seems frozen over.  If anyone can grasp what I'm trying to say and could provide some simple answers, I would really appreciate it.    Thank you. ...

What Is The Proper Etiquette In Most Settings If You Don't
May 20, 2010

You can challenge them if you feel certain they are wrong, yes? Is it not koshur to question them too often?  How about 2 challenges that you prevailed on, but by the third question are they sick of you anyway, never mind you were right the first 2 times. ...

Transferring Word With Settings To New Computer
Nov 17, 2009

My 7-yr-old computer finally needs to be replaced, and I found a good deal on a new powerful machine, but I do not want to lose all of my Word settings, including dictionary, autocorrects, autotexts, macros, etc. It has taken me years to build these files and they make my work go very smoothly. If I install the same version of Word (2002) on my new machine, how do I transfer my customized Word program to the new machine so I can go right to work just like on the old machine? When I have tried ...

Express Scribe - What Settings Are You Using Under The Playback Tab
Feb 10, 2010

I wanted to know if anybody is using Express Scribe. If so, what settings are you using under the Playback tab. I am having a hard time listening to the doctors that I dictate for and the practice files I have to do for school (haven't passed my final yet). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Anyone Know What Other Time Settings Besides The Auto Update Could Cause (sm)
Jan 18, 2013

my system to slow down and pretty much freeze up for about a half hour every day at the same time?  I checked the settings and it is set for 3 a.m. for auto updates, etc, but I do not know what else would cause this.  It happens every single day at 4:00 PM and it is driving me crazy!!!! ...

Bayscribe Foot Pedal Settings?
Dec 19, 2013

I'm working on Bayscribe for the first time ever and I'm getting pretty frustrated with the foot pedal functions.  On every other plaform I've ever worked on, whenever you lift your foot from the pedal, it would automatically rewind the dictation a few seconds.  It's not doing that on here and it's driving me crazy and is really slowing me down.  I've been into the settings of the job player, but there doesn't seem to be an option to enable this. ...

Settings To Get Entire Message On Page...
Jan 04, 2014

instead of using mouse to go to bottom and slide from left to right to see words on right-hand side of message. If I use control (-), it makes print too small to read. If I go up 1 (control +), the print size is fine, but I have to use slider at bottom to read each message. Thanks in advance. ...

Questions About Automatic Spacing Settings
Nov 02, 2014

Clicking on link below shows you how to easily change automatic spacing settings from 1  to 2 spaces after a period and reverse when you have different requirements for different accounts. ...

Help With Foot Pedal Settings In Express Scribe (sm)
Jun 03, 2014

I went into options and all the settings seem to be in the hundreds and described as (ms).  Not familiar with that at all.  I always set my pedal to seconds.  My rewind is extremely slow and when I take my foot off the pedal and then on again I need it to rewind a few seconds so as to not miss anything.  When I take my foot off pedal and then on again, I have to actually press the rewind button for a few seconds and this is really costing me some time and aggravation.&nb ...

How Do You Change/save Settings For The Default Document That Opens In Word 7?
Mar 14, 2010

I just installed MS Word 2007 & (an upgrade from 2002). I want the default document to be in a particular color & I can't seem to get it to work. I know I can just change the Page Color in Print Layout once the document opens but I want it to be my default color for every document & not have to make that change each time I open a new document. I have tried everything I can think of & I know it shouldn't be this difficult (& very well may not ...

Check The Foot Pedal Settings Or Lack Thereof On The Escription Platform?
Apr 04, 2012

I forget this, I know it is easy, but how do you check the foot pedal settings or lack thereof on the escription platform? Thanks for your help. ...