A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone know what other time settings besides the auto update could cause (sm) - shortcake

Posted: Jan 18, 2013

my system to slow down and pretty much freeze up for about a half hour every day at the same time?  I checked the settings and it is set for 3 a.m. for auto updates, etc, but I do not know what else would cause this.  It happens every single day at 4:00 PM and it is driving me crazy!!!!

Antivirus scan? - Dewey

[ In Reply To ..]
I use Norton and its scanning was slowing down my computer (not to freezing, though). I had to change the settings to early morning. Also used Lavasoft anti-adware software but had to uninstall because that really slowed down my computer. Good luck. I understand how frustrating it can be.

SLOW - INMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi, Had the same thing happen to me every day at 3:30.. found it was had to do with memory. seems that my computer could no longer keep up with all that I had open and would do that every day. ended up with a new computer, not sure if that helps you but that's my story

my PC does live update every day at noon - and I cant change it

[ In Reply To ..]
because it doesn't belong to me and I can't change the settings. When it does this, look at your task manager and see what's running that's using so much memory. Maybe it will be something you can disable.

Similar Messages:

Time To Update My Ref Books, Dictionaries, Etc. What Do You Suggest?
Jan 18, 2011

My reference resources are starting to show their age and I've decided to update them this year. I would like an opinion as to what is really worth the $$. Ability to use within Word 2010 is a plus and CD's are preferable to books. *Saunders Pharmaceutical Word Book ($41.95) vs QuickLook ($49). I currently have Saunders and really love it due to the fact that it regularly self-updates, shows methods of admin, dosages, gen/Rx, and indications for use, but is expired now and drugs are ...

DocQspeech Settings.
May 20, 2010

One thing that is killing me on SR is when I get dictators that pause a lot.  Even using commands to speed up through the spaces, it is a waste of time.  Under Tools, Options, Speech Recognition, at the bottom there is a box to check for accelerated silence playback and a slider for 5 seconds to 30 seconds.  I have this checked, but nothing is different than when it is unchecked.  What is this supposed to do and why does it not seem to work?  I am not with Medquist, but ...

Speaker Settings
Jul 27, 2011

I am just starting out in transcription and I am needing help on how to set my speakers in order to hear better.  I currently have my bass down and my treble up but is there anything else I can do cause when the doctors get to talking really fast and running their  words together it is hard to make any sense of it at all ...

Can Someone Provide Me With Ventilator Settings? I Mean,
Feb 17, 2010

when doctors give settings for ventilators, FIO2, PEEP and so on.  If someone can provide me a simple list, I would appreciate it.  This isn't for a test and, sadly, I'm not a newbie.  I haven't done these type of reports in a while and my brain seems frozen over.  If anyone can grasp what I'm trying to say and could provide some simple answers, I would really appreciate it.    Thank you. ...

What Is The Proper Etiquette In Most Settings If You Don't
May 20, 2010

You can challenge them if you feel certain they are wrong, yes? Is it not koshur to question them too often?  How about 2 challenges that you prevailed on, but by the third question are they sick of you anyway, never mind you were right the first 2 times. ...

Transferring Word With Settings To New Computer
Nov 17, 2009

My 7-yr-old computer finally needs to be replaced, and I found a good deal on a new powerful machine, but I do not want to lose all of my Word settings, including dictionary, autocorrects, autotexts, macros, etc. It has taken me years to build these files and they make my work go very smoothly. If I install the same version of Word (2002) on my new machine, how do I transfer my customized Word program to the new machine so I can go right to work just like on the old machine? When I have tried ...

Express Scribe - What Settings Are You Using Under The Playback Tab
Feb 10, 2010

I wanted to know if anybody is using Express Scribe. If so, what settings are you using under the Playback tab. I am having a hard time listening to the doctors that I dictate for and the practice files I have to do for school (haven't passed my final yet). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Bayscribe Foot Pedal Settings?
Dec 19, 2013

I'm working on Bayscribe for the first time ever and I'm getting pretty frustrated with the foot pedal functions.  On every other plaform I've ever worked on, whenever you lift your foot from the pedal, it would automatically rewind the dictation a few seconds.  It's not doing that on here and it's driving me crazy and is really slowing me down.  I've been into the settings of the job player, but there doesn't seem to be an option to enable this. ...

Settings To Get Entire Message On Page...
Jan 04, 2014

instead of using mouse to go to bottom and slide from left to right to see words on right-hand side of message. If I use control (-), it makes print too small to read. If I go up 1 (control +), the print size is fine, but I have to use slider at bottom to read each message. Thanks in advance. ...

Questions About Automatic Spacing Settings
Nov 02, 2014

Clicking on link below shows you how to easily change automatic spacing settings from 1  to 2 spaces after a period and reverse when you have different requirements for different accounts. ...

Help With Foot Pedal Settings In Express Scribe (sm)
Jun 03, 2014

I went into options and all the settings seem to be in the hundreds and described as (ms).  Not familiar with that at all.  I always set my pedal to seconds.  My rewind is extremely slow and when I take my foot off the pedal and then on again I need it to rewind a few seconds so as to not miss anything.  When I take my foot off pedal and then on again, I have to actually press the rewind button for a few seconds and this is really costing me some time and aggravation.&nb ...

Update On Update Three Reports A Day
Aug 10, 2012

Hi everyone I just wanted to stop by really quick and let you all know that finally, FINALLY I am off QA. I was given two accounts today in addition to the one they had initially given me. I can now type w/o counting my reports and waiting for feedback first. It remains to be seen of course, whether or not there will be as much work as I was told but so far, this company has been true to their word. Still, four days on a very restrictive QA protocol was quite scary. I am a LOT grayer now ...

How Do You Change/save Settings For The Default Document That Opens In Word 7?
Mar 14, 2010

I just installed MS Word 2007 & (an upgrade from 2002). I want the default document to be in a particular color & I can't seem to get it to work. I know I can just change the Page Color in Print Layout once the document opens but I want it to be my default color for every document & not have to make that change each time I open a new document. I have tried everything I can think of & I know it shouldn't be this difficult (& very well may not ...

Check The Foot Pedal Settings Or Lack Thereof On The Escription Platform?
Apr 04, 2012

I forget this, I know it is easy, but how do you check the foot pedal settings or lack thereof on the escription platform? Thanks for your help. ...

To Do Auto Numbering In DQS,
Jan 20, 2010

I remember our CCM telling us a while back to do something like put the number sign at the beginning of each item and it would automatically convert to numbering when it uploads?  Does anyone know exactly what we're to put?  A number sign, period, and 2 spaces? ...

Please Help Me With Auto Correct....
Jan 22, 2010

It is suddenly not working. Is there some way it can get turned off?  Thanks. ...

DQS Auto Correct
Sep 24, 2010

How do you turn off auto correct in DQS. Starting a new job Monday and plan on using SH so do not want the Auto Correct.  Job not at MQ. Seems I've come full circle since working at home. Started out with a compahy bought by MQ, using DQS. Left and now back using it again 7-8 years later.  Not sure if that is good or bad. Thanks for the help. ...

Google Auto-fill
Jun 03, 2010

My Google auto-fill has suddenly stopped working.  It's making me nuts.  Anyone know how to fix it? ...

Okay, What's Up With This Auto Save Thing
Sep 17, 2010

Have had absolutely NO problems with the new 6.1 DQS until today and then right in the middle of a long staight type report (wouldn't you know) everything started locking up. I looked down at task bar and saw a message that said virus scan windows workstations (group task) was running and then auto-save kicked in every few minutes. Finally managed to struggle through it and then logged out. I can't afford to sit there and not be to perform adequately while the clock is t ...

Turning Off Auto Correct
Sep 24, 2010

Can someone please tell me how to turn off Auto Correct. Will be starting a new job Monday and using SH, not Auto Correct.  Thanks! ...

Question Regarding Auto Correct
Feb 10, 2011

Is it possible to transfer/copy/move my auto correct entries from my Windows XP (2002 or 2003) desktop to my Windows 2010 laptop?  TIA very much.  ...

Transfer My Auto Correct
Oct 01, 2012

Is there a way to transfer my auto corrects from my computer to the computer of my employer? ...

Auto Back Space
Jan 21, 2013

Can someone tell me how to adjust this thing?  Thanks! ...

ITYPE And Auto-text
Apr 30, 2015

Anyone here work with the iTYPE program with Word? Whenever I put auto-text in, it is gone the next day. I am not getting any technical support from the IT people. I spend the time putting in the text to increase my lines (paid by line) but lose in the end b/c of the time I took to do it. Getting pretty discouraged   ...

Auto Correct Files (please Don't Yell At Me)
Feb 07, 2010

I recently posted that I was finally done with the Q and hired by another company.  True, dat.  However, I forgot this one little thing. . .my auto corrects.  I rely on them extensively and it will set me back a bunch if I have to start all over again. I'll bet I've seen and read the instructions on how to do this a dozen times here at MT Stars. Now when I go back 3 months in the archives to find these how-to's, besides going cross-eyed and giving myself a headache ...

Anyone Know How To Back Up Auto Corrections On Word
Apr 08, 2010

Does anyone know how to back up your autocorrections on Word 2003.  I have a flashdrive I would like to put them on so that I can do a system restore.  Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated. ...

Is There A Way To Change The Setting On The Auto Save?
Sep 08, 2010

I think that is one thing that is slowing my computer down.  I notice it gets real sluggish and then the "Auto Save" flases in the bottom tool bar.  ...

How To Use MS WORD Auto Correct Within Winscribe???
May 04, 2011

Does anyone know how to use MSWord auto correct when in side the winscribe system?  If so, I would really appreciate some guidance.   Thank you so much.   Gloria ...

Word 2010 Auto Text
May 28, 2011

I had entered MANY auto text entries a couple months ago and now they are all gone.  Is there a way to search for them or recover them?  This is a laptap that is new to me, as is word 2010, but I did manage to figure out how to enter all these auto texts, and now they're just gone.  I know that they did save initially because I used them, but now haven't been on the laptop for quite some time and they are all gone.  Any ideas what happened? ...

Flash Drive To Say Auto-correct
Jun 09, 2011

A flash drive sounds like a great way to save auto-correct, but I can't find anything in word to tell me how to copy/backup auto-correct??? TIA ...