A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Having trouble using Stedmans Smartype with Windows 7/Suggestions for other software that does the s - Wendy

Posted: Aug 16, 2011

I tried loading my Stedmans Smartype on my new Windows 7 computer. It won't read it even with the addition of Windows 7 Pro which is supposed to read 32 bit programs. Any suggestions for new or different software to use? Or just suggestions for using the program with Windows 7 would be great. Thanks!

Did you add Smarttype to those programs that need XP mode? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Smartype and Windows 7 - Wendy

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I borrowed my friend's Stedmans and it went in just fine. Don't know what was wrong with the other version except that it was a different version that hers. Grr! It does work though. Thanks for your reply. I had downloaded into the Windows XP mode everything I needed to..

Try downloading Virtual PC from MS - FlaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I read somewhere that you will still have to download and install the Windows Virtual PC to get it to work.

Similar Messages:

Stedman's Smartype Expansion Software ?
Feb 07, 2013

I am trying a 30 day free version of Smartype.  I used Stedman's in the past and loved it and now they have a new version of it.  Does anyone use this?  I am trying to get it to work but every time I enter a space to autocomplete a word, it enters a space wherever I press the space bar, even mid-word.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Installed Windows 7 And Smartype Now Having Problems Need Help Or Advice
Aug 22, 2012

installed windows 7 from XP and reinstalled word 7 and now having problems with smartype working as it usually does, many features not responding, has anyone had the same experience and did you find a way to fix it or did you have to use a new program and if you used a new program - which one?  thanks   ...

DQS Software Suggestions / Speech
Oct 18, 2011

Have sent several long letters to present and former MQ management and CCM suggesting that MTs (which I still call myself) have input in the software corrections and improvements regarding Speech.  I know there are some MTs who went into IT, but where is there input.  It may have been there initially, however over the past year it seems like we are having a lag in the software correction process in that it is not being updated in terms of correcting capability.  I have many sugges ...

Suggestions For Antiviral Software
Jul 25, 2012

My McAfee subscription is running out soon and I don't really want to pay 70 bucks to renew it, especially since it was 44 last year.  Any suggestions on good software?  AVG or Kaspersky?  Any recommendations on what you like, less than 50 bucks.  I have done the freeware before and did not really feel secure.  Thanks. ...

Any Suggestions For Transcription Software?
May 16, 2013

Does anyone out there know of a reliable transcription software program that can be downloaded from the internet? Over the years I have used Express Scribe, but after recently downloading to my new computer (Win 8), I have been unable to get any sound. Nothing. Multiple support requests result in the same answer over and over - but still no sound. Really need a reliable (free or low cost) program that works with a foot pedal. Any suggestions? ...

Suggestions For A Good Antivirus Software?
Jul 15, 2011

I have just spent the better part of my evening waging war against a very pesky and persistent virus called backdoor.cycbot.  After several scans in safe mode, I think I finally got it, but now a bunch of my desktop icons are gone and on my start menu, when you click on the program name, there's nothing, just the word "empty."  Long story short, I had manually find all my programs through Windows Explorer and creat a shortcut on my desktop for each and every one of them and I stil ...

Line Count Software Suggestions
Feb 24, 2015

Can anyone recommend line counting software? ...

Windows 7 Compatible Software/foot Pedal
Sep 14, 2010

Hi, My 3-year-old Windows XP laptop crashed on Monday; thankfully my 7-year-old Windows XP desktop still chugs along (slowly) and I've been able to do my transcription work without a glitch (for the most part). However, I need to get a new laptop, and I'm going to be buying a Windows 7 laptop. My boyfriend already has a Windows 7 and he is testing my transcription software and foot pedal on the virtual Windows XP mode that Windows 7 Professional comes with. The problem is that while ...

No More Stedmans!!!
Aug 16, 2010

Help!! I've been using Stedmans Smartype for years and the last version they released worked with Office 2003 and Windows XP.  We've upgraded computers and called them and they said they do not have any releases planned - They told me the product is essentially dead.    What other products does everyone use for medical based Word Expanders in MS Word?    ...

Stedmans Spellcheck
Jun 14, 2011

Curious if anyone knows where I can get a good price on the Stedmans Medical Spellcheck CD-ROM?  I am starting a new MT job at home and was thinking about purchasing this for my home computer. Thanks! ...

Stedmans - How To Turn It On?
Feb 09, 2012

I just installed spell checker. How do I turn it on? Can it be put on favorite bar or will it automatically spell check everything I do on the computer? Please help, new MT. ...

Stedmans Spell Checker
Nov 09, 2010

question, got a different work computer that runs vista and word 2007. I'm looking for an affordable place to get a Stedman's dictionary download. any advice? ...

Stedmans's - CD Or Book? What's Your Preference?
Dec 01, 2011

I'm in a position where I really need to break down and get other Stedman's besides my trusty Oncology Words.  What is everyone's preference - Stedman's on CD or the printed version/book? I'm thinking for me it will be beneficial time-wise to have it on CD.  Any thoughts?   Thanks in advance ;) ...

Which Stedmans Med Speller Works With Win XP?
Nov 20, 2012

. ...

Good Electronic Medical Dictionary Other Than Stedmans
Sep 24, 2012

Does anybody know of a good electronic medical dictionary on CD-ROM?  Thank you!  ...

AUTOCORRECT - How To Coph From Windows XP To Windows 7
Aug 22, 2013

HOW TO COPY AUTOCORRECT FROM WINDOWS XP TO WINDOWS 7 ...

Smartype - What To Use Instead?
Mar 02, 2011

I know this is probably reallyyy old, but I have been using Smartype for the past 10 years.  I now have a new job and they are loading Microsoft 2007 onto my computer and I cannot transfer Smartype into it as I guess this is a dinasour.  Can anyone please tell me what you are using insteady of Smartype?  Thanks so much! ...

Need 64 Bit Smartype
Jan 17, 2012

I need 64 bit smartype program, I have the 32 bit program but will not work with windows 7, not so happy about that, does any one have one or know how to get a copy?   ...

Smartype?
Nov 30, 2012

Is anyone using Smartype?  I used it back in the days of WP5.1.  Most of the windows expanders I've used have "stuttered."  Wondered if this one does, too. Tried several that where o=and f=for if I type "of" I get andfor Looking for something that works.  ...

SmarType Help, Please
Mar 08, 2013

I am just staring with SmarType and am having an issue whenever I use the word "he."  SmarType kept replacing "he" with "her," so I deleted "her" from the auto-option.  I thought that would fix the issue, but now it's replacing "he" with "heart," which is now the first auto-option word beginning with "h-e."   It's getting monotonous and time-consuming having to go back and correct this, as you can imagine. Has anyone else encountered this with SmarType and how did you ...

Smartype Editscript
Jul 27, 2010

I have read to many articles on MT stars to get my smartype to work with Editscript.  Last night it worked briefly but I would have the hit the spacebar and the type the first letter and then choose the expansion.  Then it did not work again.  There has to be a way for smartype to work with Editscript.  There is enought computer "wizards" that this probably could be resolved.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I would hate to give up on this program number 1 i ...

Smartype And Inscribe
Mar 18, 2011

I have just accepted a position that uses Inscribe.  I have been using Smartype for 4 years on the account I work on in MS Word.  I've been searching for 2 days trying to find out if Smartype will work in Inscribe and have found next to nothing on the 2 programs together (lots of info for Inscribe alone and little on Smartype alone).  The company said they do not know if Smartype will work with Inscribe.  Can anyone help me with this?  Thanks in advance for any ...

In The New Version Of Smartype...
Jan 19, 2012

I downloaded the new version of Smartype, and I need to figure out how you get something not to expand like say if you type pm and it expands it but you don't want it to.  The older version you could type the word and press the shift key while pressing the spacebar and it would not expand, but it does not work that way on this version.  I have no idea how to change the hotkey from the spacebar either.  I have looked through the help pages and can't find it.  ...

Anyone Else Doing The Smartype 30-day Trial?
Jan 25, 2012

It does not look like my original Smartype.  There is only a suggestion box and no Smartline like I am used to, but I have adjusted the suggestion box and it's better.  I am getting used to it.  I like how fast it is. The vocabulary seems bigger, especially the phrases.  I'm going to spend some time importing my old ST entries this afternoon.  Overall I really like it and will likely purchase it with the current special. At least I can stop worrying about w ...

Smartype - Reviews On It ?
Jan 01, 2013

Considering buying Smartype. Looking for reviews on it. Thanks! ...

Stedman's Smartype
Apr 19, 2013

Hello.  I'm a Stedman's Smartype user (Version 5.1.2600.5512) on a Windows XP with Word 2002.  Wanting to get a new computer.  Will my version of Smartype (Copyright 2004) work with Windows 8/Office 365?  Thanks! ...

Speedtype Vs Smartype
Oct 16, 2013

Since the old Smartype does not support Windows 7 or 8, only XP, I bought the new (not Stedman's anymore) Smartype.  It is not very good at all.  I contacted Speedtype, which looked really great, similiar to the old Smartype (I can macro large blocks of text for OP reports) and spoke with the CEO!!! REALLY?? She was fabulous and told me there was a shortcut to get your old blocks of text into Speedtype without cutting and pasting.  I have not tried the 15 day trial period yet ...

Word 2003/Smartype
Jan 04, 2010

Does anyone know if there is a fix for Word 2003 to correct the compatibility issue with Smartype?  If I highlight a word and then type without deleting the text, Word will lock up.  Sometimes if I type over highlighted text without pressing delete,  I get three duplicate letters in a row, and then the cursor scrolls to the bottom of the screen and Word crashes.  It is a real pain to have to hit delete all the time, and if anyone knows of a way to fix this, I'd appr ...

Trying SmarType For The 1st Time Today
Mar 07, 2013

My first adventure with a word expander (besides auto correct/auto expand) so I can't figure out if I'm more apprehensive or more excited...Crossing my fingers as I start my shift that SmarType is as great as I've heard it is and really a valuable tool! ...

Smartype Vocabulary List
Dec 16, 2014

Does anyone know how to print a vocabulary list in Smartype?? ...