A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

No more Stedmans!!! - Stacie ES

Posted: Aug 16, 2010

Help!! I've been using Stedmans Smartype for years and the last version they released worked with Office 2003 and Windows XP.  We've upgraded computers and called them and they said they do not have any releases planned - They told me the product is essentially dead. 

What other products does everyone use for medical based Word Expanders in MS Word? 

What?? - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh dear. Seriously?

I'm going to speculate it's because of the way that Smartype integrates with Word and so does NOT integrate with web based applications such as Bayscribe. More and more applications are becoming web based and not so tied in to a local copy of Word like Dictaphone is, for instance. It makes Smartype a little less appealing for new purchasers and a little more cumbersome for people like me who don't want to change. I work in Bayscribe on one account and type in Word and then cut and paste into Bayscribe. It's sort of a pain, but it works.

I've read on this board that Instant Text or Shorthand, which are both by the same company, are both excellent choices. I tried IT and was trying to type and make money and learn it at the same time and failed miserably. I may have to go pull that back out and give it another shot.

chances are... - that it will still work NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Does not work - - Stacie ES

[ In Reply To ..]
It will install on Vista but wont run with Windows 2007. The install wont even run on Windows 7. Fails right away.

Stedmans new owner states they don't think they're going to do anything with it but the guy on the phone wouldn't say anything official. There hasn't been a release in about 7 years.

Word expander - jeannieinDenver

[ In Reply To ..]
I use pcshorthand by Microsoft.
Go to pcshorthand.com.
Good luck. I know how frustrating it is that your old program will no longer work. Years ago I had to rebuy Quark Xpress at $799 when Mac went to OS10. Arghhh!

ShortHand is the best - compatible with all windows applications

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Libraries - Stacie ES

[ In Reply To ..]
Shorthand doesn't look bad but it starts with no libraries in it. Where can you get some good medical libraries. Commercial or free?
Instant Text can import your Smartype and you won't lose your abbreviations. - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Instant Text also comes with a bunch of med glossaries already there for you to use.
Instant Text is now available as a - download too..sm
[ In Reply To ..]
here's the link

Similar Messages:

Stedmans Spellcheck
Jun 14, 2011

Curious if anyone knows where I can get a good price on the Stedmans Medical Spellcheck CD-ROM?  I am starting a new MT job at home and was thinking about purchasing this for my home computer. Thanks! ...

Stedmans - How To Turn It On?
Feb 09, 2012

I just installed spell checker. How do I turn it on? Can it be put on favorite bar or will it automatically spell check everything I do on the computer? Please help, new MT. ...

Stedmans Spell Checker
Nov 09, 2010

question, got a different work computer that runs vista and word 2007. I'm looking for an affordable place to get a Stedman's dictionary download. any advice? ...

Stedmans's - CD Or Book? What's Your Preference?
Dec 01, 2011

I'm in a position where I really need to break down and get other Stedman's besides my trusty Oncology Words.  What is everyone's preference - Stedman's on CD or the printed version/book? I'm thinking for me it will be beneficial time-wise to have it on CD.  Any thoughts?   Thanks in advance ;) ...

Which Stedmans Med Speller Works With Win XP?
Nov 20, 2012

. ...

Good Electronic Medical Dictionary Other Than Stedmans
Sep 24, 2012

Does anybody know of a good electronic medical dictionary on CD-ROM?  Thank you!  ...

Having Trouble Using Stedmans Smartype With Windows 7/Suggestions For Other Software That Does The S
Aug 16, 2011

I tried loading my Stedmans Smartype on my new Windows 7 computer. It won't read it even with the addition of Windows 7 Pro which is supposed to read 32 bit programs. Any suggestions for new or different software to use? Or just suggestions for using the program with Windows 7 would be great. Thanks! ...

Stedmans Spell Checker-How To Set It Up In Spell Check
Dec 03, 2010

I just downloaded the Stedmans Spell Checker to work with my Word Documents, and I can't figure out how to make it work with Word. I went into Spell check, Options, and saw custom dic, but don't know where to go from there to set it up. Help please, and thank you! ...