A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Stedmans's - CD or Book? What's your preference? - sadie

Posted: Dec 01, 2011

I'm in a position where I really need to break down and get other Stedman's besides my trusty Oncology Words. 

What is everyone's preference - Stedman's on CD or the printed version/book?

I'm thinking for me it will be beneficial time-wise to have it on CD.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance ;)

reply - Anna

[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely on CD is best. I don't even bother using books any more.

Book vs CD - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I personally like books because it's an opportunity to force my eyes off my computer screen. And I can write in my books if I find a new word or surgical equipment or something. I don't know if you can do that with a CD--that is, add a new entry. Does anyone know?

Similar Messages:

Reference Preference
Dec 02, 2010

I am new to MTStars and am currently enrolled as a MT student working toward completing an AAS degree. I am in my 6th quarter and starting to transcribe documents and reports in all the different fields. This week our transcription class discussion was centered around different reference resources and guides and I was wondering what are some of the favorites that are actually used by experienced MTs. I have never worked in a medical profession and making a huge transition after becoming una ...

Preference? Nuance Or Precyse?
Jul 22, 2013

I'm taking a short poll.  You don't have a job at all.  You have 2 offers; Nuance and Precyse.  Based on your OVERALL opinion of both companies, one word answers please, Nuance or Precyse?  Thanks. ...

S/l 'case Preference' On Neuro Exam
Jan 08, 2010

It's a patient with with severe global aphasia. He dictates the following: Cranial nerves, of course she cannot cooperative to measure and test visual fields. She has some spontaneous extraocular motility, and overall, most important, I did not see any **s/l 'case preference' **  He goes on to say there is no nystagmus. She does have a right central facial palsy. ...

Font And Background Color Preference
May 27, 2014

I am wondering if anyone has a preference to the colors.  My eyes burn terribly and I get a really bad headache about halfway through my shift.  The place I used to work for was in-house and had all their transcription computers set so the font was white and the background was dark blue.  Wonding of this is meant to be easier on the eyes?  ...

No More Stedmans!!!
Aug 16, 2010

Help!! I've been using Stedmans Smartype for years and the last version they released worked with Office 2003 and Windows XP.  We've upgraded computers and called them and they said they do not have any releases planned - They told me the product is essentially dead.    What other products does everyone use for medical based Word Expanders in MS Word?    ...

Stedmans Spellcheck
Jun 14, 2011

Curious if anyone knows where I can get a good price on the Stedmans Medical Spellcheck CD-ROM?  I am starting a new MT job at home and was thinking about purchasing this for my home computer. Thanks! ...

Stedmans - How To Turn It On?
Feb 09, 2012

I just installed spell checker. How do I turn it on? Can it be put on favorite bar or will it automatically spell check everything I do on the computer? Please help, new MT. ...

Transcription Software - Any Preference Of Express Scribe Or Gear Player?
Nov 19, 2009

Does anyone have any preference of Express Scribe or Gear player?  Is one better than the other? ...

Stedmans Spell Checker
Nov 09, 2010

question, got a different work computer that runs vista and word 2007. I'm looking for an affordable place to get a Stedman's dictionary download. any advice? ...

Which Stedmans Med Speller Works With Win XP?
Nov 20, 2012

. ...

Good Electronic Medical Dictionary Other Than Stedmans
Sep 24, 2012

Does anybody know of a good electronic medical dictionary on CD-ROM?  Thank you!  ...

Having Trouble Using Stedmans Smartype With Windows 7/Suggestions For Other Software That Does The S
Aug 16, 2011

I tried loading my Stedmans Smartype on my new Windows 7 computer. It won't read it even with the addition of Windows 7 Pro which is supposed to read 32 bit programs. Any suggestions for new or different software to use? Or just suggestions for using the program with Windows 7 would be great. Thanks! ...

Stedmans Spell Checker-How To Set It Up In Spell Check
Dec 03, 2010

I just downloaded the Stedmans Spell Checker to work with my Word Documents, and I can't figure out how to make it work with Word. I went into Spell check, Options, and saw custom dic, but don't know where to go from there to set it up. Help please, and thank you! ...

Does Anybody Still Keep A Log Book?
Dec 05, 2011

I would like to start using my laptop in a couple of weeks (MQ upgrade) and it seems like a good time to give up the log book. I have been keeping one since I started 10 years ago. No patient info, just job #, work type and length. I just like the idea of keeping them honest, not really trusting them, although I only find a missing job once or twice a year. Just would like some feedback. I feel it may be slowing me down in between jobs. TIA. ...

Net Book For Transcription????
Dec 03, 2010

I currently use my own PC for my MT work.. but I am looking to get a new computer..  I use the express scribe program for work. I travel alot and I think it will help. pros and cons?? anyone else use one?? do you like it??   ...

What Do I Do With A Book Title?
Feb 10, 2011

dictated:  I recommended the book Everyone Poops. I don't know that I have ever known the rule for this.  If I ever did, I have forgotten it. 'Everyone Poops' "Everyone Poops" Everyone Poops Help please, and thanks. ...

BOS - New Book Of Style?
Jul 16, 2012

Anyone know when they are coming out with a new Book of Style?  I am afraid to buy the 3rd edition since it is from 2008.  Thanks. ...

Best Drug Help Book?
Jul 22, 2012

I am interested in updating my drug book as there have been so many new medications since my last 2001 Monthly Prescribing Reference Book and I cannot afford to keep subscribing to that.  What reference book/internet site would you suggest to help me with new medications.  Thank you for your help and response. ...

Reference Book
May 25, 2013

Does anyone know of a "be-all/end-all" reference book for all the stages and grades across all disciplines (specialties) and whether they are expressed in roman or arabic numerals.  If there is, it would be worth it's weight in gold to me (almost).  Thanks! - B ...

Question For The M&Ms...what Book Are You Using?
Apr 02, 2014

What you all are describing below sounds suspiciously familiar ... lol. ...

Anybody NOT Using 3rd Book Of Style?
May 04, 2014

Please tell where you work so I can apply there -- seriously -- sick of ridiculous QA. ...

Got Out And Wrote A Book!
May 19, 2015

Hi everyone! I had to come here to share the good news.  I've been an MT for 19 years and just got out last November.  I was really getting tired of the way the industry was going, and wrote when the work was slow to none.  I've finally made my dream come true and published on Amazon just today! I hope you don't mind me coming here and sharing this. If I can do this, so can you!  Self-publishing on Kindle Direct Publishing is easy when you follow their guide ...

How Many MTs Use The Book Of Style?
Nov 07, 2014

How many MTs use the Book of Style?  Am I the only one who thinks this is a total rip off just like dues to the former AAMT were?  Is not this self promotion to enrich oneself three times now and passing this propaganda off to MTSOs as the "industry standard?" I know I sure did not get a vote as to what is and what is not this so-called "industry standard" and have not used that book in years!  Poverty wages are now the "industry standard."  Who else is fed up with this load of BS? ...

The Anatomy Coloring Book
Oct 26, 2009

For any MT students or new MTs I would suggest this book.  It's been around for years.  It has very detailed, labeled drawings of anatomical structures that you color in (need colored pencils or fine-tipped markers)  I had one of these years and years ago (before I knew what an MT was).  Helps you visualize the anatomy and remember the names of the structures.  I had fun with it...  ...

AAMT BOS.....CD Or Book? Which Do You Prefer And Why? Thanks. Nm
Mar 10, 2010

x ...

Life's Little Instruction Book
Jun 29, 2010

I recently picked up a little book that was sitting on my bookshelf. It is called "Life's Little Instruction Book" It was written by a father for his son, and turned into a coffee table/bathroom book. It has 511 'life lessions' that one father wanted to tell his son. If you have the chance, you should pick it up. I thought I would share a few with all of you, I know I needed the reminder today: 1. Compliment three people every day. 99. Think big thoughts, but relish small p ...

Layoffs -- If You Look In The MQ Address Book
Jun 02, 2010

nm ...

Maybe The Name Of A Drug Reference Book?
Jul 19, 2010

Looking for possibly the name of a book (s/l Apocerteries).  Doc states they looked up potential drug interaction and according to "Apocerties" there is none.  Can't find anything close to even get a hit. ...

AHDI BOOK OF STYLE
Aug 12, 2010

Can anyone tell me any of the new changes in the AHDI book of style. ? ...

Book Of Style Useless
Mar 16, 2011

It would seem that the AAMT/AHDI just look for ways to make money on their ole' book of style.  Changing from one term in one book, to using it differently in a second, and now the third is different from that.  What is the fourth going to do, go back to the first use.  Throw them all out. They don't know what they are doing.  Their transcription bible is useless to train from, and they charge a whole lot of money for useless. (Just a little frustrated, wouldn' ...