A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Weary and Beat Down - Tatiana

Posted: Jan 12, 2015

Nuance's policy:  Please do all of the work necessary whenever we need you, but please don't charge for the work because we do not actually like to pay you.  This is the only industry I know where you need to know everything a doctor knows, but get paid less than minimum wage.  The irony of those creating the rules, but actually do not have a sweet clue what it takes is grand.  My rant is done.  Happy Monday and cheers!

Weary and Beat Down - OKMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd give you more than 1 like, but it won't let me! :-)

Like someone said on here - before

[ In Reply To ..]
an MLS needs the knowledge of a doctor, a pharmacist and an English teacher.

Most places only hire experienced MTs so they want all that knowledge plus experience but only want to pay minimum wage? Dream on. N

Weary and Beat Down - Donna

[ In Reply To ..]
I was let go last month. My last quality score was 100%, never much lower than 99%, but could not keep up with the high line count. It is really hard to do both quality and quantity.

We "need to know everything a doctor knows" - Seriously? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's be real here. By no stretch of the imagination do transcriptionists "know everything a doctor knows." That is pure and utter nonsense.

We do need to know language of anatomy, physiology, pharmacology and various subspecialties etc. to be able to edit or transcribe a medical record with a context that makes sense and is accurate. But to say that we have the same knowledge that a physician possesses - a physician who has gone through medical school, residency and then sometimes additional years of specialty training, followed by years of practicing medicine? Absurd!

I am a long-time 25+ years in the business MT. I truly understand the skill and knowledge that our job requires. As the years have ticked by, the MT has changed - no doubt about it.

But I am not so deluded or egocentric to think that I have the same knowledge as a physician.

Thanks for the laugh.

We have to know it well enough to catch their ridiculous lab result - errors and catch their bogus med dosages!

[ In Reply To ..]
...Nuance expects you to catch all of this, not just use correct punctuation and good spelling of anatomical terminology. Here's an example:

MD dictates, "this is a normal low-voltage fast activity EEG."

We have to have our brains engaged enough to know that there is no such thing as a "normal" low-voltage fast activity EEG. Low-voltage fast activity is almost always indicative of one or more serious potential problems! Hence, you blank the word normal and make him put it back in if he wants to really say that!

Another one I had just last week, MD says, "Mitral valve is normal, 3 cusps are seen."

Duh!? Google that one.

So, yeah, whether it is the doc's ditzy error or Nuance testing you?,?, you are expected to catch this stuff. Sorry to break it to you.

LOL - if I knew there was no such thing - as a "low-voltage fast activity EEG"

[ In Reply To ..]
OR if I knew that 3 cusps is not normal for a mitral valve - I'd BE a doctor.

If that is what a doctor actually says THAT is what I am transcribing. Once I start getting paid more than a few bucks above minimum wage -- then I'll question things.
You do that, and it's you they will blame,. not to doctor - Will
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Oh, I am confident it was purely coincidental, but this IS the report - that was randomly chosen for post audit.

[ In Reply To ..]
I mean they would not purposefully set certain people up to fail, right? Right? Right. I'm convinced it was just pure-dee-happenstance.

I don't think that's what that poster meant--- - They way I took it is

[ In Reply To ..]
that companies EXPECT us to have that knowledge (for example, if we get pay docked for not "catching," for example, the wrong dosage of a medication).....of course we don't have the same knowledge as a doctor -- so WHY would they expect us to catch certain things like that for example. What, are we supposed to look up every single thing (lab value, drug dosage, and so on) to make sure the doctor is correct? NO - we are supposed to transcribe WHAT HE SAYS....but if we do that and he says it wrong...WE take the hit....

No, they expect you to know something about what you're transcribing - Will

[ In Reply To ..]
You wait. There will come a time when you transcribe what he/she says, it doesn't make sense, you don't blank it and send it through as the nonsense it is. The client WILL complain and, believe me, the MTSO isn't going to take your side in it. Anyone who has worked in this field for any length of time knows this either by personal experience or by seeing what took place when it happened to someone else.

"needing to know everything a doctor knows" - phatty

[ In Reply To ..]
I mean no disrespect, but I think you missed the point. We need to know a great deal, much more than a minimum-wage worker might know. Also, if you are in acute care,. you have to know many different specialties. I have a doctor that always states 75 mg of fentanyl on his op reports -- never 75 mcg of 50 mcg, so you have to know as much to put out a viable and CORRECT report. Many cannot spell, and some cannot make a complete sentence to save their lives. I guess F11 is for the specific reason of erasing a poorly dictated report and just transcribing it.

I think the post meant we have to know what they know in order to correct a report, make sure it it is correct, and that is a lot of responsibility for $8.00 an hour.

Similar Messages:

Gait's Beat? Or Gaits Beat
Jun 22, 2012

Normal stride and step length. Gaits beat is normal. Is it gait's beat or gaits beat ...

Weary, Worn Out, Tired
Mar 27, 2015

I just finished up the week, and no I am not doing any of their OT either. After today, I just was so fed up with the accounts  I was getting.  The sound quality was just horrible.  I don't understand this company at all.   Why do they insist on causing such grief to their employees.  After today, my nerves were just shot after pulling report after report with horrendous sound quality.  I am literally counting the days to get out of their clutches.  Like ...

I Am Growing So Weary Of Being Expected To Know As Much As A Doctor...
Jun 04, 2011

for my measly little wage.  what is up with that?  I am talking mostly about comments I get back from quality people who act like they are doctors - what?  but you would rather work for peanuts?  I have never ever eluded to the fact I would ever know as much as a doctor.  I am a good researcher and a bit OCD about my job (a job I used to absolutely LOVE), but do I know as much as a doctor?  not.  if I did, I would certainly have gone to medical school.  ma ...

So Weary Of Having The Worst Dictators In My Life!
Nov 17, 2012

These dictators should be fined for their horrible English language ability. ...

If I Can't Beat Them, Is It Possible To Join Them?
Jan 16, 2010

I was just recently hired in by a company who told me that I could not have any other VR software on my computer.  Why not?  Well suffice it to say,  I quit because of other things going on,but I started thinking;what if I did have my own VR software and why not allow it while working for this company.  My question is if I bought my own software for VR and train it while the dictators are dictating, can I increase my speed by just talking into my own software while the other ...

Hey, Webmedx Beat Out MQ
Jan 14, 2011

2010 Top 20 Best in KLAS Awards: Software & Professional Services report. In addition to receiving the Best in KLAS 2010 award, the company was also rated No. 1 in their category for professional services in the KLAS 2010 "Transcription Services: Competition, Technology, and Consolidation" report. Ummmm,  I seriously thought MQ was more up to date with software, but was I ever wrong. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/webmedx-named-best-in-klas-and-ranked-1-transcription-servi ...

NUisANCE Has Me So Beat Down ...
Jun 12, 2014

Seven days to go until retirement and I am so tempted to just not show up for the rest of the time.  If they went a truly beaten down and demoralized MLS then they've got one in me.  I have never worked for a company that treats its employees as badly as NUisANCE treats theirs.  And they wonder why they can't keep anybody.  Maybe if they'd treat people as human beings ... but no, that's too much to hope for.  As long as I'm on a rant here, my int ...

Great Job Webmedx. Beat MQ.
Jan 14, 2011

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/webmedx-named-best-in-klas-and-ranked-1-transcription-services-vendor-for-second-year-in-a-row-113386054.html   Webmedx won KLAS award as the best transcription company and beat MQ by over 12 points.  ...

For Those That Like To Beat A Dead Horse
Jan 30, 2011

Have some respect for the dead... come on. ...

I Hate To Beat A Dead Horse, But...........
Jun 10, 2014

Down below when I was trying to figure out if the reason I got laid off was because I was PT (CCM told me all PT were being laid off) or that I was in California (I thought maybe this was the case).....I realize that neither of these are true. I know there are still plenty of PT'ers left AND MTs in CA. So the only thing left (since like I said I always passed their stupid audits and always worked my graveyard/Saturday/sunday/all holidays shifts is that they were just trying to get rid of ...

Coders, Do You Feel Like You've Been Beat Up Some Days After Coding All Day?
Feb 23, 2010

Coders, do you feel like you've been beat up some days after coding all day? Struggling with the Edits, documentation, CMS, and the massive volumes of rules to be checked?  Just wondering.  ...

Got This From Nuance India Website. (not Trying To Beat A Dead Horse, Here)
Jul 19, 2012

I just thought this was kind of absurd... "The future of Medical Transcription, as of today, is in use of Speech Recognition Technology. With the advent of this technology, manual typing has been eliminated. The Recognition percentage in most of the leading speech recognition software products is around 80% to 85%."http://www.ntsindia.in/mttraining.asp ...

When Does Working For 6.5 Cpl VBC Beat Not Working Because Of No Work?!!!!
Oct 09, 2014

d ...