A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Needing to touch base about something - MT

Posted: Feb 09, 2013

In the past week my team has gotten several e mails. Main topic covers 2 things: Poor quality (a huge number of major errors being reported to sup), and the other Quantity (people are not living up to the required new lph by the new compensation plan.  E mails indicated people will be receiving phone calls about this, and poor quality will be terminated from account.  Nothing said about what happens with the lph lower than compensation plan, but did say phone calls will be made.

Regarding this, it occurs to me at once they need people to slow down to stop the errors and state that there will be terminations if quality is not better.  Almost in the next breath, they state people are not making lph and need to speed up and phone calls will be made.

Regarding both threats, I am putting a query out there, as I only am reading from the point of view from management (these e mails): Are these threats actually true? Is anyone being fired out there or terminated from account for quality and lph?

I personally am ok b/c I listen to every single word and every if, and, comma, etc.  I get those pesky e mails from time to time "incorrect verbiage, major error," but not enough to get me canned and I am reaching the lph.  I personally am doing what I can to not let these e mails drag me down so I make mistakes or lower line counts. But because I am isolated and do not talk to anyone else out there, I wonder: Is everyone ok? Are these threats true?

I really want to know if these are mind games or if we are all bad as these e mails suggest. Would like feedback to know if this is reality or mindgaming again...

Ya know what is really super strange? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This sounds precisely like the email I got from my super (and I use that term loosely) this week at MModal.

There are "too many errors, and too many not meeting line counts." Hmmmm...

Are these 2 companies already run by the same person? Do they share cliff notes on how to use scare tactics to make a buck? What is really going on???

They are both fairly large companies so the likelihood - of recieving emails based on

[ In Reply To ..]
poor quality and low line counts is not really a huge coincidence. After all, those are the two biggest factors in this industry - Production and quality and there will always be MTs who for whatever reason slip in these areas and when too many at one time, then thats when they send the "general" email to everyone; even if it does not apply to you.

one wants to buy the other and vice versa - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
wouldn't surprise me if Nuance bought MM by the middle of this year. That has always been one of their goals.
Okay.... - scratching head on that one.
[ In Reply To ..]
Where did that come from?
The fact that Nuance wants to by MM? - Sm
[ In Reply To ..]
or the post in general. Nuance has had its eye on MM for a long time. I don't know what you're scratching your head about.
Because we were talking about threatening - emails with regards to production and quality.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Oh, but the thread went another way above my post - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Their impossible-to-meet demands put the MT - between a rock and a hard place. S_M

[ In Reply To ..]
Precisely where they want us. They hope more of us will quit. (I believe that 2013 will see more MTs leaving the field than any time in medical transcription history.) And then, of course, if they must fire anyone, they have their built-in "excuse", because if you speed up, you make too many errors, and if you slow down and are careful, you don't make the lines.

It's a win-win for them, and a lose-lose for us.

Why do they want us to quit do you think? - To justify outsourcing?

[ In Reply To ..]
It does seem ridiculous and unseemly, the way they run Nuance from an MT perspective. I think the worst thing is the constant threat of the 3-months of cutting pay significantly to punish you for making one QA error, that is definitely a huge insult to any working person who has to budget, having that hanging over your head, then knowing you are taking a pretty drastic pay cut for a fairly long time simply because you were maybe trying to get a few more lines. They get you at both ends, I tell ya.

Also I have noticed when they are in a pinch they ask for "overtime" but as we all know OT with them is really not worth the time or effort for a few dollars, and they never offer any extra incentives like they used to.

It does seem engineered for both impossibility and despair, so yes I do wonder if they want us to quit, but what is their endgame?
"Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
[ In Reply To ..]
They may well have an actual "end game," but I honestly think they're just awful at running a transcription business. Once you happen to get a few bad ones at the top, the same kind are hired downward, and bada boom ... one big mess.
I'm so glad I opened this because the quote sounded like you were - insulting the last poster.
[ In Reply To ..]
I was thinking "here we go again." But I'm very glad I didn't just ignore it and checked the content. The attacks are getting me so frustrated with this board lately that I'm starting to think the worst of everyone, I think.
Except that nearly ALL companies are doing the same. - YES theyre incompetent, and YES theyre greedy! nm
[ In Reply To ..]
But that does not explain why they want us - to quit
[ In Reply To ..]
I guess the obvious answer is then they can send all the work to India. To me the insult of first lowering pay dramatically in general, and in addition then the threat of losing (in my case) $100-200 every paycheck for 3 MONTHS because I made one little mistake (with the pay cut it was hard enough to budget, if I lost the bonus, what then?), it seems harshly punitive. How is someone supposed to budget with those kinds of odds, especially when you are used to your pay averaging at least $10,000-20,000 a year more? So yes, it seems as if they are almost spitting in our faces and daring us to quit, so if not an endgame, is the motivation simply to offshore more than they are already?

ridiculous demands - snick

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been with Nuance since September 2012. I had been at my last job for 14 years, the last 2 doing VR editting. The pay was more than I am getting now, but left because they stopped offering healthcare in August 2012, after losing $30,000 in income in 2011, that was the last straw for me. Anyway, my last account was a multi-facility acute care giant here in Florida. Lots of ESL doctors. Our minimum lines were 1500 a day, but I usually exceeded that, at times doing 2000-2500 lines a day. Although there was no incentive program, I still earned a decent wage. I can't seem to even make the minimum lines required for Nuance and I am working my A** off! Does anyone make incentive at this company? I am told frequently by my supervisor that there are people doing 400 lines per hour? On WHAT account? Clinic notes? Come on! I have been doing this 30+ years and was a former Transcription Supervisor. I have always exceeded expectations and my production has been called "impressive" by former employers. How the heck does Nuance count lines??? Anyone else experiencing this?
Not to cast aspersions on any super-talented folks - who can do 400 with GOOD quality, but...
[ In Reply To ..]
I've seen some stats on my team, and our highest producer (400+) often has the lowest or amongst the lowest quality. Like any field of endeavor, there are some who really are geniuses and quite above average at what they do (and as far as MT goes, I'm obviously not one of them, at least in terms of speed). And then there are those are faking their way through, in this case just to get a paycheck, quality be d*mned.

That is impossible - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The US transcriptionists are in the tiny minority. The bulk of the work is done overseas=the bulk of the mistakes are made by the majority of people doing the work.

I used to QA before they stopped letting US QA edit offshore reports. The errors were not tiny errors. The errors I saw were huge, scary errors. I saw them for myself and I really felt that some of the people had no business working in this industry. But this is Nuance...need I say more.

Anyway, my point is that you are getting the E-mail because it is a problem with the company. This does not mean you are making the errors, but it lets you know that the errors are being made. When I used to work there, I took those Emails with a grain of salt.

Another thought about speeding up and quality issues... being penalized for sending things to QA is ridiculous. If your QA percentage exceeds a certain amount, you don't get the bonus. I'm sure that makes people very wary of sending things to QA. Another reason why all those errors are out there floating around. Nuance really does not have a clue how to run a transcription company.

who edits the offshore reports? - curious

[ In Reply To ..]
I had no idea Nuance stopped letting US QA edit the offshore reports. I wonder why on earth they would do THAT? Do you know who does edit the offshore reports?

anyone? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Strictly offshore QA - Fascinating, isn't it? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Very! Sounds like they want to keep that cat - in the bag
[ In Reply To ..]

touch base - new but old

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not get that email but it is getting harder and harder to maintain the LPH along with the accuracy the way they want it, especially when there is not enough work out there for all of us. I am just now getting work coming in on my account and have been on and off all day waiting for it to come in. Luckily today was a day that I really didn't care and had nothing better to do but I still have several hours to work to get my 8 hours in and hopefully at the end will have the LPH that they want

I find the trend in threat level coincides with my - leads mood that day. Go figure.

[ In Reply To ..]
One day threats, next days all warm and fuzzy. Maybe bipolar is a requirement for the job.

I get the threats whenever I use my health insurance. - What the heck is that all about? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

it could be a coincidence - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
keep track. Document it. Then contact your state insurance commissioner if there is, indeed, a pattern.
Yes, there's a pattern. I hope next time I have to go - to the dentist, they just fire me. nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

"Touch Base" Phonecall From My Supervisor
Feb 19, 2014

What kind of fresh hell am I in for?  Anybody know?  TIA ...

Touching Base
Dec 14, 2011

I would be interested in touching base with some of the folks who were recently acquired by MQ in the EMT buyout.  I am finding the transition painfully difficult and wondering if I am the only one... ...

Don't Be Shy, How Many Took At Least 1 Cent Base Pay Cut
Jun 15, 2012

After becoming Nuance employee? I'm curious if any 9-centers (and up) got to keep their pay after mergers. ...

MD IN TOUCH TESTING
Jan 25, 2011

Has anyone done the testing for MD in Touch yet?  I got an email to test.  I haven't done it yet and was just wondering how it was.  I wonder if it has the written and transcription or just transcription, probably both.  I just dread testing.  I work for Nuance right now but need part time work to supplement too.  Well, if anyone has any info on the testing or how they are to work for, I would appreciate it.    ...

How To Get In Touch With DIT Transcription?
Nov 08, 2011

Does anyone know how to get in touch with DIT Transcription? ...

Losing My Touch
Aug 07, 2012

I hope it is okay.  I just need to vent a little.  I just got a new job with a very reputable company ( I prefer not to say which one) and yesterday was my first day.  I knew I would be on 100% QA.  I found out yesterday that I am only allowed to type 3 reports a day until I am off QA.  I am so upset.  I understand they have to make sure I am typing things accurately and according to format but 3 reports a day ?  Then later this afternoon I heard from the big b ...

Anybody Work For MD In Touch?
Jan 07, 2014

I went to their website, didn't see anywhere to apply, but I emailed and asked if they were hiring. Work there? Do you like it? ...

S/l Base Motor Symptoms
Oct 13, 2010

patient is on Prempro. had hot flashes at one time. obviously this "symptom" is menopausal related. any ideas?? ...

Is It A Base Plate Or Baseplate As In
Nov 24, 2014

thanks in advance ...

Base Plate Or Baseplate? Please
Jun 22, 2015

Google shows baseplate, all the QA examples have it as base plate.. ex. The tibia was exposed and a size 3 baseplate was placed ...

MD IN TOUCH Based In Florida
Jan 21, 2011

Does anyone have any info on MD In Touch based in Florida.  TIA ...

What The Heck Does Shrinking Cost Base Mean.
Aug 19, 2010

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aRYbCNbTPgQJ:www.marketwatch.com/story/medquist-reports-second-quarter-2010-results-with-revenue-up-26-primarily-due-to-spheris-asset-acquisition-in-april-2010-2010-08-11+medquist+restructuring&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a   The following results for both the three months and six months ended June 30, 2010 include the Spheris results from the acquisition date. Prior to its acquisition, Spheris had been ...

Decreased Breath Sounds At Right Base With (s/) E:A Changes...?
Aug 07, 2011

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help! ...

Where Is Base Rate Located In Ultipro?
Feb 11, 2012

Where in the heck can I find my base rate for transcription and ASR.  I used to see it before but for some reason I cannot find it.  TIA ...

S/l Okayindrum Application On An I-Touch Phone/sm
Feb 06, 2013

Ocular exam by ophthalmologist... Dictator says "An s/l okayindrum application on an I-Touch phone was used individually on each eye and separately." Any help is greatly appreciated! ...

Anyone Used Trackball Or Touch Pad Keyboards For Editing?
May 17, 2014

I'm so sick of having my right hand have to bounce back and forth from trackball to home keys, and arrow keys back to home keys it is much slower than transcription.  I also lose time having to constantly stop and feel for the home key position.  I did a search for keyboards and found two that have the trackball or touch pad in the middle lower portion of the keyboard so you can do what used to be mouse work with your thumbs and it looks like your fingers don't have to leave ...

X-ray Report/healing 5th Metatarsal Base Fracture
Nov 21, 2011

There is progressive healing of the fifth metatarsal base fracture overlying anatomical alignment. (s/l Trabecular _________) seen crossing previous fracture line. Thank you ...

Deborah's Touch Or Medtranscription. Any Info On This Company? Sm
Jun 09, 2010

Goes by both company names.  Any help would be appreciated.  They are in Phoenix, Arizona.  Thank you. ...

Soft Touch Keyboard For Excessive Typing
Aug 31, 2011

I need some of your opinions on soft touch keyboard for excessive typing.  Anyone have a favorite? ...

How To Help A Sticky Keyboard? Keys Seem To Be A Hard Touch But
Jun 22, 2014

Seems like for a while now the keys take a harder touch, sometimes they don't connect and I have to hit a key twice. it's a microsoft wireless comfort keyboard, model 1027.  I have taken canned air and blown dust and cat hair out of it,  wondering if using alcohol swabs gently in each key mechanism might help?  Space bar works well, seems to be only specific keys that stick or don't connect well. Backspace is one of the sticky ones.   Any suggestions apprec ...

Patient Has 2-3/6 _______ Beating Sound Left Base
Oct 19, 2012

s/l:  Patient has 2-3/6 _______ beating sound left base.  Lungs are clear ...

Microsoft Used To Make A Soft Touch Keyboard But Stopped...
May 20, 2010

really miss that keyboard, I can't remember its name but they quit making it about 5-6 years ago.  Does ayone know of a comparable one?  Where you barely touch the keys and there is no click?    ...

Super Good Keyboard With A Light Touch Response?
Jun 21, 2010

Has anyone any suggestions for a super good keyboard with a light touch response?  I hate the keyboard that came with my work equipment, bought another, but the keys clatter when I type and it's distracting.  Before I get a new one, I'd like to get some suggestions.  Thanks in advance my co-workers!  ...

Ortho Word - At Which Point A Curvilinear Incision Was Extended Into The Base Of The HYPOTHENUM
May 14, 2014

Doc dictating carpal tunnel release OP note. He states "at which point a curvilinear incision was extended into the base of the HYPOTHENUM, volar aspect of right wrist." I cannot verify that "hypothenum" is actually a real word. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks. ...

S/l "Hawkins Wright" Examination For Base Of Tongue, Epiglottis, AE Folds.
Jun 08, 2010

Hawkins Wright examination performed today revealed a normal appearing base of tongue, epiglottis, AE folds, arytenoids, false vocal cords, and true vocals cords with normal true vocal cord movement.   ...

The "saforted" Pain And Light Touch Over The Upper Lids
Nov 18, 2009

The "saforted" pain and light touch over the upper lids.????? Can't figure out the pain description ...

Any MLSs Involved In The So-called "In-Touch Program"?
Oct 14, 2014

Out of reportedly 2000 contacts, there has to be at least one of them here, right? ...

Vertebral Base Of The "system" Is Intact.
Feb 17, 2011

It sound exactly like system, but I've never heard that and cannot verify it.  Woud that be correct?   Thanks, mt ...