A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I've noticed some of you guys saying that - you refuse to do your

Posted: Feb 04, 2015

backup account or an unfamiliar account when you run out of work on your primary.  Are we allowed to do this?  I would rather stick my primary and flex my time to a later time or even not at all if possible.  I don't want to risk getting below 99% (which I still sometimes do even on my familiar primary account, but I know it would happen on my backup account, which is unfamilar to me, rarely work in it).   But I thought if we ran out of work we had to immediately hop on the secondary account.  I would love NOT to.  Then I read here that some of you DO this.   To those that do, have you always just flexed your time?  Does your TSM get her panties in a bunch if you don't go ahead and switch to another account?  TIA!

I personally find when I - run out of work

[ In Reply To ..]
Which seems to be A LOT lately, meaning I get OOW on ALL accounts - this happens generally in the morning because invariably OT was offered the night before and all the eager beavers got on there and cleaned it out.

So anyway, I then go off until there is quite a bit on my primary and I will not be scratching for all the other accounts little bits and pieces, half the time they run out too.

I just figure if I run out of work and I am going to be short hours, might as well make those hours count. Getting higher lph is almost the same as doing plenty of hours and of course lower lph due to secondary, tertiary, more unfamiliar accounts and specs.

When you have the lovely OOW for 15 minutes and you are magically granted the day off if you want - ooh, wait, except I need money, right? So no day off, just sitting there at the monitor waiting for work finally to come up?

I find if I wait until my primary has plenty on it and then go on it is more profitable for me. My TSM does not seem to notice or care in my case.

My platform automatically puts stats from all accounts first (which can be a pain sometimes, because some crappy accounts suddenly have like 10 stats which really aren't stats), also if I run out on my primary automatically the secondaries come up, but if I run out of all work and I am waiting for work to turn up, I feel I am justified in not logging back on if there is not much in my primary, since they have already interrupted the rhythm of my shift.

That's how I work it, anyway, but what I really wish? Stop overstaffing my primary and let me get a full day in!

ditto - newbutold

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 2 jobs so don't have the luxury to flex so I just end up short hours and make my hours count. I have a great account and just type as much as I can during my scheduled hours and still normally come out alright

I flex when I'm OOW on primary - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have a life (really) so I flex my time when I run out of work. I don't wait the 15 minutes either. I wait maybe 5 minutes and clock out. I don't send email to supervisor either. Why bother when she already knows there is little work available. There have only been very few times that I haven't been able to make up the time. My current supervisor hasn't said anything. Granted I only have my current primary and it keeps me busy most of the time, no secondaries. My supervisor tried to force some secondaries on me, but I told her straight up that I vary rarely run out of work so I have no need for a secondary and also I can't make any money when I'm jumping from account to account. Another reason that I gave her was that my primary has very specific account specs that are very different from other accounts I've been on in the past and I finally got my AutoCorrect entries in Word all changed for this account and I'd just rather not take on another account when there was no need. She didn't like it but I've managed to stave off any secondaries.

Their "policies" for everything are ridiculous. Just do your job and work when there is work and forget about the rest.

Same as above - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If I run out of work, I flex my time. My TSM, luckily, doesn't seem to be too worried about schedules, just as long as work doesn't go out of TAT (and with the small amount of work lately, that never happens anymore).

There always seems to be help needed on other teams' accounts, but I do not volunteer because I don't want to do work on an unfamiliar account, especially now with the backlash of this new compensation plan. My manager asked me once to help out for another TSM, but I just told her that I would rather flex my time and work on my main accounts. She seemed to understand my stance on that issue.

My advice would be to consider the consequences--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
There does not appear to be a hard and fast rule about how this plays out with the TSMs so you have to ask yourself how you would deal if you were called to the carpet on it. You may just get a warning (most likely) but then it could move to termination. How do you feel about that? How does that affect your personal situation? What if there is some initiative to cull the herd and they decide to cull those who are not sticking to their schedules, etc.

The other thing to consider is whether or not the work will materialize later in the week. Are you certain it will? Just some things to think about when making your decision.

It is not really fair that some of us are forced - to accept secondaries

[ In Reply To ..]
And others just get away with it, frankly.

I have objected strenuously too to having secondaries, but well tough on me, so you guys who only have one primary are really lucky. My primary is also very unusual and has lots of differences to the norm, but that did not matter in my case.

"Called to the carpet on it"? Really? I doubt very much whether they have a leg to stand on when the work is so thin on the ground due, I have to presume, to a combination of overstaffing and all the good dictators seemingly going to EHR.

If there is no work and you are free to leave the rest of the day, how are they going to call you out for coming on later when your primary has more work? It just seems like common sense to me.

Can you say what your situation is? You are giving plenty of advice but have not explained how you handle this situation yourself.

I simply mean everyone has to decide for themselves--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
how much risk they are willing to take. Are you willing to risk losing your job over it? If you are fired for not adhering to your schedule, my guess (again just a guess) is that you may not be able to collect unemployment. So my advice is to really understand the potential impact that you have to deal with which of course goes with any advice taken on this board of how to deal with things.

Right now, I do not have a secondary, as I was recently moved to this account. I also plan on quitting within the next few months so I am more willing to take chances that I was not before because my dependence on this job is lessening and we are preparing to just depend on my husband's income. Prior to that, I worked whatever was available because I had no choice, I needed the money.
What you say is the same thing as - most of us do
[ In Reply To ..]
Please understand, I am not waiting for the good stuff to come on the system, I am waiting for ANYTHING.

My primary is overstaffed, but it also has a lot of work and fast TAT (probably why overstaffed).

If anything at all comes on after getting OOW it will most likely be my primary, so how do you figure anyone would lose their job when there is no work on the primary and you have to go on later to do it?

It is not a choice, it is necessity. For Nuance to persecute anyone for not working their schedule when there is no work, well, I don't even think they would be so silly.
I thought the question was more along the lines of not working the secondary - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
So, if you choose to not work your secondary when OOW and only focus on the primary. The reason why I think someone could lose their job is because I think the company is overstaffed and if they are paying people benefits, there are different ways they could single people out to lighten the load and if a person is only willing to work their primary, that may be one way. I do not think it is necessarily right and I definitely do not think it is a good way, but what I see is that at some point, they are going to reduce their workforce.

We are set up so work flows in from various accounts. sm - smmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
Like, I personally have 7 different accounts. Work comes to me in a pool in which I receive one report at a time with the one closest to being out of TAT first. My "primary" consists of 3 different accounts. So, I only stop working when all 7 of my accounts are empty. Then, I follow the OOW procedures, including emailing my supervisor who usually does not respond to these anyway. Then, I flex usually, but tell my TSM when I will be flexing. Again, email usually not answered, but I keep a copy of those emails for myself. Not working on your secondary account in my opinon is "cherry picking".

I don't get that either because the work - just comes to me

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't 'hop on' to a second or third account, I don't (my platform I guess) does not allow me to move to whichever, it just flows to me as it set up to - 1, 2, 3, 4 then OOW if all of those are OOW.

When I was on byndtxt, that is the way it was--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
But in escription, it is different, you are logged into one account at a time. Byndtxt you were logged into the platform and things flowed.

I have that too, but I do wait until - there is plenty on my primary

[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot manipulate anything in my queue, but I can SEE what is on there.

My great sin I guess is waiting until there is plenty of my primary and logging on then. It doesn't mean I don't get secondaries or stats, I do, and I only do this if I have been entirely OOW initially on my shift.

When I log on in the morning I would type anything they got till the cows come home, but unfortunately they got nothing all too often lately, so what I am saying is if my tertiary account which is awful has 10 things on there later on and still no primary, that is NOT when I would choose to flex. My TSM has no problems with this, when we get OOW we flex when we want to. I should also say this rarely happens, as my primary is the one that fills up a lot more than the others.

I don't consider this cherry picking, as I said if there were work during my shift I would do it nonstop, it's only when I have the OOW on my shift, and I am hardly picking and choosing, just hanging on until I know there is enough of my primary.

I even get sick of my primary - I used to make line counts as below, but even my primary seems to have mainly bad (although familiar) dictators now and it is really hard to get above 200-250 lph, no matter how hard I try, because there are a lot of line count killers that dictate really a lot more than line count makers.

It is not productive to criticize the way other MTs get through their work when we have been so royally victimized by Nuance, so while I have an issue with some being able to have only a primary (wish that were me), you have an issue with me not waiting at my desk and typing anything that crops up and call that cherry picking.

I doubt very much whether anyone is really able to make much of an improvement with any of these methods anyway, and again, all would be moot points if there were enough work for those Nuance has hired at the times they hired them. The real question is, why is the lack of work happening so often now?

Similar Messages:

Just Want To Thank You Guys For Being Here
Apr 18, 2012

lets face it the situation rots,,,so we can make the best of a bad situation or curl up and die (cant afford the latter so)...But again thanks for the helpful hints and letting me vent now and again..Im in a better boat then most pulling a disability check from my former job...I just really wish I could do more for you all that depend on this money as your main form of income..There is no way I could do it....so any ideas you all want to try, count me in, if I get fired, I can survive, not very ...

I'm Sure You Guys Have
Mar 24, 2015

dated February 2015 http://crankalicious.hubpages.com/hub/The-Worst-Companies-to-Work-For-M-Modal some of it goes a bit far, in that we do get paid time off, but otherwise, its pretty spot on. i would so love to post this on MM's facebook page or on Twitter for their business partners to read, but i don't know how to do it anonymously.   ...

Oh God You Guys
May 18, 2015

I'm the one who posted below about the system not seeing all the work I typed today.  I uploaded a job just now and I caught it at the end saying returning job.  WHAT THE BEEP!! Has it returned all of the jobs I did today even though it says in editor I have done them?!!? I'm dying here.  I'm not pulling any more jobs now.  what is going on?!?!?  Check your lines in manager and see if it matches up with editor.  ...

Missed You Guys!!!
May 24, 2010

Been banned for a while.  We won't go into that. . . .  Glad to be back.  ...

How Often You Guys Have To Buy New Keyboard
Jun 10, 2011

I was just curious as to how often you guys have to buy new keyboards.  Seems like mine are biting the dust more often these days.  TIA.  ...

You Guys Have Inspired Me.
Mar 07, 2012

Well, it's time to go, guys. I'm saying goodbye. After 11 years in this field, I've enrolled in paralegal training. Like a lot of you, I figured transcription would get me through my working years with a home-based job and a decent wage that I could live on. Not so anymore. I still have a good job with a hospital, where my bosses claim outsourcing will never happen. Yeah, sure it won't. I went ahead and enrolled in school while I still have a decent income and the heart to le ...

You Guys Will Never Believe This ASR Mistake
Sep 13, 2012

This ASR mistake was so perfect that it is unbelievable.  It's so unbelievable that I would never have put it on here unless it was for real.  Dictated:  "M-H-C-L, all in caps" ASR:  MT agency hell hole  ...

What Do You Guys Do When A VR Report Is
Oct 02, 2013

I mean wrong as in, there will be a long run of sentences in which VR doesn't get a single word right.  I don't know WHY, because this speaker happens to speak very clearly at a decent speed and with no background noise.   Do you guys just delete everything and retype?  Do you ask your TL to be compensated as straight transcription when that happens?  Or do you make every single correction as you go along (which happens to take about 395 years to do). Also, I' ...

Are You Guys In North Getting Work?
Feb 15, 2010

I haven't seen any NJA posts for ages.  I had no work Sunday night or tonight, and I have no-India accounts! ...

You Guys Are Unbelievable. For Months You
Mar 03, 2010

For months you have complained about NJA and other people logging on randomly and taking your work away.  So MQ comes up with a system whereby this will no longer be allowed to happen -- and you are now complaining about it too ?  The point here is to make sure that you will have work at your scheduled time without other people hopping on and doing it.   Isn't that what you have been wanting ?You have been really spoiled by MQ if you are used to logging on 15 minutes lat ...

Did You Guys Know Dell, Inc Was Into Transcription
Jul 23, 2010

At first, I thought it was just a company named Dell, but then was redirected to the Dell website. ...

What Do You Guys Do With A Verbatim Acct When Doc
Feb 26, 2011

clearly dictates a sentence that makes absolutely no sense.  Just sort of an open-ended sentence, not even a fragment?  I'm trying so hard to keep the blanks down, which my % is really okay, but I'm finding more and more that these docs are just not making any sense and the mistakes are getting ridiculous!!!  Maybe they are texting when they are dictating........Anyhow, do you just type what they say and send it off or do you mark it for QA? ...

OK I Trust You Guys So Much, I Just Ordered
Mar 14, 2011

OK, What Do You Guys Do When You Consistently Run Out Of Work? Sm
Oct 26, 2011

This is getting crazy now.  I'm clocking in and out so many times in a day that I spend more time doing that than actually working.  I show up for my shift and am available to work my entire shift but with no work and no pay.  I've been trying UI in between running out of work but can't get through.  I need the money; please don't get wrong about that, BUT I also have other things going on and alot of it, and I don't have the time most days to make th ...

What Do You Guys Usually Do When There Is No Work During Your Shift? Sm
Jun 20, 2012

I've been checking every 10 to 15 minutes for the past 2.5 hours with only 1 report during that time.  Of course I punched out.  I do not like spending my day this way and it is foolish to be doing this and not getting paid.  It's also difficult to work after my shift on some days as I have other commitments and also a family to take care of.  It's stressful enough not having work and earning money but I get so stressed with feeling like I have to sit here and ...

An Mmodal MT. You Guys Have Work??
Dec 30, 2012

WE HAVE HARDLY ANY WORK at Mmodal.  Quite a few of us have $70.00 paychecks for a 2 week period which does not pay for the electric or cable bills.  Mmodal says it is slow because of the holidays...  Oh really, well holidays do not run for 3 months in a row.  I have dictators stating the hospital beds are full and ER wait time for patients are over 6 hours because of too many patients being seen.  Yet, Mmodal says we are slow and have low volume because of the holidays. ...

How In The World Do You Guys Manage Here?
May 09, 2014

Specs for each account that seem completely random, pulled out of someone's  ****, and it's always some small problem constantly.   I spend more time checking specs than I do typing.  I'll never get off QA at this rate.  I would probably like the account if I could get past all this picky this, that and the other.  Date of service or appointment is wrong,  then you don't get a template pulled in and have to type it all by hand???   ...

How Many Of You Gals And Guys OOW Today??
Sep 03, 2014

It's a broken record "things are slow, it will pick up"....... ...

What Light Do You Guys Keep Talking About??
Dec 15, 2014

No clue.  ...

Has Anyone Noticed
May 10, 2010

that, on companies sites, they do not always put the LOCATION of the company and you have to search for it? I think that is odd. You would think that would be the first thing that they do. I find it strange. ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed...
Dec 07, 2010

...all the jobs listed on the Job Seeker's Board?  and then noticed ...all the MT resumes listed on the Job Wanted Board ???   What's up with this?  Why don't the MTSOs advertising for help just go directly to the Job Wanted Board since there are probably hundreds/thousands of us looking for work!  Why go to the trouble of advertising when those of us on the Job Wanted Board already have our skills and experience outlined for them and we state ...

I Never Noticed It Before But
Jan 18, 2011

I was just looking back through all my pay stubs from 2010 and MQ took out less than $5.00 in federal taxes. The same dollar amount is listed in the "year-to-date" column on EVERY SINGLE STUB.  There is never an amount in the current week column and the number never changes in the year to date column. WHAT?!?!? Is this an error or did they really not take out my taxes like they were supposed to?  They took out everything else: State, social security, etc.  Am I going to get a h ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed
Aug 22, 2013

On the sign-in page to Fiesa, in the green strip at the bottom is copyright Nuance Transcription Services India Pvt. Ltd. All rights reserved.  hmmmmmm ...

Have You Noticed
Mar 06, 2014

has anyone else noticed that since the announcement of Imdex "merger" with TT that on the job seeker's board, there are now new notices of companies hiring such as Babbletype and Keystrokes that have not had hiring notices on that board? Just think that's a little unusual. ...

Hae You Noticed?
Sep 10, 2014

That QA/Fiesa only seems to find little errors?  I often wonder if the only errors that I make are a left/right discrepancy, date/age discrepancy, a, the, etc.  I have no idea who does my QA, but I'm wondering why they never find a big mistake, like a sound-alike drug or sound-alike instrument or disease.  I'm wondering if others have big mistakes found or are those who do our QA only able to find those kinds of errors - the kind we would find too if we went back and rel ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed This?
Oct 14, 2014

That VR seems to be getting worse in that it is constantly putting in a wrong number which is different from what is CLEARLY dictated.  This seems to happen more and more with dates and especially years.  Seems like they are trying to trip us up! ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed That Most Of The MT
Oct 24, 2014

job postings now are for IC's? Way to get around Obamacare. Best look up how the IRS defines IC now because a lot of these places are thinking they can tell you when you have to work and still claim you as IC with no benefits and low wages. What a deal! I feel like applying to a few just to set them straight. This career really sucks anymore. ...

About The 500+ LPH, Here Is What I Noticed In My POD-sm
Jan 21, 2015

Of the 80 people listed, only 10 had a 300+ line count.  Of those 10, 4 had a high (highlighted in red) QA submission score.  The highest line count was 415 with a 24% QA submission score. The average seemed to be between the minimum of 150 and about 250ish.   Remember when ASR started and we were told eventually we could do TWICE as much as straight typing and thus the reason for the cpl pay cut!  So we all should be at 300+ by now dont you think??!! ...

Have You Noticed...
Jun 04, 2015

the new MModal ad for PT transcriptionist?  The text of the job description is so long it won't entirely fit an iPad screen.   Really? dhere to these innumerable job responsibilities, and you too can make minimum wage.  Boy, I am chomping at the bit for that job. Sorry, folks.  I have crossed over from sarcasm to cynicism with this company.  The plan is to be gone within a month. ...

Don't You Guys Remember A Few Years Ago When We Got A Letter
Nov 13, 2009

from the then CEO thanking us for our hard work?  He said there would be no MQ without the MTs, blah, blah, blah (it happened around MT week).  A few weeks later we got our first pay cut. Now that's appreciation! IMO, something's up!  Hold onto your shorts!  ...