A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What do you guys do with a verbatim acct when doc - shortcake

Posted: Feb 26, 2011

clearly dictates a sentence that makes absolutely no sense.  Just sort of an open-ended sentence, not even a fragment?  I'm trying so hard to keep the blanks down, which my % is really okay, but I'm finding more and more that these docs are just not making any sense and the mistakes are getting ridiculous!!!  Maybe they are texting when they are dictating........Anyhow, do you just type what they say and send it off or do you mark it for QA?

personally I would flag it. - no message

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Non-Thoughts - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I just type it and do the best I can with punctuation and let them figure it out. If it's a doctor who actually reads his own work before signing it, maybe it will be a lesson.

If it makes no sense, flag it. That's our job. - 2+ blanks close together, wipe out and send as 1.

[ In Reply To ..]
That's what I do when a mess is no reflection of my abilities. As in "Extremities: BLANK perfusion BLANK BLANK BLANK pedal pulses" becomes "Extremities: BLANK pedal pulses."

Exactly, it is our job, but unfortunately we are - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
expected to keep QA submission low and some of you are even being docked in pay for it, so it makes our jobs almost impossible to do well. Anyhow, I did flag it because it did not make sense and I understood it 100%, so I was not misinterpreting anything. Thanks so much for your responses.

First of all, what does your MTSO/client want - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
you to do in these situations. Go ahead and type it and flag it, but then ask your supervisor how to handle these.

when docs make no sense ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When it seems like docs are making no sense, more often than not it is an error on the part of the MT.

Sorry, but way too often I see MTs convinced that the doctor is making no sense because the MT does not understand the context, has mangled the syntax, and has thrown the sentence into disarray.

Very True, But... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
..I have some dicators who are just chronic with this. They do so many parenthetical phrases, they forget what they even want to say, and it's just a mess. Those doctors I no longer flag. And they are very clear-speaking, not ESL, mumblers, or anything. They just can't get finish a solitary thought, and next thing you know, there's a 4-line non-sentence and they say "period," then go on with the report.

absolutely... - when docs make no sense

[ In Reply To ..]
My remarks above notwithstanding, I agree with you about this. There certainly are habitual, chronic nonsense talkers!

Exactly, and I'm uncomfortable sending the report that way. nm - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
maybe you should post the questions - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
??? Post where? - shortcake
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe She Means Pose The Question... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe she means pose the question to the supervisors.
here - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I meant perhaps you could give an example of what the dictator is saying, i.e. post your question.

verbatim accounts - Oldster MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It may drive me nuts, but if the account is strictly verbatim, just type it exactly as dictated. The author of the dictation owns the report, not the MT. If there are obvious left/right switches in the report or totally wrong dates or something a moron can see is wrong, I use [sic] so that it becomes clear that I noticed an error. It is his/her problem to clean it up. Period.

Ver Batim - Lee

[ In Reply To ..]
On vberbtim. I don't know where these MTSOs are coming from. If the client wants it verbatim, they should get exactly what they dictate without our being peanlized for doing so. On the other hand, when we are supposed to be editors, how on earth can we send some of that slop back? "Dah uh she, uh he waf fweewing pwetty okay, ah..." Aren't we all tempted at times just to really do these reports verbatim? I care too much about the patients though to send in a report with 150 mg of Synthroid or bilateral feet are cool on an amputee, or a hysterectomy for a male. Lordee, it really is ridiculous isn't it? When a sentence makes no sence, why not blank the whole thing. If the MTSO is going to dock you for it, they have promised the client they can walk on water just to get the account and expect everybody to jump through hoops.

Similar Messages:

What Would You Do? Verbatim Acct. Doc Says, Sm
May 23, 2012

lisinopril/HCTZ 20/125.  I'm sure she meant 12.5 but she clearly says 125.  I don't want to leave a blank as I get penalized.  I'm thinking to just do as I know and put 12.5.... ...

Help! Verbatim Acct And In PMH The Doc Says, Sm
Mar 26, 2013

significant for hypOtension and a few diagnoses down from that hypeRtension.  I would leave it a blank if it did not cost me money but not sure she meant the hypOtension.  She repeats herself alot but she clearly says hypOtension.  It's a guessing game! ...

Help! Verbatim Acct, Doc Says Pip Tazobactam
Oct 30, 2009

would you just put pip-tazobactam?? I'm also thinking she made a mistake saying pip which I know is piperacillin.  Thanks so much! ...

How Would You Type For Verbatim Acct, 87- Almost-88-year-old Male?
Sep 16, 2011

.. ...

Help! On Audit My Daily Was Corrected To Q.day. Acct Is Verbatim Sm
Jun 28, 2013

and doc is saying drug to be given q.Tuesday .  I want to put each or every Tuesday.  Would it be q.Tuesday??? I am second guessing everything I do anymore!!  TAI  ...

So, Do I Go With Verbatim (verbatim Account) Or Leave A Blank If
Nov 19, 2010

the doctor is dead wrong about his anatomy? The patient has a problem with his foot and leg, but he dictates ulna. I wouldn't give it a second thought to leaving it blank, but I already got notice about documents with blanks (usually 1-2 blanks if any, and anymore than 3, to QA). Hmm... go with what is right or what is the least path of resistance (i.e. least likely punishment) BTW - The document I sent yesterday with 4 blanks to QA, they couldn't fill them in either. Shesh, the ...

Question About Verbatim... How Far Are We Supposed To Go With Verbatim?
Nov 19, 2014

The reason I ask is because this morning I'm doing an acute care progress note where the dictator says "The patient has end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and she is still sounding pretty crappy and congested."  I absolutely refuse to use the word "crappy" in a medical document if it is not within the context of a direct quote from the patient, i.e. "I feel pretty crappy..."  So I decided to omit crappy and just say "she is still sounding pretty congested."  QA w ...

Verbatim??
Jul 26, 2012

This is EXACTLY how it was dictated: I cleansed the skin with alcohol from her prior visit (LONG PAUSE) I do remember patient having a very low pain tolerance. That's pretty unsanitary to use alcohol from the prior visit, don't ya think? LOL ...

What Does Verbatim Mean In VR Reports?
Oct 01, 2010

This is almost/sort of a poll. I need to know what verbatim means to you in VR. Do you change any wording? My understanding of verbatim is word-for-word (Merriam-Webster dictionary) unless a sentence does not have proper structure; if the doctor rambles on and puts the word 'and' between words where there should be a period, etc.  (Not included in this is changing mg to mcg in a wrong dosage, changing the medication itself if wrong, or other major medical erros&nbs ...

Which Verbatim Is It? Your's, Mine Or Their's?
Oct 30, 2010

Just worked on an ESL report (with unfortunately for me very, very, very little English).  This is a VERBATIM account.  Sent it to QA and it was "transformed" into English with little regard for that pesky word VERBATIM.  Does verbatim mean different things to different people? ...

Testing... Verbatim?
Jan 15, 2011

If not specified, is it better when taking an employment test to type verbatim or to follow transcription rules? Not asking for a specific test or company, I have just noticed that often times no instructions are given, and I don't know whether they are looking for following transcription/AHDI rules or just running the test next to a template in the system. ...

Verbatim Transcription
Jul 16, 2012

Hi everyone I may be getting a job which is a verbatim account.  I have not done that much verbatim work and I was wondering, are there any tips I need to know about doing such an account ?  I realize that verbatim means exactly the same words but if any of you have any tips typing verbatim I would really appreciate it.  Thank you in advance and I hope everyone has a great week.  ...

Verbatim And Heading
Sep 13, 2013

AHDI has stated "that obvious headings that are not dictated may be inserted but this is not required."  Does anyone know if this applicable in verbatim accounts?  Has AHDI issued any new or different rules in regards to verbatim account? ...

Verbatim And Account Specifics
Oct 27, 2009

Is it me or what - I was always told to follow account spec and make sure I didn't use the forbidden JCAHO abbreviations. Lately if I look at an old report to get a slurred/muffled word that I can't make heads or tails out of, I've noticed that others on my same account don't follow the specs at all! They do everything verbatim. It totally upsets me.  I noticed it a while back and put it down to a new employee not yet knowing all the specs, but it wasn't as ba ...

Anyone Get Hired For The Verbatim Insurance Job
Jul 28, 2010

How are you liking it so far? ...

Verbatim Accounts And Headings
Dec 09, 2010

I have all verbatim-verbatim accounts and only just now learned that we have to change what the dictator says and change it to an "approved heading."  I was once told this only pertained to non-verbatim accounts, but was just corrected.  I was told that ALL OF THE CHECKED headings in the headings pane must be included in the document.  If the doctor says procedure, you must put in an approved heading into the standard changing what he says if in the approved headings list it says ...

Companies And Verbatim -- Venting
Jul 29, 2012

I started with a company recently, (within the last 2 weeks),  that was all straight typing (yea!), but verbatim and I do mean verbatim.  Most of the reports had the headers built in, and I did them in the order dictated.  However, there were certain things in the operative reports, where they wanted things put in a certain place.  I got that part, after receiving emails from the QA team and put the headers, where I believed they wanted them to be.  The headers that were ...

Transcribing Verbatim Issues
Nov 10, 2012

Even on a verbatim account, would anyone ever transcribe '85 instead of 1985 standing alone within a sentence?  I personally think this is just crazy, especially when the account specifics show dates as mm/dd/yyyy.  But, hey, I'm just an MT.  But in all these years, I have never transcribed a year this way.  Comments?  Thanks.  ...

Grammar Checker? But We Have To Do Verbatim.
Apr 17, 2013

Plus more corrections to ASR. Oh goody. ...

It Would Be Interesting To Type Exactly Verbatim
Mar 31, 2015

I get so tired of these people slurring everything together, speaking so fast because it's what they always say.  Then we're told by QA, they the same thing over again so you should know what it is.  If I could understand it, I wouldnt leave a blank!!!   We're told not to guess.   Especially lab values or other numbers or values.  No wonder we leave blanks, when we can't tell if it's  180 or 190 because you're speed slurr ...

Put On New Acct
Dec 14, 2011

Has anyone else had to change supervisors and accounts because of low work.  I just wanted to know if I was the only one. ...

New Acct
Nov 04, 2012

Is anyone supposed to start on the new acct that goes live tomorrow?  First name of acct begins with an S.   Thanks! ...

Being Put On A New Acct.
Dec 14, 2012

Anyone out there in Nuance world just absolutely refuse to work on a new acct? ...

Well, Guess Verbatim Is Out The Window, Qualified Or Not.
Mar 30, 2014

If whatever the doctor said is a little wonky, doesn't make sense or is a bad sentence, you can and will get dinged for typing what the doctor says. Told to leave a blank so you won't get dinged. ...

Transcribed As Dictated On Verbatim Account
Jan 27, 2015

The dictator clearly dictated a word with an apostrophy following it.  The word actually has an accent mark following the last letter, but he specifically dictated an apostrophy.  I got it marked as an error. I don't get it -- it was a verbatim account -- I did what he said - and now it's error.  Frustrated!!!! ...

Just Want To Thank You Guys For Being Here
Apr 18, 2012

lets face it the situation rots,,,so we can make the best of a bad situation or curl up and die (cant afford the latter so)...But again thanks for the helpful hints and letting me vent now and again..Im in a better boat then most pulling a disability check from my former job...I just really wish I could do more for you all that depend on this money as your main form of income..There is no way I could do it....so any ideas you all want to try, count me in, if I get fired, I can survive, not very ...

I'm Sure You Guys Have
Mar 24, 2015

dated February 2015 http://crankalicious.hubpages.com/hub/The-Worst-Companies-to-Work-For-M-Modal some of it goes a bit far, in that we do get paid time off, but otherwise, its pretty spot on. i would so love to post this on MM's facebook page or on Twitter for their business partners to read, but i don't know how to do it anonymously.   ...

Oh God You Guys
May 18, 2015

I'm the one who posted below about the system not seeing all the work I typed today.  I uploaded a job just now and I caught it at the end saying returning job.  WHAT THE BEEP!! Has it returned all of the jobs I did today even though it says in editor I have done them?!!? I'm dying here.  I'm not pulling any more jobs now.  what is going on?!?!?  Check your lines in manager and see if it matches up with editor.  ...

NJA SA2 Trying To Get Back-up Acct...am I The Only One?nm
Nov 17, 2009

nm ...

New Acct - Training? Why?
Aug 24, 2010

I am starting a new acct tomorrow.  I sure hope I dont have to go through training.  We never have been trained on the cesspool that we get, we just get new accts when our regular work is caught up, so why do we need training on a new account?  That is ridiculous.  MQ, please just let me work and make a living.  Stop with all this changing CCMs and assigning new accts.  This coming pay check I probably will have 2 days on it if that much.  Geez.. ...