A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Dangerous dictators! - southernbelle

Posted: Apr 28, 2014

I had an idea and would like some feedback on it.  I was wondering why we don't just call up, anonymously of course, the hospitals repeatedly and complain about some of these dangerous dictators.  This really is a patient safety issue first and foremost, although it would be awesome to do something about them for our sake.  Anyone who works on account BC with the dictator Dr. RK knows this is a patient safety issue.  He is dangerous!  Thanks in advance for your opinions. 

Dangerous dictators - Dazed and Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
Where I used to work in a hospital system they had someone just to do that. They would call the doctor and talk with them regarding their dictation. But of course, the doc had to be very bad all the time for her to do that. These doctors chew gum, put the phone out and in all the time, talk loud for 5 min then seem to whisper. Then I notice Escription seems to be messing up a lot, leaving out sentences all the time and adding "and" to almost everything when it wasn't even dictated. It is a lot better than it used to be, but it seems to be regressing. It leaves out sentences and words that were clearly dictated. I guess that is job security lol

Easy answer is because it is not your job - It is tempting, but no

[ In Reply To ..]
I know it's tempting, but it's not your job and will certainly get you fired because there's no way to do this completely anonymously.

Your job is to complete a medical record to the best of your ability. If the information that you are given to complete that record is incomplete, then you do the best with what you have.

If the doctor is dangerous and is dictating errors that you know are errors, then you put a blank for either the facility or QA, which ever method that particular account uses. When you leave notes, leave them as professionally worded as possible.

Most hospitals, quite frankly, don't care about documentation unless it gets them sued. It's a necessary evil and they want it done as cheaply as possible. Depending on the internal system the hospital uses, the dictated record might not even be the "go to" for information about the patient.

The powers that be both at the MTSO and at the hospital know this guy can't dictate a coherent note. They don't care.

To Easy answer is because it is not your job - Foolfighter

[ In Reply To ..]
If you "happen" to be in management, it is your responsibility as a manager to see to it that the MLS is NOT punished on that account for having to send so many reports to QA or to the customer for blanks. That particular "dangerous" dictator should be completely removed from any post QA monitoring and the MLS should NOT be discredited on their weekly post audit score or their alloted send to QA percent for a dictator that simply cannot speak clearly and has no desire to do so. There should be no way around this outside of removing the dictator from anything that impacts the MLS making incentive or their bonus. If you are in managment do your job and do the right thing here.

Dangerous dictators - crackpot

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course there are ways to do it completely anonymously. Pay phones, burn phones. There just needs to be more than one of us doing it. You sound like management. Most of the time this particular doc, if he is the one I think he is, doesn't even sound like he is using words so it is hard to tell if they are errors, words, or just sounds he is making. I don't care if they care or not. Would you want him taking care of your mom or sister or dad or grandma and jabbering like that!

Not management - Just sensible

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, so say you and Susy Q call the hospital and say oh, by the way Dr. MushMouth can't dictate a note to save his life and his reports are coming out so much swiss cheese because of the garbage way he dictates and we're afraid that his reports are going to harm patient care.

Hospital management then goes to the MTSO and says, "hey, we got this call and the only people who would have this kind of information are the people who work on your account." MTSO then looks back at the last people who had reports from Dr. Mushmouth. Guess what? You're no longer anonymous.

To the poster above this one, I completely agree that th MTSO should not penalize the MT for sending in blanks, etc., with garbage dictators. That's a whole other issue, though. The MTSO knows this guy is a garbage dictator. They may have even brought ito the facility's attention. No one has done anything about it, ergo, no one cares.

I reiterate my original point. You do the best with the information that you are given. If the information that you are given is swiss cheese, then you give them swiss cheese.

Easy answer - Dazed and Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
I know for a fact no one looks at what we type. When I worked at hospitals they would receive the reports and file them away in the chart. Now, the doc looking through the chart might rad the reports, but they don't count on them for major decisions. If the chart wasn't around because the pt was discharge, we would just put them in the medical record tray for medical records to pick up and file in the chart. No one ever read them. Now, code status I think is very important, because I have seen many times at this hospital I worked for people being coded when they were DNR because the nurse frantically looking through chart for code status, which I think should be listed everywhere on the chart. Not that I think that med transcriptionists are worthless. They are very valuable to the medical field and are providing a necessary service, but it isn't counted on as much as they make you think it is. But still a great service and it is the first job I ever had where I learn something new every day either med terms, grammar, how they do surgeries, etc.

I think it varies by hospital - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it varies by hospital as to whether they read the charts or not. I worked for our local hospital for 10 years before working at home, and the docs there faithfully grabbed information from our reports. They relied on them when making rounds and were quick to let us know if we needed to add/subtract/change anything at all. We had a different set-up and relationship there with the doctors; we could call them if problems with their reports and let them know with issues we had with their dictations, and not only did they appreciate it, but they worked on issues we had with them to make it easier for us.

Similar Messages:

Lousy Dictators - Crappy, Hard To Understand Dictators, Both ESL And English-speaking
May 17, 2014

Today I will make less than half of what I normally get because all I've gotten today are crappy, hard to understand dictators, both ESL and English-speaking.  Seems like all I get lately are the hard to understand, mush-mouth dictators.  Guess Nuance doesn't want their MTs making quota.  Sorry.  I just had to vent. ...

ASR Getting Dangerous
Jun 22, 2010

It seems to me that ASR is making more mistakes instead of "learning" like it is rumored to supposedly do. Today, my dictators are speaking clearly (for a change) and in one report, in the discharge meds he says "none" and ASR puts "Dilantin"???  That doesn't even SOUND the same!  In another it clearly says follow up in 2 weeks and ASR puts "no follow up" in 2 weeks!   I've noticed a lot more things like this in the past week.  What's up?  Think we& ...

Dangerous Doc
Jan 21, 2012

Sex with severe impaction fracture. This is what VR typed out as the doctor stated his name at the end of report. ...

Dangerous Abbreviations
Jul 27, 2010

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a list of the "dangerous abbreviations" in transcription.  I was at a doctor's office one day and saw a sign on their wall that said something about dangerous abbreviations and something about things that transcriptionists should not type...but I left thinking that it would be something easy to find but have found no information on that at all.  Thanks so much for your help! ...

Dangerous Abbreviations.......
Aug 27, 2010

I don't use dangerous abbreviations and I never abbreviate in the diagnosis and QA has been changing my reports to abbreviations in the diagnosis and changing words and adding the dangerous abbreviations. Does any else do this, not abbreviate etc? ...

It's Dangerous To Sit All Day-- No Kidding
Aug 31, 2011

Very interesting article-- I just wish the MTSOs would read it.  They expect the MTs to sit for 8 solid hours pounding away like robots and even track "inactivity time" on your computer if you stop for a minute or two.  I am finally free from the MT rat race and found another job where I can actually move around and interact with real people instead of staring at a computer screen for 8 solid hours.  I only hope the scar on my leg from the shackle I have had to wear for years will ...

BOS And Dangerous Abbreviations
Jan 30, 2012

Do the BOS and dangerous abbreviation rules apply to office dictation that is outside the hospital setting (i.e.  private practice offices).  Thanks. ...

I Have Decided VR Is Just Dangerous!
Jul 31, 2013

Really, with this time of VR, who can actually be accountable for the errors in reports?  My VR is HORRID.  It will completely change the name of medications that the dictator dictates and on and on.  So, when a medical error is made, based on a report where the MT didn't catch a mistake on VR, how can they hold the MT solely responsible?  I mean, we didn't TYPE that error, we just missed a word while proofreading.  I wonder why they would allow something with ...

Is There A 'dangerous Abbreviations' List?
Feb 06, 2013

Doctors: Making The Roads A Little Bit More Dangerous.
Jun 20, 2010

Just had a dictator on a cell phone mid dictation say:  &!$%, went through a red light. and then continues dictating.  Just lovely.  ...

IT Has Basically Admitted A Key (and Dangerous) Fact
Mar 25, 2013

I informed them of an error regarding a medication output by ASR,something sometimes said, but was not dictated. I was told this was programmed into the software, and they could not (i.e. would not) correct that. I have accused the software (programmers) of putting in often-said output rather than what was actually dictated which they have previously denied. Guess someone slipped up by admitting that was done with this medication. ...

List Of "Do Not Use" Dangerous Abbreviations
Jul 12, 2011

I've searched the JCAHO website.  I used to have a copy but can't find it.  Would someone please be kind enough to point me to the link for the JCAHO list of dangerous abbreviations? ...

ARRRGGGGGHH! I Love Resident Dictators. I Love Resident Dictators. I Love Resident Dictators.
Jun 19, 2010

A new ESL dictating a DS. Can't speed him up because he's too "new" (to this country?). He is spelling every other word!!!!!! AND then spells it again - extubated, e-x-t-u-b-a-t-e-d, extubated e for elephant, x for crosses, t for tom, u for umbrella, b for .......... get the picture (sigh)? On top of that, the report is 28 minutes long!!! Should never have gotten out of bed this morning. LOL I do feel bad for him that he doesn't realize he doesn't have to spell every other ...

ESL Dictators
Feb 08, 2010

Hey folks, I recently got put on an ESL, primarily Spanish, account at KeyStrokes.  I'm having a very hard time with these dictations.  Can anybody give me some tips for better skills understanding this accent?   I've been doing ESL dictators of Indian and Asian accents without really any problems at all.  However, these Hispanic ones are really giving me problems.  Thanks.    ...

How Many Of You Have Dictators That
Feb 10, 2010

just with the sound of their voice, can turn your day to yuck? There are 2 docs on one of my accounts who literally make me cringe when I hear their voices.  Like nails on a chalkboard or something.  I cannot stand listening to them!  Unfortunately, they always have very looooong reports.  I keep expecting my ears to start bleeding one of these days! ...

Do Dictators Know What ASR IS???
Mar 17, 2010

Can you imagine getting an ASR report where the dictator says "please put number one please please please put number one, please put number five, please please please put number five.."  all the while I am having to edit out all these infernal "pleases" and wonder just what kind of idiot this is.  Sheesh! ...

Bad Dictators
Jun 06, 2012

Anyone ever suspect that accounts we do have in-house transcriptionists and they outsource their worst dictators to services? ...

Resident Dictators
Oct 14, 2009

I have a female resident dictating radiology who tries to break the speed barrier, she sniffs before every sentence, and constantly makes these noises in her throat.  She DRIVES ME CRAZY.  My rant for the day. ...

Idiot Dictators.
Nov 04, 2009

I truly, truly wish these idiots who call themselves physicians had to listen to and transcribe their own dictations.  I am so frustrated right now I could just about pull my hair out.  Being a greeter at Wal-Mart is looking very enticing right now.  ...

Pay For 1 MME Shift With 90% ESL Dictators
Dec 20, 2009

About 1/3 of those 100% QA reports were done by ILPs.  Total average earnings per hour:  a little over 4 $, but  I will be paid at my state's minimum wage.  Before my in-house hospital job was outsourced to an MTSO that kept the work in the country for 2 years and then sent it to India, I was being paid 19 $ an hour and also had great benefits and PTO.   When did this "profession" turn into a minimum wage job ?  (actually, half of minimum wage if ...

DSG Seems To Have The WORST Dictators
Mar 26, 2010

I have been an MT for over 20 years and have worked at a few different companies.  I am currently with DSG, and I just have to say, DSG seems to have the WORST dictators of any company that I have worked for.  I work on 5 different accounts for them and it is all the same.  Any other DSG'ers out there that are experiencing the same thing?  I don't recall being told when I was hired that I would be typing 98% ESL.  Beware if you are thinking of working here!    ...

Bad Dictators Very Frustrating
Apr 28, 2010

I have 6 years of experience and just started a new job doing straight transcription.  I'm convinced that I'm getting all of dictators that they can't run through their VR because they are so bad.  I'm lucky to make $5.00/hr.  Very frustrating.  Need to give my notice.  Anybody else have this experience?  Sorry, I just needed to vent. ...

Dictators CHEWING
Sep 05, 2010

Wish there was a board doctors could read for complaints.  How I hate when they chew in my ear!  The absolute worst is this one now who is clearing his throat like a HORSE after every sentence and snuffling all his "thick yellow-to-green secretions" while he dictates!  Rude or what?  He should have specialized in pathology!    ...

Dictators Who Think We're Dum-dums
Dec 28, 2010

One of these days where I'm working but don't really feel much like it.  Restless, surfing the net, laughing at the dictators.  Had one who rattled off bizarre medical terms while eating, so I had to leave numerous blanks, and then the next one spent a good deal of time trying to explain to the dumb MT how to type "b.i.d."  (that's BEE, EYE, DEE - oh, all in little letters - I mean, a little BEE, then a period, a little EYE, then a period, a little DEE, then a perio ...

Keystrokes Dictators Sm
Jan 18, 2011

Would someone from Keystrokes email me as to how bad the ESL docs are?  I have been offered a job but told it is mostly ESLs and I don't mind them but if they are really bad dictators, I think I will pass.  Thanks! ...

Instructions To Dictators O P E N Y O U R M O U T H A N D
Mar 09, 2011

t a l k.  it    would    make   my   life  much   easier   if   you    would  talk  normally and  not  like   you  are  either  a racehorserunninginthekentuckyderby or   the  tortoise  racing  the  hare  and    that     we   d   o   n  o  t ...

Procrastinating Dictators And TAT
May 21, 2011

It really annoys me when some providers wait weeks, or months, to do their dictation, and then all of a sudden they're stats, even though the patient won't be back for weeks or months, or prn. Or the ones who make every progress note a stat, and bump the really important jobs down the line. It just grinds my gears. ...

Dictators Not Weighed
Sep 03, 2011

I work for a hospital that is going to production based pay using editscript and not weighing the doctors. There are some transcriptions who cannot type all work types and can only do easy dictations so they make more than the ones who have the skills and knowledge who do the harder dictations. Any I idea of how I can address this with my supervisor? ...

Dictators Who Eat During Dictation
Dec 14, 2011

This really bugs me, and I usually don't mention anything about it, but I am doing a report by a PA, and she is just crunching away while dictating, and can hardly talk while she is eating.  She is eating like her life depends upon it, and this is totally rude and obnoxious.  I have heard it all though, and there is not 1 MT I have known that hasn't experienced this.  They eat, go to the bathroom, have children in the background that they don't try to keep quiet, do ...

Solution For Better Dictators
Mar 19, 2012

How about the company charge extra to the dictators for ESL, drunk sounding dictators, mumblers, eaters, slurpers, burpers, playing games with others while they're supposed to be dictating, what sounds like background Christmas parties, "oh, yeah, go back up to ....and add," speed talkers, dictators that sound like they have hair lips, speech impedements and last, but not least, dictators that cannot pronounce other doctor's names or meds or med terms, but won't spell for you.&nbs ...