A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IT has basically admitted a key (and dangerous) fact - about MM ASR

Posted: Mar 25, 2013

I informed them of an error regarding a medication output by ASR,something sometimes said, but was not dictated. I was told this was programmed into the software, and they could not (i.e. would not) correct that. I have accused the software (programmers) of putting in often-said output rather than what was actually dictated which they have previously denied. Guess someone slipped up by admitting that was done with this medication.

what difference does it make, we have to fix it anyway - if they fixed all errors, we wouldnt have a job

[ In Reply To ..]
The programmers could fix a whole lotta stuff but dont, and thank goodness! If they fixed the stuff, I would be out of a job.

IMO, This has implications for the quality of VR sold to clients. - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't want my doctor using VR for EHR software. My experience with hospital inhouse VR programs is the majority of doctors don't take any time to look at it and edit it.

why is it dangerous. I don't get it it. It is our job to listen - and correct

[ In Reply To ..]
It is no different than if we were typing it ourselves, we need to listen and make sure everything is correct. I doubt there is some big conspiracy going on.

Maybe everybody is not like you - and doesnt listen and would

[ In Reply To ..]
miss it; thus being dangerous. Maybe?

if they dont listen word for word and correct everything - they are not doing their job and

[ In Reply To ..]
shouldn't be working here. ASR messes up A LOT! Especially numbers!!!

That doesnt make sense. Its our job to listen. - Its our job not to miss stuff.

[ In Reply To ..]
I dont quite understand you.
Let me break it down for you - There are some MTs who
[ In Reply To ..]
don't happen to catch every single ASR error and therefore could let one slip through. Then it could potentially be dangerous. Understand?
Then fire the MT that didnt get it - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
How is that the vault of VR? It is the fault of the MT. The MT is responsible for fixing the VR. Just like when the MTs had to type, they were responsible, no one else.

Just plain absurd.
In the meantime, quality patient care goes out the window - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
It is not the programmer's fault or the MT's, it is management's fault for telling the programmers to do this. They should be prosecuted or at least fired for deliberately putting patients at risk this way.
lost an account to front end editing, done by doc - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
There have been more than a few hospitals who have totally fired all MTs, MTSOs, and have "front-end" editing, meaning the physician dictates, then the physician is expected to edit and sign the report. It is happening more and more. I have a friend working in the hospital who says that the reports coming through are horrible that the physician has signed off. This is truly dangerous! I personally will get copies of any of my medical records to ensure accuracy!

Which med? What dose? Can you be - more specific? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Mixes up 0's and 8's, etc. - Sarah

[ In Reply To ..]
It consistently mixes up zero's for eight's, etc. When it doesn't understand a medication it simply leaves it out. It puts miles and miles of garbage in when no sound at all is in the background. Yes, it is our job to listen carefully and correct each and every mistake, but I think there are plenty of people with poor attitudes that are not quite as careful as other people.

Similar Messages:

ASR- Patient Admitted To See Him A Tree
Aug 30, 2010

xx ...

Patient Admitted To S/l General Mack Floor.
Oct 23, 2009

I think it means medicine but it really really really doesn't sound like he is saying that. ...

It's Very Sad, But This Is Basically Just An Indian Company
Apr 04, 2013

When you look on FB and look up MModal, the only people who like are Indians, and the only pictures they have are of Indians.  So what does that tell you?  I definitely am leaving this field and am in a court reporting program, but I still have probably another year or maybe a little longer to complete and was just hoping to hold on to this job to make a little bit of money, but that's probably not going to be possible.  Very sad.  Thanks everyone for your tips about the ...

EKG Report - He Says, T Wave Flat In S/l L Only, Basically Unremarkable. Thanks!
Jul 12, 2011

.. ...

I Feel Like Basically When U Do VR U Work For 4 Cents Rather Than 8, Same Line #'s
Feb 17, 2015

just sayin' ...

THE SAD FACT IS
Dec 02, 2013

VR is far from perfect, we all know that. It is terrible with names, he and she, and numbers versus dates. How many times have I seen things like glucose 01/10/2013? Too many to count! The names are wrong about 90% of the time, i.e. Mr. Jones is a blah-blah-blah and it comes through Mr. Mcfart is a blah blah blah. At least MOST of the time it puts in "patient" instead. WHY,WHY,WHY does it put IMPRESSION so many times when the doctor says ASSESSMENT? Or vice versa. Today, I had two doctor ...

ASR Getting Dangerous
Jun 22, 2010

It seems to me that ASR is making more mistakes instead of "learning" like it is rumored to supposedly do. Today, my dictators are speaking clearly (for a change) and in one report, in the discharge meds he says "none" and ASR puts "Dilantin"???  That doesn't even SOUND the same!  In another it clearly says follow up in 2 weeks and ASR puts "no follow up" in 2 weeks!   I've noticed a lot more things like this in the past week.  What's up?  Think we& ...

Dangerous Doc
Jan 21, 2012

Sex with severe impaction fracture. This is what VR typed out as the doctor stated his name at the end of report. ...

Intersting Fact
Dec 31, 2013

At the local VAMC food service workers and housekeeping aides start out at $15.50 an hour - as a 30-year MT I make $8.50 an hour. ...

Does Anyone Else Hate The Fact
Feb 08, 2015

It bugs me that my post audits are done in India. Several things have come back that I KNOW I wouldn't have left in the report - yet they get marked off. So very frustrating to me- and even more frustrating that this will NOT change.... ugh, I want OUT of this place ...

Dangerous Abbreviations
Jul 27, 2010

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a list of the "dangerous abbreviations" in transcription.  I was at a doctor's office one day and saw a sign on their wall that said something about dangerous abbreviations and something about things that transcriptionists should not type...but I left thinking that it would be something easy to find but have found no information on that at all.  Thanks so much for your help! ...

Dangerous Abbreviations.......
Aug 27, 2010

I don't use dangerous abbreviations and I never abbreviate in the diagnosis and QA has been changing my reports to abbreviations in the diagnosis and changing words and adding the dangerous abbreviations. Does any else do this, not abbreviate etc? ...

It's Dangerous To Sit All Day-- No Kidding
Aug 31, 2011

Very interesting article-- I just wish the MTSOs would read it.  They expect the MTs to sit for 8 solid hours pounding away like robots and even track "inactivity time" on your computer if you stop for a minute or two.  I am finally free from the MT rat race and found another job where I can actually move around and interact with real people instead of staring at a computer screen for 8 solid hours.  I only hope the scar on my leg from the shackle I have had to wear for years will ...

BOS And Dangerous Abbreviations
Jan 30, 2012

Do the BOS and dangerous abbreviation rules apply to office dictation that is outside the hospital setting (i.e.  private practice offices).  Thanks. ...

I Have Decided VR Is Just Dangerous!
Jul 31, 2013

Really, with this time of VR, who can actually be accountable for the errors in reports?  My VR is HORRID.  It will completely change the name of medications that the dictator dictates and on and on.  So, when a medical error is made, based on a report where the MT didn't catch a mistake on VR, how can they hold the MT solely responsible?  I mean, we didn't TYPE that error, we just missed a word while proofreading.  I wonder why they would allow something with ...

Dangerous Dictators!
Apr 28, 2014

I had an idea and would like some feedback on it.  I was wondering why we don't just call up, anonymously of course, the hospitals repeatedly and complain about some of these dangerous dictators.  This really is a patient safety issue first and foremost, although it would be awesome to do something about them for our sake.  Anyone who works on account BC with the dictator Dr. RK knows this is a patient safety issue.  He is dangerous!  Thanks in advance for your opin ...

I Love The Fact That You Can Float Down Below
Oct 14, 2009

at the bottom of the boards.... this is wonderful ; thanks MTStars....  :) ...

FACT CHECKER = WMX MANAGEMENT
Sep 02, 2010

Too late.  Too bad you didn't treat people better when this happened.  It's too late now, your reputation is ruined.  Your company will soon be history.  Then come back and let us know how all that rah-rah cheerleading is workin' for ya! ...

I Honestly Do Not Know What Is Worse: The Fact That
Dec 23, 2011

my former employers lied about why I no longer work there and I will not get food stamps now because of that (two kids starving, too, not just me) or the fact that the other place has not even contacted them.  Flat out no one cares anymore.  Unless you have cheery pinch your cheek posts, no one cares.  No one cares you go very hungry:(  Sad world.  And my former employer admits she lied:( ...

There Is Irony In The Fact That We Have Been Told
Apr 03, 2014

of MModals coding program, because none of us know what is in it except for the coders taking the program.  Then, when we ask what is in it, Coder won't let them answer.  There is a whole slew of unnecessary responses to a question about CPT coding, and none but the very end came from an MModal coder.  All that I wanted to know was if they were taking it.  I did not need commentary from another coder(s) regarding what they thought was in it or what they believed should b ...

Is There A 'dangerous Abbreviations' List?
Feb 06, 2013

Fact Checker - Those Of Us Who Have Read These Boards
Sep 02, 2010

for a while know you must be "that guy" whose responsibility it is to come here and do damage control.  Whenever something big happens in a company or an MT gets a raw deal, there is always someone who attaches themselves to a thread to blame the MT - obviously their quality sucked or clearly they didn't show up for work or everyone else is getting laid off so why not you. Here's the thing - we see you a mile away. The fact that you randomly decided to show up on the boards  ...

MT Role - Always Evolving (FACT - Brief Response)
Apr 14, 2011

The role of the MT is always evolving.  No doubt we are all trying to figure out a way to stay afloat.  One of those ways could be for the MT to go beyond just transcription into assisting with the clinical documentation (including the complicated ICD-10).  Some doctors believe that medical transcription is one of the least efficient parts of their medical practice.   Certainly, many MT's have moved beyond transcription into speech recognition Medical Editors ...

Doctors: Making The Roads A Little Bit More Dangerous.
Jun 20, 2010

Just had a dictator on a cell phone mid dictation say:  &!$%, went through a red light. and then continues dictating.  Just lovely.  ...

Rapid Outsource Imaging Fact Or Fiction?
Oct 28, 2011

I was considering applying at ROI (Rapid Outsource Imaging), but I heard they charge their IC MTs $50 per report error.  Are there any ROI MTs out there who could comment on this?  ...

List Of "Do Not Use" Dangerous Abbreviations
Jul 12, 2011

I've searched the JCAHO website.  I used to have a copy but can't find it.  Would someone please be kind enough to point me to the link for the JCAHO list of dangerous abbreviations? ...