A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ASR getting dangerous - psycho sis

Posted: Jun 22, 2010

It seems to me that ASR is making more mistakes instead of "learning" like it is rumored to supposedly do.

Today, my dictators are speaking clearly (for a change) and in one report, in the discharge meds he says "none" and ASR puts "Dilantin"???  That doesn't even SOUND the same!  In another it clearly says follow up in 2 weeks and ASR puts "no follow up" in 2 weeks!  

I've noticed a lot more things like this in the past week.  What's up?  Think we're being "tested" by da Q? 

If it is a test by the Q, it is a dangerous one because - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
one might miss ASR mistakes if they are zooming through it.

Hello???... they want you to screw up. sm - zig

[ In Reply To ..]
That way they can either audit you, put you on 100% QA and pay you minimum wage or come up with a reason to fire you. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

re: zig - wow angry much?

[ In Reply To ..]
I bet you're fun at a party.
You would be too if... - zig
[ In Reply To ..]
you were constantly harassed, audited and accused of changing things in reports that you didn't like so many of us here have been. After 15 years as an MT, your work doestn't just suddenly go to pot like they're claiming. If so, whey didn't they get rid of us a long time ago? CHEERs to you too!!!
Anger - wrong direction
[ In Reply To ..]
No one is blaming you for being angry. We understand that, but you are aiming your aggression at someone who is not at fault. Tell the Q.
Not all auditors are the same - NE MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Some are marking critical errors for noncritical stuff like a missed comma or inserting a period and making a new sentence just for clarity on a verbatim account which basically means 1 error and that report is low enough to make you fail the whole audit. Over a dumb comma!!

I guess what I am trying to say is if you have a person doing your audits who is fair give thanks because those of us who deal with unfair grading feel like we have already failed before they even do the audit.
your constant criticism shows that you are an "observer," ONLY, - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
and also an ignorant one.

Right on - Sassy Pants

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been on VR for 3 months now and I have been having this happen to me! I was off 100% QA, working OT to the point of carpal tunnel, 2-3 weeks straight of OT, and then BAM, all the reports you did were wrong/returned by client and now I'm back on 100% QA. And supposedly alot of my "problem" is that I am either putting stuff into the report that does not belong there OR leaving stuff out that does belong. Um no on either account. I swear that I am not adding headings or deleting "verbatim" when I type or edit a report and even reread the whole entire thing and spellcheck AND it's every report type or every report for the same dictator? BULL-you-know-what. I'm am outta there as soon as another job lines up (NOT MT) or they fire me, either way, I'm done with this OCD everything must be 100% perfect 100% of the time when 1 editor tells you 1 thing and another editor tells you the opposite. NO THANKS! Not for double LPH pay, not even! Unless you count averaging $8/hr double what you make straight typing. HELL NO!

RE: ASR GETTING DANGEROUS - ctrl alt delete

[ In Reply To ..]
I had one that said 6 to 5 grains when it should have been 65 mg! Interesting. I'm going to be on high alert. Thx for pointing out that we may being scrutinized. I HAVE noticed a lot of things that are just wrong.

I have noticed the same thing. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It is putting words in that are not even similar. Just seems to randomly pick a word now and put it in the report. Words it has heard the dictator say before?

re: psycho sis - oracle

[ In Reply To ..]
OMG!! I am soooo glad you said this! I have been dealing with this very recently also. Crazy stuff ASR is putting in, makes to sense at all, doesn't even sound close to what the dictator says!

ASR says: "sterile dressing was applied and hold end then gauze for stock market. Patient proceeded to extubate"

What was said: sterile gauze dressing was applied and held in place with TED hose stocking. Patient tolerated the procedure well and was awakened from anesthesia, extubated and transported to the recovery room in stable condition.

ASR left out a good chunk and this is only ONE paragraph! The whole report was like this!!

On your toes people! Something is up.

maybe a pay cut - NE MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You know because we are overpaid and it has been awhile since the last cut. Knocking on wood, but it seems like every time MQ tries to "fix" ASR to justify a pay cut they screw it up worse. Keep an eye on the email- new fiscal year starts next week!

re: ASR - oh brother

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you're onto something. I've noticed that. Here's an example of what I'm getting from ASR: " He states the of prior better an from the skin or. And an the case and his mental calf pack per day recti 353 years. He states he does not drink. He states that he use of the twelfth calf beta drinks per day"

WOW... What's up Q??

ASR just faulty, doesn't work - Adios

[ In Reply To ..]
It just doesn't work. Too many of us for it to "learn." I have been harping on this for months. I have no inside scoop but I would guess they cannot keep anybody on to run it. Thus it just keeps spitting out trash. I get the same dictators, dictating the same statements and each time it spits out different trash.

Medications in particular are scary. Many times it spits out the wrong medication altogether as well as the dosage. And these are English-speaking dictators speaking clearly.

Again, I say it is the product, not some dark scheme to do us in. They need us to clean up this mess, and at rock-bottom wages. They have it made if you ask me.

Just my humble opinion. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

I agree 100% with your post - NOT a conspiracy

[ In Reply To ..]
The people in charge of the back end are asleep at the wheel. Lots of new hires in there doing their own thing willy-nilly unsupervised, messing up with their own misguided attempts what was already a nightmare to begin with. "Too many cooks spoil the broth," if you will.

It's not a conspiracy, it's just a hot mess being allowed to fester until it implodes.

Similar Messages:

Dangerous Doc
Jan 21, 2012

Sex with severe impaction fracture. This is what VR typed out as the doctor stated his name at the end of report. ...

Dangerous Abbreviations
Jul 27, 2010

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a list of the "dangerous abbreviations" in transcription.  I was at a doctor's office one day and saw a sign on their wall that said something about dangerous abbreviations and something about things that transcriptionists should not type...but I left thinking that it would be something easy to find but have found no information on that at all.  Thanks so much for your help! ...

Dangerous Abbreviations.......
Aug 27, 2010

I don't use dangerous abbreviations and I never abbreviate in the diagnosis and QA has been changing my reports to abbreviations in the diagnosis and changing words and adding the dangerous abbreviations. Does any else do this, not abbreviate etc? ...

It's Dangerous To Sit All Day-- No Kidding
Aug 31, 2011

Very interesting article-- I just wish the MTSOs would read it.  They expect the MTs to sit for 8 solid hours pounding away like robots and even track "inactivity time" on your computer if you stop for a minute or two.  I am finally free from the MT rat race and found another job where I can actually move around and interact with real people instead of staring at a computer screen for 8 solid hours.  I only hope the scar on my leg from the shackle I have had to wear for years will ...

BOS And Dangerous Abbreviations
Jan 30, 2012

Do the BOS and dangerous abbreviation rules apply to office dictation that is outside the hospital setting (i.e.  private practice offices).  Thanks. ...

I Have Decided VR Is Just Dangerous!
Jul 31, 2013

Really, with this time of VR, who can actually be accountable for the errors in reports?  My VR is HORRID.  It will completely change the name of medications that the dictator dictates and on and on.  So, when a medical error is made, based on a report where the MT didn't catch a mistake on VR, how can they hold the MT solely responsible?  I mean, we didn't TYPE that error, we just missed a word while proofreading.  I wonder why they would allow something with ...

Dangerous Dictators!
Apr 28, 2014

I had an idea and would like some feedback on it.  I was wondering why we don't just call up, anonymously of course, the hospitals repeatedly and complain about some of these dangerous dictators.  This really is a patient safety issue first and foremost, although it would be awesome to do something about them for our sake.  Anyone who works on account BC with the dictator Dr. RK knows this is a patient safety issue.  He is dangerous!  Thanks in advance for your opin ...

Is There A 'dangerous Abbreviations' List?
Feb 06, 2013

Doctors: Making The Roads A Little Bit More Dangerous.
Jun 20, 2010

Just had a dictator on a cell phone mid dictation say:  &!$%, went through a red light. and then continues dictating.  Just lovely.  ...

IT Has Basically Admitted A Key (and Dangerous) Fact
Mar 25, 2013

I informed them of an error regarding a medication output by ASR,something sometimes said, but was not dictated. I was told this was programmed into the software, and they could not (i.e. would not) correct that. I have accused the software (programmers) of putting in often-said output rather than what was actually dictated which they have previously denied. Guess someone slipped up by admitting that was done with this medication. ...

List Of "Do Not Use" Dangerous Abbreviations
Jul 12, 2011

I've searched the JCAHO website.  I used to have a copy but can't find it.  Would someone please be kind enough to point me to the link for the JCAHO list of dangerous abbreviations? ...