A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Dangerous abbreviations....... - Stranger

Posted: Aug 27, 2010

I don't use dangerous abbreviations and I never abbreviate in the diagnosis and QA has been changing my reports to abbreviations in the diagnosis and changing words and adding the dangerous abbreviations. Does any else do this, not abbreviate etc?

Normally client-driven - He who pays wins

[ In Reply To ..]
I've worked for people who say abbreviate everything if it's dictated taht way and people who say no abbreviations in diagnoses/impressions/procedures etc.

Some medical practices say- WHAT DANGEROUS ABBREVIATIONS? :D

Here, too, this is a client decision. These days - Poppy

[ In Reply To ..]
I work through large MTSOs for hospitals with professional risk managers who work with department heads, etc., to decide how they wish it done. Years ago, when I often worked with very little in the way of guidelines, I basically did it your way.

If the hospital is accredited by the osteopathic association, they don't have to do that. - atagirl

[ In Reply To ..]
Worked on an account that wanted every abbreviation imaginable without expanding. The hospital was accredited by some osteopathic association and not subject to Joint Commission, so abbrevs were legal. It saved them a lot of money.

Abbreviations.... - Stranger

[ In Reply To ..]
Ah, guess that's why they're doing it, to save money.

I doubt that is the reason they are doing it. - atagirl

[ In Reply To ..]
When I worked that account, I used to think how many lines I lost and how much the client saved on by that guideline. I had to have a separate abbreviation expander file for that account.

Clinics can also use abbreviations - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I do a lot of clinic work, and I have some that request abbreviations exactly as dictated no matter where in the report.

With it comes down to it, you do as the client directs. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Dangerous Abbreviations
Jul 27, 2010

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a list of the "dangerous abbreviations" in transcription.  I was at a doctor's office one day and saw a sign on their wall that said something about dangerous abbreviations and something about things that transcriptionists should not type...but I left thinking that it would be something easy to find but have found no information on that at all.  Thanks so much for your help! ...

BOS And Dangerous Abbreviations
Jan 30, 2012

Do the BOS and dangerous abbreviation rules apply to office dictation that is outside the hospital setting (i.e.  private practice offices).  Thanks. ...

Is There A 'dangerous Abbreviations' List?
Feb 06, 2013

List Of "Do Not Use" Dangerous Abbreviations
Jul 12, 2011

I've searched the JCAHO website.  I used to have a copy but can't find it.  Would someone please be kind enough to point me to the link for the JCAHO list of dangerous abbreviations? ...

ASR Getting Dangerous
Jun 22, 2010

It seems to me that ASR is making more mistakes instead of "learning" like it is rumored to supposedly do. Today, my dictators are speaking clearly (for a change) and in one report, in the discharge meds he says "none" and ASR puts "Dilantin"???  That doesn't even SOUND the same!  In another it clearly says follow up in 2 weeks and ASR puts "no follow up" in 2 weeks!   I've noticed a lot more things like this in the past week.  What's up?  Think we& ...

Dangerous Doc
Jan 21, 2012

Sex with severe impaction fracture. This is what VR typed out as the doctor stated his name at the end of report. ...

It's Dangerous To Sit All Day-- No Kidding
Aug 31, 2011

Very interesting article-- I just wish the MTSOs would read it.  They expect the MTs to sit for 8 solid hours pounding away like robots and even track "inactivity time" on your computer if you stop for a minute or two.  I am finally free from the MT rat race and found another job where I can actually move around and interact with real people instead of staring at a computer screen for 8 solid hours.  I only hope the scar on my leg from the shackle I have had to wear for years will ...

I Have Decided VR Is Just Dangerous!
Jul 31, 2013

Really, with this time of VR, who can actually be accountable for the errors in reports?  My VR is HORRID.  It will completely change the name of medications that the dictator dictates and on and on.  So, when a medical error is made, based on a report where the MT didn't catch a mistake on VR, how can they hold the MT solely responsible?  I mean, we didn't TYPE that error, we just missed a word while proofreading.  I wonder why they would allow something with ...

Dangerous Dictators!
Apr 28, 2014

I had an idea and would like some feedback on it.  I was wondering why we don't just call up, anonymously of course, the hospitals repeatedly and complain about some of these dangerous dictators.  This really is a patient safety issue first and foremost, although it would be awesome to do something about them for our sake.  Anyone who works on account BC with the dictator Dr. RK knows this is a patient safety issue.  He is dangerous!  Thanks in advance for your opin ...

Doctors: Making The Roads A Little Bit More Dangerous.
Jun 20, 2010

Just had a dictator on a cell phone mid dictation say:  &!$%, went through a red light. and then continues dictating.  Just lovely.  ...

IT Has Basically Admitted A Key (and Dangerous) Fact
Mar 25, 2013

I informed them of an error regarding a medication output by ASR,something sometimes said, but was not dictated. I was told this was programmed into the software, and they could not (i.e. would not) correct that. I have accused the software (programmers) of putting in often-said output rather than what was actually dictated which they have previously denied. Guess someone slipped up by admitting that was done with this medication. ...

Lab Abbreviations
Jul 13, 2010

ELISA, ESR, FiO2, PKU Other than in diagnoses and impressions, should any of these abbreviations be expanded? Thank you. ...

Need Help With Two Abbreviations.
Nov 13, 2010

I am doing two reports of tissue examination and at the end of the Gross description, on one report he says RPE three blocks and on the other report he says ET two blocks. I am trying to figure out what the RPE and the ET means. Thanks for your help. ...

RX Abbreviations
May 19, 2015

Is it appropriate to use BID, PRN, etc., instead of b.i.d. and p.r.n.? ...

Question Regarding Abbreviations....
Jan 10, 2010

I know that we are to expand abbreviations within diagnoses sections. However, what about things like this:  Pulmonary embolism.  The patient was started on IV heparin.  Do we expand the "IV" also?  Thanks. ...

Abbreviations In Diagnosis
Jan 25, 2010

When did this become okay?  I got called on my last QA that spelling out CVA or MI in the diagnosis is a no-no.  ...

Cardiology Abbreviations...
Nov 16, 2010

I'm having trouble with a few cardiology abbreviations that this dr. is throwing out.  "Card (which I'm assuming she's abbreviating for cardiology) - AVR, conduction disorder - s/l RABBB or maybe just RBBB - followed by cardiology."   ...

Abbreviations In AAMT BOS
Nov 23, 2010

HELP PLEASE!  In typing abbreviations on my account specs, it says following AAMT BOS, but the problem I am having is letters.  They are using abbreviations that I should be expanded as it is a letter, (ex. MCP).  I have read to expand these, but for the life of me I cannot find it in AAMT BOS... Any help appreciated. Thanks ...

Ortho Abbreviations
Jul 12, 2011

The patient is in for preoperative evaluation for s/l SAD DDCE?  I know that SAD means shoulder arthroscopic debridement but can't find what DDCE might mean.  That is the only sentence, so I have no other context to refer to.  Thx. ...

Cardiology Abbreviations
Mar 30, 2012

I'm doing a cardiology report.  Can anyone tell me what CLVH and IVF mean? ...

Abbreviations For Immunizations-sm
Apr 13, 2012

Is it okay to transcribe abbreviations for immunizations?  Or should they be spelled out?  Thank you. ...

Abbreviations In INDICATIONS SECTION
Nov 16, 2009

Hello.  I was just wondering, are abbreviations allowed in the INDICATIONS section of a surgical report?  Thank you!   ...

Two OB/GYN Terms (abbreviations) Unfamiliar With
Oct 10, 2010

Haven't done enough of these complicated OB reports I guess.  Doc says patient had what sounds like "COREO" (in which she lost the baby) and something that sounds like "TOCOS" in relation to some cervical irritability.  Can't find anything to verify either.  Any suggestions?   ...

Hyphen In Postop? (BOS Says Abbreviations)
Nov 29, 2010

Should we put a hyphen in preop and/or postop? My spellchecker says it is OK without, but it is hard to read w/o one IMO. BOS says to use a hyphen when joining a prefix to an abbreviation, so would this count as an abbreviation in this case? Or is it more like a shortened form of the word? ...

Abbreviations In Asssessment/plan
Nov 23, 2011

Hi there, I am confused a little on abbreviations in assessment and plan. I am transcribing a H&P and there are a few abbrev. in the assess/plan. Should i expand or leave them? For instance: CPK, LDL, PSA screening, EKG, GXT.... HELP! ...

Expanding Abbreviations In Headings
Sep 19, 2012

Good morning everyone. I'm a bit confused about headings: If "GYN" is dictated in a heading, do you expand it to "GYNECOLOGIC"? I remember from my training that you do; however, I've seen reports that show it as not expanded. D ...

Pathology Medication Name Abbreviations
Jun 27, 2013

About to pull my hair out with these abbreviations ths pathology doctor is giving for the medications.  I have looked in my path book and abbreviation book and it does not list these.  Can anyone please direct me to where I can find a list of abbreviations of the drug names.  I would appreciate it more than I can say.   ...

List Of Medical Abbreviations
May 20, 2014

My computer crashed and I lost all of my auto correct terms :(. Does anyone know of a good list of medical abbreviations?  Thanks, LadyDianaMT ...

Abbreviations In Impression Rules
Sep 10, 2014

I know that according to AAMT we are not supposed to put abbreviations in the Impression/Diagnoses sections, but does that include ALL abbreviations?  Or just ones pertaining to diseases?  For instance, are we supposed to spell out MRI in the impression?  Or just diseases, like PUD or COPD?   I'm a bit confused because I put "MRI" in the impression and QA left that as is, but I also put "PT" and they expanded it out to "physical therapy." Does anyone know? Thanks in a ...

Chart Script, Abbreviations. Does It Always Take
Dec 15, 2014

Whenever I open the abbreviations, it seems to take a long time.   Add an entry, close it, continue typing.   Same thing every time I add a new entry, takes a while to open.  It's going to take forever at this rate to build a list.   Any way to make this go faster?   Cant really be my internet speed, would it?   It's just a quirk of this particular program? ...