A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Should I be worrying so much or do I need to work harder? Re: Practicum - CharlieMT

Posted: Aug 11, 2012

I am so glad I found a place to ask this question and hopefully get some feedback from experienced MTs. Any input or advice is welcome and appreciated.

I finally commenced my practicum on Wednesday and I have completed 5 transcriptions so far (I work p/t so have been fitting them in around those hours).  The average score I have been getting back has been in the low 90's percentage-wise. Is this something to be concerned about? I know the industry standard is 98% and I do tend to be an overachiever so I am not sure if I am being too hard on myself or not. I know this is a "learning time" for sure. I don't expect to be perfect by any means. I am just interested to know what others' experiences have been. The lady who has been marking my work is always very thorough and complimentary on my work but she has never offered a practicum before so perhaps her expectations of me are lower? Or higher? Not sure!

Please tell me about your practicum/newbie experiences. I would love to know where I sit.

Thanks so much!

CharlieMT

First of all - ancient MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I presume you are still in school. Secondly, what school are you attending? Many employers will not even look at certain schools. Thirdly, with scores in the low 90s, yes, you DO have things to worry about. If you were to test for a national that would hire a newbie, there is no way that you would even pass the exam. I don't mean to come across as harsh, but I have been an MT for 32 years and it NEVER ceases to amaze me now why people even want to get into this profession. You may have a "mentor," but to me, a mentor is just that. They should be available to offer feedback, whether positive or negative.

What were your reasons for wanting to become an MT? If it was just the "conveience of working from home because I have small children," wrong idea. If you truly love medicine, language, etc., then it might be a field to pursue. The days of making "mega bucks" in this profession are LONG gone. When I started working from home in 1987, I was making 5 cents a line, workng from casette tapes. Look at what the MTSOs are offering now -- top wages are 8 cents a line. Branching out on your own is nearly impossible with what is going on in the industry today and as someone right out of school, you will more than likely not be able to obtain your own client base. If you are lucky enough to do so, as a new MT, then be prepared for a lot of heartaches and tears, because you will have no one to be able to "help lend an ear," when you are stuck with a difficult dictator. Again, I am not trying to be harsh, but realistic.

Reply to should I be worrying - trina

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow..Ancient's reply hit the nail directly on the head! I too have been in this field for over 22 years and wonder WHY or HOW they can still be offering courses!! REALLY? We are all losing jobs to offshore,VR, etc.,and they still are teaching classes? They are just trying to make a buck on Unsuspecting people who truly believe that they can make $40,000 and up working a home doing this. Good luck with that. I got my experience in a hospital setting with others around me helping. I quickly figured out that there is NO WAY any NEWBIE sitting at home would be pulling in the $$ these people promised you. I've taken such a cut in pay (more than half of what I made in the hospital who went to VR) and send out 3-4 resumes a day without one response. If you want something to Keep you busy at home to make some EXTRA pocket change,then go for it but if you're looking for something to LIVE ON, I suggest you keep searching because this will NOT BE IT.

There are a couple of things that concern me about what you wrote - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Since you asked for advice, I'll offer mine, for what it's worth. You mentioned that you have done "5 transcriptions" so far in your practicum. The first thing to be aware of is what you are doing. You aren't doing transcriptions. You are transcribing medical reports. It would be more appropriate to say, "I have transcribed 5 reports so far." The fact that no instructor has taught you that is worrisome. Just make sure you are learning from a school that has a reputation for producing successful graduates. That will take care of the rest of the questions you mentioned. Good luck with your studies!

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Else Have To Work Harder And Harder Just To Make Lines?
Nov 07, 2009

Six months ago with the Q, I could easily have my 800 or so in 5-6 hours and generally typed over 1,000 a day.  Now, I'm finding I'm struggling to make my 800 at the end of shift, even though I'm doing all the same things, typing even faster, etc.  Is anyone else having this issue?  I have a huge WE dictionary and all the other little tips and tricks and it's never been an issue before.  Thanks in advance!   ...

Accentus Practicum
Dec 16, 2014

I just got accepted to accentus for my practicum. I am hoping its not a nightmare like I have read on here. ...

Worrying Imbalance
Dec 04, 2009

Can anyone help?  This school is going to be the death of me.  Transcribing Neurological H&P.  Under Assessment/Plan, "This is a patient with worrying imbalance.  She did have a normal imaging before, but I did not get an MRI."  I can't find "worrying imbalance" anywhere!  This report speaks of a 54 year-old-woman who "complains of swaying when she is standing or even sitting for long periods."  It had sounded to me as if the Dr. had said whirling imba ...

Do You Spend 80% Of Your Life Worrying About Your Bad Job
Jun 13, 2015

It just seems to me that many MTs spend the majority of their lives worrying about the next bad thing that their employer is going to do to them. No solution. It just occurred to me that a lot of lives are gettng wasted hour by hour because of employer abuse or perceived employer abuse. Your choice. ...

How Long After Testing Can I Expect Objective/practicum Results?
Nov 18, 2009

Has anyone tested recently and heard back? Thanks! ...

Leap Of Faith - After Years Of Worrying And Struggling
Nov 23, 2010

After years of worrying and struggling to make ends meet working here and part time at a 24 hour store, I've decided to take my daughter's advice and move.  I applied for jobs in San Antonio and found an actual transcription job IN A HOSPITAL!  I'll be making a better than decent salary and will be getting actual benefits!  I'll be moving in with my daughter and her BF for a while, but we'll be house hunting soon as my place is sold.  I will also have the time now ...

Is It Me Or Does It Just Seem Harder To Get In A Day's Work..sm
Nov 30, 2011

Too many emails to read, do this, do that in team work, send requests off this way not that way, or else I will deny them and you have to send it in again, client profiles, read this one, read that one, print this one, print that one, you clicked the mouse this many x.  ALL I WANT TO DO IS WORK AND NOT BE DISTURBED.  Geez.  I miss pre2006.  Medquist you have given me undue stess.  Happy Holidays to you. ...

Work Harder
Mar 24, 2015

Or there'll be mandatory OT at noon. Whatever ...

Is It Getting Harder To Pass Audits?
Oct 21, 2010

I had a report where I was marked as a major mistake. I typed status post and it was marked as a major mistake because I was supposed to type ,status post. ...

Is Finding A New Job Getting Easier Or Harder. Nm
Mar 16, 2012

nm ...

I Would Work Harder If...This Is For The Higher Ups
Jan 18, 2015

Let's see who reads this board. This is a challenge to the "bosses" to try and improve production and cut costs. I have worked in many jobs in my life from delivering papers at 12, to retail, to public service jobs, the one constant in ALL of them is..a happy employee is a productive employee. Business 101 says, if your employees produce more, you need less of them, and that cuts overhead. That being said I would be happy if: 1. You simply paid 15 or 20 minutes a day paid time to re ...

Does It Seem Like It Is A Lot Harder To Make Decent Lines?
Sep 27, 2010

Here lately it seems like I am doing more work, and getting less lines. Anyone else having the same problem? ...

NJA Is Making Moving On To Another Career Even Harder.
Mar 02, 2013

Don't know how I am going to pay the next installment of my tuition. Only 11 months to go, but if I can't pay, I'll have to wait until next spring. Time to apply for burger flipper job. ...

Proof Positive - The Harder I Try, The More Careful I Am, The Worse I Do.
Mar 19, 2014

Failed another audit. Third failure in a row and worse than the last 2. Going slower, proofreading, trying harder does absolutely no good. Fooled by ASR a few times too. I am also sick of getting dinged occasionally because AAMT/ADHI decides to change the way something should be written. I have been transcribing for 30 years. I was so careful that, for the first time in a real long time, I have some makeup pay, i.e., I made less than minimum wage. Although I need to inform my QAM that ...

Is Anybody Else Finding This New AP Line Count A LOT Harder To Attain?
Mar 06, 2015

I am typing A LOT harder than before.  ...

Work Harder, Work Faster, Work Extra And STILL Pull
Dec 15, 2012

work is there, runs hot, runs cold, and I plow through it thinking I might earn an extra hundred this check....only to shake my head and wonder why I knock myself out trying.  For what?  Make my mgr look good to her boss, make the company look good to the account??   This helps me how?   ...