A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Some random thoughts - on the nightmare

Posted: Mar 22, 2013

that has now become "working" for MModal.  since I have no work today at the start of my shift, thought I would share.  

New 99% accuracy requirement:  This is the pay cut everyone was fearing, just with a different name.  More accuracy means more time spent going over reports for "errors" hence less pay.  Of course, no pay raises for increased accuracy requirements and no mention of adjusted line count requirements.  It wouldn't surprise me if 100% accuracy was in the works next.  Funny how this came about just as the work has been dwindling down to nearly nothing (make everyone spend more time in reports for less money, therefore it will seem like there is more work).  

I have informed my TSM that I was not hired to produce at 99% accuracy and have asked for documentation of this new policy as well as documentation of what my accuracy requirement was when I was hired.  At this will be something I can take to the UE office when I fail to meet their standards, which I already have twice now, 2 audits by tenths of points  in as many weeks after never "failing" an audit in 30 years of doing MT.  I hope all of us who are left in this mouse-click measuring mad house will push back on this, but I know I can't expect it of everyone.    

Recruiting more MMEs:  Not sure what this one is about, except with more offshoring they probably need more proofreaders for the junk that comes back from India, PI or whatever third world country is doing it now, of course at reduced pay rates but with a lovely, important sounding job title.     

Rumor below that MModal is closing down:  This would not surprise me one bit and would probably be the best thing that could happen to us (kind of like the flying monkeys who where liberated when the Wicked Witch of the West got melted), but is probably too good to be true.  

Amy:  Always wondered if "Amy" was a real person or just an acronym for something like Automated Mmodal Intelligence Entity, (AMIE) a program designed to reassure the drones that there was indeed a somewhat caring human face behind all the double speak and duplicity.  I think now she has definitely been replaced by "The Man."  They're not even bothering to pretend any more.       

We've had the Arab Spring; now maybe it's time for the MT Spring!   Stay strong!  

I was having thoughts too - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Even if these current rumors are not true for this moment, they certainly have future merit.

MM was bought out by JP Morgan for 1 billion. I am sure those shareholders want their money back quickly so they can start listing a profit and this nickel and dime industry of MT is of no use to them. They want the other big dogs MM has up their sleeve.

CEO gives 5 goals for company and transcription not even mentioned.

Work dwindling next to nothing for most of us. Maybe they are not renewing contracts, maybe they are sending more overseas, maybe they are doing both; sending offshore but not renewing those who will not utilize India.

It has been awhile since I have heard an announcement by MM about snagging a large account utilizing their "medical editing" but I do hear about their coding and radiology quite a bit, not to mention other technology advances they offer for the EMR.

Sudden desire to get more MMEs-well if more is going to India (and who knows where else) then they need more people on board to clean it up, keep it TAT and make the client think overseas work is just splendid.

99.5% increase for QA. Not only do they save money in the ways mentioned above, but when we fail the audits they get to dock us 3 cpl...even more money in their pocket.

I kind of believe the posters stating US ops closing by April 1 are trolls, but I do think it is a possibility to just show up to work one day here and be no more. Let's just say that I will be printing off all documentation, NJA tickets, emails, etc so I don't lose it the day we are locked out (because I am sure we will not get a notice...we will all just be shut out).

I do look forward to taking advantage of career retraining after be displaced though...

Oh, I forgot one more of my thoughts - thinking too much

[ In Reply To ..]
As for the business as usual that is happening, like recruiting, most companies will keep everything going normal until the day they shut the doors. There would be a ripple effect from shutting down MT ops, like laying off QA, TSMs, recruiters, HR people who deal only with the MTs, etc, so just keep things moving and nobody suspects a thing.

Honestly, I would love to all wrong because I actually like it here and with a special needs child, the benefits are better then I could possibly get even in-house. I would be sad to see it go.

But I'm afraid that... - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
....if the rumor of MM shutting down U.S. operations IS true (and I'm not saying I believe it is), it wouldn't surprise me if MM works around laying off American MTs off by offering them positions with the Indian operations--a weird thought, but I suppose American MTs would then be considered the "off-shored" MTs. If that were to happen, it's not inconceivable that the American employees wouldn't be eligible for unemployment, since they were "offered positions." Of course, in this scenario, MM probably would be off the hook for UE, severance pay, etc.

This is just a wild, paranoid guess on my part, but that's kind of how it happened for me when my hospital outsourced our work--no UE eligibility because we were offered positions with the MTSO that they outsourced the work to.

"show up to work one day and be no more" - it's - not IF this will happen, but only WHEN.

[ In Reply To ..]
You can see what these people are doing. We're not as dumb as they'd like to think we are. When you continually let US employees go, and keep on hiring the foreign ones, and use every underhanded trick in the book to cheat the workers you still have left, with no pay raises in YEARS, only pay CUTS, and the pulled-out-of-thin air line requirements and accuracy requirements, the writing is very plainly on the wall:

THEY WANT US GONE.

The only reason there hasn't yet been a mass layoff is because they want to starve out as many of us as they possibly can, so that we quit, and when the layoffs finally do come (and yes, they are coming - don't believe for a second that they aren't!), they'll have fewer UE benefits to pay.

I totally agree with you - mona

[ In Reply To ..]
There won't be any US MT's in six months, I bet that.

It's soon going to be 99.6% - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
and the day they try to put me on 100% QA for not meeting this arbitrary and ridiculous goal, is the last day I work though it may be before that as I am ready to retire. There is no other occupation anywhere where you must meet that kind of standard or have your salary reduced.

It's soon going to be 99.6% - kittykay

[ In Reply To ..]
I failed an audit a few months ago. The next one I got 99.6 and I got an e-mail back from the QC that said I passed, but slow down. I was expected to get 100% I guess.

I'm surprised they haven't already made it 99.9%, & - we still get reamed for 0.1% errors.

[ In Reply To ..]
I hate all MTSOs. Every last one of them. Once I'm out of MT (can't wait!), I will never go back, even if were to freeze over, and pay suddenly rebounded to the $25/hour and continued going up. It's the principle of the thing. No more being a slave to crooks.

i did not get a notice that QA was up to 99%. - in 2009 it was 98%

[ In Reply To ..]
terminated

It must be just a certain region. Last I heard, it was still 98%. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

you know you would think - that something so important

[ In Reply To ..]
would be made known to all. Like in writing maybe? everyone seems to have a different idea of what the quality requirement is. I was told it was 99.5, but I don't think I ever actually got that in writing.

It is 99.5 - needtoretire

[ In Reply To ..]
I got yelled at for a QA audit score of 99.3.

Similar Messages:

Random IRS Question
Feb 05, 2011

I've been shopping accountants and have been told 2 different things regarding being an IC and filing with deductions. One told me that in CA a party cannot reside in an apartment and file as/deduct business expenses.  Another one never mentioned this and gave me an estimate for preparation based on filing as an IC and a business return. Does anyone know which of these 2 are correct?  I'm rather confused as how both can be licensed and yet give totally separate guidelines ...

Random Thought
Jun 29, 2012

I do both medical and general transcription. I know there is much discussion about MTs standing a bit above GTs in the Invisible Hierarchy of Transcription because of the responsibility involved and amount of training required. I get that. I also know that general transcription is hard work and requires a lot of knowledge about a lot of things in order to do it well. What I JUST got, though, is the fact that a good general transcriptionist (one who can think and knows how to research unfamiliar ...

Why Is It, If Audits Are Really Random, That
Mar 07, 2015

ones who seem to be audited?  Not the clear-speaking ones EVER.  Usually ESL but not always, as not all are bad.  Not all English-speaking ones are good, either.  As you all know. With that in mind, knowing exactly who the difficult dictators are, and the fact that I never have post audits by them, I am finding it impossible to believe that these audits are "random."  I have about half and half decent dictators and horrible/mumbling idiots, and it's always the latt ...

Random Thought Here - I Was Just Wondering
Jan 15, 2014

if our supervisors have our best interest in mind.   I know they are all scared for their jobs too, but couldn't they go to bat for us and let the "higher ups" know that having us in one giant pool typing so many accounts is not going to help in keeping jobs in TAT.   Yesterday, I got a different hospital for the first 2 hours of my shift - no back-to-back jobs from the same facility until well into my shift.   I was playing catch up all day and all night to ke ...

Where To View Random Audits????
Dec 10, 2014

I know how to check Fiesa and reports I sent for blanks, etc. Now they will be doing these random audits every single week and we have until Friday to get in any questions. Where will these show up? Right in Fiesa? I'm curious b/c these wont be ones I am sending over myself for blanks so where do they show up at for us to see what is being marked off, if anything??Thanks. ...

Is Anybody Working And Getting Random Jobs From Different Accounts?
Jan 10, 2010

Just venting a little.  While I do appreciate being able to work and not getting NJAk, I am a little frustrated getting every other job from 2 or 3 new and different acounts.  Do they really expect me to make line count like that?  I know there is a better way to distribute and get the work done within TAT.  I mean really.... sigh. Looks like the forbidden "national pools" coming back.  If my regular accounts have no work, then why oh why cant that just give me ONE that ...

S/l Random Blood Sugar 110 Mg "percent"
Nov 28, 2011

s/l mg "percent" how is this written? thanks. ...

I Love Their "random" Audits.
Jan 17, 2014

Okay, I'm very familiar with all 10 of my accounts and get them all equally and have no problem with them...except one, which I rarely get and has the worst dictators I've ever heard and is the only one that I struggle with.  Guess which one they audit 98% of the time?  I get audited 2 or 3 times a month for some reason (never failing any yet, however, close), and looking back at my results for the past 6 months or so, nearly all are from the same joke of a hospital.  Al ...

Random Audit Due Today...waiting, Waiting.
Apr 11, 2014

My random audits have happened the last 3 months between the 10th and 15th of each month.  So, now... well, I guess I wait to see where the axe will fall.   ...

QA "random" Review
Sep 30, 2013

I work with a company who does "random" reviews periodically.  I understand this is normal practice and I concur with this policy.  However, I really am stunned to find that the individual performing these randum reviews, is taking files out of QA. I have never heard of such practice and I have been in this career field for well over 30 years. I am just curious if others have run into this practice.  My own personal thought is that if an MT sends a file to QA for a "second listen" ...

Getting A 2nd MT Job - Thoughts?
Mar 25, 2010

I graduated from school last year and have worked as an IC with a company for 3 months.  I was told I'd be the sole MT on one small Ortho account, but now I know I was lied to.  Other MTs grab everything out of the queue and I'm lucky if I make $23/day, many days I get 0 jobs.  The office manager is so clueless that she is entirely unhelpful, and after several attempts I've given up trying to get the work I was promised when hired. I need the money so I can't ...

Any Thoughts?
Sep 09, 2010

I have been researching all the online MT Courses and have decided that the 2 I seem to think are the most reputable are TRSInstitute and Career Step. Any input from anyone on any schools? Or should I even be considering this field right now? I have read alot of discouraging posts. TRSI includes Speech recognition in its course, unlike alot of the other shcools. Thanks! ...

What Are Your Thoughts On
Oct 28, 2010

One of the posts below mentioned something happening in the next two months or by the end of the year (can't find the post now).  Also, I recall some administrative e-mail alluding to the same, the e-mail about how CBay is poised to take over more Medquist assets.  Is something going to happen to us that we should know about? ...

What Are Your Thoughts On This?
Apr 27, 2011

I think that when we edit an ASR document, we should be compensated at our transcription rate for every keystroke we do to make the report ready for the client.  Since Medquist is so accurately able to calculate our keystrokes, mouse clicks and so on, it should be easy for them to determine how many extra keystrokes were required to prepare the final report.  ...

Some Thoughts For Those Considering MT
May 01, 2011

Several people have asked me if I think MT is still a viable career.  Coincidentally, today as I was cleaning out some files, I found notes from a seminar I gave and thought I would summarize a few of the thoughts, hoping they might be of value to someone out there.  (Moderator, if you don't feel this is appropriate, please just delete the post.)  First, there are three "myths" to consider:  1.  The myth that medical transcription is easy money.  Many of the no ...

Any Thoughts On MD-IT
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone have experience with MD-IT? TIA. ...

What Are MTs Thoughts On This? Sm
Sep 10, 2011

If Obama's job act goes through and employers are rewarded for hiring the unemployed, do you think that will make a difference to the companies that off shore and cause the hiring of more US MTs? ...

DQS 7.1, Need Some Serious Thoughts
Oct 22, 2012

On DQS 7.1 I keep hearing how the SR is so much better.  What the heck?  I haven't a clue why anyone thinks this, but I have a trusted friend who agrees her SR has improved dramatically.  My accounts have dropped dramatically in the SR, which leads me to believe that this is potentially due to something my CCM might not have done correctly with our accounts.  We've never had gender discrepancy noted, although this is supposed to happen.  We've never had cl ...

Thoughts On The
Jun 03, 2013

Why not just make it 100% and  get it over with? I guess they figure it's kind of like killing frogs in boiling water.   ...

Any Thoughts
Dec 04, 2013

I typed as doctor dictated, ". . . pee off . . . " Audit dinged me and changed to, "urinated off." What should have been done?  I thought we were not to change what they said. ...

Some Thoughts On
May 20, 2014

Today I was just wondering if the honorees of other appreciation weeks (nurses, lab techs, housekeepers, basically every health-care subgroup) were required to participate in puzzles, games, essays, and otherwise jump through hoops, to get "prizes",  usually a trinket or a low denomination gift card? Maybe I'm just sensitive because I've been doing this long enough to remember when gifts, festive meals, respect and  all-year-long good pay (the best gift of all) were freely gi ...

Thoughts, Anyone?
Jun 21, 2014

Any Thoughts On This...
Jun 28, 2014

Do you guys think the minimum line count will be going up soon? Some states have raised their minimum wage. Trying to figure out how some of us would be able to hold on if it were to go up any higher than 150/hr. Barely able to meet that as it is. Just don't think makeup pay is something they're very happy about having to provide either. So wondering if this will be the end of the line for those of us not meeting production, though not for lack of hard effort. ...

Thoughts On VR-
Jul 06, 2014

of fixing report after report.  VR was sold with fradulant representation. The way this has continued is the MT is to "fix" these reports to the facilities specs and regardless of what comes over, the end report is to be correct.  Therefore, we are made to be our own worst enemy.  I have been saving reports before/after for quite some time and keeping stats on how many incorrect VR words I have to correct, how much formatting I have to do per the specs of the facility, t ...

My Thoughts
Dec 04, 2014

Why don't they just pay the MTs a decent wage instead of paying all the extra QA people for all the extra audits? This is a convoluted mess - transparent to who? Einstein? They need a standard blank submission policy. It is not fair to MLS like me who are not allowed to send any blanks versus those who can send up to 3 directly to the client. My pay will be dramatically impacted. Where is the difficulty factor? They have lied yet again. They really shot themselves in the ...

Softscript: Any Thoughts? NM
Apr 23, 2010

Just wondering. ...

Funny Thoughts
Aug 08, 2010

We have so much American work outsourced to India - India should be our 51st state! ...

Anyone Used M-Modal And Your Thoughts...
Aug 19, 2010

Would like any thoughts on this ... seems strange... ...

Some Thoughts On The S Markers
Sep 16, 2010

I was wondering why in the new 6.1 version, it takes more words to get an automatic S marker inserter (highlighting words then using the delete button).  I used to have to count the words and if 5 or more, used to place the S marker.  I wonder why now the difference.  Do you think the Q keeps track of how many S markers are generally given in our documents as their ASR system is developed, and now wants to give themselves another pat on the back, exclaiming how their stellar ASR s ...

My Thoughts And Ramblings...
Oct 09, 2010

Just the ramblings and observations of me.. The national I worked for the longest was MDI-MD and it truly was the best compared to everything else I had experienced as far as national companies.  The thing they did best was 1) pay the MT premium pay.  2) Offer bonus incentives that were obtainable frequently if the account was out of TAT which really made the pay nice. And 3) and probably most importantly figured out that for an MT to be productive and successful they needed to NOT be ...