A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My thoughts and ramblings... - 2 cents of whatever

Posted: Oct 09, 2010

Just the ramblings and observations of me..

The national I worked for the longest was MDI-MD and it truly was the best compared to everything else I had experienced as far as national companies.  The thing they did best was 1) pay the MT premium pay.  2) Offer bonus incentives that were obtainable frequently if the account was out of TAT which really made the pay nice. And 3) and probably most importantly figured out that for an MT to be productive and successful they needed to NOT be hopping around on all work types and different accounts all day.  You like ops? Okay, you worked ops on an account all day every day and they didn't overstaff the account (upside) but they also counted on you to be there (fair enough).  YES it was boring to do the same dictators all day every day and the same work type but you know what? I could average 350 lph easily because it was so repetitive & I could actually make normals for the docs.  Life was indeed good.  Then, I lost my account mgr. because they were working her to death and the owner flipped out one day evidently (as evidently happened often) and she either quit or was fired.  My new acct. mgr. was drum roll please a former Medquit person.  Now, when I first started working from home, I tried MQ.  Since they are so large, I would guess that practically everybody here has  at one time or another perhaps worked there so I'm not insulting Medquist BUT it seems when you get people from management from that company in your company, things go downhill real fast....I don't know how they could all have such nasty dispositions and complete lack of consideration for other MTs but that has been my experience every time...is there an MQ account mgr. training program they put their people through to make them complete jerks?  I digress but things went from bad to worse for me there after that as she would misconstrue every question, every statement, whatever I said by e-mail and quickly turned the owner against me.  After 5 years, because I needed evidently too much unpaid time off to deal with a family crisis (my father was dying in the hospital), I got the axe.  So I moved on to another company where I've been seen and haven't been on these boards since and I tell you what...I had NO idea what was all going on in this business until I came back on here and have been reading things for the past couple of days.  I had no idea that practically every company had VR now and that MTs were being utilized more as MEs.  Imagine that.  I felt so isolated I'm glad I came back on here and started reading because not only do I not feel so alone and frustrated and clueless but I've also learned that my own company is hiring when they have made no attempts to help me with my requests for more work.  I also found out THEY have VR which I NEVER knew.  Is this crazy or what?  Some people I've read get upset when their companies send out e-mails or do these conference calls and stuff - they just want to be left alone to work BUT I think a company that keeps their employees informed about what is going on is really being considerate.  Offering accounts to their own before they hire outside is another issue of consideration.  Keeping them abreast of where the company is going vision-wise (i.e. VR) is another point of consideration. I see none of that at my current job which is what drove me here to begin with and one should NOT have to learn about their own company on an anonymous board on the internet.

I'm presently back in college (and too old to be there believe me!) but finally decided it was time to do something because I could not take making 600.00 month anymore and all the hospitals around me outsource everything so no jobs to be had.  To me, it's a dying field.  I have felt so unchallenged for so long and isolated at home working (i.e. trying to work, get lines) that it was making my physically sick and so poor I couldn't pay bills - just a desperate feeling.  Well it turns out one of the classes I'm taking is Business 101 because I'm in a massage therapy program and many massage therapists own their own businesses.  I'm learning about business trends (our economy is going to a service industry more than manufacturing which we all knew if anybody knows anybody who worked in a factory that went to Mexico, etc. for cheap labor, etc.) but also learning that for a business to be successful & compete they have to not only make a customer happy they have to "delight" a customer, go the extra mile.  (Think Apple computers - phenominal customer service).  I kinda' laughed to myself when I actually saw this on an MT company website page that they "strive to delight the customer" - good for them, they get it.  The problem comes though for employees with bad leadership and bad management (which are 2 different things).  Mgrs. manage but leaders (usually the owners/top mgmt.) THEY are to set the vision and inspire - as in "this is where we are going and this is how we are going to get there and come on let's go!"  I'm also learning about all kinds of management styles, what works and what doesn't and how to motivate people.  All of this is lacking at most every company here.  Thinking green, benefits that enhance the employees quality of life (flex time, time off for illness or childbirth without losing their jobs), a vision, more importantly a communicated VISION of what the company's core values are, where it is going, etc. & good management that "empowers" employees rather than autocratically dictating to them (and heaven forbid every one of them being on a different page?! that is true fauilure of management and of a company as a whole - that's a ship that is going to sink).  I'm also learning about the downside of business practices though too - it does come down to the almighty $$ but it can be done, companies can make money and their owners become wealthy without trampling over their employees and treating them without dignity or concern. 

This is what I see with these companies here.  Most do not have a mission statement (what are their values? what is their mission? where are they going? how are they getting there?) - they don't keep their employees informed about anything - they hire outside before promoting within - they have too many layers of management and don't trust or empower their employees to get the job done - they don't reward or praise or simply say thank you but focus entirely on negative reinforcement with punishments (pay cuts, lay-offs).  Their MTs are just a faceless # on the payroll.  There are many theories about what motivates employees - most  of it bunk if you ask me and my prof. things so too but for those at the very basic level trying to make it and survive in this economy 9 times out of 10 I said PAY is going to be the motivator followed later by things such as titles and such.  Basic needs have to met first.  I personally think a company can turn a great profit & still pay the MTs a fair wage (more than 7-8 cpl) because if you PAY your MTs well? guess what? you are going to get the best & they ARE going to work, work hard, do it right the first time and you are going to DELIGHT the customer and have more work than you can handle VR/off-shore whatever comes. Employers CAN ENABLE their MTs for SUCCESS!  Figure out how to help them be more productive and do it!  If it means teams working on one work type all day then so be it!  It totally worked at MDI and I hardly ever heard a bad thing on here about that company back then (and the rare ones were stories like mine, bad mgmt got in the door and soured the team motivation, etc. so personal things) and why? Because their employees were busy working and making good pay, being rewarded with bonuses, they had no time and that's true.  True story I didn't know the company didn't exist any longer until just a couple days ago when I came on this board.  (I've nothing but love for ya' Dorothy even though you fired me - I hope your sunning on a yacht somewhere, you deserve it! You were visionary in how you ran that company!)

I suggest this formula - less MTs, the best MTs, great pay, empowerment to make decisions on the spot with regard to their work, less middle management, and working them in a way that makes sense! A way they can be productive, which is a profit for you so EVERYBODY WINS!  Not the present attitude of let's hire (i.e.over-hire) hundreds or dozens of MTs, don't trust them, hire a bunch of management who are NOT uniform in their expectations (the vision again-"how we are getting there") to over-see the work (which is often mediocre because of poor training, over-hiring, low pay (you get what you pay for!) and then punish THEM, causing them to quit or be fired so more money can be wasted in high turn-over, just to recruit a bunch more to under-pay & mis-treat them, which won't inspire them to do go work or work hard or be productive, let them all fight it out to get work to meet their basic production commitments to pay their bills and then have too much mgmt on the payroll still to try to correct bad quality on the back end...wth? It goes in full circle.  That's a crazy business philosophy - bad vision, bad management...

It is about getting the right people on the ship and the wrong people off - tough thing for even me to say but it's true - BUT a company has to treat their employees like the valuable resource they are and people will want to work there, they will get the best of the best, low turn-over, inspired and dedicated workers and a good reputation and "delighted" customers.  It's that simple.

As I learn more these are the things I'm looking for in a company (until I can get through school and do my own thing).  I don't want to be a number on somebody's payroll in a poorly managed non-visionary sinking ship of a company.  It's hard to find.  But I will one thing -- I see a lot of posts about one company here as not being too great in how they're treating people lately & complaints of low work volumes but I do see they have a mission statement (terrific start!) wonder if it is communicated to the employees, emphasized and exemplied by the tops and mgmt for the employees to model?  They are thinking green which is very big in business today - to care and make a contribution somehow to the environment & to go above and beyond with their benefits (paid time off to have a baby? unheard of)  Pay, I hear, is slightly above industry standards (i.e. more than 8cpl) so that isn't fantastic but going in the right direction at least.  I have no idea how they're managed though or how they enable MTs to be productive or if they do but I plan to find out.  At the very least, I can say at least in theory they are abreast of trends in business and have set an example of what successful companies should have as their foundation. 

Sorry to blabber on - just things I am thinking as I'm reading posts and learning about business.  Maybe I should be glad my company left me in the dark and ignore me - otherwise I wouldn't be here and be in school, taking control of my life back, learning about business and what is good practice, what is bad, what I want now that I can make an informed decision and making my own luck instead of waiting for somebody to care about me and give me some work.  Not going to happen at most of these companies - they're getting paid and totally out of touch with struggling MTs...personally I hope they all go under!  and I'll tell you why - if successful business is about getting the right workers on the ship and the bad ones off then the success of the industry needs to be "get the bad ones out and the good ones in".  I realize these are desperate times, personally struggling myself, but until we stand up and refuse substandard wages and substandard treatment we are part of our own problem - we are lining the pockets of companies that don't deserve to be in business.  If everybody leaves the bad ones, they'll go under and the companies scrambling for the contracts will have to learn sooner or later lean that they have no work force (in the US at least) until they pay them and treat them with respect!  Just my dream....

and sorry for all the typos (it's a day off & I didn't proof) - 2 cents ofo whatever NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Oops! Also... - 2 cents of whatever (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
I also wanted to add that when it comes to management style, autocratic/dictatorial is old school and what is progressive and more successful is actually "servant style" management where a company has an inverted pyramid where top management is on the bottom, then middle management and at the top of the pyramid the workers themselves with everybody working to support and enable the success of the workers. Interesting huh? Anybody seeing that at their jobs? lol! The old-school management says people don't want to work and have to be forced to stay on task and have to be dictated to and just basically need to be told what to do and have the whip cracked. Visionary management says people want to be successful and productive and need to be assisted with the tools and guidance to help them be successful and productive. Most importantly, the best ideas come from the people actually doing the job and if management (& owners) truly LISTEN to ideas from workers of what will help them, either make something easier, or more streamlined and implement the best of those ideas and try them, well? If it is a good idea, you get more efficiency AND happy employees who feel they are "part of a team", valued and appreciated and rewarded (& even more inspired). Ideas that are usually successful come from the people who are doing the work and know what will help them. I could just go on and on (and sorry I have) but this is a place I want to work -- some place where mgmt. inspires, organizes, leads and LISTENS! enabling me for success instead of the opposite. Such a win/win for everybody if it worked this way, don't know why they don't get it.

Thanks ! - gintex

[ In Reply To ..]
I just want you to know I LOVED your "rambling". Most especially the (ahem!) MEDQUIT!!! Made my day!

WOW!!! GREAT POST - Thank you.

[ In Reply To ..]
You have great insight and a great vision. Thank you for inspiring me today - a feeling I have not felt in a long time after being treated as you described in your very eloquent post. But I feel empowered after reading this. Things do happen for a reason - your misfortune with work has led to discover this board and make this post and believe me, it will help many, many MTs to read this. Bless you and thank you for posting. You will be successful in owning your own business..I wish I could work for you :-)

Similar Messages:

Ramblings......
Jul 11, 2011

I'm fairly new to this board, but I couldn't help but notice a few things and felt the need to share.  I've spent some time reading back through posts just to catch up and get a feel for what goes on here.  I'm not a newbie by far, I love what I do, have a great position with a small company, and am just simply happy where I am.  So, this is what I've noticed.  Some of you are very helpful and caring in your replies to each other.  Those of you ...

Getting A 2nd MT Job - Thoughts?
Mar 25, 2010

I graduated from school last year and have worked as an IC with a company for 3 months.  I was told I'd be the sole MT on one small Ortho account, but now I know I was lied to.  Other MTs grab everything out of the queue and I'm lucky if I make $23/day, many days I get 0 jobs.  The office manager is so clueless that she is entirely unhelpful, and after several attempts I've given up trying to get the work I was promised when hired. I need the money so I can't ...

Any Thoughts?
Sep 09, 2010

I have been researching all the online MT Courses and have decided that the 2 I seem to think are the most reputable are TRSInstitute and Career Step. Any input from anyone on any schools? Or should I even be considering this field right now? I have read alot of discouraging posts. TRSI includes Speech recognition in its course, unlike alot of the other shcools. Thanks! ...

What Are Your Thoughts On
Oct 28, 2010

One of the posts below mentioned something happening in the next two months or by the end of the year (can't find the post now).  Also, I recall some administrative e-mail alluding to the same, the e-mail about how CBay is poised to take over more Medquist assets.  Is something going to happen to us that we should know about? ...

What Are Your Thoughts On This?
Apr 27, 2011

I think that when we edit an ASR document, we should be compensated at our transcription rate for every keystroke we do to make the report ready for the client.  Since Medquist is so accurately able to calculate our keystrokes, mouse clicks and so on, it should be easy for them to determine how many extra keystrokes were required to prepare the final report.  ...

Some Thoughts For Those Considering MT
May 01, 2011

Several people have asked me if I think MT is still a viable career.  Coincidentally, today as I was cleaning out some files, I found notes from a seminar I gave and thought I would summarize a few of the thoughts, hoping they might be of value to someone out there.  (Moderator, if you don't feel this is appropriate, please just delete the post.)  First, there are three "myths" to consider:  1.  The myth that medical transcription is easy money.  Many of the no ...

Any Thoughts On MD-IT
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone have experience with MD-IT? TIA. ...

What Are MTs Thoughts On This? Sm
Sep 10, 2011

If Obama's job act goes through and employers are rewarded for hiring the unemployed, do you think that will make a difference to the companies that off shore and cause the hiring of more US MTs? ...

DQS 7.1, Need Some Serious Thoughts
Oct 22, 2012

On DQS 7.1 I keep hearing how the SR is so much better.  What the heck?  I haven't a clue why anyone thinks this, but I have a trusted friend who agrees her SR has improved dramatically.  My accounts have dropped dramatically in the SR, which leads me to believe that this is potentially due to something my CCM might not have done correctly with our accounts.  We've never had gender discrepancy noted, although this is supposed to happen.  We've never had cl ...

Thoughts On The
Jun 03, 2013

Why not just make it 100% and  get it over with? I guess they figure it's kind of like killing frogs in boiling water.   ...

Any Thoughts
Dec 04, 2013

I typed as doctor dictated, ". . . pee off . . . " Audit dinged me and changed to, "urinated off." What should have been done?  I thought we were not to change what they said. ...

Some Thoughts On
May 20, 2014

Today I was just wondering if the honorees of other appreciation weeks (nurses, lab techs, housekeepers, basically every health-care subgroup) were required to participate in puzzles, games, essays, and otherwise jump through hoops, to get "prizes",  usually a trinket or a low denomination gift card? Maybe I'm just sensitive because I've been doing this long enough to remember when gifts, festive meals, respect and  all-year-long good pay (the best gift of all) were freely gi ...

Thoughts, Anyone?
Jun 21, 2014

Any Thoughts On This...
Jun 28, 2014

Do you guys think the minimum line count will be going up soon? Some states have raised their minimum wage. Trying to figure out how some of us would be able to hold on if it were to go up any higher than 150/hr. Barely able to meet that as it is. Just don't think makeup pay is something they're very happy about having to provide either. So wondering if this will be the end of the line for those of us not meeting production, though not for lack of hard effort. ...

Thoughts On VR-
Jul 06, 2014

of fixing report after report.  VR was sold with fradulant representation. The way this has continued is the MT is to "fix" these reports to the facilities specs and regardless of what comes over, the end report is to be correct.  Therefore, we are made to be our own worst enemy.  I have been saving reports before/after for quite some time and keeping stats on how many incorrect VR words I have to correct, how much formatting I have to do per the specs of the facility, t ...

My Thoughts
Dec 04, 2014

Why don't they just pay the MTs a decent wage instead of paying all the extra QA people for all the extra audits? This is a convoluted mess - transparent to who? Einstein? They need a standard blank submission policy. It is not fair to MLS like me who are not allowed to send any blanks versus those who can send up to 3 directly to the client. My pay will be dramatically impacted. Where is the difficulty factor? They have lied yet again. They really shot themselves in the ...

Softscript: Any Thoughts? NM
Apr 23, 2010

Just wondering. ...

Funny Thoughts
Aug 08, 2010

We have so much American work outsourced to India - India should be our 51st state! ...

Anyone Used M-Modal And Your Thoughts...
Aug 19, 2010

Would like any thoughts on this ... seems strange... ...

Some Thoughts On The S Markers
Sep 16, 2010

I was wondering why in the new 6.1 version, it takes more words to get an automatic S marker inserter (highlighting words then using the delete button).  I used to have to count the words and if 5 or more, used to place the S marker.  I wonder why now the difference.  Do you think the Q keeps track of how many S markers are generally given in our documents as their ASR system is developed, and now wants to give themselves another pat on the back, exclaiming how their stellar ASR s ...

Bayscribe ASR - Your Thoughts Please
Jan 26, 2011

What are your feelings about Bayscribe's automated speech recognition program? We have been using it now for 2 or 3 months..personally I think it sucks ... ...

ROI Testing - Any Thoughts?
Jun 01, 2011

Man I feel so bad!!!  I have typed radiology for 8 years.  I took the test and I failed.  I saw other posts on here of people who have had more experience than me and failed.  I took the extra time to look up all of that BOS stuff.  I am not sure where I went wrong.  I saw somewhere that they asked about their test results but couldn't get any answers.  I am feeling .   I haven't ever scored low on audits and such, so I am second guessing my ...

IC Right Out Of School? Thoughts Please!
Jul 27, 2011

I need some help.  Ok, I have a BA in Psychology, and am soon to be a grad from MTEC.  I have a friend from church who's Dr's office would be willing to hire me as an IC.  However, I'm a little freaked out by that b/c I would not have anyone to check my work, which to me is like a lawsuit waiting to happen.  I don't know if in that case I would pay someone to review my work, or how that would work. I just sent away for a book on being an independant consul ...

What Are Your Thoughts On M Moday?
Nov 29, 2011

x ...

Thoughts On M-Modal?
Jul 15, 2012

Anyone have any info or thoughts on M-Modal?  I have been offered to test.  Line rates, pay, etc., any information would be helpful GOOD or BAD. psw ...

Thoughts On Nuance
Jan 24, 2013

I had been with a GREAT hospital job for the last 20+ years. One day, completely without warning, we were all called in and told that we were being outsourced to Nuance. No worries, though, we will hire all of you, and all of your seniority will carry over. Recruiters present at the meeting talked up Nuance like it was some kind of step up from the hospital. We were then given folders with our names on them and inside was information for our new job with Nuance. We had 24-48 hours to let them kn ...

My Thoughts On Nuance
Feb 16, 2013

I'm usually a very peaceful person, wishing no ill will toward my fellow man, but when it comes to those running Naunce all bets are off.  Whenever I'm working, I can't help but fantasize that the suits get run over by a car or a mugger shoots them in the head or that they fall sick to a painfully long, terminal illness.  I know it's wrong for having such thoughts, but this company brings out the worst in me.  I HATE these people! ...

Some Random Thoughts
Mar 22, 2013

that has now become "working" for MModal.  since I have no work today at the start of my shift, thought I would share.   New 99% accuracy requirement:  This is the pay cut everyone was fearing, just with a different name.  More accuracy means more time spent going over reports for "errors" hence less pay.  Of course, no pay raises for increased accuracy requirements and no mention of adjusted line count requirements.  It wouldn't surprise me if 100% accuracy w ...

Any Thoughts On The New Headings?
Nov 20, 2013

Lines. Hmm, when I worked at a hospital, I used to do blocks of SOAP notes in one document and puts lines in between patients (for more characters) for as long as I could get away with it.   You don't suppose Mm has figured out a new way to overcharge clients (but of course not pay us).  On the other hand, maybe they just had a bunch of programmers with nothing better to do.  ...

Sharing Thoughts
Jan 27, 2014

I check MT Stars frequently just to see what people are saying.  I'm a QA person.  I'm at the tail end of my career (38 years) and I must admit, I'm fairly happy with Nuance.  I have a great boss and thankful that I can work from home, get fairly decent health insurance and have working hours that fit my lifestyle.  I HAVE taken a drastic cut in pay which is a bit disheartening.  The "Good Old Days" are long gone.  I'm very thankful for ...