A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Random IRS Question - CA MT

Posted: Feb 05, 2011

I've been shopping accountants and have been told 2 different things regarding being an IC and filing with deductions.

One told me that in CA a party cannot reside in an apartment and file as/deduct business expenses. 

Another one never mentioned this and gave me an estimate for preparation based on filing as an IC and a business return.

Does anyone know which of these 2 are correct?  I'm rather confused as how both can be licensed and yet give totally separate guidelines about IC filing.

Thanks for any clarity you can lend!

Apartment Comment Bogus - mtan

[ In Reply To ..]
Many believe unless you have a "separate entrance" for clients to "visit" your home-based business that you're not really in business. The Internet gives pause to that claim. Have used apartment office for years as MT/small MTSO for over 10 years. No complaints from IRS. You just calculate the space you use with percentage of total square footage according to the IRS schedule for home office deduction. Other than that, would find an accountant that specializes in small business/home office clients. Actually, that's scary that you were told that. Keep looking!

TO MTAN - QUESTION - CA MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for your post...Are you in CA?

What you describe is precisely what we were told last year by the person who figured our taxes and has moved away (which is why we're trying to find a new accountant this year).

CA MT - Wanda

[ In Reply To ..]
I have the best CPA in the Bay Area and he has consistently advised me to take the office in home deduction--and I do live in an apartment. We have never been questioned or audited.

Ditto; 2 CPAs in a row have done the - home office deduction for me

[ In Reply To ..]
and I've lived in an apartment the whole time. When I asked the first CPA if it isn't an IRS red flag, he said no, not in this day and age, because of the huge numbers of people who now telecommute. But 20 years ago? Sure-fire audit flag.

Ask your close friends and relatives who they like as an accountant. Ask your attorney and your broker, even. Mine was recommended to me both by my broker and by my mother's church friends.

Not necessarily a red flag - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked out of an apartment before it was "fashionable" in the business world, in the sixties! And I only got audited once. I had kept careful records and honest books and I went to the audit and won, no problem.

Similar Messages:

Random Thought
Jun 29, 2012

I do both medical and general transcription. I know there is much discussion about MTs standing a bit above GTs in the Invisible Hierarchy of Transcription because of the responsibility involved and amount of training required. I get that. I also know that general transcription is hard work and requires a lot of knowledge about a lot of things in order to do it well. What I JUST got, though, is the fact that a good general transcriptionist (one who can think and knows how to research unfamiliar ...

Some Random Thoughts
Mar 22, 2013

that has now become "working" for MModal.  since I have no work today at the start of my shift, thought I would share.   New 99% accuracy requirement:  This is the pay cut everyone was fearing, just with a different name.  More accuracy means more time spent going over reports for "errors" hence less pay.  Of course, no pay raises for increased accuracy requirements and no mention of adjusted line count requirements.  It wouldn't surprise me if 100% accuracy w ...

Why Is It, If Audits Are Really Random, That
Mar 07, 2015

ones who seem to be audited?  Not the clear-speaking ones EVER.  Usually ESL but not always, as not all are bad.  Not all English-speaking ones are good, either.  As you all know. With that in mind, knowing exactly who the difficult dictators are, and the fact that I never have post audits by them, I am finding it impossible to believe that these audits are "random."  I have about half and half decent dictators and horrible/mumbling idiots, and it's always the latt ...

Random Thought Here - I Was Just Wondering
Jan 15, 2014

if our supervisors have our best interest in mind.   I know they are all scared for their jobs too, but couldn't they go to bat for us and let the "higher ups" know that having us in one giant pool typing so many accounts is not going to help in keeping jobs in TAT.   Yesterday, I got a different hospital for the first 2 hours of my shift - no back-to-back jobs from the same facility until well into my shift.   I was playing catch up all day and all night to ke ...

Where To View Random Audits????
Dec 10, 2014

I know how to check Fiesa and reports I sent for blanks, etc. Now they will be doing these random audits every single week and we have until Friday to get in any questions. Where will these show up? Right in Fiesa? I'm curious b/c these wont be ones I am sending over myself for blanks so where do they show up at for us to see what is being marked off, if anything??Thanks. ...

Is Anybody Working And Getting Random Jobs From Different Accounts?
Jan 10, 2010

Just venting a little.  While I do appreciate being able to work and not getting NJAk, I am a little frustrated getting every other job from 2 or 3 new and different acounts.  Do they really expect me to make line count like that?  I know there is a better way to distribute and get the work done within TAT.  I mean really.... sigh. Looks like the forbidden "national pools" coming back.  If my regular accounts have no work, then why oh why cant that just give me ONE that ...

S/l Random Blood Sugar 110 Mg "percent"
Nov 28, 2011

s/l mg "percent" how is this written? thanks. ...

I Love Their "random" Audits.
Jan 17, 2014

Okay, I'm very familiar with all 10 of my accounts and get them all equally and have no problem with them...except one, which I rarely get and has the worst dictators I've ever heard and is the only one that I struggle with.  Guess which one they audit 98% of the time?  I get audited 2 or 3 times a month for some reason (never failing any yet, however, close), and looking back at my results for the past 6 months or so, nearly all are from the same joke of a hospital.  Al ...

Random Audit Due Today...waiting, Waiting.
Apr 11, 2014

My random audits have happened the last 3 months between the 10th and 15th of each month.  So, now... well, I guess I wait to see where the axe will fall.   ...

QA "random" Review
Sep 30, 2013

I work with a company who does "random" reviews periodically.  I understand this is normal practice and I concur with this policy.  However, I really am stunned to find that the individual performing these randum reviews, is taking files out of QA. I have never heard of such practice and I have been in this career field for well over 30 years. I am just curious if others have run into this practice.  My own personal thought is that if an MT sends a file to QA for a "second listen" ...