A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

No one wants to be an MT. Most colleges have stopped offering classes. You'd think MM - CH

Posted: May 05, 2015

would ty to keep the workers they have at least a little happier.  One would think they've already lost enough experienced MTs!  And with ASR/VR continually getting worse - just what kind of reports will there be when we're all gone.

My doctor told me - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
she was surprised that there were still MT jobs. Most practices, all of mine, send a nurse in and fill in my medical record, then the doc comes in and types the rest as we go..Don't like it, but that's the "thing" now..Was told by the local hospital I used to type for that they no longer use MTs, they use scribes or medical students. So the job itself is not long for the world, because of money and EMR. If your new, find an alternate career, one that actually pays more than a burger flipper.

Scribes have no medical knowledge. They can mess - some stuff up big time. BTDT. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Obviously the docs don't care what they mess - up..cheaper nm

[ In Reply To ..]
X
BTW - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I am a self-taught, no medical training, MT-3. With google and an ear, it is not THAT difficult
Maybe you're a tier-3 now, but I'd hate to see your work - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
when you first started out with no training or experience...
Really? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Been doing this 20 years, never fired. Lots of accolades though. I research, always have, and I learned as I went. Consistently test out as a tier 3, so there goes your theory.
I said when you first started, not 20 years later. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Never had a problem at the beginning - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
sorry to ruin your day.
sm - tier 3 - skylar
[ In Reply To ..]
NM- Some people are just talented. Why is that hard for you to accept? I swear NM, you're not happy until you come to the forum and are being hateful to someone...

NM means "no message" - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
So you're saying you agree it's such - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
an easy job that you don't even need training for it? That would justify it being practically a minimum wage job now, but we all know it's not like that. You can't pull someone off the street & expect them to be able to do this. Heck, let an RN try to type this stuff & watch what happens. This job is not easy and we are way underpaid. It really makes me wonder what MT would say these things in the first place.
SM - you agree? - Skylar
[ In Reply To ..]
No, actually I don't agree by far. While I do think some things come naturally to some, my point to NM, or should I say NO MESSAGE, is that some may have a natural talent regarding some terminology, but I highly disagree that this is an easy job by far. I believe it takes A LOT of experience and A LOT of knowledge to know this job, and I could not agree more that we're all underpaid. Sorry if I offended any MT. It's hardly a God given talent and some do think we have it made, but they don't know nor understand we punch a clock just like everyone else, and are probably monitored more than a lot of jobs - "pause time," etc. I went to college to be an MT. Again, I DO NOT think it is just something that EVERYONE could do w/ease, at all. I hope I've clarified my point. And, again, my comment should have been addressed to BTW, not SM. :)
Okay, just a misunderstanding :) - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
NO MESSAGE - MISUNDERSTANDING - Skylar
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, a misunderstanding NO MESSAGE. You're human, I'm assuming? :)
Yeah me too, I was just born knowing all the different - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
drugs, dosages, generic forms, what diseases they treat, anatomy & physiology, cancer meds, diseases, abbreviations, 50 different accents... no problem at all, didn't even have to spend much time researching.... easy, no problem at all. So easy a caveman could do it... they really shouldn't even pay us as much as they do, it's just so darn easy! (sarcasm off now)
Toot, toot - anony
[ In Reply To ..]
to SM
Actually, being a successful MT has far less - to do with formal "training" than - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
it does with an innate ability to hear, understand the nuances of what you hear, the ability to remember how to spell things, and in HUGE part the ability to teach yourself as you go along.

I started my MT career with only a 20-week terminology course under my belt. Sure, I was slow, but as I researched, asked questions, learned and remembered, my speed built up each week. For the most part my work didn't have too many mistakes because instead of just assuming something was right, I looked it up or asked someone.

That by no means diminishes the job of MT. You work just as hard to teach yourself as you do to learn MT in school. I think it's actually an advantage to learn on-the-job, as I did, because you are using everything you learn right away, thus remembering more of it than you do if you learn it in school or online, and then there's a gap before you're actually using it.

The industry is different now than it was when I and the poster who also was self-taught began their MT careers. Back then there were few places to learn MT in a school setting, and accuracy was actually more important than it is now, obviously. The reports I and other noobs like me turned in were far better than the jumbled mess VR and foreign MTs are producing.
Exactly. anony - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Although I have a college degree in completely different field, I don't learn well in the college environment. OJT worked very well for me because the field fascinates me. I am a hands on learner. Research was actually fun, 20 years later, I am bored because I have learned most of the useful information I need. Over the years I have invested in thousands of dollars in books and references, Google has made the job even easier.

You think those people in India have gone to formal MT school? I highly doubt it. I trained the original ASR. It was actually pretty darned good, at least, my account was. The day it was released overseas, was the day it all went to crap, and it is still crap to this day. Actually it is worse than it was back then.
Well, obviously the scribes aren't doing so well, why the MOT? And better - CH
[ In Reply To ..]
make sure you keep track of your own medical history/records, if you don't already.
To SM - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
My oh my, aren't we the boastful one?

I totally diagree with you. Although it may ". . . not be THAT diffiult," I don't believe all that many people have the knack for it.

Just sayin.
Anyone remember? - anony
[ In Reply To ..]
A song called "Oh Lord, It's Hard to be Humble?" Some of the lyrics included:

Oh Lord, It's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.

Here's the lyrics if you are interested - anony
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.I can't wait to look in the mirror cause I get better looking each day.To know me is to love me I must be a hell of a man.Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can.I used to have a girlfriend but I guess she just couldn't compete with all of these love starved women who keep clamoring at my feet.Well I prob'ly could find me another, but I guess they're all in awe of me.Who cares, I never get lonesome cause I treasure my own company.Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way,I can't wait to look in the mirror cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man.Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can.I guess you could say I'm a loner,a cowboy outlaw tough and proud.I could have lots of friends if I want to, but then I wouldn't stand out from the crowd.Some folks say that I'm egotistical.Hell, I don't even know what that means.I guess it has something to do with the way that I fill out my skin tight blue jeans.Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way,I can't wait to look in the mirror cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me. I must be a hell of a man.Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can.We're doing the best that we can

Done by Mac Davis.
I had the biggest crush on Mac Davis when I was a kid ;) - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
always liked silly guys with dark curly hair and a big nose after him, LOL.
My husband went - horseback riding
[ In Reply To ..]
with Mac Davis once back in the 70s. (He knew his cousin or was dating his cousin or something). He said they had a heck of a party.

There are some exceptions, like my friend - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
My friend's husband is a doctor and he wants her to do his transcription. That's a growing trend for some of the doctors who don't like having SR forced on them. There are probably other exceptions too, but I would do exactly what she is doing. I'm pretty sure she has direct access to him in case he gets sloppy with his dictation.

Similar Messages:

Can Anyone Recommend Some Colleges . . .
Jul 25, 2013

Even better if they accept some college classes in transfer (I know that depends on the transferring college) and work experience?  Are there any online schools that are approved by AHIMA? ...

Apply At Local Universities And Community Colleges
Aug 01, 2012

Me again.  If you live anywhere near a university or community college, consider applying there for a job.  It will most likely be civil service, which means you will need to take a test to measure your skills, and then you will be ranked on the interview totem pole according to your test score and level of skills.  It's a fair process.  It doesn't matter who you know.  It only matters HOW MUCH you know.  At our local university, there are 2 clerical categ ...

Thread About Accredited Colleges/Schools - School Loans - And Oppressive Debt Resulting From Them -
Jan 07, 2012

There's an interesting thread on the New MT board about accredited schools, school loans, and oppressive debt students are facing. I did a search today and there are dozens of articles talking about how students are thousands of dollars in debt for student loans when the education they got was so poor that they can't find a job at all. Others can find a job, but it will take 20-30 years for them to pay back the student loans.  They went to those schools because they got pressured ...

Can Anyone Tell Me If MQ Stopped Matching
Mar 27, 2011

401k contributions?  I know they had a 50% match back a long time ago when I was first hired. I heard something about them not matching anymore?  Anyone know if this is true? I wouldn't be surprised with what they have already and continue to take from us.  Watching Suze Orman show; she says if your company doesn't match to stop contributing and start a Roth IRA.  ...

Has Anyone Stopped Doing MME Work?
Jun 15, 2012

Has anyone been an MT, MME, and ASR and then quit doing the MME part and gone back to just MT and ASR work?   If so, did it make any difference in your paycheck for better or worse?  How did your workflow change?  Are you glad you quit doing MME work or would you like to go back to it again?    Also, has anyone actually switched positions within MModal or Medquist from being an MT to something like a virtual customer service representative or something that is still ...

Has Anyone's Company Stopped Using B.i.d.?
Jan 11, 2013

On a recent transcription test I was informed that it was not used by that facility anymore.  Just curious if it was particular to them or a new thing I have not heard of.  ...

If Every Single MT Stopped Transcribing For One Day?
Feb 04, 2010

What would happen if every single MT stopped transcribing for one day?  How much money would they lose? ...

Coding Program Stopped
May 14, 2014

Just got an email from our manager saying they are stopping the program for the next week or so until they get the bugs worked out.   We are supposed to type until they figure out their next step.  Some of the students still don't have the encoder program.  I think a big part of it is because of the ruling to delay ICD9.  Who knows if it will start back up again.     Will keep you guys posted.  ...

Infinity IN-USB-1 Pedal Stopped Working ...
Dec 31, 2010

In the middle of a dictation when I pressed the pedal it wouldn't stop the dictation.  Now it won't play anything.  I've had it a few years and never had any problems.  I restarted the computer, even did a system restore, and still not working.  I downloaded the driver just in case it mysteriously decided to go away.  Is there any way to test to see if it's defective?    ...

Finally Sick Of It And Just Stopped Typing...YAY! Nm
Jul 11, 2011

nm ...

Audio Stopped Playing On DocQScribe
Jan 06, 2012

Has anyone else had a problem with the audio stopping?  I was in the middle of a report and my audio stopped playing.  I checked my foot pedal and all seems well there.  I even tried to use the CTRL space to make it play...nothing.  Interestingly, the FF and REW functions appear to be working fine. Thanks in advance!! ...

Failing Audit Stuff Has Stopped
Apr 28, 2014

that the failing audit stuff has stopped. Was this an effort to get us to slow way the heck down so they could lower our PTO rate? ...

Is It Just Me Or Have MTSOs Stopped The Stupid Testing?
Oct 28, 2014

The last 3 job offers required no testing at all, just a casual phone interview. What gives? ...

My Windows Live Mail Stopped Working
Sep 22, 2013

I refuse to talk to Phil in India, does anyone have the instructions on how to hook it up so I can reinstall it? Please ...

Mt Classes
Jul 24, 2013

I was at our county fair this afternoon (town of 2200) and I know someone who works in the on-line tech school office and she said that the MT classes are going strong and students are graduating and getting jobs, but apparently they are in-house.  I am going to get the teacher's name and number and call her and see where they are going and how much they are making as this does not make sense at all.  The place the classes come out of is about 80,000 people and I know that all the ...

S/L EX-JATE For Iron Overload, Which Was Stopped Due To Allergic Reaction.
Oct 21, 2009

thank you ...

Microsoft Used To Make A Soft Touch Keyboard But Stopped...
May 20, 2010

really miss that keyboard, I can't remember its name but they quit making it about 5-6 years ago.  Does ayone know of a comparable one?  Where you barely touch the keys and there is no click?    ...

Grammar Errors Stopped Checking In Word 2007
Oct 14, 2011

All of the sudden Microsoft Word 2007 stopped checking grammar.  I went to proofing and the box is checked for "Hide grammar errors in this document only."  However, the box cannot be unchecked.  It is like this for all documents, even new ones.  Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks so much. ...

Rutherford Classes...sm
Nov 27, 2009

Rutherford classes - should they be Arabic or Roman Numerals?  TIA. ...

Friedman Classes
Mar 13, 2012

I am getting back into typing for ENT and am blaking on how to transcribe "Friedman" classes - is it using roman numerals or arabic?  Friedman class III tonsils, class I palate?  Can anyone shed some light on this? ...

I Want To Take Coding Classes ...
Jun 26, 2012

I want to take coding classes, but the school that everybody says is the best is an online course.  I am an MT, working full time and then some.  The last thing I want to do is sit in front of the computer any more than I already do.  Why can't these classes be offered in a regular class setting?  I've never liked the idea of online school as long as I'm working on line.  Just too much sitting and staring at the screen.  I don't think I'm al ...

Required Classes
Mar 28, 2013

I am furious. Now, we are required to take classes on our own time without being reimbursed. What nerve. ...

Enrich Classes
Jun 26, 2014

Is it just me or are you fed up with this company's requirements to attend online classes to "YOU TOO CAN BE 99% PERFECT"?  I can't get out of this garbage fast enough.  I attended on online class today that I felt I was in romper room.  F- this!  How do any of you continue to put with this company's mandates? ...

VBC Job Offering
May 12, 2015

Definitely agree wtih poster on job board about no VBC, offering 7 cpl without spaces is absurd.  I love op reports and am local to the job posted but once I saw it ws 7 cpl VBC I was definitely not interested.  That would be equal to maybe 5.25 cpl with spaces, take out taxes and you are down to about 3.5 maybe, what else can they take? ...

Best Places To Take Coding Classes?
Oct 08, 2010

What are some of the best places to take coding classes?  I want to make sure it is going to teach me and not leace me in the open.  THanks ...

Can You Take Online Classes For Coding?
Dec 20, 2010

I'm new to this board so bear with me.  Having been a MT forever it seems, I'm thinking of making a switch to coding. At one point I was even hired as an entry level coder, learning on the job, but when i position came open in transcription took that as it paid better. In hindsight wish I had stuck with the coding as then could have gone either or even both ways.  My problem would be having to actually "go" to a school in person , but i would want something reputable, not som ...

Taking On Line Classes
Aug 05, 2011

I wonder how many of us transcribers are getting trained in other professions or cross training.  I am going to start an accounting class on line this month.  ...

I Forget. How Are Classes Transcribed? Sm
Jan 18, 2012

Class four heart disease. ...

Books For Coding Classes (sm)
Mar 17, 2012

We are using the book "Basic ICD-9-CM Coding."  I would like to know what other books other schools are using for Coding I.  I do not think this book is the best for me!  Can anyone suggest any others? ...

Medical Coding Classes
Jun 16, 2012

Trying to decide which online course for medical coding to take.  I am hearing Andrews college talked about quite a bit and have researched them but will not be covered by my FSSA grant. anyone have any input on online coding courses that would be covered by my FSSA grant? Unfortunately finances are a big determining factor. ...