A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medical rewrite: Why the $116M Spheris sale will change the transcription business - dnr

Posted: Apr 24, 2010

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/04/26/story1.html?b=1272254400^3245651

This link was on the Benchmark KB Dashboard 

Medical rewrite: Why the $116M Spheris sale will change the transcription business

The sale, which was scheduled to close Thursday, combines the country’s two largest players in a $15 billion medical transcription industry struggling to reinvent itself in the face of technological advances.

Whether it succeeds could determine how health care providers meet guidelines for federal stimulus dollars and how your next doctor’s visit becomes a matter of medical record.

“This sale is a decision point for companies moving forward,” said Chris Cashwell, senior vice president for client development at Nashville-based Webmedx Inc., the fourth-largest transcription company.

“Do they want to continue to be seen as an outsourced commodity for driving down costs or a technology partner in improving patient care? Whoever wins that marketing battle with providers will end up the winner.”

Also of note in the article, - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
"According to a recent survey by KLAS, an independent research firm that monitors medical transcription companies̢۪ performance, 44 percent of companies have seen their dictation volume rise within the past year while another 40 percent said they stayed the same.

At the same time, doctors are including more information in patients̢۪ medical records, and some hospitals and clinics are requiring doctors to document more, according to the KLAS report."

Guess there really isn't a shortage of work, just a shortage of what Kumar will let us have.

Also of note in the article, "Each year, independent research firm KLAS ranks medical transcription companies̢۪ overall performance based on a variety of measures. "

MQ rates 9 and CB rates 11

Kumar may no longer have a choice - So says my boss

[ In Reply To ..]
My team was just informed that we will be getting some accounts back from the Indians due to the doctors complaining about their quality. Revenge? Priceless.

Yes, priceless. - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]

Smile

yeah!! - raining pennies

[ In Reply To ..]
This makes 2 areas now.another post two weeks ago said they got some big accounts back from Indai because clients were very dissatisfied. she was in the south I believe. This made my day also! I noticed the last week I had way more of my primary than what I was used to getting.not sure what is up with that.we have been having ot off and on this week though. I hope this is all a step in the right direction.

Important fact about KLAS: Only 15 companies were ranked last year. sm - Soon to be ex-MQ MT

[ In Reply To ..]
This was Webmedex's first year, and some of the other big companies were not ranked. I think you have to pay to be ranked and very few do it.

Theyre ALL "losers", in my opinion. -nm - Rocky Raccoon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Preziosi, What a dumb thing to say! - mere transcriber

[ In Reply To ..]
Instead, medical transcriptionists̢۪ roles must evolve from a mere transcriber of doctors̢۪ notes to an editor of patients̢۪ medical records, Preziosi said

Similar Messages:

Spheris Sale To CBAY Hits A
Apr 01, 2010

$75 million Spheris sale to CBay hits roadblockBy Kumar Shankar Roy Mar 25 2010 , Kolkata CBay Group's chief executive Raman Kumar's $75 million attempt to buy key business of bankrupt medical technology US firm Spheris may get stuck with Larry Ellison-led Oracle, globally the second biggest software maker, voicing its displeasure over the deal. http://www.mydigitalfc.com/companies/75-million-spheris-sale-cbay-hits-roadblock-650   ...

Career Change After 20 Years Of Medical Transcription
Dec 22, 2013

Anybody got any ideas for a career change for someone that has been doing medical transcription for 20 years? ...

British TV Sting Reveals Medical Records For Sale In India
Dec 03, 2009

According to articles in The Economic Times and The Daily Mail, an undercover investigation by Britain's ITV1 television program "Tonight" has revealed that medical records of UK citizens are available for purchase from Indian black marketeers. Quoting from The Economic Times article: The modus-operandi employed to procure the records was simple. Chris Rogers, the [television] programme’s presenter, contacted two Indian salesmen through an internet chat room, and posed as a marketing ...

Does Anyone Know If Scan Medical Is Still Hiring Or In Business. Nm
Jun 02, 2012

dd ...

Medical Benefit Change
May 09, 2011

open enrollment is bringing a new medical insurance at 3 times the cost.  What is going on?  Isn't the pay low enough...now all to be eaten up with healthcare costs?  ...

Going Solo In The Transcription Business
Dec 07, 2009

I see all kinds of inquiries regarding different transcription companies, but is there anyone out there who is seasoned in their own transcription business who would be willing to correspond with someone who is wanting to start her own small (one-person) transcription business? Thanks... ...

Is Cornerstone Transcription Out Of Business?
Nov 27, 2010

I tried to send my resume and it said that it failed permanently. ...

Starting A New Transcription Business
Oct 24, 2013

I am going to attempt to start my own transcription company but in the age of EHR Obamacare rules, how would I go about doing so? What are people charging these days? I am seeing per minute, per line, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Transcription Only Accounts At Spheris -
Dec 30, 2009

Are the straight transcription-only accounts at Spheris loaded with horrible dictators? Thanks! ...

Selling My Business To Viva Transcription
Jun 18, 2010

I was approached by VIVA transcriptionabout selling my business by handing over my list of clients. Has anyone worked with them before? ...

Transcription Business Proposition From India
Sep 28, 2010

Just got a phone call from heavily accented gentleman who called and said he had a business proposition for me from India.  He knew my name, so I am assuming he got it from my resume.  Anybody else ever gotten these calls?  Just found it odd. ...

Going Digital - I Run A Small Transcription Business
May 16, 2012

Hi, I need some advice.  I run a small transcription business (me, myself and I) and my doctors are still using casettes (I know, they are die-hards).  I am trying to switch over to digital and need some advice as to the best equipment to use.  I only have about five doctors so I don't want' to go into too much expense.  Can anyone give me any ideas for inexpensive call in systems and digital transcribers? Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks. Marj ...

Is Axolotl/OptumInsight Still In Business? The Transcription Part.
Jan 01, 2013

X ...

Medquist Buys Spheris For $116 Million, Spheris Execs Get Their $850K Bonus
Apr 15, 2010

Having paid too much you can be assured their will be layoffs a plenty in about 6 mos time. ...

SPHERIS ON AUCTION BLOCK TODAY - Transcend Submits Bid To Acquire Spheris - See Press Release
Apr 13, 2010

HOT OFF THE PRESS SEE BELOW     Transcend Submits Bid to Acquire Spheris     ATLANTA, Apr 09, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- TRANSCEND SERVICES, INC. /quotes/comstock/15*!trcr/quotes/nls/trcr (TRCR 17.43, +0.13, +0.75%) , the third largest provider of medical transcription services to the U.S. healthcare market, announced today that it has submitted a bid to acquire substantially all of the assets of Nashville, Tennessee-based Spheris, Inc. and the stock of ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Change From SR Report To Total Transcription
Aug 24, 2012

How do you switch from a SR report to a total transcription file.  I am transcribing more than I am editing on this report and, in my opinon, should be paid to transcribe and not edit. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Possible Sale Of Nuance?
Jun 17, 2014

The Boston Globe:  "Could Nuance Communications Inc. be up for grabs — again?  The Burlington maker of speech- recognition software has talked with several possible buyers, including Samsung Electronics Co., The Wall Street Journal reported Monday.   Samsung would not have much use for the other parts of the Nuance business, Ives said, such as its large business units that provide hospitals with medical transcription services and businesses with call center techn ...

Is Nuance Up For Sale
Aug 16, 2014

I just chanced upon this interesting article which suggests so.Nuance’s $250 million 2027 Convertible Notes redemption is either a signal of an imminent buyout or a red herring.If one read between the lines and disregarded the noise during Monday's earnings, a very interesting event was announced which could signal a buyout is on the horizon: Nuance is calling back all of their $250 million, 2027 Convertible Notes (at 2.7%).It is my belief that the redemption of these notes is in an ...

Did Transform Fall Off The Map After Their Sale?
May 09, 2012

There are no want ads from them, no one on here complaining or praising them.  Did they disappear after their recent merger? ...

ASR, The Proverbial Brooklyn Bridge For Sale
Jul 16, 2010

Whoever sold the medical transcription industry on what a timesaving, streamlining, cost saving state-of-the art boon to the profession ASR would become is the scammingest grifter I ever heard of.  oops.  It is saving costs by decimating transcriptionists' pay.  I wonder how many years they have left to make  payments on the Brooklyn Bridge. ...

MModal Perks Laptop Sale
Aug 14, 2014

Just a word to the wise....we bought my son a Lenovo laptop from Best Buy a year and a half ago.  Nothing but trouble.  We sent it back in 3 times to be repaired when it was under warranty.  Came back each time still broken.  After the warranty ran out we took it to a local shop and the guy said all it needed was a new hard drive, installled one and it has worked ever since.   I would highly recommend you stay away from Lenovo.   ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

Anyone Heard The Rumor That Silent Type Is Up For Sale?
Jan 28, 2014

X ...

Http://online.wsj.com/articles/nuance-communications-explores-possible-sale-1402936735
Jun 16, 2014

In the news today. http://online.wsj.com/articles/nuance-communications-explores-possible-sale-1402936735 ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...

JLG Medical Transcription
Sep 09, 2010

Any info on JLG pros/cons, pay would be greatly appreciated. ...