A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Starting a new transcription business - Help!

Posted: Oct 24, 2013

I am going to attempt to start my own transcription company but in the age of EHR Obamacare rules, how would I go about doing so? What are people charging these days? I am seeing per minute, per line, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

My advice? Don't do it. - Kitty

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not worth it. Start a different business instead like selling shoes or something. Everyone needs shoes. Medical transcription? Not so much anymore.

I agree with Kitty - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Medical transcription is no longer a good line of work to be in.

if you can offer more than just med trans, might still be a good biz to start - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
More and more offices are goign to point/click, Dragon (Front end speech), or becoming part of bigger groups and even hospital groups so they can have all tech and clerical stuff provided for them. Will be harder to get local clients.

Typing for students used to be a good fir, but so many kids are tech savy these days they do their own typing themselves.

See if there are any writer's guilds in your areas, some authors do still dictate or write out in long hand and need manuscripts typed.

Having a store front with notary, fax, copying, secretarial, mail handling, shipping, etc. is still a good biz in some areas, but expensive to get fully set up.

Help! - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
This is absolutely not a put-down, but a reality check. If you don't know the basics of doing this, you need to take a basic business 101 class and then get some MBA who specializes in helping small/solo businesses like MTSOs to write you a formal business plan, if you are going to do it. You need to speak with your banker about a business loan, with your attorney about legal coverage (especially in light of all of the requirements of Obamacare), and with your financial adviser about whether to do it at all. If I were you, I would consider something else. I quit MT after a 40 year run as both an MTSO and a plain old contract MT. Not trying to discourage you, but you deserve to know the truth. There are undoubtedly people who will disagree, and that is fine. We are all entitled to our opinions. Just please, don't "go into business" for yourself without the proper financial backup and business savvy. When I started my own MTSO three decades ago, I went to a business conference for women and interviewed several banks who were financing small businesses. I selected the bank whose style I best felt matched mine. (I live in a large city and had a lot of choices.) However, when my income dropped a whopping 66% in the mid-2000s, I decided to hang up the keyboard. Fortunately, I am old and could afford to do that. My heart aches for younger people who still have to work and have several years to retirement. Good luck to you, whatever you do.

Going into business - Big dreams

[ In Reply To ..]
I would agree to not limit yourself to just medical transcription, such as typing resumes and things. However, one can get a canned generic resume online and do it themselves with just a few alterations.

I think the bigger issue is that you've had no training in owning a business. Kind of reminds me of people who think they can open a restaurant because they know how to cook and like to eat. It's a whole different ball game and you need some serious courses in running a business. People get college degrees to learn how to run a business, even a small business.

I don't understand why you are choosing medical transcription or any type of typing service....help us understand.

Big dreams - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Big dreams, you have called it exactly! Your analogy is spot-on. I am a foodie and hang out with a group of wanna-be Julia Childs. While some of them would probably be able to pull off opening a restaurant, I surely would not, and would not try. The most serious way, IMHO, people who want to start out on their own shoot themselves down is not to take at least one basic business course and have at least one session with a good business attorney and a good small business CPA. Whatever the OP does, I wish her luck, but I view starting an MT service in this day and time the same way I would view investing in the commodities market. You might get lucky, but basically, it's like going to Vegas and putting it all on red. With apologies to Clint Eastwood, Do you feel lucky? :)

Thanks Old Pro - Big Dreams

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, Old Pro! Gosh, I can transcribe like the dickens, but I don't know the first thing about running a business. Not trying to dissuade anyone, but I think people don't realize the expense, either. Accounting, bookkeeping, liability insurance, especially if people are working on-site, equipment responsibilities, business taxes, etc., etc.

Can you afford to go without a paycheck? - Been there, done that

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you afford to wait for 6 to 8 weeks for vendors to pay you? It's not like getting a regular paycheck every 2 weeks. Do you know what your federal and state taxes will be? How about the cost of equipment, maintenance, health insurance? What happens when work slows down AND you have to wait for your vendors to pay you . . . 6+ weeks. Just some questions you need to ask yourself.

Similar Messages:

Starting A Business
Jan 29, 2011

Hi. I am new to MT boards here but wondering about how one would start a home business. I have worked for companies as a subcontractor but wish to advertise for myself and get some work from local doctors on my own. I would likely need a mini transcriber if I have to pick up and drop off tapes, but how does one do it over the internet? Would there be a way to get it through email set up of some kind with audio wav files that they could dictate to and I access it from there and just type and emai ...

Starting My Own Business
Aug 28, 2012

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to start my own business.  I am tired of working for 5 cents a line.  This is below minimum wage.  I did get in touch with Transcription Gear and they gave me a lot of insight on the equipment I would need.  I am looking for info here on what is a fair price per line or page fee and also how to market myself the right way.  Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Starting An MT Business...any Thoughts
Dec 24, 2010

I have been an MT and QA for 6 years and have been employee, as well as IC.  I am ready to branch out and start my own MT service.  Starting with single physicians and then eventually working my way up and hiring other MTs and expanding my business.  Are there any resources out there that I can refer to that will help you to know how to GET CLIENTS!!  There are no books out there but one about how to start an MT business but it is sooooooo outdated!!!  Any information f ...

Need Help-starting Up Own MT Business-advice Appreciated
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT business and have been in the process for about six months now.  I just do not want to get it up and running and realize that I forgot something or messed up somewhere down the line.  My main concern is the new HITECH Act that goes into effect in February.  I plan on having a couple of girls working for me from their homes and I am just confused on the exact rules and regulations that coincide wtih this new act.  Also, I need advice on the best way ...

Starting A Business, Info On Filing Taxes, FICA, Etc.
Jan 04, 2011

In starting your own transcription business, without using an accountant, how do I find out what I need to do in order to file taxes, FICA, etc.?  Is there one website that would give me the best information? Can't afford an accountant for now. Thanks so much! ...

Need Help! Starting Business. Need A Decent Line Count/invoice
Jan 04, 2015

Line count and invoice software that would be compatible with Word 2003.  Ideas?  THANKS!!  Free is always good, but I'll pay a bit if need be. ...

Going Solo In The Transcription Business
Dec 07, 2009

I see all kinds of inquiries regarding different transcription companies, but is there anyone out there who is seasoned in their own transcription business who would be willing to correspond with someone who is wanting to start her own small (one-person) transcription business? Thanks... ...

Is Cornerstone Transcription Out Of Business?
Nov 27, 2010

I tried to send my resume and it said that it failed permanently. ...

Selling My Business To Viva Transcription
Jun 18, 2010

I was approached by VIVA transcriptionabout selling my business by handing over my list of clients. Has anyone worked with them before? ...

Transcription Business Proposition From India
Sep 28, 2010

Just got a phone call from heavily accented gentleman who called and said he had a business proposition for me from India.  He knew my name, so I am assuming he got it from my resume.  Anybody else ever gotten these calls?  Just found it odd. ...

Going Digital - I Run A Small Transcription Business
May 16, 2012

Hi, I need some advice.  I run a small transcription business (me, myself and I) and my doctors are still using casettes (I know, they are die-hards).  I am trying to switch over to digital and need some advice as to the best equipment to use.  I only have about five doctors so I don't want' to go into too much expense.  Can anyone give me any ideas for inexpensive call in systems and digital transcribers? Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks. Marj ...

If Starting A Small Transcription Service, What Is The Best...sm...
Dec 08, 2011

Is Axolotl/OptumInsight Still In Business? The Transcription Part.
Jan 01, 2013

X ...

Medical Rewrite: Why The $116M Spheris Sale Will Change The Transcription Business
Apr 24, 2010

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/04/26/story1.html?b=1272254400^3245651 This link was on the Benchmark KB Dashboard    Medical rewrite: Why the $116M Spheris sale will change the transcription business   The sale, which was scheduled to close Thursday, combines the country’s two largest players in a $15 billion medical transcription industry struggling to reinvent itself in the face of technological advances.Whether it succeeds could determine how ...

The VLC - Are They Still In Business?!
Dec 22, 2009

I'm a student with The VLC online school.  I sent in 2 assignments 9 days ago and haven't heard back from them.  They've never been particularly swift reviewing assignments but this is getting ridiculous.  I emailed both the instructor and the general contact address and got Mail Delivery System messages to say that "delivery has been delayed.  Error: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP."  Their forum site is down although the main web site is still ...

New Business
Apr 05, 2010

I have started my  own medical transcription business and it is going great!  I decaled my vehicle, designed a website and distributed a professional-looking brochure to all medical offices in my city.  How many of you out there are MTs that started their own business?  I would like some feedback on how it is going for you. ...

Going Out Of Business?
Jun 21, 2010

I hate the way things are going, MTSO lost their largest account.  I was promised the same amount of work with the 'other' accounts.  Had all but 7 short notes today.  I think I should just jump ship and find another job.  I am NOT liking the way things are going...Been doing this for a LONG time and I can tell when something is up.  Of course, I asked, they won't tell me the truth, they SELDOM do tell the truth of what is really going on. ...

DIT Is Still In Business?
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know if DIT is still in business?  They do not return phone calls and do not respond to emails.  Just wondering. ...

Why Is It Anybody's Business?
Nov 18, 2010

I really resent the fact of being critiqued on how i transcribe/edit a report.  Why is it anybody's business if I use the mouse, keystrokes, or type it with my toes, as long as the report gets done?  I'm sure we all have different styles that work for us - so what's wrong with that?  This is carrying micro-management way too far.  ...

Own Business
Aug 12, 2011

I'm wanting to start my own MT business, small scale, moving away from these big national companies. Anybody been there, done that, have a good experience, and some advice as to where to start? ...

Look At This-get Out Of The Business While Ya Can
Aug 23, 2012

Looks like according to this article that Nuance really did try to buy out MModal:   MModal to Disclose Data to Settle Suits Over Acquisition By Jef Feeley - Aug 10, 2012 10:35 AM CT Facebook Share LinkedIn Google +1 0 Comments Print QUEUE Q MModal Inc., a maker of medical- transcription software, agreed to make more disclosures about a $1.1 billion buyout offer by a unit of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) to settle investor lawsuits over th ...

Does Anyone Know If QMT Or GCT Are Still In Business?
Feb 20, 2014

A friend said her work load dropped at GCT and she was asked to take a PRN status, but suspected the EPIC system the hospital started.  I know that QMT is also affilicated with the same hospitals. Does anyone have work? ...

How Many Of You Had To Get A Business Licence
Oct 13, 2009

I am curious how many of you had to get a business licence.  I live in OR and was told by the tax lady that I need to get a city business license.  Does everyone have to have one.  I keep getting surveys as though I am a business with employees (how many employees, size of building I run my business from, etc).  So am just curious how many others got this and is it a requirement as an IC to have the license. (just wonder if my tax lady was wrong). ...

One Good Way To Get Out Of This Business.
Mar 24, 2010

Fed up with it?  Also fed up with the usual job sites that repeat the same ones over and over?  Go to your state's Employment Commission web site.  Click on site for state job postings.  Put in your job criteria, and make sure you click the one that says G for General Public.  Put in full/part time, etc.  You can even select the county in which you wish to work.  When the jobs are posted you usually have 10 days to do an online application and can submit ...

Greed In The MT Business
May 04, 2010

I believe greed has taken over the transcription industry.  If the client is charged so much per line, does he only have to pay half for voice recognition?  I doubt it.  The voice recognition should have been a tool for the transcriptionist to be able to produce a lot more lines . . . instead I believe it is so the higher ups can line their pockets with gold and stomp on the MLS.  Transcend is now sooooo greedy they are sending almost half of the work overseas at night.  ...

Business License?
Aug 03, 2010

Under what circumstances would MTs need business licenses?  Are they only needed if the MT is running a home office?  Working for people in the same state?   ...

Anybody Else In The Letter Business?
Aug 30, 2010

The conglomerate I type for mostly (which is about 30 university clinics, each with 150 or so non-English-speaking residents) sends almost everything in "letter" form.  There is a useless letter standard, but I spend the first 1-2 minutes of the dictation on the address (and have to manually re-enter into the cc list), usually have to go Google to try to find how Dr. Swishandswash spells his name and address in Podunkville.  It is killing me.  There must be some way to stream ...

Rather Than Claim 'it's Just Business'...
Sep 03, 2010

I'm wondering if those who claiim that this is 'just business' and it's how business is done everywhere can give a valid reason why it is more beneficial for the company to lay off without giving notice versus letting employees know they are getting laid off?  I'm trying to look at the employer perspective now and see what benefits the company by not announcing future lay-offs. ...

Business Licenses
Sep 28, 2010

I live in Florida and am trying to obtain a business license for medical transcription.  My county and city do not give them out and they tell me to call the State of FL, I have called about 10 different numbers and no one can help me.  If there is anyone out there who has a business license for medical transcription in the State of FL, please let me know how you went about getting one.  ...

MedQuist The Business
Mar 08, 2011

Does anyone know how many people MedQuist employs?  How many of them are MTs?  How many hospital accounts does MQ have?  Is it the largest MTSO in the US?  Just curious. ...