A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT role - always evolving (FACT - brief response) - StoicMT

Posted: Apr 14, 2011

The role of the MT is always evolving.  No doubt we are all trying to figure out a way to stay afloat.  One of those ways could be for the MT to go beyond just transcription into assisting with the clinical documentation (including the complicated ICD-10).  Some doctors believe that medical transcription is one of the least efficient parts of their medical practice.   Certainly, many MT's have moved beyond transcription into speech recognition Medical Editors, further ensuring accuracy of the clinical documentation.  One would think that an MT would be more efficient by utilizing speech recognition.  Recently, I have read several physician forums and it appears that the docs truly want to say goodbye to expensive and inefficient transcription. 

***In response to comments (below) about ICD-10 / coding:

FACT:  A leading provider of medical transcription services and technology-enabled clinical documentation workflow solutions, today announced that it has been awarded a contract by University a leading academic medical center, to provide computer-assisted coding technology and outsourced coding services.

University selected MTSO based on its ability to demonstrate both ICD-10 readiness as well as the streamlined workflow features to the technology platform including automatic chart assignment and automatic quality assurance which enable complete, accurate coding in a rapid, efficient manner. The addition of outsourced coding services expands University's current partnership with MTSO for transcription outsourcing services.

Evolving - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
I am glad I know about transcription and never step into my own doctor appointments without checking the documentation. Yes doctors look at this documentation process as a necessary evil or maybe even unnecessary evil, but without documentation docs would be lost. Just tonight I had a postmenopausal male. I have had prostates in females and ovaries and uteruses in males and I do not know how many times doctors̢۪ waffle between right and left. I sure would hate to have the wrong side amputated because of the wrong documentation. I see documentation going away when they insert chips in us with all the documentation just a scan away.

I'd like to say goodbye to all the expensive and - inefficient DOCTORS! (nm)-MTWordz

[ In Reply To ..]

I remember 1990 or so when there was an experiment to have MTs do coding - It was a disaster! See message

[ In Reply To ..]
In order for "helping with" coding to work, the person doing it has to have serious coding skills, to the point of being credentialed, and then they won't have time to transcribe, meaning neither will get done effectively. I suppose you could do a sloppy job of both, but I wouldn't be willing to do it that way.

Back many years ago when there was a very short experiment having MTs do coding, it was a disaster! The reason was, coders do more than just look up a code in the book and MTs do more than just hear sounds and write them down. There was so many hundreds of thousands of dollars lost that they scratched that idea. Real, credentialed coders are needed to do coding if hospitals, clinics, and doctors hope to get paid for their services. What MTs do is very important to that process as well, but those two jobs do not go together well if anything, accurate MT or coding that results in appropriate payment, are going to be done.

What would happen is you'd end up with neither MT nor coding being done well - Walker

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember that 'experiment' very well. There were people who were almost religious about it, for about a minute and a half, then the money stopped coming in because the coding was really bad. The way it was explained to me is, it cost millions before they changed back to what I would call purist MT and coding, each one done by people who know what they are doing, each one filling an important role. I've done both, separately, and I am here to tell you that you cannot do both and do either one well. This is one of those ideas thought up by people who get paid for coming up with ideas, even bad ones.

Oh my gosh, can you imagine this scenario? - We will have 3 groups of people yelling at us

[ In Reply To ..]
We'll have the regular pressure of TAT to get the records so they are available for clinicians.

We'll have the additional pressure of people screaming at us to get the coding part done so they can do the billing!

But wait, I just thought of a 3rd group that will be screaming at us, because the coding was not what they wanted in order to get paid more.

Coding - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding is complex. MTs would not be able to do it properly and accurately without additional training. It needs to be right the first time so the facilities can be paid, and the facility can be fined if deficiencies are caught when you are audited. It takes time to read the record and assign codes and transcription TAT would suffer, not to mention how confusing that would get. We all know how frustrating it is to get interrupted multiple times during the day. It might work in a small office where you could transcribe and code in blocks of time but not if you did it for each individual record.
I think a hospital I worked at thought they were giving the additional training - there is training and there is training, LOL
[ In Reply To ..]
They just gave a short training course for those MTs and expected them to code like credentialed coders. They were lost, and so was the money that got lost due to inaccurate coding. The funny thing about it was they were so self-righteous about this new system.

Even if they had MTs who were also credentialed coders, they would either have had time to code or they would have had time to transcribe, but not both unless they wanted errors in both. So, no, to the OP, I don't think this is a good idea at all, if you are interested in excellence. Only an organization that is happy to accept sloppy and inaccurate MT and coding could love a plan like that.

Every few years someone thinks up an idea that costs lots of money and lasts 6 months - Seen it all too often

[ In Reply To ..]
Everybody suffers except the person who thought up the idea, who usually gets paid by the idea, whether it's a good idea or not.

I'm always open to new ideas but making the MTs code too is a really dumb idea - at so many levels as Dr. Phil would say

[ In Reply To ..]
I've actually seen what goes into coding. It isn't that it's especially hard to learn, but it takes time to learn, you need to learn it at the level of being able to pass certification tests, which takes at least a year, and isn't something that you just grab a book, like you would a dictionary, and look up a code. That's just an invitation to disaster.

IF I wanted to be a coder, I would get a solid coding education, get certified, and leave MT altoget - I would not mix the two

[ In Reply To ..]
That's just a silly idea. Now I have no problem with the idea of switching to a career in coding. If I decide to become a coder though, I want to be the best coder I can be, and that's all I want to do. If I am a certified coder, which coding jobs demand, I don't want to do MT along with it. That's just silly. When would I have time to transcribe? For that matter, when would I have time to code, unless I just toss a few codes in there? You could not do a good job of either one if they try to force you to do both, and keep a good TAT. Ridiculous!

Pity the poor companies that think combining the 2 is more 'efficient' - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
The idea that it would make their medical practice more efficient and less expensive is wrong. There is nothing efficient about what you just described, StoicMT. It would not save those companies any money in the long run and in fact, would be a financial disaster to them.

"Assist" in some vague duties which include coding? I don't think so - Prefer solid coding training and real job

[ In Reply To ..]
If I wanted to be a coder, I would go into it with all my energy and motivation, to be the best certified coder I could be, and then I would be a coder, not someone who is "assisting with" a very vague description of duties including coding.

I would not consider being a coding "assistant" with those other vague duties you describe. I would either get solid training and certification and work as a coder, or I wouldn't.

Let me put this politely. No. - Successful MT of many years

[ In Reply To ..]
This sounds like a scheme concocted to make money for an MTSO and make it impossible for an MT/assistant coder to make money. I would not consider it.

This would be a great way to destroy an MTSO business - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
If I were advising an MTSO and I wanted them to fail for some reason, I would advise exactly what you described. I can think of some companies that I hope will try it.

FYI -- national MTSO provides coding techno - StoicMT

[ In Reply To ..]
A leading provider of medical transcription services and technology-enabled clinical documentation workflow solutions, today announced that it has been awarded a contract by University a leading academic medical center, to provide computer-assisted coding technology and outsourced coding services.

University selected MTSO based on its ability to demonstrate both ICD-10 readiness as well as the streamlined workflow features to the technology platform including automatic chart assignment and automatic quality assurance which enable complete, accurate coding in a rapid, efficient manner. The addition of outsourced coding services expands University's current partnership with MTSO for transcription outsourcing services.

Not surprised but it's still a bad idea - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

sounds like two different departments under one MTSO with full staff - for BOTH to me. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
like working inhouse where transcription is under the medical records department and so is coding...we never did each other's work.

Are you sure you interpreted that correctly?

I would jump for the chance! - nutzzarella

[ In Reply To ..]
In the late 1980s, I was coding after my transcription. Fast forward to the early 2000 years and I was MTing part time and coding part time for different facilities. To be able to do both for the same facility, IMHO, would be my dream job. yes, I did hold CPC credentialing during those latter years. Being a coder made me a better MT, and vice versa.

Me too, Nutzzarella. The day I see a trend I can depend on, - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
I sign up for coding classes (my memory's too poor to sign up ahead of use, or I'd have done it long ago). I'd enjoy the additional challenges that coding presents as I've pretty much had gram/punc nailed for a long time now. :)

BTW, the article quoted in OP's post refers to "computer-assisted" coding and outsourced coding. As computers are able to do more of each job, coding and transcription, having one person entering the file once to review, refine, and correct makes sense to me. The times they are achanging. As always.

That's different. You were a credentialed coder and knew what you were doing - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Gallbladder Removal...Impression Is "questionalbe Evolving S/l PYRANASE Vs Phlebitis R/O
Apr 14, 2012

Gallbladder was removed, and the impression was "questionable evolving *PYRANASE* versus phelbitis"...anyone know? I have no clue! :( ...

The Role Of MT's To EMR Adoption.
Nov 18, 2009

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Isb2WcKZg3EJ:www.executivehm.com/article/The-Role-and-Relevance-of-Medical-Transcription-to-EMR-Adoption/+EMR,+no+transcriptionist&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a   There is more in the beginning.   Ms. Daigh continues with a relevant illustration about documentation time and costs, noting the example of a typical outpatient visit to an internist and indicating that it takes about one minute to dictate a note for an ...

Question Regarding Role Of CCM.
Jul 05, 2013

Does anyone know what the role of the CCM is? It seems all they do is make sure there's adequate coverage for all of the accounts, so MT scheduling/schedule adherence, accepting or denying PTO requests, some Teamwork stuff, approving time sheets -- what am I missing? Also, does anyone know how much they get paid? This seems like the easiest job in the world, considering no weekends, no holidays. I hear from mine about once every 2 weeks when she sends out reminders to approve your time shee ...

WOMAN'S ROLE
Mar 31, 2014

In answer to my original post to Val, only 2 issues here, Val:1. We are almost all woman. It is run like a system that once historically ran hospitals. We are not a Walmart, Kmart, Target, McDonalds. We are skilled workers, women for the most part, and from the old days, historically this has been a woman's role/job in a fraternity of higher powers, the men who once often had nuns as cohorts filling this postion for no pay at all.2. Although some individual hospitals may not care about thei ...

I'm Not Sure I Fully Understand The Role Of Our
Mar 28, 2014

"QC coaches."  Anyone really know ~ because I am curious. ...

We Will Check A CK S/l Agoloase To Make Sure That His Simvastatin Is Not Playing A Role With His Mya
Mar 02, 2013

Patient with kidney disease.  We will check a CK s/l agoloase to make sure that his simvastatin is not playing a role with his myalgias ...

THE SAD FACT IS
Dec 02, 2013

VR is far from perfect, we all know that. It is terrible with names, he and she, and numbers versus dates. How many times have I seen things like glucose 01/10/2013? Too many to count! The names are wrong about 90% of the time, i.e. Mr. Jones is a blah-blah-blah and it comes through Mr. Mcfart is a blah blah blah. At least MOST of the time it puts in "patient" instead. WHY,WHY,WHY does it put IMPRESSION so many times when the doctor says ASSESSMENT? Or vice versa. Today, I had two doctor ...

Intersting Fact
Dec 31, 2013

At the local VAMC food service workers and housekeeping aides start out at $15.50 an hour - as a 30-year MT I make $8.50 an hour. ...

Does Anyone Else Hate The Fact
Feb 08, 2015

It bugs me that my post audits are done in India. Several things have come back that I KNOW I wouldn't have left in the report - yet they get marked off. So very frustrating to me- and even more frustrating that this will NOT change.... ugh, I want OUT of this place ...

I Love The Fact That You Can Float Down Below
Oct 14, 2009

at the bottom of the boards.... this is wonderful ; thanks MTStars....  :) ...

FACT CHECKER = WMX MANAGEMENT
Sep 02, 2010

Too late.  Too bad you didn't treat people better when this happened.  It's too late now, your reputation is ruined.  Your company will soon be history.  Then come back and let us know how all that rah-rah cheerleading is workin' for ya! ...

I Honestly Do Not Know What Is Worse: The Fact That
Dec 23, 2011

my former employers lied about why I no longer work there and I will not get food stamps now because of that (two kids starving, too, not just me) or the fact that the other place has not even contacted them.  Flat out no one cares anymore.  Unless you have cheery pinch your cheek posts, no one cares.  No one cares you go very hungry:(  Sad world.  And my former employer admits she lied:( ...

There Is Irony In The Fact That We Have Been Told
Apr 03, 2014

of MModals coding program, because none of us know what is in it except for the coders taking the program.  Then, when we ask what is in it, Coder won't let them answer.  There is a whole slew of unnecessary responses to a question about CPT coding, and none but the very end came from an MModal coder.  All that I wanted to know was if they were taking it.  I did not need commentary from another coder(s) regarding what they thought was in it or what they believed should b ...

Fact Checker - Those Of Us Who Have Read These Boards
Sep 02, 2010

for a while know you must be "that guy" whose responsibility it is to come here and do damage control.  Whenever something big happens in a company or an MT gets a raw deal, there is always someone who attaches themselves to a thread to blame the MT - obviously their quality sucked or clearly they didn't show up for work or everyone else is getting laid off so why not you. Here's the thing - we see you a mile away. The fact that you randomly decided to show up on the boards  ...

IT Has Basically Admitted A Key (and Dangerous) Fact
Mar 25, 2013

I informed them of an error regarding a medication output by ASR,something sometimes said, but was not dictated. I was told this was programmed into the software, and they could not (i.e. would not) correct that. I have accused the software (programmers) of putting in often-said output rather than what was actually dictated which they have previously denied. Guess someone slipped up by admitting that was done with this medication. ...

Rapid Outsource Imaging Fact Or Fiction?
Oct 28, 2011

I was considering applying at ROI (Rapid Outsource Imaging), but I heard they charge their IC MTs $50 per report error.  Are there any ROI MTs out there who could comment on this?  ...

Can't Seem To Get A Response
Apr 01, 2010

I'm just curious if others are in the same boat as I am.  I have almost 10 years experience as an MT, both acute care and clinic, and I have been sending my resume to many of the job postings on this board.  I think I have received two replies out of probably 20 resumes sent.  Is this pretty much the way it is for others, or do I need to tweak my resume?  Thanks! ...

This Is A Response I Sent To An For A RAD IC
May 18, 2010

"You might want to consider re-wording your job posting and re-think your position as you can find yourself in serious trouble with the IRS regarding requiring an independent contractor to work a set schedule.  You are wanting an employee, not an independent contractor, if that contractor has to work a set schedule and 'has to work over.'  The IRS will come down pretty hard on you...especially if someone sends them a copy of your job posting.  So you understand ...

Has Anyone Been Able To Get A Response From DIT?
Nov 09, 2010

Has anyone been able to get a response from DIT?  Please let me know because I certainly have not.  This place is the worst.  What is really terrible is that continue to keep hiring new MTs and promise them that everything is now okay.  They are just a bunch of people not telling the truth. ...

Response To Ads
Sep 21, 2011

Can anyone tell me if they ever get a response when applying for positions?  I never seem to hear back from any of them.   ...

Response To
Mar 19, 2015

Just thought you all would like to read this response to a resume I recently sent out.... and what would your feelings be concerning what you read? Hello, Thank you for your interest in providing Transcription services for our company. I have received your resume. I have put some information in the body of the email as well as attached our templates and sample reports so you can see what the reports look like. I would like to mention to you a few things so you can make an info ...

Anyone Else Have Problems Getting A Response
Feb 05, 2010

I sent to emails and two voice mails, one marked urgent-no response.  Anyone have this issue? ...

Prompt Response
Jun 27, 2010

Does anyone out there have a suggestion as to what a "prompt" response should be for a resume that was sent out? I do not like waiting weeks or months to get a response. ...

Has Anyone Gotten A Response From Oracle??
Oct 06, 2010

They have a job posting that I applied for.  Haven't heard anything back from them.  Has anyone else?  ...

Autotrophic Response?
Jan 06, 2011

"An exercise stress test was performed and she was able to exercise for approximately 8 minutes, utilizing a brief protocol, to a maximum heart rate of 156 per minute.  It was an appropriate (s/l anatropic or maybe autotrophic) response."  I am unsure what word he is dictating here. ...

Response To Resumes
Feb 04, 2011

Yeah for sure.  what goes does it do to send resumes to these jobs posted here, when you get NO response...  I realize they have more resumes than they can probably go through, but when they look at the top of your resume (where it should be) and see you have had over 25 years experience - you think they'd contact you first, yeah whatever.  Not sure, but know MT jobs are scarce!! ...

Allergic Response
Apr 02, 2011

Ibuprofen gives the patient s/l tranaphylaxis. Thanks in advance. ...

How Long Does It Take For A Response From Someone Here
Nov 17, 2011

about wage disputes?  I emailed two days ago about a payment I was supposed to receive the 15th (and still have not), and have not heard about any kind of resolution or anything and of course no pay still and no check in the mail. ...

LDMTS - No Response
Oct 29, 2012

I have sent my resume to Ldmts after checking their job posting but no response. Is there anyone with similar experience? ...

Will Be Interesting To See The Response To This
Nov 02, 2012

About to send off this e-mail to my ROM or whatever she's calling herself these days....Subject:  QA questions, just to be sure I have it straight.... We really, REALLY need to get a ruling from the client on this stuff. In writing.   In the last missive I got from QA, I was told that the only symbol allowed on ***** was the percent sign; thus, if they dictated 2+, I was to type 2 plus.   Aside from the fact that I've been typing plus signs on ***** reports for 4 ye ...