A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Being set up to fail? - So it begins

Posted: Nov 17, 2011

First, I was warned about low line count during a period of many MQ computer problems (finally got new one and now resolved), then audited during that same time period after being warned about line count, which I passed at 99.89%. Then 2 weeks later I start getting a work type I had never done before, like every other job, completely new terms and docs, which normally I do not mind learning new things, but now with the more-than-5%-sent-to-QA nonsense I do not feel comfortable sending blanks to learn because I have to eat and pay bills, thus spending lots of time researching. Okay, then less than a month after the last audit they audit me again and, of course, this time it is done exclusively on the new work type and, of course, I fail. I was close at 98.98%, but still failed. So this week I am being audited again and already at 4 reports I can see I am going to be just under 99% again. So, on top of my line count being low now because of unfamiliar work type and all the researching I have to do, I am failing audits. I have been with MQ for over 10 years, Tier 3, and never had any issues, never failed an audit, and never been on "performance management," etc. I do not consider myself one of the higher paid MTs. Am I being paranoid, or does anyone else think this looks like I am being set up for termination?? This week, after umpteen years in this profession and a few years away from retirement, I am actively seeking non-MT jobs that I can do from home...get them before they get me scenario, and already have 2 possibles lined up. Anyway, thank for listening.

I feel so bad for you. I don't work for MQ but - read the forum SM

[ In Reply To ..]
After all I have read, with so many MTs having the same problems, I would just say I hope you do not internalize any of it. I'm sure you know that, but I wanted to say it anyway. I wish something could be done about what they are doing to people, it makes me so frustrated.

On another note, my daughter is trying to find a work at home job. I was wondering if you have any tips I could pass along to her. She is not an MT but she is good with computers. TIA

Thank you - So it begins

[ In Reply To ..]
It is hard not to internalize it even though I know I am a good MT. They are making it so hard to enjoy this job anymore, especially with taking money away for sending things to QA over a certain percent, making it hard to learn new things. But, every company seems to be doing similar things, so that is why I am leaving the profession I have loved for so many years.

The 2 jobs I have applied for are at-home customer service positions in my local area only requiring high school or GED, good computer and researching skills, good communication skills (all jobs seem to have this requirment, LOL) and your own up-to-date computer. I don't know the pay range, but MT will soon become just another minimum wage job even for experienced MTs so it does not matter in the long run..just have to make it to retirement age in a few years. I just googled at-home jobs in my area and found these job postings, posted just this week.

98/99 - riding the wave

[ In Reply To ..]
Make sure you know that you know the rule is to have 99% but nobody is that perfect. That is only 1% of being perfect. They stress 99% but the will be happy at 98%. I had this clarified during a phone conversation with manager. I was switched to all new accounts due to my account going to EMR a few months back and it has been stressful here to and thus having the audits. Make sure you send work tickets for computer issues, any notes for sound quality to ccm and even work tickets for that if you have to. document everything just to keep you covered if they are auditing you during these times. jot down job numbers on a report and send to ccm if there is tons of static or just quality of dictation not being clear. Also on your new account think of anything you can ask your QA leader of. it will at least they know you are trying. I was audited on the most horrible sounding qualty jobs a few days along with other tech/hardware issues to and failed. If they see you are improving I really do not think they will put you on wpm. Also call your ccm to see if there is anything she can help you with during this time. Just reach out to them to let them know you are concerned. Best of luck to you (and me).

It's sounds like a lot of stress and work unpaid just to keep a crappy job... - Medquist is not worth it..nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

No, told below 99 not acceptable no matter what. - So it begins

[ In Reply To ..]
I have everything documented, but they do not care "rules are rules." As for the computer problems, they are documented but unfortunately I did not clock out the times when only a few minutes here and there lost, and so affected my statistics. I am not one of their "high" producers in their mind anyway.

I have not called to talk to CCM or Quality person to express concern as I don't think it will do any good based on past conversations around production and quality recently.

99 is impossible every time you are audit. - riding the wave

[ In Reply To ..]
I still believe they can pull up any report and give you a failing/passing grade. I do not believe its random. I would keep stressing that nobody is that perfect to get 99% each time. I wish I could help you. I would keep asking what you could do to improve production. We used to receive emails about reaching out to ccm to see how you could improve line count. They do make it impossible just to work. I have been looking elsewhere in the meantime. This last paycut did it for me and now all this much unneeded stress.

My heart bleeds for you - X-MQ

[ In Reply To ..]
When I was recently let go by a company after only 6 hours of training, those are the exact words I used to the corporate people. that I was set up to fail. It beats you so down, you have to remember that it is the arbitrariness of a ruthless company and not you. I wish you the very best (and me too).

To X-MQ and the OP - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
My heart goes out to both of you. I was "done in" by MQ, too. Put nothing past them and start looking for something else. These people are just ruthless.

Set up to be intimidated - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
MQs management style has always been threats, intimidation and punishment. 99% is an arbitrary number they use to intimidate you. They never have and never will have 99% accuracy; they just grade reports to make it look like 99% so they can use that as a marketing tool. Don't take this as gospel but I do not believe that even if you fail your audits by a few points that they will put you on 100% QA. If they did that and you were getting 4 cpl for ASR, you would be lucky to make $1.50 an hour; no one would stay. Also, I do not believe they would be willing to spend the time doing 100% QA on experienced MTs when they have so many newbies who really need it. Again, I could be wrong but keep that in mind.

SAME exact thing happened to me...low production and quite coincidentally audit - which I failed..sm

[ In Reply To ..]
after 20 years as an MT and 8 years with MedQ..suddenly I am being told I cannot transcribe my way out of a paper bag..My confidence really took a hit..and then I remember..I AM GREAT AT MY JOB.and if MedQ wants you gone..you're gone. Plus..I must say I had a GREAT time when I was put on 100% QA to see that people QAing me..sorry to say...did not know what THEY were doing. And some took great glee at tearing apart my reports..it became humorous.

I posted about the 99% audit and the 0.25 points I was dinged for (typing "a" intead of "the"..really??) on a report that was over 200 lines...yeah..the 0.25's added up to guess what..a fail! and the response I got back was holier than thou's who "had no problem with 99% and pass easily." No empathy... I dare say my CCM, and MQ suits do not perform THEIR jobs with 99% accuracy. I am fine with 98%..but for obvious sloppy errors and of course missing medical text and incorrect medical info..OF COURSE...but deducting for commas, and insignificant words is yes...setting us up to fail.

Wow...love to see the indians make 99%. DIscrimination!!! - mqhater

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thank you. I noticed today - So it begins

[ In Reply To ..]
that none of my work has been adudited, but the last 2 days it was and it looks like I may be 99 or above now. The problem is that I have been so depressed and not even caring about my line count this week, but that is my fault. I have applied for a couple non-MT jobs and will leave MT if I get one of these jobs. I don't feel like a professional anymore and I believe when a person loses their passion for the job they should get out, and that is where I am at now.

Thank you for your encouragement

So it begins - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't put anything past MQ. Watch your back. They are treacherous. If MQ were an animal, it would be a viper.

just my point of view.... - Former MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I truly believe that if Q can't starve you out, which is why I left, that they will audit you out. I received 2 pay cuts, loss of some bonuses, and finally my account went away one morning. This was within a space of about a year of being bought out by MQ. I left for when I was offered a better paying non-MT job. My mom always said, quit playing while you're still having fun. I really hung around longer than I should have, but I had loved being an MT, and I still miss being an MT, but with all the crap the Q was pulling, it didn't take me long to see how far in the toilet I was. I hated to give in to their wish to see "old timers" like me gone, but there comes a time when you have to be practical!

absolutely correct about the audits - North MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a good friend that had been in a bad car accident years before and had problems sitting for long stretches of time because of back and neck pain. Medquist wouldn't allow her to break her schedule into less than 2 hour stints and so she was not always compliant with her schedule to MQ standards, but she got in her 40 and always had high line counts. Finally when we went into the lockout or lockdown she went on FMLA to keep her job/benefits while she kept looking for a new job. Did you know they were doing audits on her while she was out! Apparently they can go back 30 days and audit which is exactly what they did. They were doing audits weekly on her at the end and finally they found a batch of reports that dropped her below 98% and terminated her while on FMLA. Then when she tried to fight it at the unemployment office they denied her claim. If MQ wants you gone they will find a way.

consider me gone.... - Former MT

[ In Reply To ..]
If they can't starve you out, they will audit you out. I had high line counts on an account I was so familiar with I could start typing/editing before the dictator spoke. In spite of 2 pay cuts, I still managed to keep my head above water. Looking back now, I wonder WTF was I thinking beating my head on the wall like that. It was pretty obvious they wanted anyone who was making a decent line count GONE. So 2 days after they shipped my account away, I followed suit and went away. Pretty sure if I hadn't quit, they would have found way to be rid of me through some bogus auditing process or whatever. THIS COMPANY IS JUST PLAIN EVIL!!!

Similar Messages:

SR FAIL
Jun 08, 2012

Talking about an area of oozing that was dripping into the surgical site.  Said dripping 3 times. 1.  SR = "gripping" 2.  SR = "creeping" 3.  SR = "draping" Three chances, three air balls. (SR = "hair balls", of course.)       ...

Set Up To Fail?
Feb 04, 2014

As I mentioned earlier I keep getting badgered, first for dropping percentage on FIESA, then for production. One of the things that bothers me, lately I keep getting more and more of those same dictators that I make the most mistakes on. It's almost like they want me to fail? Is that paranoia or just the elephant in the room trying to sit on me and no one notices? I am on an enormous account. I realize they can narrow work down to some degree but with literally 100s of clinics on this ...

VR Fail
Aug 22, 2014

Positive fecal pulses. ...

Ever Feel Like They Just Want You To Fail?
Nov 19, 2010

It just seems like we cannot win with this company. Between the 5% QA, bottom of the barrel dictators, and unrealistic expectations I just want to pull my hair out. ...

I Think I Now Know Why Some Fail MT Test
Apr 13, 2012

I beileve it's when the company advertising closes the hiring process but doesn't let us know.  For fun, I just went to an older ad and went through the testing process.  I KNOW I aced it, but it told me I didn't have the skills necessary.  I also KNOW that the job hiring process was closed, but did it just as an experiment. So those of you who are so hard on yourselves, don't be.  I truly now think it's because the company has closed the hiring proc ...

What Happens If You Fail More Than 1 Audit?
Aug 05, 2013

Last year I failed an audit, barely and was out on 100% QA for 6 weeks after 1 email from TSM and no responses afterwards until suddenly I was off and back to regular work. Later I was transferred to another TSM. Wednesday I got an email that after multiple complaints from a specific doctor, all his reports were 100% QA and my report had failed the audit (barely). Nothing from TSM yet, but I am off Sunday and Monday. I wish I could quit so bad, but can't afford it. If I get fired and apply ...

Ever Feel Like You Are Being Set Up To Fail
Oct 02, 2013

I just cannot seem to get my line count up no matter what I do.  I have an account that I am doing for the UK and it is a struggle.  Being bounced around to a new BOB every 2 months or less does not help. I have got my second warning about my line count, never had this problem before.  Oh well, maybe getting fired is not such a bad thing though. ...

Pass/fail
Oct 21, 2014

Does anyone have a clue about the pass/fail that is in Fiesa today?  Just noticed mine and I suppose it has something to do with the changes rolling out but I couldn't remember if we had received anything about it or not.  Thanks! ...

Epic Fail!
Jan 15, 2015

TSA sent out an e-mail to EVERYBODY that should have gone to the PODmistress. I would've been terminated on the spot.  ...

Pass/fail Tests?
Jul 02, 2010

I know that the tests given by MTSOs are from mttest.com and that they are pass/fail tests. Does anyone know what the passing percentage is? One strike, you're out? How does this work? Thanks. ...

Pass/fail Rates
Mar 10, 2010

Here is a link to the pass/fail rates for AHIMA certification exams.   http://www.ahima.org/certification/documents/2007_2009_CertificationExamPassRates.pdf Please note that even AHIMA itself recommends a minimum of 3 years of hospital coding experience before attempting the CCS exam, and they have good reason for doing so.  The test is very challenging.  Yes, people may pass without that experience, but most will not.  This is not an inexpensive exam, either.  The fig ...

LOSER When You Fail An Audit
Mar 22, 2010

Wow, they sure do make you feel like a LOSER when you fail an audit.  Phone conference scheduled, can anyone tell me what to expect ...

If You Fail The CCS Exam, Do They Tell You What You Did Wrong?
Jul 10, 2012

I haven't taken it, but I'm just wondering. ...

Anyone Else Take The Test For WordMed.Biz And Fail
Jul 17, 2014

Please.   What a crock.  20+ years experience, and I'm referred to a matchbook school. mttest can suck it.   If that's what WordMed.Biz trusts to screen potential employees, then I don't think I'd trust them as an employer.  and their red-hot screaming wage of .07 CPL.   Yeah...  ...

Anybody With Fluency Audio Fail?
Oct 22, 2014

nm ...

II'll Probably Fail The Medquist Test Today Again
Nov 26, 2011

I took the Medquist test again today, but I don't expect the perfection they seem to demand.  I actually got an RLP (real live person) at Medquist to speak to me about testing 2 weeks ago.  She was a little help.  She said they have 1,000 take the test monthly so no wonder they are not interested in any particular transcriptionist.  I suspect, though, that only 20/1000 pass it.  I actually worked for Mx for 7 years part-time, and I love their platform.    ...

One Mistake Made Me Fail An Audit.
Jun 09, 2015

I admit I made a mistake.  I forgot to add a cc.  Never mind that all the other jobs that were audited were 100%.  I am only human but Mmodal does not care.  ...

Just Got An Email From My QC Coah On The Pass/fail Jobs
Dec 09, 2013

I had 2 jobs that were both 100 and then I had a failed job on some account that I have never typed on before ~ foreign doctor.    The errors were marked as noncritical errors.    How can they expect us to be able to type 100 different accounts with perfect quality?   I remember this report that I "failed."  There were no samples to go by.   I guess I will be getting an email from my supervisor shortly about failing a job and making me feel ...

Just Noticed An Ad For Dragon Speak On This Site = FAIL! Or Am I Being Too Sensitive?
Nov 27, 2012

nm ...

Transtech Doesn't Bother To Contact You If You Fail Their Test?
May 14, 2013

Is Transtech one of those companies that doesn't bother to contact you if you fail their test? Or do they eventually let you know one way or the other?  It has been a couple of weeks since I have tested and haven't heard a peep. ...

Even If Nuance Were To Announce A Raise, The Part They Fail To Mention Is That
Nov 04, 2014

Contracts are renegotiated regularly, so even if you were on an account that did not permit offshoring at any point in the past, you will sign in one day and discover WTs missing that you used to type and can watch whole blocks of reports disappear from your queue.  Nuance's survival depends upon this, and they don't care diddly squat about yours. So, dream on...and on...and on about line rates, bonuses being easier to get because of less nitpicking, etc., it isn't going to ...