A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Awful future prospects for India MT career. - Wonder if MM knows this.

Posted: Aug 02, 2013

http://mtherald.com/awful-future-prospects-for-medical-transcription-career-in-india/

Just a tiny little sample of this article.

Medical transcription is not for anyone who dreams about good career progression prospects but for any lazy duck who want to make just a living from home, killing time cursing stars, and repeatedly uttering “There is no better opportunity than this for the time being for my credentials at this age!” Come out of the cocoon and look out for a world of opportunities. All you need is a change in your vision. I’m sorry for having it said harshly but that is the bitter reality.

I hope everyone - reads this.

[ In Reply To ..]
Veddy interesting.

Wow! This part got to me! - About the future of being an MT.

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you think the situation might change in the future?

I donât think things will improve in the future or medical transcription could fetch you enough bread throughout your lifetime. If you look at the past decade, USD/INR exchange ratio has moved from 1:39 to 1:55 now. That hasnât done anything good for an Indian MT due to the various obvious reasons that I mentioned earlier. Moreover, if conditions are favorable and Philippines transcription companies start competing to provide medical transcription services at cheaper rates than India, all of this business could find way to that country or any other attractive destination for that reason. Moreover, as a rarest possibility if there comes a ban onshore on outsourcing confidential healthcare data overseas, which a few US politicians have been vouching for a long time, medical transcription business in India will come to a standstill. Not doomsaying but cannot be ruled out completely.
Okay, I have already forayed to into MT, how to get out of this crap then?

Good question. That is what I intended in my Facebook comment. Change your mindset. On the other side of the India growth story, a million other opportunities have opened up for the deserving. The only difficulty lies in identifying the right shoes to slip in. View your stint in medical transcription as a passing cloud. Improve your credentials. Keep your mind always open for new opportunities. Take a second job. Build multiple income streams. Take Internet to your advantage. Start an online business or rather any business catering to the needs of the society around you. None of you might have had an education to fit into the shoes of a medical transcriptionist, isnât it?

Fortunately, as compared to the US, almost the entire MT workforce has good credentials. So try to find a job in the discipline you earned a degree. Keep moving.

Indian MTs - the only thing worse than..sm

[ In Reply To ..]
listening to Indian dictators all day long is reading Indian MTs act all pompous and butcher the English language. "Lazy duck" is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

You know the old saying: What goes around comes around?" - JA

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't see a "world of opportunities" for any of us any more, though, including them.

At least the - Indians

[ In Reply To ..]
are starting to wise up sooner than we did. I remember being told that MT was a great, recession proof career, and never in a million years would have dreamed it would become the miserable dead-end cesspool it has turned into.

I guess the next step now that Indians are starting to see what a trap this job is is to send the work to English speaking countries in Africa.

ha! I was saying this last night to my husband - about sending work to Africa

[ In Reply To ..]
they will run out of third world countries soon

Much of what he said applies to US MTs as well. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This passage in particular really hit home with me: "You will not get a decent pay compared to the same effort you put elsewhere."

Think about that. Think about how hard you are working, how much EFFORT it takes to get through the day, waiting for jobs, difficult dictators, impossible sound files, crappy pay, the STRESS of it all. Now what if we took all of that energy, all of that effort, and applied it to something else. We could do just about anything!! Now that is something to think about.

I agree. What it all says pretty clearly is - sm - MTBankAccount

[ In Reply To ..]
that, regardless of country (or even industry, for that matter), the common denominator in the destruction of a formerly good means of making a living is GREED. It always comes down to greed, money, and sucking the lifeblood out of the workers that are earning for these companies.

If there were anything fair about this offshoring situation, then if nothing else, even if our jobs were gone, one would think the Indian MTs would be sitting pretty. But, in addition to our middlemen MTSO, then you have to add in THEIR middlemen skimming even more off the MTs wages. When you factor in the same "produce, produce!" mindset, and no cost of living, seniority or merit raises, it's little wonder they're just as ticked off about their situation as we are about ours.

They're right to worry about the Philippines sucking work out of India, it's already happening here, as well. And down the line, if MT even still exists anymore, there is still China to take into consideration, since both the US government and AHDI are bed buddies with China now, too.

I think most underdeveloped or 3rd world countries are fairly used to the 2 societal levels: The haves, and the have-nots, with no middle class. Thanks to "globalization" of American jobs, I think we're well on our way to that type of country, ourselves.

There's nothing wrong with working, nothing wrong with owning a company and making a profit. But I think there's something very wrong with companies being allowed to get SO big, that the start calling the shots in government, bribing government officials, and gobbling each other up, all in the name of becoming even bigger and richer, even if it means many people who are the real workers - the ones who turn the wheels of industry with their own labor - are trampled underfoot and suffer from increasing poverty. The poorer people become, the less of a "voice" they have, as well. It's an ever-growing downward spiral.

I also continue to place a lot of blame on the Stock Market. It encourages bloated overgrowth of companies, and obscene profits to company executives, all in the name of profits for Wall Street's shareholders, so that those running Wall Street also earn obscene profits as well.

Society as a whole would do far better if companies were a little smaller (and thus more manageable, with less clout on Capitol Hill; if the Rich were a little less richer, and everyone else under them were a little bit richer. Then everybody would come out ahead, not just the top 1%.

Similar Messages:

The Future Of Transcription In India? Think We'll Get Our Jobs Back?
Jan 29, 2013

Wouldn't it be great if we got our jobs back?? Hey, I can dream.... ...

Job Prospects?
Jun 27, 2015

I worked as an inpatient coder for 4 years (not certified) about 20 years ago, then worked in transcription for a prestigious hospital that has since outsourced. Recently I did some temp work involving limited audits of basic ICD-9. I've been studying ICD-9 independently for the last 6 months in order to obtain my CCS and get back in the field. I feel solidly refreshed and hope to take the exam next month. Obviously I will need to transition-train to ICD-10 (which I have begun studying inde ...

Pay Now, Coupled With Satisfaction At Your Prospects Even If You Are A New MT
Nov 14, 2009

Please respond those of your who ARE experiencing gratification as you become better and continue  to work and earn.   Am sure there ARE some out there, who are perhaps to busy to check this forum much.  Specially those working at home.  I've looked at charts (***** efforts) showing rates of pay for medical transcription are rising if gradualy.  From what i have seen the outlook for this profession is that it is going to continue to grow gradually, bu ...

Best Job Prospects? Billing Or Coding?
May 29, 2014

As a starving MT, I am going to take the plunge through AAPC to enroll either in their coding or billing program.  I cannot afford both.  Actually, I cannot afford either, but I feel I have to invest in the future away from MT.  I've read the forums at AAPC, and some are saying there are too many credentialed coders and not enough jobs.  I do not know what the job impact will be, if any, once ICD-10 is implemented, if it is implemented, and the need for more coders.  ...

Just Awful
Jul 09, 2012

I have been an MT for many years.  I have worked for Nuance for 9 months.  I was hired to transcribe an account, then moved to another to edit, then moved to another.  I was recently switched from hourly (12.00 an hour, but found out they hired the next group after mine at 15.00 an hour) to production and there IS NO WORK.  I feel like I am stalking my supervisor via IM.  One of the other supervisors recently told me that the goal of Nuance is to eventually offshore all ...

Superior Global - The Pay Was Also Awful
Feb 25, 2010

I've been sending out resumes, and taking tests that must end up in cyberspace, even though I pass them, hear nothing.  Then I hear from Superior Global, passed the test, no problem.  The recruiter calls me, and her dictation is awful, and her command of the English language equally as poor.  I thanked her, and said I'd think about it.  However, that first impression left me less than luke warm.  The recruiter above all people in the company should excel in communication skills, a ...

Awful Dictators Flock Together?
Sep 18, 2010

In a helper pool and doing a certain large chain of hospitals that is spread over many states.  Tell me, how is it possible that every dictator in this chain, whether it is on the west coast, east coast, or in between, are the worst I have ever encountered?  Does this chain advertise:  Can't speak English?  Inaudible?  Can't feel your tongue?  You're hired! What makes it worse is that the reports are all progress notes and take me forever for a tiny ...

ILP Work Is Frighteningly Awful
Jan 27, 2012

Okay, just finished a child abuse report/examination that was edited (ASR) by one of our wonderful ILPs.  This was a fill-in-the-blank only report and not a 100% review.  However, there was a glaring error that caught my eye, so I decided to do a full review.  I found 36!! errors, nearly half were definitely critical, and I'm not the type to get picky about commas and such.  At first I thought that they must have sent it by accident without editing it as it was really th ...

Horrible, Awful, AARGH!!
Apr 10, 2012

Here's a good one for the day. Just got hold of an Asian dictator, who proceeded to whisper and mumble through the whole dictation, with another American dictator standing right next to her dictating. Can you take a guess which doctor I understood more clearly? I'm sooooo sick of this screwed up mess!!!!! ...

Vent: I Can't Believe How Awful These Dictators
Jun 15, 2012

are, how horrible the sound quality is to say nothing about the terrible ASR. Just working for pennies today. Need to find another job! ...

Break On Awful Dictators
Jun 22, 2013

To bad we don't get a break with the awful dictators. When you get those your line count goes down, and you are dinged for that. Really sucks when your line count for the week is above the minimum but all there is to do in the que are the hard to hear....now line count is below minimum :( ...

Stentel An Awful Company!!!
May 01, 2015

I just need to vent.  I have worked for this company for 7 years and can't believe how terrible they treat their ICs.  I thought they were a decent place to work but they have now shown otherwise.  I have worked under 3 other account managers and never had any problems.  Then, I get moved to my current manager and instead of getting paid more, I go from 0.07 cpl to 0.06 cpl, and this manager cannot be satisfied.  Oh, it doesn't matter if I do good quality work, ...

We Should Make India Do All The Transcription - See How That Works For Ya,India.
Nov 06, 2010

Everybody leave Medquist....go get other work -- working at McDonald's pays more and has better benefits - at least you get to eat. And see how well India does all the transcription -- they can't do it -- we do the hard work and they get the cream.  We are sitting her dying with their bad machines and bad dictators. Let them have it -- they will corode. ...

I Try To Stay Positive, But Every Time I Get One Of These Awful VR Reports Sm
Jun 08, 2014

I hate Synernet more and more. I know that I have to accept VR, but WHY do I have to be forced to use such a cruddy bunch of software. It doesn't learn anything. I have had to practically re-type the whole report and then get the "honor" of only being paid 4 cpl for it. If the higher ups were forced to endure this, I would bet some changes would be made fast, quick, and in a hurry. ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

The Future Of MT
Nov 25, 2009

Many have said that MT is not what it once was. Here's a topic: What is/could be the future of medical transcirption?   Diane   ...

MT's Future?
Feb 20, 2010

I was told not to enter the medical transcription field because it was not going to exist in about five or six years. Is this true? I really want a job that is professional and allows me to work at home as well. Thanks ...

The Future Of MT.
Sep 26, 2012

Wondering what thoughts are on this article.  I believe MT is changing but is not a dying profession.  ...

Future Of MTs
Jun 06, 2013

Iâve been doing more research into the future of the MT field and I find that it is morphing into something I do not want to be a part of. Are EMR/EHR really cutting down transcription costs/jobs? If you goggle this you will find a huge disparity of opinion from âgoal being to have no transcriptionists whatsoeverâ at one extreme to âall this new fangled stuff is just some new toys for the kids to play withâ being at the other. Some are on the fence and some are crying itâs a ...

The Future Of MTs - Is There One?
Jan 18, 2014

I am a former MT who is going to school for Health Informatics.  I worked as a transcriptionist for over 20 years.  Two and a half years ago our team was told the organization we worked for was going to voice recognition and our jobs were being phased out which is when I chose to go back to school.  I am writing my final paper on “The Future of Medical Transcription – Is There One?”   I would like to get information from other transcriptionists on this ...

The Future
Mar 19, 2014

Hello to everyone on MTStars. I've been reading all these posts for weeks.  My hospital announced in Jan. that we would get laid off in July b/c they had decided to go with M*Modal.  After everything I have read here you could not beat me with a stick to apply for M*Modal; even though that is what they wanted us to do.  I've come to terms with it.  I am at peace.  I have been transcribing for 16 years, and have made EXCELLENT money, $25-30/hour. If this is the ...

Future Net - Anybody Still There?
May 08, 2014

Anybody still there?  After months of shoving MModal down our throats they just sent an email out on how to fix the spellchecker in the program!  Do you think that should have been done before forcing this on MTs?  Looks like there is no turning back, they are just forcing the issue and you can either make less than minimum wage, WAY less, or take a hike as many of us have been told.  A ton of work in regular SR every day because looks like everyone is in fact leaving but at the same time, m ...

Is This The Future?
May 20, 2014

I am beginning to think that the future with VR and point-and-click plus offshoring means that the work that is remaining will be just a little bit from a bunch of different accounts, meaning we have to navigate through a bunch of different account specs for those MTs left.  My old account went completely offshore, the new account I was transferred to went completely over to Epic and my new assignment has me with 3 accounts and the work is dried up so I will have to ask for more.  The ...

Future
Nov 02, 2014

Recently, I  saw several posts about TSMs being let go, about other things that are changing in the different regions.   Will that be happening across the board I wonder?  Are these changes in place right now?   Thank you for your input. ...

Future Of MT
Mar 25, 2015

Well, just saw a report on my local news that one of the hospitals in my area is trying out the Dragon Medical voice/rec system, where they are doing it directly at the hospital right into the medical record.  Allegedly it is just a pilot program, but it showed the doctor looking at a computer screen and dictating into the machine, and the text would appear directly on the computer.  Then he can read what he said and put it directly into the chart.  Then any doctor in the hospital ...

Is There Really A Future For MT Work?
Feb 03, 2010

I don't mean to start a downer post here, but I sincerely want to know if there is a future for MT work. I see posts by a few who have succeeded, at least somewhat, in the MT world.  However, these are very few.  Then there are those who were happy just to find a job, but a few months later, were let go because of no work.  There are some whom I know to be conscientious workers who were fired out of the blue.  Could this just be the company losing accounts and placing t ...

Future Job Outlook
Feb 09, 2010

I'm currently an MT, wanting to change careers.  In your opinion, what are the chances of coding going the way of MT with outsourcing to foreign countries and/or technology cutting back the number or coders needed? Any opinions would be appreciated.  I'm thinking about starting classes. ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

TransTech In My Future?
Feb 09, 2011

I'm on the fence and need some advice.  I would like to make a move and I've applied to TransTech, but I think I might want to apply for an in-house position versus at-home position.  I have friends who work at TransTech,  but they are at-home MTs and they don't know how TransTech in-house MTs are set up or even how many there are.  Are there any in-house MTs for TransTech who could tell me why they chose the in-house versus at-home position?  Other than ...

EMR And The Future Of Transcription
Jul 27, 2011

With the president's health care reform he is giving incentives to doctors to switch to EMR.  From what I understand, if doctors have not switched over to EMR by 2014 they will be taxed.  What is the future of our business with this policy?  Especially the big transcription companies like Transcend? ...