A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Job Prospects? - MT2Coder

Posted: Jun 27, 2015

I worked as an inpatient coder for 4 years (not certified) about 20 years ago, then worked in transcription for a prestigious hospital that has since outsourced. Recently I did some temp work involving limited audits of basic ICD-9. I've been studying ICD-9 independently for the last 6 months in order to obtain my CCS and get back in the field. I feel solidly refreshed and hope to take the exam next month. Obviously I will need to transition-train to ICD-10 (which I have begun studying independently). If I do obtain my CCS, how do you feel my employment prospects look since it's been so long since I've had an inpatient coding job and would only be ICD-9-proficient at this stage? Thanks for any input.

Your prospects will be the same as any new coder, - but with some experience.

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have the CCS, your prospects will be the same as any new coder with a CCS, which is not bad. Some employers will consider the experience, even if it is ancient. Federal jobs usually require credentials and experience, and they will have to give you credit for those four years.

You will need to learn ICD-10-CM and PCS right away because you are unlikely to get a job without it. I would suggest taking the AHIMA ICD-10 transition courses so you have proof. Most facilities are already dual coding, so you will need this NOW, not later. Do it before applying--you do not want to be in the boat with both dodgy experience and no ICD-10. Being ICD-10 ready should overcome the experience issue.

Similar Messages:

Pay Now, Coupled With Satisfaction At Your Prospects Even If You Are A New MT
Nov 14, 2009

Please respond those of your who ARE experiencing gratification as you become better and continue  to work and earn.   Am sure there ARE some out there, who are perhaps to busy to check this forum much.  Specially those working at home.  I've looked at charts (***** efforts) showing rates of pay for medical transcription are rising if gradualy.  From what i have seen the outlook for this profession is that it is going to continue to grow gradually, bu ...

Best Job Prospects? Billing Or Coding?
May 29, 2014

As a starving MT, I am going to take the plunge through AAPC to enroll either in their coding or billing program.  I cannot afford both.  Actually, I cannot afford either, but I feel I have to invest in the future away from MT.  I've read the forums at AAPC, and some are saying there are too many credentialed coders and not enough jobs.  I do not know what the job impact will be, if any, once ICD-10 is implemented, if it is implemented, and the need for more coders.  ...

Awful Future Prospects For India MT Career.
Aug 02, 2013

http://mtherald.com/awful-future-prospects-for-medical-transcription-career-in-india/ Just a tiny little sample of this article. Medical transcription is not for anyone who dreams about good career progression prospects but for any lazy duck who want to make just a living from home, killing time cursing stars, and repeatedly uttering “There is no better opportunity than this for the time being for my credentials at this age!” Come out of the cocoon and look out for a world of ...