A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just awful - CatLady

Posted: Jul 09, 2012

I have been an MT for many years.  I have worked for Nuance for 9 months.  I was hired to transcribe an account, then moved to another to edit, then moved to another.  I was recently switched from hourly (12.00 an hour, but found out they hired the next group after mine at 15.00 an hour) to production and there IS NO WORK.  I feel like I am stalking my supervisor via IM.  One of the other supervisors recently told me that the goal of Nuance is to eventually offshore all editing to India and that while she was very upset about it, there was nothing anyone could do.  Why are they still hiring?  What is the point?  Everyone is very nice, but they are full of empty promises.  What a disappointing experience. 

I had not heard that, thanks for the intel. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the heads up. I am not surprised the ultimate goal is to send it all to India. I suppose that is why QA is so incredibly harsh, make us feel like losers that couldn't get by anywhere else and then dump us when they are through using us.

Time to jump ship.

All editing to India, after WE trained it. - tmt

[ In Reply To ..]
That's just sickening. But of course, it means that American MTs will continue to get the worst VR garbage, in order to train it so that it can be sent to India.

I guess we're not MTs anymore; we're VR trainers, and then unemployed.

I wish this misconception of training VR was not here, - VR is trained by voice, sm

[ In Reply To ..]
all of you who seem to think that by putting in a correction, this has trained the VR, need to wise up. The VR does not learn the correction unless you put it back through with the voice. So unless this is being done, the VR is not being trained at all. Voice recognition pulls from its dictionary the words it thinks it is hearing, not the words someone typed. That's why it is called voice recognition. Speak, correct, speak correct, speak correct. This is the way to train VR. VR has no idea you are correcting a word unless put back through the voice recognition part of the program with the correction. This is why so many of you blaming others for not making the right corrections need to get a clue.

You are incorrect. When corrections are made and document returned - as it goes through rendering it

[ In Reply To ..]
compares those corrections to original (yes with voice) and "learns." At least that is the way it is supposed to work. Some dictators "learn" faster than others.
I highly doubt the MTSOs are taking the time to put a document - back through the VR to learn, sm
[ In Reply To ..]
besides this can take more than 1 time of putting the correction through the VR again and again and again. Is anyone monitoring this. Should be the person speaking monitoring this. Training the VR takes time and it should be the person dictating that is training the VR, not the person editing it. Besides, you basically said the same thing I did. It learns with voice!
When it renders, it goes back through the system and - compares corrected text to voice. Automated
[ In Reply To ..]
function.

Why would they do that, tho? There's the time of day issue, and - pay has already dropped spectacularly SM

[ In Reply To ..]
here. Plus, between editing India's medical documents and ours, would there be half enough editors there? It's a huge country, but most are illiterate and we're a huge country too. Besides the usual issues, apparently a significant number of Indian MT/MEs do this work only while they have to before moving on to the positions they went to college for.

The only factor I see maybe supporting this would be if pay has dropped so low here that skilled people leaving the field are outnumbering newbies entering, forcing them to raise pay (?!) and/or look elsewhere.

serious question - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
QUOTE FROM YOUR POST:
"...significant number of Indian MT/MEs do this work only while they have to before moving on to the positions they went to college for."

How do you know this? I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'd really like to know.

Thanks.

Des, over the past handful of years, I've read that - in various publications discussing outsourcing. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
At least in the first years, a lot of the people best qualified to do this relatively well paying work had picked up their medical terminology from classes while working toward degrees or had finished and were just waiting for the right job to turn up.

That said, I haven't looked lately, but I'm kind of assuming there are now a bunch of trade schools busy churning out people who intend to remain at a clerical level, plus, of course, MTSOs busy training on the job. Like here.

Just Awful - mt20years

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel your pain. This has been the worst job of my life, including fast food when I was a teenager. Been with Nuance for nearly 9 months and I have never been so disappointed with my QA score, line count, paycheck, supervisor, basically everything about this company. Nuance has made me feel like my many years of experience mean nothing to them. My paycheck keeps getting smaller and smaller. QA is impossible to attain. I have been graded up to 100% on my old jobs. How can this be? If I can't make the so-called incentive, how are the Indians going to?

which is why I quit. I hate Nuance. - mt

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Superior Global - The Pay Was Also Awful
Feb 25, 2010

I've been sending out resumes, and taking tests that must end up in cyberspace, even though I pass them, hear nothing.  Then I hear from Superior Global, passed the test, no problem.  The recruiter calls me, and her dictation is awful, and her command of the English language equally as poor.  I thanked her, and said I'd think about it.  However, that first impression left me less than luke warm.  The recruiter above all people in the company should excel in communication skills, a ...

Awful Dictators Flock Together?
Sep 18, 2010

In a helper pool and doing a certain large chain of hospitals that is spread over many states.  Tell me, how is it possible that every dictator in this chain, whether it is on the west coast, east coast, or in between, are the worst I have ever encountered?  Does this chain advertise:  Can't speak English?  Inaudible?  Can't feel your tongue?  You're hired! What makes it worse is that the reports are all progress notes and take me forever for a tiny ...

ILP Work Is Frighteningly Awful
Jan 27, 2012

Okay, just finished a child abuse report/examination that was edited (ASR) by one of our wonderful ILPs.  This was a fill-in-the-blank only report and not a 100% review.  However, there was a glaring error that caught my eye, so I decided to do a full review.  I found 36!! errors, nearly half were definitely critical, and I'm not the type to get picky about commas and such.  At first I thought that they must have sent it by accident without editing it as it was really th ...

Horrible, Awful, AARGH!!
Apr 10, 2012

Here's a good one for the day. Just got hold of an Asian dictator, who proceeded to whisper and mumble through the whole dictation, with another American dictator standing right next to her dictating. Can you take a guess which doctor I understood more clearly? I'm sooooo sick of this screwed up mess!!!!! ...

Vent: I Can't Believe How Awful These Dictators
Jun 15, 2012

are, how horrible the sound quality is to say nothing about the terrible ASR. Just working for pennies today. Need to find another job! ...

Break On Awful Dictators
Jun 22, 2013

To bad we don't get a break with the awful dictators. When you get those your line count goes down, and you are dinged for that. Really sucks when your line count for the week is above the minimum but all there is to do in the que are the hard to hear....now line count is below minimum :( ...

Stentel An Awful Company!!!
May 01, 2015

I just need to vent.  I have worked for this company for 7 years and can't believe how terrible they treat their ICs.  I thought they were a decent place to work but they have now shown otherwise.  I have worked under 3 other account managers and never had any problems.  Then, I get moved to my current manager and instead of getting paid more, I go from 0.07 cpl to 0.06 cpl, and this manager cannot be satisfied.  Oh, it doesn't matter if I do good quality work, ...

Awful Future Prospects For India MT Career.
Aug 02, 2013

http://mtherald.com/awful-future-prospects-for-medical-transcription-career-in-india/ Just a tiny little sample of this article. Medical transcription is not for anyone who dreams about good career progression prospects but for any lazy duck who want to make just a living from home, killing time cursing stars, and repeatedly uttering “There is no better opportunity than this for the time being for my credentials at this age!” Come out of the cocoon and look out for a world of ...

I Try To Stay Positive, But Every Time I Get One Of These Awful VR Reports Sm
Jun 08, 2014

I hate Synernet more and more. I know that I have to accept VR, but WHY do I have to be forced to use such a cruddy bunch of software. It doesn't learn anything. I have had to practically re-type the whole report and then get the "honor" of only being paid 4 cpl for it. If the higher ups were forced to endure this, I would bet some changes would be made fast, quick, and in a hurry. ...