A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

why do you suppose dictators just continuously mumble? - sm

Posted: Aug 24, 2013

One of the doctors on my VR account, just mumbles his ENTIRE report every single time.  I mean, why would he do this when he KNOWS someone is having to transcribe it?  Perhaps he doesn't understand the concept of VR and doesn't realize that I receive this report full of complete nonsense, but even if he didn't, if you are SPEAKING and KNOWING that you expect a report out of this, why would you mumble the entire report?  It feels to me like a lack of disrespect, but perhaps everything isn't about ME, I get that.  Just irritates the living you know what out of me.

Oh and one more thing - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
You know how you feel you can't understand a dictator then you get to look at an old report and once you realize what he said, it becomes clear to you? Well, with him, I can't even do that! I was told to look at old reports and even SEEING clearly what he says in physical exam, I can't HEAR that. When I blank it I'm told to get it from the previous report, but I don't even feel comfortable doing that, because I honestly don't even hear that. If it turns out that he decided to change up his PE for some reason, it is me that has all kinds of wrong text in there and me that will be in trouble.

Totally agree...s/m - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
I was just gonna post on here about doctors' mispronunciations that are like nails on a chalkboard. LOL

I have a few docs that just irritate the you-know-what out of me too. One says "chex" for chest, another says "angelic" for antalgic, and another says "lymph a dee nee op athee" or lymphadenopathy. Where do all these extra letters/syllables come from? That's not the way I learned it in my medical terminology class. In a perfect world, the "bad" dictators should have to transcribe their own report and then see how they like it. Oh and make sure the report is dictated in the ER with a baby crying and machines running while chewing on hard candy!

Some days I tell ya.

They probably wouldn't be able to. - Mom22dogs

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually asked a physician to come over and listen to some of his dictation that I couldn't understand, and he said HE didn't remember what he said and could not understand HIMSELF. He said "just put......".
"Just put..." ??? Wow. - NJMT
[ In Reply To ..]
That's explains it in a nutshell. The word "just," which in this context suggests to me he puts no value on that medical record, tells me exactly how much importance that physician places on the whole process.

Because their mama never taught them to properly speak - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

My feeling is that - despite

[ In Reply To ..]
the high opinions we may have of ourselves or MT work in general, the dictators consider it as a tedious chore and barely worth the bother, otherwise someone would express to them from day one the need to do it as correctly as they do anything else to avoid getting sued, but apparently this happens very rarely.

I don't care what they think of an MT - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When speaking to ANYONE it is common courtesy to speak CLEARLY. Even if they consider us just "clerks" or "typists" they should STILL want their reports done accurately and care enough to get that job done.
About mumblers, get this - LM
[ In Reply To ..]
Years ago I worked inhouse at a hospital. Then I did extra work on the side for various physicians. One doctor, never forget, was horrible dictating, mumbling, got his numbers all wrong when trying to number something. I changed them until the day he said "d.... it, leave my numbers like I dictate them" and from then on so be it. Anyway, I worked in an office parttime where other physicians were including him. One day I heard him talking to a bank fellow and he was clear as crystal water when he was speaking about his money. I don't think most care and we all have basically the same kind of dictators. Very rude.
About mumblers - Sammie
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, and if we leave numbers or anything else wrong they say and we correct it, we get dinged, even though they want us to "lightly edit" and stay verbatim!

They do it because ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They mumble because they speak that way all the time; because they have speech defects; because they are in public areas, cannot go elsewhere, and are trying to speak softly; because that is how they learned and think it is the way to do it; and because they are exhausted.

It isn't because they don't respect you. In fact, many of them are completely unaware that you are a person ... they think you are VR. The ones who do know you are a person believe you CAN understand them because somewhere, sometime some MT did understand them.

Boredom - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
The chore of dictation does not provide the intellectual stimulus they got into this line of work for. What really irritates me is the total disregard for patient care when they slur through medications. Since there could always be a new medication called rituximatamab, we have to search through clinical trial trying to find it when it was just a sloppy mispronunciation. Equally as irritating and time consuming are the ones who hum their ROS and PEs. We cannot morally or ethically just type what they usually say, and protecting the patient's wellbeing falls on the ones NOT paid to do it.

So true, I don't think they care.. - Sunn

[ In Reply To ..]
since they aren't the ones that have to listen and transcribe it, yet they expect perfect reports from us. I'm sure when the doctors do their own editing on VR, they don't mumble throughout the reports.

Our job isn't to guess. - sunn

[ In Reply To ..]
Looking at the previous report doesn't mean you actually hear that's what's being said. Otherwise, the doctor should just create a normal and request that we type in the normal. I was trained to "never guess" and that's what I feel I'm doing if I just go by past reports.

American Mumblers - are worse than

[ In Reply To ..]
most ESL dictators IMO.

My 88-year-old dad just dumped one of his doctors (American MD - no accent) because he was mumbling and speaking so low, even knowing very well that my dad has a hearing problem. Both my dad and mom told this doctor several times in the office that they couldn't understand what he was telling them, couldn't hear him, that he was speaking too fast for them to get it, etc, but he refused to slow down and speak up - so they found another doctor. Serves him right!

I know doctors have been sued successfully for their scribbled handwriting, prescriptions, etc, where the patient died because their sloppiness, but never heard of them being sued over their dictation - unfortunately. :(

Similar Messages:

I Really Don't Think It's Just To Continuously Hire MTs
Nov 26, 2012

as employees, yet the MTs are still on production instead of hourly, and the new hires never get any work to do.  If they do get any work, it's not enough to live on.  They want you to sit there until they have enough "extra" for you to do?? How is that right?  There must be some kind of fraud or something legally that I don't know about that can take these companies to task for doing this to people.  I'm tired of being treated this way, starving all the way t ...

Oh Please, Could You Mumble Any
Dec 29, 2014

I was actually able to hear a little bit of this dictation. My parting shot, when I retire. ...

Gee Doc...can You Mumble Any Faster?
Dec 17, 2012

Im used to this once in a while,,but the majority of them are doing it today,,,or Im going deaf.. ...

Lousy Dictators - Crappy, Hard To Understand Dictators, Both ESL And English-speaking
May 17, 2014

Today I will make less than half of what I normally get because all I've gotten today are crappy, hard to understand dictators, both ESL and English-speaking.  Seems like all I get lately are the hard to understand, mush-mouth dictators.  Guess Nuance doesn't want their MTs making quota.  Sorry.  I just had to vent. ...

What Do You Suppose
Jan 04, 2013

When all these US MTSOs are hit by their clients with the demand that no work be outsourced off shore? If the trend in lawsuits continues, that could easily happen. along with that, what do you think will happen when the problems with EMR systems that don't include transcribed reports but only documents produced by the medical providers with point and click and fill in the blanks lead to law suits and illegal insurance claims? ...

Do You Suppose - Sm
Aug 15, 2013

there's  a way they can default any job over an arbitrary length, say 1 minute 30 seconds overseas or something to make sure it gets done at a cheaper rate?  I keep seeing these jobs come up and if everybody got their default ebxtx autolevel max reset at 2 jobs like I was told when they did the last updates, why do ALL the jobs longer than that pop up and then out when I'm autoloading? And there was an 11-minute job down the line that is now gone and I see at least 3 jobs tha ...

To The Ex-POC - - Do You Suppose....?
Apr 06, 2015

... all the latest meddling with the pooling, plus the ongoing pay "reformulations" (cuts), are part of an ongoing scheme to finally drive US MTs out of the market altogether, so they can continue to whine that they would LIKE to hire American MTs but there just aren't any left? Or are they really THAT stupid that they think they can do all these things to destroy employee morale without driving away the few real quality employees that are still hanging in there? Stupidity, or a nefa ...

401 K Info Out, Better Than Nothing I Suppose
Mar 12, 2012

Ooh.  They are going to match 25% for the first 4%.  I realize that they took the match away years ago and right now anything is better than nothing, but really big V this is the best you can come up with?  Most companies at a minimum match 100% up to 3% and some match 100% up to 6% or more.  After that major letdown with the 401K he wants us to get excited about the benefits package in July?  If it is as huge a disappointment as the 401K he will not retain or ...

What Do You Suppose Happened....
Jun 24, 2013

Suppose I Should Have Known Better Than To Post Here
Dec 22, 2014

and expect anything even resembling understanding and kindness.  Shame on you all!!  And at Christmas, too!! ...

Do You Suppose MTs Will Flock To Write An Essay Just Like
Mar 23, 2010

MTs flocked to become MMEs? I'm sure they'd ding the essays for grammar too, if anyone on corporate staff could actually write correctly themselves. ...

I Suppose This Means Training On EMR For Doctors, Nurses, PAs Etc...
Feb 12, 2010

Obama Administration to Announce  $975 Million in Health Grants  Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- The Obama administration today will announce $975 million in government grants to expand the use of technology in the health-care industry and train medical professionals to use new systems. The spending, part of the $862 billion economic stimulus legislation passed a year ago, will expand technology use at more than 100,000 hospitals, according to an administration official speaking on the c ...

Is "Neosporin" Suppose To Be All Caps? Nm
Mar 29, 2011

nm ...

ARRRGGGGGHH! I Love Resident Dictators. I Love Resident Dictators. I Love Resident Dictators.
Jun 19, 2010

A new ESL dictating a DS. Can't speed him up because he's too "new" (to this country?). He is spelling every other word!!!!!! AND then spells it again - extubated, e-x-t-u-b-a-t-e-d, extubated e for elephant, x for crosses, t for tom, u for umbrella, b for .......... get the picture (sigh)? On top of that, the report is 28 minutes long!!! Should never have gotten out of bed this morning. LOL I do feel bad for him that he doesn't realize he doesn't have to spell every other ...

ESL Dictators
Feb 08, 2010

Hey folks, I recently got put on an ESL, primarily Spanish, account at KeyStrokes.  I'm having a very hard time with these dictations.  Can anybody give me some tips for better skills understanding this accent?   I've been doing ESL dictators of Indian and Asian accents without really any problems at all.  However, these Hispanic ones are really giving me problems.  Thanks.    ...

How Many Of You Have Dictators That
Feb 10, 2010

just with the sound of their voice, can turn your day to yuck? There are 2 docs on one of my accounts who literally make me cringe when I hear their voices.  Like nails on a chalkboard or something.  I cannot stand listening to them!  Unfortunately, they always have very looooong reports.  I keep expecting my ears to start bleeding one of these days! ...

Do Dictators Know What ASR IS???
Mar 17, 2010

Can you imagine getting an ASR report where the dictator says "please put number one please please please put number one, please put number five, please please please put number five.."  all the while I am having to edit out all these infernal "pleases" and wonder just what kind of idiot this is.  Sheesh! ...

Bad Dictators
Jun 06, 2012

Anyone ever suspect that accounts we do have in-house transcriptionists and they outsource their worst dictators to services? ...

Resident Dictators
Oct 14, 2009

I have a female resident dictating radiology who tries to break the speed barrier, she sniffs before every sentence, and constantly makes these noises in her throat.  She DRIVES ME CRAZY.  My rant for the day. ...

Idiot Dictators.
Nov 04, 2009

I truly, truly wish these idiots who call themselves physicians had to listen to and transcribe their own dictations.  I am so frustrated right now I could just about pull my hair out.  Being a greeter at Wal-Mart is looking very enticing right now.  ...

Pay For 1 MME Shift With 90% ESL Dictators
Dec 20, 2009

About 1/3 of those 100% QA reports were done by ILPs.  Total average earnings per hour:  a little over 4 $, but  I will be paid at my state's minimum wage.  Before my in-house hospital job was outsourced to an MTSO that kept the work in the country for 2 years and then sent it to India, I was being paid 19 $ an hour and also had great benefits and PTO.   When did this "profession" turn into a minimum wage job ?  (actually, half of minimum wage if ...

DSG Seems To Have The WORST Dictators
Mar 26, 2010

I have been an MT for over 20 years and have worked at a few different companies.  I am currently with DSG, and I just have to say, DSG seems to have the WORST dictators of any company that I have worked for.  I work on 5 different accounts for them and it is all the same.  Any other DSG'ers out there that are experiencing the same thing?  I don't recall being told when I was hired that I would be typing 98% ESL.  Beware if you are thinking of working here!    ...

Bad Dictators Very Frustrating
Apr 28, 2010

I have 6 years of experience and just started a new job doing straight transcription.  I'm convinced that I'm getting all of dictators that they can't run through their VR because they are so bad.  I'm lucky to make $5.00/hr.  Very frustrating.  Need to give my notice.  Anybody else have this experience?  Sorry, I just needed to vent. ...

Dictators CHEWING
Sep 05, 2010

Wish there was a board doctors could read for complaints.  How I hate when they chew in my ear!  The absolute worst is this one now who is clearing his throat like a HORSE after every sentence and snuffling all his "thick yellow-to-green secretions" while he dictates!  Rude or what?  He should have specialized in pathology!    ...

Dictators Who Think We're Dum-dums
Dec 28, 2010

One of these days where I'm working but don't really feel much like it.  Restless, surfing the net, laughing at the dictators.  Had one who rattled off bizarre medical terms while eating, so I had to leave numerous blanks, and then the next one spent a good deal of time trying to explain to the dumb MT how to type "b.i.d."  (that's BEE, EYE, DEE - oh, all in little letters - I mean, a little BEE, then a period, a little EYE, then a period, a little DEE, then a perio ...

Keystrokes Dictators Sm
Jan 18, 2011

Would someone from Keystrokes email me as to how bad the ESL docs are?  I have been offered a job but told it is mostly ESLs and I don't mind them but if they are really bad dictators, I think I will pass.  Thanks! ...

Instructions To Dictators O P E N Y O U R M O U T H A N D
Mar 09, 2011

t a l k.  it    would    make   my   life  much   easier   if   you    would  talk  normally and  not  like   you  are  either  a racehorserunninginthekentuckyderby or   the  tortoise  racing  the  hare  and    that     we   d   o   n  o  t ...

Procrastinating Dictators And TAT
May 21, 2011

It really annoys me when some providers wait weeks, or months, to do their dictation, and then all of a sudden they're stats, even though the patient won't be back for weeks or months, or prn. Or the ones who make every progress note a stat, and bump the really important jobs down the line. It just grinds my gears. ...

Dictators Not Weighed
Sep 03, 2011

I work for a hospital that is going to production based pay using editscript and not weighing the doctors. There are some transcriptions who cannot type all work types and can only do easy dictations so they make more than the ones who have the skills and knowledge who do the harder dictations. Any I idea of how I can address this with my supervisor? ...

Dictators Who Eat During Dictation
Dec 14, 2011

This really bugs me, and I usually don't mention anything about it, but I am doing a report by a PA, and she is just crunching away while dictating, and can hardly talk while she is eating.  She is eating like her life depends upon it, and this is totally rude and obnoxious.  I have heard it all though, and there is not 1 MT I have known that hasn't experienced this.  They eat, go to the bathroom, have children in the background that they don't try to keep quiet, do ...