A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Line counts - 38 minutes of dictation per hour but only ended up with 160 LPH? - Perplexed

Posted: Dec 09, 2011

I have been struggling to reach my line counts at a certain company for a while now. I thought it was me. I've been working really hard to get faster and use more shortcuts, etc. I just looked at my stats and I did 38 minutes of dictation per hour but only ended up with 160 LPH? How is that even possible? I haven't had any dictations today with a lot of dead air or anything like that. I've done 200+ minutes of dictation today and have 1400 lines to show for it. I'm just wondering if others think that there is something fishy going on or if I am just going crazy, which is possible!

Sounds fishy to me - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Usually, if I need to estimate, the rule is 1 minute of dictation = 10 lines for normal speed dictators who take few pauses (this goes up for speed talkers and down for those who take longer pauses or dictation with dead air). So, that 38 minutes of dictation should equal somewhere around the area of 380 lines... give or take.

Sounds to me that maybe you're not being paid for spaces?

Try doing a line count in Word and compare it with what you're being credited with according to your company. The discrepancy you stated sounds a little too off for something to not be up. There would have to be a lot of dead air for 38 minutes to only equal 160 lines.

I agree - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I just typed 45 minutes of dictation, great clear doctor, but my line count was 489.

Make someone explain to you in detail how your lines - are figured. Make them SHOW you

[ In Reply To ..]
a document and explain what is paid on that document, do a line count and explain how they calculate your pay. Ask to see a job that has already been calculated so you can see how they reached the final figure. In Docuscribe, you can pull up individual jobs and see exactly how the count was figured. Be suspicious, "think" you are being ripped off, none of that matters unless you KNOW how your lines are calculated. You deserve to know how you are paid and I would think any honest MTSO would be happy to explain how your lines are figured.

Where I work we're not longer paid for headings. - American MT

[ In Reply To ..]
We type them but are no longer paid for them. They're not considered in the line count. What a joke!

Agree, but to know if you are being cheated, need to do - c&p into work document, do SM

[ In Reply To ..]
character count divided by what makes up a line for you and then compare that to what the MTSO says the lines are on that document. If the 2 counts arent the same, have MTSO explain the difference. One cant hint they are being cheated if they are not going to take the time and effort to find out if that is true or not.
Of course this works much better if you c&p into - a WORD document.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Line Counts - Mike
[ In Reply To ..]
count your lines. know what exactly you are being and not being paid for.

I think it's happening where I work. I type all day - and then look at my counts, -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and they're miserable. Even with VR, which they *claim* is supposed to be so much faster than straight typing. Some of the doctors they have on VR have no business even being on it; it takes longer to correct the VR than it would have to just type the stupid report.

Also, now there are certain lines they don't pay for even though we type them! They don't pay for paragraph headings, and recently stopped paying for spaces.

I'm just wondering when they're going to start billing us for the *privilege* of working for them.

Dont "think", KNOW. Take the time to find out. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Perplexed - Lucy

[ In Reply To ..]
I just worked for a company where I had the same experience but they had their system fixed to where you could not C&P into a word document to count the lines. I nearly typed by fingers to the bone and did not even 100 LPH. If you pulled 200+ minutes my guess you are not getting paid for spaces and maybe even not the actual word expansion and may just the abbreviation.

But until she investigates, she will not know. And that MTSO - you worked for, you should sm

[ In Reply To ..]
asked them to show you how your lines were calculated. What is the good of "thinking" you are getting cheated if you arent going to take the time to find out for sure. All these "I think I am being cheated" posts are worthless, unless you KNOW and then post the truth.

Similar Messages:

How Many Minutes Of Dictation Can You Do In An Hour/day On Average?
Feb 18, 2010

I was just wondering your best estimate of how many minutes of dictation you can do per hour/day. My manager is calculating that the average MT can do 100 minutes of dictation per day. This seems very low to me since I can usually do at least 20 minutes of dictation per hour with a mix of traditional typing and VR (more typing than VR). Am I just an anomaly? ...

How Does A Person Figure How Many Minutes In An Hour Of Dictation Can Do
Jan 19, 2010

I am putting in for a proofing/transcribing job with a company but i need to also write down what i need for wages by how many minutes of dictation i can do.  How do i do this?  I have never kept track of minutes/hour and how much i actually do.  It has always been 8-9 cents/line.  She says an average is 20 minutes of dictation/hour then divide by 60 and that is what i would get paid per minute anywhere between her range she has.  Does anyone know how to figure this out. ...

No Line Counts Showing Last Hour.....
Jun 07, 2010

Is anybody else having a problem with slow appearing line counts?  I'm really wondering what's going on today.  There's been no CCM or QC emails either.  Very curious!!!  ...

What Are Opinions On Line Counts Per Hour For MTs?
Jul 16, 2010

I'm wondering if I fit in with the average... I am a fairly fast typist, all straight typing, not many templates or "normals", but some, and I utilize a lot of shorthand... I average about 250-275 lines an hour, but when I get ESL doctors that drops me to around 200... Does this sound about right? Curious out how people do on their shifts, if someone is working 8 hours a day, which I do not because my wrists can't handle it, I'm trying to see how well I can work up to "full tim ...

Average Line Counts On An 8-hour Shift Doing Speech Recognition?
Sep 23, 2011

What are the average line counts on an 8-hour shift doing speech recognition?  I use Dictaphone/Extext.  I'm producing on average about 240/hr sometimes less. Any info appreciated. ...

Nuance Line Counts - Required Line Counts?
Jan 01, 2013

Can you tell me what the required line counts are for Nuance please ? ...

75 Minutes Of Dictation
Apr 05, 2010

How long does it take to transcribe 75 minutes of dictation? ...

Dictation In Minutes
Oct 04, 2011

Does anyone know what 100 minutes of dictation equals in lines per 8-hour shift? ...

How Long Does It Take You To Do 75 Minutes Of Dictation
Jul 23, 2012

How long would it take to do 75  minutes of dictation (straight typing)?  I know there are a lot of variables, but just trying to get an estimate.   Thanks ...

How Many Minutes Should You Be Able To Transcribe Per Hour?
Jan 18, 2011

An curious as I just started a job that runs on minutes.  The supervisor wants me to get up to 140 minutes a day transcribed in 8 hours.  About how many lines an hour would that be?  Will that be easy?  TIA ...

30 Minutes And Only Get 1 Minute Worth Of Dictation
Nov 07, 2010

Don't you hate when that happens. I was all stoked up to get some lines for once and what would you know. I should have known it was too good to be true. ...

Thirty Minutes Of Dictation Per Week. Sm
Nov 02, 2012

I am applying at a company that requires at least 30 minutes of transcription a week.  As an estimate, how many hours would you say this is equivalent to?  Thanks in advance. ...

Formula To Figure Out 50 Minutes Of Dictation
Aug 15, 2013

I am needing to know how much dictation would average out to 50 minutes of dictation each day.  I know there is a formula but I cannot find it in my files?  I am looking  for PT work at least 25 to 30 hours a week?  Any info would be helpful. ...

Required To Do At Least 15 Minutes Of Audio Per Hour
May 17, 2012

I recently started with a new company where I am paid per minute. I am required to do at least 15 minutes of audio per hour while in training and then at least 20 minutes of audio per hour after that point as the minimum requirements. The account that I am on has dictations that are mostly 1 minute or less, fast talkers and pulling in templates. Do you think that these minimums are attainable? I know that I can do that many audio minutes on average, but I'm not used to being paid by the aud ...

41 Minute Dictation! 41 MINUTES! Of The Worst Dictator!
Oct 08, 2010

Is it too much to ask on my last shift before the weekend that I get some decent work?  I swear the transcription gods are punishing me! ...

What Are Minimum Minutes For An 8 Hour Period Nationwide?
Feb 23, 2010

I wanted to know how many minutes in 8 hours is considered normal. Thanks for all replies in advance. ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

IT And Line Counts Vs Other Line Count Programs
Oct 24, 2011

I would like opinions about the IT (Instant Text) line count program? Do you find it user friendly? Are there other programs preferred/easier? Any suggestions or opinions? TIA. ...

Line Counts - An Accurate Line Counter?
Aug 14, 2012

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an accurate line counter. I currently use Word, but am not sure if it's accurate.  ...

OSI Line Counts..
Aug 05, 2010

I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what OSI cuts out of their line counts?  Seeing as they use a remote website for line counts, it is pretty obvious they cut corners with what MTs get paid on.  I was just wondering WHAT are the cutting?  Do they only pay 1 space?  Do they not pay if you copy and paste? Do they only pay on a % per page - meaning if you have little on 1 page you aren't going to get any credit for those lines, etc?  Just curio ...

Line Counts Less?
Sep 07, 2010

Is it me, or does it seem that since 6.1 went into effect, my counts are a lot lower than usual when I check them under statistics. ...

Line Counts And ESL
Nov 12, 2011

I know this has been discussed before, but what is up with these line counts?  I used to have no problem doing 200+ lph.  Now, I work at the same pace on an account with less ESL speakers and I struggle to get my required 150 lph.  I won't even comment on the fact that my straight typing has dwindled away to maybe 10 lines a day...on a good day.  Thanks for listening...this is just all so very frustrating.  I try to keep a positive attitude and be very diligent about my work and ...

Line Counts/KNR
Feb 03, 2012

For MTs with this company, are any of you having trouble meeting the line count required with VBC within a 40-hour timeframe?  I even have expander program.   ...

Ok, Seriously, Regarding Line Counts
Jul 12, 2012

I posted yesterday and had lots of views, but no one replied.  Every time I check a line count in different online "character counters", it is about 10% over my MM count.  What is the most accurate way? ...

ASR And Line Counts
Apr 19, 2013

I was wondering if any of you could tell me your average LPH. Is the ASR at Nuance pretty accurate or are you constantly making corrections? How many lines per day are you able to do? I was offered a job here and I know I can trust you more than the recruiter to tell me the truth. Are the top producers really able to make a decent paycheck? Are you kept on your primary accounts for the most part? TIA. ...

Line Counts Off?
Mar 10, 2014

Is anyone's line count for today WAY OFF??  I've been working all morning and it seems to be waaaaaaaay too low! ...

Line Counts
May 18, 2015

Anyone out there finding that their lines are dropping for no apparent reason?  Have been struggling for 2 weeks to get minimum 150 lph, doing nothing different than I've ever done, same amount of work, same clients, same hours but lines suck.  What are the chances they are messing with our bean counter?? ...

QA Line Counts
Jun 23, 2015

How many lines are reasonable to expect from QA per hour?  Is a flat rate of 0.09/line count a good rate?  Any info would be appreciated! Thanks- ...

DTS America Line Counts
Dec 28, 2009

Does anyone work for DTS America and have problems with descrepancies on their line count? ...

Transtech Line Counts
Feb 05, 2010

I would just like to know who DOES get their line counts in every pay period.  It seems I am always a little short due to low volume?  I hope I am not in the same boat........Thanks for the input! ...