A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

making enough money to live on, is this even possible anymore since everything is changing to voice - sm

Posted: May 19, 2012

everything changing to voice - mt22

[ In Reply To ..]
1. Everything isn't changing to voice.

2. If you find the right company, you don't go broke editing.

My company gets straight typing jobs from new - accounts, but as soon as they -(sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
can, they switch it all over to voice. Even the crappy dictators. The good VR goes to india, and we are stuck with the ones that turn VR into gibberish. They only pay 3cpl, with no spaces. This has cut our wages to 1/3 what they were just 2 years ago.

It is just not humanly possible to try to decode this mess into readable records within an 8 hour day. Often even a 12 hour day still yields far less than what is needed to live on.

They either have to find a way to simplify this and make it work more in the MTs favor, or else up the pay per line, or go back to hourly pay. What they're doing currently isn't sustainable, and will ultimately come back to bite them. I sure hope they're working on a solution, but I sincerely doubt any of them have the intelligence to do so. Too bad for them.

Making enough money - Fatigued Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I make enough money to live on and then some. I'm fortunate to have multiple accounts and to work for a company that treats me fairly.

Yes, possible but get your own accounts - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Get your own accounts. If you produce high-quality work and pay attention to detail, you will have more work on your desk than you know what to do with. Trust me. I make great money but unfortunately have huge medical expenses. I set up every short cut, template, and text expander I can and make sure the dictators speak clear on a land line. Good luck.

Getting Own Accounts - Hello

[ In Reply To ..]
Any advice on getting own accounts? I was thinking about making a page with my info on it. My specialty is psych transcription. Can I just send out my info page to various psych clinics to see if they are looking for a transcriptionist?

Similar Messages:

Voice Recognition - Is Anybody Making Any Money At All On Voice?
Jan 12, 2013

I was wondering, is anybody making any money at all on voice?  I keep hearing just minimum or maybe a little more.  I call minimum wage 7.50 to 8.00 an hour.  My experience with it was at one point I was told that I hadn't made enough for minimum and they had to do make-up pay.  So how is everybody's experience with voice?  I run from it, and I just want to know if anybody really can make an money? Thanks. ...

Cant Make No Money At MQ Anymore
Mar 27, 2010

I have had it..The past 2 paychecks I made approximately $200.00 less..constantly getting work I have never done before from hospitals I have never done because there is no work in my hospitals, constantly having to run searches in DoQManage for reports because I have never done those hospitals before..then we are told there is a certain amount of lines/hour we have to do..there is NOT enough time in an hour to do all this plus transcribe.  MQ..JUST LEAVE US ALONE AND LET US TRANSCRIBE..Let ...

Voice Changing
Dec 09, 2014

Does anyone know of any software available where we can change the voice on incoming sound files? I know there is software to change my voice if I am speaking, but am not aware of any for changing playback, other than to change the speed. ...

Are There Any MTs Making Anywhere Near 12-15 Cpl Anymore...jeeeeeze!
Dec 03, 2010

What has happened within the past few years? Is the overhead so 'over head' that we can't even scrape up 10 cpl much less the 12-15 cpl? ...

Is Anyone Making A Living Anymore?
Jul 25, 2014

After 15 years I decided to hang it up and gave up MT work when VR pay was so low and the jobs were few and far between.  My yearly income was cut more than half.  I've often wondered if anyone is still able to make a living doing MT work.  I don't miss it at all, just wondering. ...

The Q Must Be Making A Lot Of Money Off Me.
Feb 13, 2011

I calculated my hourly pay for this week. Mind you, I gave it all my effort every day this week. Drum roll..... I made $6 per hour. Because we have to be paid at least minimum wage, I get paid $8 per hour. My accounts are 99% ASR. I have been getting paid minimum wage for sometime now. If they weren't making plenty of money off me, they would have let me go some time ago. ...

For Those Making Little Money (or Who've Had A Big Cut In Pay) - Sm
Feb 23, 2012

Day after day, I read comments here about people making less than minimum wage... or women who used to make a solid middle class living at this who now cry when they look at their W2... or who made in 2011 what they made in 1993. I'm curious to know why you continue to put up with this.  What is holding you back from seeking a better situation?  What are your circumstances?  Do you have low self-esteem?  Trapped in Appalachia with 2 hours to the closest hospital?  ...

MTs Making Big Money
May 07, 2013

Just saw some gab on a mt group on facebook (not naming which), stating that people are out there making 800 a week on straight typing. Where are these jobs...I want one. Now I am not saying they do not exist but seriously I thought this was rare. Is it me or... should I be looking harder. No flaming please. This discussion had me thinking that I missed the boat somewhere or someone is telling tales... ...

Making No Money
Aug 31, 2013

I work for a company that I make NO money.  YES, I am seeking other employment, I'm not just sitting there whining about it, but rather just keeping some income while I look for more income.  I have barely had work this week and even when I do have work, the VR system is so bad that I really don't clear minimum wage.  So, today, apparently they are behind and I'm getting emails every hour or so that say "You ladies need to jump in and help, make this money while you can"  I me ...

Woo-hoo Making The Big Money
Jan 02, 2015

worked a whole 1.82 hours yesterday and so far today the same.  Sure hope things pick up fast.  Hardly making ends meet. Cleaned house yesterday so today I guess I'll sit back and read as the house is quiet.  Hope I don't fall asleep.  HA!   ...

Are There Any MMEs Making Money?
Dec 15, 2009

Seriously inquiring as to whether or not there are MMEs out there making what they made when they were just QA.  If so, do you have full listen reports for more than half your day? If so, do you have any helpful hints?  MT/MEs are moving into the MME positions and I feel so bad that they have no idea what they are getting themselves into.  Hope you all make more than me.  As of the new year I will be looking for different employment.  So sad 20 years later and I'm n ...

Anyone Else At Transcend Not Making Any Money?
Feb 07, 2012

I've been at Transcend now since Dec 20th.  My line counts are pathetic.  It's not because of lack of work.  No, it is speed.  I cannot get any speed at all.  For my hours, I have made less than min wage.  When working on Editscript, I got a lot more lines per hour than this, 250-400 editing according to the dictator but never under 250.  On BeyondTXT it is way below that, not exactly sure how much.  It was 180 but it has went down instead o ...

I Know Now Why I'm Not Making Money At Transcend.
Feb 22, 2012

I have been working at Transcend since Dec. 20.  I have not been able to consistently average a good line count.  I was wondering if it was possible for me to get a decent line count.  Well, last night I got several reports in a row of a good dictator that the VR picked up well.  I got 300 lines in an hour for him, which is a lot better than I do on some.  So I know it is possible to do decent BUT I get dictators that are so bad that the VR still won't even pick the ...

Making Decent Money Doing VR
Mar 28, 2012

Just wondering if anyone out there is actually making decent money doing VR as apposed to straight typing? ...

Unemployment - Making More Money
Sep 25, 2012

I keep seeing MTs saying they make more on UE than at work.  Isn't your UE based on what you made prior to applying for UE?  If you make say $400 a week before UE, then UE would be a smaller percentage than $400 a week to the best of my knowledge.  I never thought you would make even as much on UE let alone more.  How does this work?  TIA ...

Line Counts - Anybody Making Any Money Doing This?
Oct 19, 2009

I have been doing about half and half, VR and straight transcription for the past three months - is anybody making any money doing this? My line rate, of course, is half of my regular transcription rate (like that is fair, right?).  I am using all the keyboard shortcuts that I can find and have created some macros, but the bottom line is still that some reports really are bad and even with picking up the speed to 40%, I am just not making any money!  Just venting, I guess.  I was doing 1200 l ...

Fast Chart- Anybody Making Any Money With Them?
May 10, 2010

I keep thinking about applying but have heard they have low pay so I wondered if anyone was making a living on that or happy at Fast Chart. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

Making More Money With VR Than Traditional Typing?
Jun 23, 2010

I saw someone post here that they are making a whole lot more with VR than they ever made with straight transcription. I wonder HOW this is possible.  Could it be that they just were not that fast of a transcriptionist or possibly they just have great VR reports? Anyone else? ...

Question For Those Making More Or Less Money So Far With New Plan. Sm
Dec 22, 2014

What percentage of your work is VR versus straight and did you make out better or worse? Thanks to those who respond.  ...

Radiology Jobs Still Making Decent Money?
Mar 17, 2010

Are there any MT's out there that do Radiology and still have good accounts and are still making decent money???  Just checking, going to lose my biggest account in a few weeks..... ...

I Love Typing For 6 Cpl And Making No Money!!!!! It's Great!
Sep 13, 2010

My account went to VR a few months ago. The docs who cannot do VR because they cannot talk worth a crap still have to be typed. The best part is, instead of making 10 cpl, we now get paid 6 cpl to do it. Basically, I am now making what I made about 11 or 12 years ago. Yeah, yeah…I know company.........you keep telling me how I am actually coming out ahead.  I hear ya, I just don't believe ya! ...

Hey Look, With No Experience At All, I Can Make Much More Money Making Burgers!!!
Sep 14, 2013

Amidst nationwide protests about the minimum wage at fast-food eateries, one burger joint in the Detroit metropolitan area has decided to raise its starting salary to $15. According to the Daily Beast, Moo Cluck Moo, a Michigan eatery, had already been paying employees an unheard of $12 per hour. Fast-food workers around the country have been holding protests to encourage companies and restaurant owners to raise staff pay. Moo Cluck Moo owners Brian Parker and Harry Moorhouse chose to give their ...

Voice Recognition - Less Money Per Line, But Less Lines To Type!
Jun 10, 2010

Just accepted a position that is mostly VR.  I am looking forward to it because I figure, less money per line, but less lines to type!  Am I wrong?  I mean, shouldn't you be able to do more using VR?  Just curious as to opinions.  Because I'm all for it if it means less typing.  Thanks! ...

It Is Just Me Or Is There Anyone That Can Make More Money Typing Versus Voice Recognition?
May 31, 2012

Question For Those Content And Making Good Money - Please No Sarcasm
Apr 27, 2011

I ask that you not give me all the negative feedback because I have already read that, and plenty of it.  I get it.  People are frustrated.  I get that.   I am an MT of 5 years.  I went into a different career area because I have a degree in psychology and continued to do MT on the side so I wouldn't lose my skills.  However, personal circumstances at home make it easier for me to work from home, and telecommuting social work is not a career option.  I had ...

CHANGING JOBS/CHANGING EMPLOYEES
Feb 23, 2011

I have been applying and studying the "online transcription world" for about 2 months, so I realize I have am a neophyte. BUT-it seems to me that what is happening here is a huge waste of time and money. If the companies paid enough, ACTUALLY had work when they hire, were able to ACTUALLY pay the employees at all,  and treated employees well, then the transcriptionists wouldn't go looking for another job and leave.  THEN the companies wouldn't have to maintain recruiters, pos ...

Are Those Of Us To Who It Was Mentioned To Go Live With DQS 7
Jun 06, 2012

today still supposed to start using it?  I haven't received any official email from the CCM stating to start using it today. ...

Go Live Definition
Oct 30, 2012

I'm new to this - what does "go live" actually mean?  Is it when it goes from strictly straight typing to VR?  Or is it when an MTSO gets a brand new acct?  Thanks! ...

If You Live In Texas And Own An RV
Apr 06, 2013

If you live in Texas (or maybe Louisiana) and own your own RV, consider being a gate guard at a natural gas field. The pay is about $15 an hour and that's 24 hours a day. And while you're sitting in that RV, guess what you can be doing. ...

Live Notes, Anybody?
Jun 08, 2013

I have a chance to get in with an MT company that also offers their ICs a chance at live note taking.  It doesn't pay too good, though, less than what the standard reports pay per audio minute.  I have never done this.  Can someone explain to me how it works?  I have heard that "live notes are typed in one pass."  What does this mean? ...