A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question for those content and making good money - please no sarcasm - MT again?

Posted: Apr 27, 2011

I ask that you not give me all the negative feedback because I have already read that, and plenty of it.  I get it.  People are frustrated.  I get that.   I am an MT of 5 years.  I went into a different career area because I have a degree in psychology and continued to do MT on the side so I wouldn't lose my skills.  However, personal circumstances at home make it easier for me to work from home, and telecommuting social work is not a career option.  I had a great job with a great MT company, but was only able to make about $30,000 working very hard.  However, some people on here are making more, I know.  I do all specialties.  I would love some inbox replies from people who are HAPPY and making money for sincere help on who they are working for, if they have their own business, etc.  I need honesty and transparency.   I have a disabled child and so to take a leap back into MT full-time would be a risk, but I have circumstances that may be forcing me to go back into that risk, and I need the very best advice for the very best chance at success.  I am really fast and had an accuracy rating of 99.8% doing all work types.  I am a good MT.  Considering getting my own accounts vs. another national, but concerned I can't make what I need ($40,000).  Thank you in advance, and you may inbox me.  Please, please do not give me all the negative junk, because I said, I read that, I get it.  Something constructive is what I am looking for.

Happy and doing well here - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm very happy with my job and relatively happy with what I earn. Would I like to earn more - well, sure. Would I like to see a raise once a year for a job well done - definitely. But, overall, yes, I'm happy and earning what I think is a reasonable, fair pay and have good benefits. How my situation can help you, I don't know, though, as I don't really know all your circumstances and factors you are dealing with, your expenses, your cost of living for where you live, etc. I can tell you that I work directly for a hospital, I work from home, equipment is provided and supported by the hospital, I have great benefits (as compared to when I worked for a national and had practically no benefits). I am paid 11 cpl (no spaces), and right now do straight transcribing, no VR/SR/editing. We rotate weekends, so I am required to work 1 Saturday approximately every 5-6 weeks (taking a day off during the week in exchange, unless OT is approved).

Personally, I would recommend working for someone else (a hospital or small service is best IMO) rather than finding your own accounts. Drumming up and keeping your own accounts, maintaining your own equipment, receipt & delivery of reports, etc. can take up a lot of time, effort, etc. & self-employment tax and being self-insured will eat up any $$ you make.

I know there is a LOT of negative on these boards, but I think that is just the way such boards work. There are plenty of people out here who are happy and making a decent living.

Thank you for your comment. - angel456

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your positive comment. They are so rare on this board. I am in the Advanced MT school about one month from finishing and I am (well to be truthful) terrified that I will not get a job or be able to keep a job. I used to work in the lab and was excellent at what I did. I hope and pray that transcribing will be fulfilling in every aspect.

Why doesn't anyone suggest where to find the better paying jobs with a decent company? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been looking high and low for a company that does little VR and who pays a decent wage. I also am wanting to find a company that treats its people with respect. That is probably foremost as most of the companies I have heard of are incredibly rude or supply very little to know communication

Because unfortunately they don't seem to be out there - mtmom

[ In Reply To ..]
Or, all the good jobs have good retention and they don't need more people. I think Transcend is probably overall the best of all I've seen on here, but that doesn't mean that they are great, just tolerable.

Why doesn't anyone......? - Maria

[ In Reply To ..]
My boss asked me not to list our company on here again, as the last time I did, tons of newbies and wannabes flooded HR with applications. We are a mid-sized company and do not have personnel to deal with things like that. In fact, my boss prefers to recruit good MTs. Just keep trying--you are bound to find the right fit. I worked for a ghastly company (MedQuist) before leaving it for this smaller, more manageable company. And yes, I am treated with respect.

I did and was deleted - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told that I was "redirecting" people from this site.

Read post "happy and doing well also" - There are good jobs out there

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to get out there and pound the pavement and not just search through the internet. More times than not, these good hospital jobs are not advertised on the internet. You need to have personal contact with them so they get to know you so that when the jobs open up and before they are posted in the hospital job postings, you have a shot at them. This is how I found 2 good hospital jobs that never would have been posted anywhere except the internal hospital job postings.

It takes some work on your part, but if you want the good jobs that is what it takes. I know several MTs who landed accounts of their own or hospital/clinic employee MT jobs by going door-to-door in person. It seems this is something that many young people are unwilling to do as it is too much work and takes too long, but then complain about not being able to find a decent-paying MT job. JMHO

Because unqualified people with poor or no training at all will apply - Experienced MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of us have seen what happens when someone talks about a company they like. Literally hundreds of unprepared and unqualified applicants bog down the system so those who do have good MT education, training, and/or experience are lost in the stacks of resumes. It costs companies time and money. The people who have the right skills for the job suffer because they have to wait while recruiters go through and sort out the good from the bad.

Then when HR starts checking references, even some of those seemingly good resumes turn out to be false. An MT here or there never really graduated from the school they claim to be a graduate of or maybe never really even attended at all, but when confronted about it say it's no big deal, "you just listen and type what you hear, so it couldn't be that hard, right?" Unqualified people still believe that.

That is why most of us say that it isn't wise to give out information about companies you like. You are doing them no favors. The qualified MTs will find them.

I'm happy foir you! bet they talk to you with resect and don't play games. - used to have that, looking for it again.

[ In Reply To ..]
ideal situation. never let it go.

Have you looked into human resources? - mter

[ In Reply To ..]
They do a lot of research online and a lot advertise home-based business. Look up telecommuting jobs. A psych degree is a good overall degree that businesses value.

MT Again - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I sent you an e-mail. Perhaps I can help.

Happy and doing well also as above poster - There are good jobs out there

[ In Reply To ..]
working directly for a hospital after 10 years working for a service, a couple of years as IC with my own accounts, and a couple of years working for someone with their own accounts. I have good benefits and great pay compared to working for a service or as IC. I think that is the only way to make a decent wage in this profession now. These jobs are far and few between, but they are out there. You just have to find a hospital that still has in-house transcription and monitor their job postings for MT openings and jump on them quickly.

What I did was found a local rual hospital (about 30 minutes drive from me) and went there in person and talked to the medical records supervisor. I kept checking back in person and talking with her and eventually she tested me. I had to wait almost a year because they had 6 long-time MTs (4 of whom worked from home) who were not going anywhere, but then someone retired and, because I had kept in contact in person, was offered the job. I had to work in-house for about 3 months first before they allowed me to work from home, but it was well worth the commute and I absolutely love my job there.

While I was waiting for this job to open up, I also worked on the side as a backup MT (for vacations, sick leave, etc) for another local hospital while still working for a service full time. I got this the same way, by going there in person and talking to the medical records department. This was not an at-home position and work was sporatic, but it was a good reference with excellent networking opportunity, not to mention that the pay for a few days' work was more than I made in a week at my full time job with the service.

Granted, but not everyone lives close to a hospital - MT is not like other jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
In other fields of work, people who don't live near the job they want either move closer to it or they don't get that job. In MT, we assume that we can apply for jobs anywhere in the country, and we can, because we are able to work at home. That's a very good thing about MT. Not everyone lives close to a hospital and in fact, some live in areas where there are no jobs of any kind. MT is perfect for those kinds of situations, even if there isn't a hospital nearby.

I agree though that if you do have a hospital near you, it may be worth it to go in-house, if you get better benefits and higher pay. You have to ask yourself what is most important to you, the ability to work at home so you can be available to your family for emergencies, oversee family members with disabilities or special needs, or work on-site where you are likely to have better benefits. Another great thing about MT is, it isn't a one-size-fits-all occupation.

Like I said, - Happy and doing well

[ In Reply To ..]
I had to drive 30 minutes (long way for me) to the nearest hospital for a few months, but working from home now for them and the pay was worth it. A lot of hospitals are sending their MTs home to work, saves them money. I would have been willing to drive even further to secure a hospital job like I have now with over double the pay you get working for a service if the job could be done from home after initial training period.

The point of my post was that good jobs are out there, you just have to get away from the computer to find them as the good-paying work-from-home MT jobs are often not advertised.

I agree that MT is not a one-size-fits-all occupation and that is great and that everyones situation is different.

I've worked in hospitals 13 years in the greater Chicago area - when there were no at home MTs. we drove.

[ In Reply To ..]
Chicago direct, surrounding suburbs, and across the border into Indiana. U never really lived near a job, but communted. Just like everyone else. Car, bus, train, sometimes hour commute one way.

Similar Messages:

The Q Must Be Making A Lot Of Money Off Me.
Feb 13, 2011

I calculated my hourly pay for this week. Mind you, I gave it all my effort every day this week. Drum roll..... I made $6 per hour. Because we have to be paid at least minimum wage, I get paid $8 per hour. My accounts are 99% ASR. I have been getting paid minimum wage for sometime now. If they weren't making plenty of money off me, they would have let me go some time ago. ...

For Those Making Little Money (or Who've Had A Big Cut In Pay) - Sm
Feb 23, 2012

Day after day, I read comments here about people making less than minimum wage... or women who used to make a solid middle class living at this who now cry when they look at their W2... or who made in 2011 what they made in 1993. I'm curious to know why you continue to put up with this.  What is holding you back from seeking a better situation?  What are your circumstances?  Do you have low self-esteem?  Trapped in Appalachia with 2 hours to the closest hospital?  ...

MTs Making Big Money
May 07, 2013

Just saw some gab on a mt group on facebook (not naming which), stating that people are out there making 800 a week on straight typing. Where are these jobs...I want one. Now I am not saying they do not exist but seriously I thought this was rare. Is it me or... should I be looking harder. No flaming please. This discussion had me thinking that I missed the boat somewhere or someone is telling tales... ...

Making No Money
Aug 31, 2013

I work for a company that I make NO money.  YES, I am seeking other employment, I'm not just sitting there whining about it, but rather just keeping some income while I look for more income.  I have barely had work this week and even when I do have work, the VR system is so bad that I really don't clear minimum wage.  So, today, apparently they are behind and I'm getting emails every hour or so that say "You ladies need to jump in and help, make this money while you can"  I me ...

Woo-hoo Making The Big Money
Jan 02, 2015

worked a whole 1.82 hours yesterday and so far today the same.  Sure hope things pick up fast.  Hardly making ends meet. Cleaned house yesterday so today I guess I'll sit back and read as the house is quiet.  Hope I don't fall asleep.  HA!   ...

Are There Any MMEs Making Money?
Dec 15, 2009

Seriously inquiring as to whether or not there are MMEs out there making what they made when they were just QA.  If so, do you have full listen reports for more than half your day? If so, do you have any helpful hints?  MT/MEs are moving into the MME positions and I feel so bad that they have no idea what they are getting themselves into.  Hope you all make more than me.  As of the new year I will be looking for different employment.  So sad 20 years later and I'm n ...

Anyone Else At Transcend Not Making Any Money?
Feb 07, 2012

I've been at Transcend now since Dec 20th.  My line counts are pathetic.  It's not because of lack of work.  No, it is speed.  I cannot get any speed at all.  For my hours, I have made less than min wage.  When working on Editscript, I got a lot more lines per hour than this, 250-400 editing according to the dictator but never under 250.  On BeyondTXT it is way below that, not exactly sure how much.  It was 180 but it has went down instead o ...

I Know Now Why I'm Not Making Money At Transcend.
Feb 22, 2012

I have been working at Transcend since Dec. 20.  I have not been able to consistently average a good line count.  I was wondering if it was possible for me to get a decent line count.  Well, last night I got several reports in a row of a good dictator that the VR picked up well.  I got 300 lines in an hour for him, which is a lot better than I do on some.  So I know it is possible to do decent BUT I get dictators that are so bad that the VR still won't even pick the ...

Making Decent Money Doing VR
Mar 28, 2012

Just wondering if anyone out there is actually making decent money doing VR as apposed to straight typing? ...

Unemployment - Making More Money
Sep 25, 2012

I keep seeing MTs saying they make more on UE than at work.  Isn't your UE based on what you made prior to applying for UE?  If you make say $400 a week before UE, then UE would be a smaller percentage than $400 a week to the best of my knowledge.  I never thought you would make even as much on UE let alone more.  How does this work?  TIA ...

Line Counts - Anybody Making Any Money Doing This?
Oct 19, 2009

I have been doing about half and half, VR and straight transcription for the past three months - is anybody making any money doing this? My line rate, of course, is half of my regular transcription rate (like that is fair, right?).  I am using all the keyboard shortcuts that I can find and have created some macros, but the bottom line is still that some reports really are bad and even with picking up the speed to 40%, I am just not making any money!  Just venting, I guess.  I was doing 1200 l ...

Fast Chart- Anybody Making Any Money With Them?
May 10, 2010

I keep thinking about applying but have heard they have low pay so I wondered if anyone was making a living on that or happy at Fast Chart. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

Making More Money With VR Than Traditional Typing?
Jun 23, 2010

I saw someone post here that they are making a whole lot more with VR than they ever made with straight transcription. I wonder HOW this is possible.  Could it be that they just were not that fast of a transcriptionist or possibly they just have great VR reports? Anyone else? ...

Question For Those Making More Or Less Money So Far With New Plan. Sm
Dec 22, 2014

What percentage of your work is VR versus straight and did you make out better or worse? Thanks to those who respond.  ...

Radiology Jobs Still Making Decent Money?
Mar 17, 2010

Are there any MT's out there that do Radiology and still have good accounts and are still making decent money???  Just checking, going to lose my biggest account in a few weeks..... ...

I Love Typing For 6 Cpl And Making No Money!!!!! It's Great!
Sep 13, 2010

My account went to VR a few months ago. The docs who cannot do VR because they cannot talk worth a crap still have to be typed. The best part is, instead of making 10 cpl, we now get paid 6 cpl to do it. Basically, I am now making what I made about 11 or 12 years ago. Yeah, yeah…I know company.........you keep telling me how I am actually coming out ahead.  I hear ya, I just don't believe ya! ...

Hey Look, With No Experience At All, I Can Make Much More Money Making Burgers!!!
Sep 14, 2013

Amidst nationwide protests about the minimum wage at fast-food eateries, one burger joint in the Detroit metropolitan area has decided to raise its starting salary to $15. According to the Daily Beast, Moo Cluck Moo, a Michigan eatery, had already been paying employees an unheard of $12 per hour. Fast-food workers around the country have been holding protests to encourage companies and restaurant owners to raise staff pay. Moo Cluck Moo owners Brian Parker and Harry Moorhouse chose to give their ...

Making Enough Money To Live On, Is This Even Possible Anymore Since Everything Is Changing To Voice
May 19, 2012

All Type QA - Good Money?? Good Company???
May 24, 2011

I have expierence with QA, although have never been paid production for it. I do enjoy QA more. Does anyone have expierence at All Type in QA? Are they reliable?? Do they pay well? I currently make about 32000/year and need more. Would this be doable? TIA!! ...

No Wonder Some People Make Good Money
Jun 26, 2015

Had several jobs off my regular account this morning,,,all STANDARDS, clear dictators...NOT FAIR ...

Annoyed. You Would Think With Spending A Good Deal Of Money On A Program That....
Nov 29, 2012

I thought that was the purpose in having a discussion board on the school site?! ...

Voice Recognition - Is Anybody Making Any Money At All On Voice?
Jan 12, 2013

I was wondering, is anybody making any money at all on voice?  I keep hearing just minimum or maybe a little more.  I call minimum wage 7.50 to 8.00 an hour.  My experience with it was at one point I was told that I hadn't made enough for minimum and they had to do make-up pay.  So how is everybody's experience with voice?  I run from it, and I just want to know if anybody really can make an money? Thanks. ...

I Was Told I Am The Only Person Not Catching Onto VR And Everyone Else Had Caught On And Making Good
Feb 05, 2013

Dear Doctor (sarcasm)
Apr 09, 2011

Thank you for dictating your three H&Ps starting at 1 a.m.  on patients who were admitted yesterday and the day before (so therefore are already out of compliance on).  I appreciate the yawns and am really grateful that you apologized for coughing in my ears.  Would really have preferred that you take a nap first, then I might actually be able to understand you wouldn't have to leave so many blanks since you aren't that good as a dictator in the first place.  Ma ...

Kudos, High Five, Fist Bump To All The Comics And Sarcasm
Apr 03, 2014

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making me smile or LOL or ROFLMAO during the mundane hours I must do my best to crank out tedious medical records faster than a speeding bullet for the pittance Nuance gives us.  It is wonderful to see we have not lost our humor in our downward spiral of being outsourced to the outsource companies. Now I will probably be fired for openly admitting I see what's going on in "our world" during work hours. ...

Tried To Log In To MQCentral And It Says No Content Available
Sep 07, 2010

Did anyone else run into this? ...

Content In Report
Aug 03, 2012

I was wondering if any of you have typed for a physician that includes information about the patient down to them being self pay, not using the patient's insurance because "commonwealth" payout better and then this comment in the report about the patient not scheduling nasal surgery.   "He seems to make time to get other surgeries scheduled such as skin cancer surgeries, hip revisions and cataract surgeries done." this just seems inappropriate to me for the patient who will never k ...

Why I Am Content At Nuance
Jun 06, 2014

I got asked the question so I am going to answer it. I am not a manager. I am not a "plant". I have been in the field of MT for 25 years. I have worked for Nuance for 7 months, so I know things can change, but this has been my REAL and TRUE experience thus far: 1. I work the days and hours I want. 2. Upon being hired I was sent free medical spellchecker software, a free pedal and a free headset. 3. Paid training at $10/hr. 4. I am never OOW in my accounts except on holidays ...

Are You Content With The Company You Work For And
Oct 04, 2014

if so would you be willing to name your company? ...

At L4-5, There Is S/l (disc-a-zation) Of The Disc Representing Loss Of Water Content.
Mar 07, 2012

TIA :-) ...