A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Making no money - laughable

Posted: Aug 31, 2013

I work for a company that I make NO money.  YES, I am seeking other employment, I'm not just sitting there whining about it, but rather just keeping some income while I look for more income.  I have barely had work this week and even when I do have work, the VR system is so bad that I really don't clear minimum wage.  So, today, apparently they are behind and I'm getting emails every hour or so that say "You ladies need to jump in and help, make this money while you can"  I mean REALLY?  If I so chose to give up my day off, would I do so in order to probably work the whole day for maybe $20 bucks?  No thank you!  I would rather cut costs somewhere and save myself $20 bucks than to give them the satisfaction of me working "extra" for it. I know I'm bitter and I know I have to get out, but I really never got this way until the past year.

if they want that work moved - its called incentive

[ In Reply To ..]
A word the MTSOs seem to have stricken from their dictionaries.

Yep, motivating people - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
My husband is a first-line manager for a big multinational corporation, and he just did a week-long management educational seminar that all the managers in his group attended. He was telling me that the single biggest motivating factor for people who do the type of work that we do (sort of repetitive, productivity based work as opposed to creative, idea-based work) is money.

No way would I work on my day off for minimum wage, especially if I had been there faithfully awaiting work during my scheduled work hours and got shafted then with no work. That's why people who work odd hours and weekends usually get paid more, right?

I have noticed that lately........ - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The "motivational" speeches are more like..."These are your accounts, you should WANT to keep your clients happy" or saying "It is your job to keep your clients happy or they will find other companies and we will all be out of a job". That's about all I get from my MTSO.
ditto, but unfortunately I stopped caring. - MT52
[ In Reply To ..]
xxxx

Sad that companies need to hold seminars about how to motivate people... - ETOHPRN

[ In Reply To ..]
Show us the money! Always.
:-)
Yes, and - (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
... The video my husband watched in that seminar, which he showed me as well, was very interesting. It had some surprising facts about how money is NOT the primary motivator for certain occupations- but only once people are able to make a living wage. For creative types of work, recognition in the professional community and achievement are primary motivators. Money, however, is the primary motivator for productivity-based work. Again, the key to motivating anyone is to ensure that they make a living wage and then, depending on the type of work it is, the primary motivator may or may not be money. For us, it is definitely money.

So, what you're saying is - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't really need the money after all.

No, what I am saying is............ - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That $20 bucks is not worth spending an extra day away from my family, my children, my LIFE!!!! What I am saying is, if I would only make $20 bucks that I can just cut corners on something and SAVE $20 bucks rather than working extra for this $20 bucks. Prostitutes can make BIG MONEY and so can drug dealers....the fact that I refuse to participate in those types of occupations does not mean that I "don't need the money" it simply means that I value myself and my own worth and the worth of my children who deserve to spend time with me!!

Amen!! Very well stated, and might I add....sm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
That IF you sat down and worked "extra" (which really isn't extra since you've said that you've had days with NO work), you would probably be more stressed out, agitated, and irritable once you end your "extra" day and find that you only made a measly 20 or 30 bucks, which would probably be spent helping to pay for a doctor/mental health visit and the antidepressant/anti-anxiety medications that you'll eventually need from harboring all of these "negative" feelings that come from doing this thankless job. :)

Best to cut a corner somewhere else and save the money (like maybe getting rid of those extra cable movie channels or something along those lines) WITHOUT having the extra-added stress from having to give up the most important things in life, like TIME WITH FAMILY!

I'd be willing to bet those people that are in the "salaried higher-up" positions aren't giving up their precious family time or vacation time or whatever else they can afford to have that we no longer have the luxury of enjoying most of the time!

well you have to be making at least minimum wage - they have to make up the pay

[ In Reply To ..]
that being said, good luck finding a new job! I'm back to school myself.

Yeah, no way am I spending the weekend catching - (sm) Gossip Girl

[ In Reply To ..]
them up on their work for a 0.0005 cent-per-line "incentive". I picked up some easy freelance work that pays $30/hr. Gee, I wonder which one I'll be working on today?

Similar Messages:

The Q Must Be Making A Lot Of Money Off Me.
Feb 13, 2011

I calculated my hourly pay for this week. Mind you, I gave it all my effort every day this week. Drum roll..... I made $6 per hour. Because we have to be paid at least minimum wage, I get paid $8 per hour. My accounts are 99% ASR. I have been getting paid minimum wage for sometime now. If they weren't making plenty of money off me, they would have let me go some time ago. ...

For Those Making Little Money (or Who've Had A Big Cut In Pay) - Sm
Feb 23, 2012

Day after day, I read comments here about people making less than minimum wage... or women who used to make a solid middle class living at this who now cry when they look at their W2... or who made in 2011 what they made in 1993. I'm curious to know why you continue to put up with this.  What is holding you back from seeking a better situation?  What are your circumstances?  Do you have low self-esteem?  Trapped in Appalachia with 2 hours to the closest hospital?  ...

MTs Making Big Money
May 07, 2013

Just saw some gab on a mt group on facebook (not naming which), stating that people are out there making 800 a week on straight typing. Where are these jobs...I want one. Now I am not saying they do not exist but seriously I thought this was rare. Is it me or... should I be looking harder. No flaming please. This discussion had me thinking that I missed the boat somewhere or someone is telling tales... ...

Woo-hoo Making The Big Money
Jan 02, 2015

worked a whole 1.82 hours yesterday and so far today the same.  Sure hope things pick up fast.  Hardly making ends meet. Cleaned house yesterday so today I guess I'll sit back and read as the house is quiet.  Hope I don't fall asleep.  HA!   ...

Are There Any MMEs Making Money?
Dec 15, 2009

Seriously inquiring as to whether or not there are MMEs out there making what they made when they were just QA.  If so, do you have full listen reports for more than half your day? If so, do you have any helpful hints?  MT/MEs are moving into the MME positions and I feel so bad that they have no idea what they are getting themselves into.  Hope you all make more than me.  As of the new year I will be looking for different employment.  So sad 20 years later and I'm n ...

Anyone Else At Transcend Not Making Any Money?
Feb 07, 2012

I've been at Transcend now since Dec 20th.  My line counts are pathetic.  It's not because of lack of work.  No, it is speed.  I cannot get any speed at all.  For my hours, I have made less than min wage.  When working on Editscript, I got a lot more lines per hour than this, 250-400 editing according to the dictator but never under 250.  On BeyondTXT it is way below that, not exactly sure how much.  It was 180 but it has went down instead o ...

I Know Now Why I'm Not Making Money At Transcend.
Feb 22, 2012

I have been working at Transcend since Dec. 20.  I have not been able to consistently average a good line count.  I was wondering if it was possible for me to get a decent line count.  Well, last night I got several reports in a row of a good dictator that the VR picked up well.  I got 300 lines in an hour for him, which is a lot better than I do on some.  So I know it is possible to do decent BUT I get dictators that are so bad that the VR still won't even pick the ...

Making Decent Money Doing VR
Mar 28, 2012

Just wondering if anyone out there is actually making decent money doing VR as apposed to straight typing? ...

Unemployment - Making More Money
Sep 25, 2012

I keep seeing MTs saying they make more on UE than at work.  Isn't your UE based on what you made prior to applying for UE?  If you make say $400 a week before UE, then UE would be a smaller percentage than $400 a week to the best of my knowledge.  I never thought you would make even as much on UE let alone more.  How does this work?  TIA ...

Line Counts - Anybody Making Any Money Doing This?
Oct 19, 2009

I have been doing about half and half, VR and straight transcription for the past three months - is anybody making any money doing this? My line rate, of course, is half of my regular transcription rate (like that is fair, right?).  I am using all the keyboard shortcuts that I can find and have created some macros, but the bottom line is still that some reports really are bad and even with picking up the speed to 40%, I am just not making any money!  Just venting, I guess.  I was doing 1200 l ...

Fast Chart- Anybody Making Any Money With Them?
May 10, 2010

I keep thinking about applying but have heard they have low pay so I wondered if anyone was making a living on that or happy at Fast Chart. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

Making More Money With VR Than Traditional Typing?
Jun 23, 2010

I saw someone post here that they are making a whole lot more with VR than they ever made with straight transcription. I wonder HOW this is possible.  Could it be that they just were not that fast of a transcriptionist or possibly they just have great VR reports? Anyone else? ...

Question For Those Making More Or Less Money So Far With New Plan. Sm
Dec 22, 2014

What percentage of your work is VR versus straight and did you make out better or worse? Thanks to those who respond.  ...

Radiology Jobs Still Making Decent Money?
Mar 17, 2010

Are there any MT's out there that do Radiology and still have good accounts and are still making decent money???  Just checking, going to lose my biggest account in a few weeks..... ...

I Love Typing For 6 Cpl And Making No Money!!!!! It's Great!
Sep 13, 2010

My account went to VR a few months ago. The docs who cannot do VR because they cannot talk worth a crap still have to be typed. The best part is, instead of making 10 cpl, we now get paid 6 cpl to do it. Basically, I am now making what I made about 11 or 12 years ago. Yeah, yeah…I know company.........you keep telling me how I am actually coming out ahead.  I hear ya, I just don't believe ya! ...

Hey Look, With No Experience At All, I Can Make Much More Money Making Burgers!!!
Sep 14, 2013

Amidst nationwide protests about the minimum wage at fast-food eateries, one burger joint in the Detroit metropolitan area has decided to raise its starting salary to $15. According to the Daily Beast, Moo Cluck Moo, a Michigan eatery, had already been paying employees an unheard of $12 per hour. Fast-food workers around the country have been holding protests to encourage companies and restaurant owners to raise staff pay. Moo Cluck Moo owners Brian Parker and Harry Moorhouse chose to give their ...

Question For Those Content And Making Good Money - Please No Sarcasm
Apr 27, 2011

I ask that you not give me all the negative feedback because I have already read that, and plenty of it.  I get it.  People are frustrated.  I get that.   I am an MT of 5 years.  I went into a different career area because I have a degree in psychology and continued to do MT on the side so I wouldn't lose my skills.  However, personal circumstances at home make it easier for me to work from home, and telecommuting social work is not a career option.  I had ...

Making Enough Money To Live On, Is This Even Possible Anymore Since Everything Is Changing To Voice
May 19, 2012

Voice Recognition - Is Anybody Making Any Money At All On Voice?
Jan 12, 2013

I was wondering, is anybody making any money at all on voice?  I keep hearing just minimum or maybe a little more.  I call minimum wage 7.50 to 8.00 an hour.  My experience with it was at one point I was told that I hadn't made enough for minimum and they had to do make-up pay.  So how is everybody's experience with voice?  I run from it, and I just want to know if anybody really can make an money? Thanks. ...

Money
Mar 29, 2010

Call me greedy, but what can a new MT expect to earn the first couple of months? Based on having plenty of work and working around the clock. I am putting out at least 1100 lines a day for now.  What is considered a good line count? ...

BIG MONEY
Jul 28, 2010

Okay, so I signed on with Transcend because they said, "Do you want to be guaranteed $900 per pay period as full time?" Well, sure. That sure reeled me in. I had always been afraid they ran out of work. Now it turns out that you HAVE to earn $900 IN ORDER TO BE full time. Big difference! It's like saying, "If you win the Olympic gold medal, you'll be guaranteed a first-place finish!" Or, "If you win the election, you'll be guaranteed more votes than your opponent!" It's so ba ...

How Do I Get My Money?!
Nov 21, 2011

Ok, finally, the horrors have happened to me. All was well, but now I'm getting seriously pissed. I work 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. Those hours are mandatory. My pay is equalling less than minimum wage. I e-mailed the company asking them about having to pay me minimum wage given the mandatory hours. The only response I got was "I'll look into it." That was over a week ago. In addition, the platform we use that records our lines is not recording all my jobs! I write down all the job ...

If You're In It Just For The Money, Don't Become An MT
Sep 03, 2012

I've had the same line rate (9 cpl) for 5 years, and I notice the new accounts they offer MTs pay 7.5 or 8 cpl at most. I must admit, though that I do work for a great company (I've been with them 12 years); they offer lots of flexibility (no required shifts or hours, just a reasonable line quota), payment promptly by direct deposit twice a month like clockwork, an easy to use transcription platform and wonderful QA and support staff. I have a lot of job satisfaction, though for my yea ...

More Money
Sep 18, 2012

Do any MTs out there working for MM know how we can all get together and demand more money? they don't listen to us one at a time! ...

I Will Owe Them Money!
Mar 26, 2013

I guess my next check will be a negative amount, since last week I didn't even get 8 hours in and this week thus far, I have only gotten 2 hours in.  Somebody has to pay for my insurance and I am pretty sure they aren't going to cover it at the kindness of their heart.  Beyond frustrated!!! ...

WE WANT MORE MONEY!!!
Oct 01, 2014

I want to know when we are gettiing more money. Not interested in how exciting things are. I just need an email with the exact amount, NOW.  NOTHING ELSE. Don't want it tied into bonus because FIESA is manipulated to prevent bonuses. You did not hear us "loud and clear." WE WANT MORE MONEY. NOW. We don't want to hear about your studies or your excitement or new ways of exploring things in the usual vague Nuance-speak. Just send an email with the amount and the exact d ...

Where Did The Money Go
Jan 13, 2015

Deleted.   ...

Too Much Time Too Little Money
Mar 03, 2010

Is anyone else as sick and tired of the amount of time spent (not being compensated for) reading about all the fluff at MQ during the last 3 years!  I am so out of here.  It's just a matter of time.  Good Bye MT all together.  ...

Where Does The Extra Money Go?
Sep 27, 2010

I assume that the MT companies set up a contract with the client for them to pay on a per-line basis.  Of course, they charge more than they pay us; that's how they make their money & that's fine.  But what I'm wondering is... when we get a report that comes in as VR instead of straight typing, where does the extra money go, since we get paid less for VR.  I feel like I work just as hard, if not harder on VR than typing a report.  So why don't we make ...

Does Anybody Make Any Money At This? Sm
Jan 18, 2011

I've heard of more MTs NOT making any money than making money.  I've worked from home before but had to work full-time from home and part time at the hospital just to pay the bills then ended up quitting at home and went back to the hospital full time because I could make more money working from the hospital 40 hours than working 60 hours between the two.  I loved working from home but I couldn't make any money at it.  But at the time I only had 2 years' ...