A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTs making big money - MT

Posted: May 07, 2013

Just saw some gab on a mt group on facebook (not naming which), stating that people are out there making 800 a week on straight typing. Where are these jobs...I want one. Now I am not saying they do not exist but seriously I thought this was rare. Is it me or... should I be looking harder. No flaming please. This discussion had me thinking that I missed the boat somewhere or someone is telling tales...

I was one of them - Disgusted MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to average over $1000/week, some years even $1200+, but now due to NJA, etc., my pay has been cut in at least half. Oh...the good old days when there was work available and I could make as much or as little as I wanted. I am now SO close to finishing school and getting out of MT for good!

Good luck to you though (yes, I am being sincere).

Uggggg, this is painful. I have heard this... - none

[ In Reply To ..]
kind of thing before. I believe it IF you do emergency room notes, short and fast, big volumes or clinic notes, same description. Otherwise, not happening. I have been in this biz over 30 years. Not calling anyone a liar, just really lucky and don't count on that in your career, not anymore.

I believe she did actually say that was in the old days plus she - is in school now and getting out as it has changed

[ In Reply To ..]
maybe read it wrong?
Original OP yes exactly. - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You are right. I was pulling down 1K or more a week back in the day. When the wages plummeted I went for my masters. Now I am done with my masters, and going for a higher level degree than that. I decided to just go ahead and become a teacher. This way I can enjoy life again and not worry about who makes more or what. I can make some money and enjoy helping kids. So I don't regret going back to school. I am just sorry so many people have to misrepresent the truth on a career which has obviously changed regarding pay scale. I never said nobody makes that kind of money. I meant it is rare and not the norm. As well, it is not the future, so it is wrong to encourage that it can be done for everyone because it cannot. I like the truth.

I'm still one of them - PhillyGurl

[ In Reply To ..]
Work for a local company (online however). Generally make $800-1100 week. Paid 8 cpl. All straight typing.

They're harder and hard to find, but they're there.

I also work for GIS at really crap wages (5 cpl) and usually average $20-28 an hour even at that low pay. Only do them part time but were I to work for them full time, I'd make at least $800 a week.

still here - ICmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a variety of clients and transcribe for one MTSO and average over $800/week. The private clients keep my pay up as the MTSO has more NJA than it used to. All straight transcription.

How else woudl one survive? - Effie

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know how I would survive on less. I don't know how you all do it, when I read the posts of those working for these big companies. I use to make close to $1500 a week but just can't make myself work that hard any more.

Yea, Im sure there are MTs out there making $800 - a week, but I was only

[ In Reply To ..]
ever lucky to make just over $500 a week and considered myself blessed to average just over a $1000 or so a pay-period. I will admit that I turned into a slacker in the end and just had no desire to push myself to earn more. I have since given up and found a job outside of MT after 13 years.

Count me in too - RubySoho

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a very small MTSO that is strictly straight transcription at 8.5 cpl and gross about $800 a week (or more, but it depends on if I have a hopelessly ADD night where my line count suffers) and we're paid weekly.

The good, small/smaller places are out there, MT...as with anything else in life, you just have to dig until you find one.

Good luck to you!

I'm the OP - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am glad to hear you are all doing so well.
I feel like an utter fool for going back to school. I am in student loan debt, I worked for the 2 big companies and just got by, now with one of them and school.
So you are doing so well, as I used to do years ago, and I am going to be sitting with student debt while I make over minimum wage.
I feel like an utter fool.
No Joke.

There's nothing foolish about going back - to school in a down

[ In Reply To ..]
economy, so long as the new career you are aiming for has a longer trajectory and better earning potential than transcription. Don't be so hard on yourself. I think you're doing the right thing. :-)

Me too - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The problem is working for the bigger outfits that have hundreds of doctors where you never get the same one, therefore not being able to set up templates, use expanders as much, etc. I see so many people say how they HAVE to have a full-time position, etc., but then turn around and complain there is no work. My trick over the last 12 years is only doing part-time jobs. I ALWAYS have work coming from one job or the other. I NEVER keep all my eggs in one basket so to speak. I refuse to work a schedule and always have. IC status only...I choose the hours I work. With that...I'm not "choosing" when I work per se...they send me work and I have a TAT as to when I have to have it back. You will find that with part-time companies. Most of these places advertise as part-time because they cannot GUARANTEE full-time each week, but in all cases I have experienced, the work is plentiful. As well, like the other poster said, many people REFUSE to even apply for a job because the cpl pay is "too low," but if it is a great job, at 5 cpl, a person can make $20+ an hour. As I've said time and time and time again, it's thinking outside the box that will help push you ahead through this career. Having a frigid outlook that you HAVE to make 10 cpl or no deal is absolutely the death of many MTs because they think that lower cpl somehow equates to a lower dollar amount per hour, but its just not true. If some people are making 5 cpl, but pulling off $20 to $30 an hour, and another MT is making 10 cpl and not even making minimum wage...why is that so difficult to comprehend for some people? Cpl does not equal dollar per hour...it just doesn't.

I made great money until recently when voice recognition - Took over my job

[ In Reply To ..]
Until VR, I could easily make 1200 to 1500 a week for the hospital I contracted with. Granted, they took care of us. They paid us 10 cpl and weighed the docs. The harder the doc the more money you would make. Once VR kicked in in February, my paycheck went from 1200 to 500 to not using contract employees anymore. This MT is headed back to school. Good luck all!

I still make high hourly wage - MTy

[ In Reply To ..]
Just never enough work to keep me going. It is very frustrating for an MTSO to hire for "full-time" and even say they WON'T accept part-time, but then work available is LESS than part-time.

I don't make minimum wage, because I plain out REFUSE to sit in front of a computer and wait for work and I make it perfectly clear, before I am hired. I work however much work is available and when it runs out, I log out. I have two jobs, so it works okay for me, but no way could I do it with one job.

MTs making big money - Dana

[ In Reply To ..]
I was making close to that, too, until Nuance took over. Now I'm having trouble getting anywhere close.

Similar Messages:

The Q Must Be Making A Lot Of Money Off Me.
Feb 13, 2011

I calculated my hourly pay for this week. Mind you, I gave it all my effort every day this week. Drum roll..... I made $6 per hour. Because we have to be paid at least minimum wage, I get paid $8 per hour. My accounts are 99% ASR. I have been getting paid minimum wage for sometime now. If they weren't making plenty of money off me, they would have let me go some time ago. ...

For Those Making Little Money (or Who've Had A Big Cut In Pay) - Sm
Feb 23, 2012

Day after day, I read comments here about people making less than minimum wage... or women who used to make a solid middle class living at this who now cry when they look at their W2... or who made in 2011 what they made in 1993. I'm curious to know why you continue to put up with this.  What is holding you back from seeking a better situation?  What are your circumstances?  Do you have low self-esteem?  Trapped in Appalachia with 2 hours to the closest hospital?  ...

Making No Money
Aug 31, 2013

I work for a company that I make NO money.  YES, I am seeking other employment, I'm not just sitting there whining about it, but rather just keeping some income while I look for more income.  I have barely had work this week and even when I do have work, the VR system is so bad that I really don't clear minimum wage.  So, today, apparently they are behind and I'm getting emails every hour or so that say "You ladies need to jump in and help, make this money while you can"  I me ...

Woo-hoo Making The Big Money
Jan 02, 2015

worked a whole 1.82 hours yesterday and so far today the same.  Sure hope things pick up fast.  Hardly making ends meet. Cleaned house yesterday so today I guess I'll sit back and read as the house is quiet.  Hope I don't fall asleep.  HA!   ...

Are There Any MMEs Making Money?
Dec 15, 2009

Seriously inquiring as to whether or not there are MMEs out there making what they made when they were just QA.  If so, do you have full listen reports for more than half your day? If so, do you have any helpful hints?  MT/MEs are moving into the MME positions and I feel so bad that they have no idea what they are getting themselves into.  Hope you all make more than me.  As of the new year I will be looking for different employment.  So sad 20 years later and I'm n ...

Anyone Else At Transcend Not Making Any Money?
Feb 07, 2012

I've been at Transcend now since Dec 20th.  My line counts are pathetic.  It's not because of lack of work.  No, it is speed.  I cannot get any speed at all.  For my hours, I have made less than min wage.  When working on Editscript, I got a lot more lines per hour than this, 250-400 editing according to the dictator but never under 250.  On BeyondTXT it is way below that, not exactly sure how much.  It was 180 but it has went down instead o ...

I Know Now Why I'm Not Making Money At Transcend.
Feb 22, 2012

I have been working at Transcend since Dec. 20.  I have not been able to consistently average a good line count.  I was wondering if it was possible for me to get a decent line count.  Well, last night I got several reports in a row of a good dictator that the VR picked up well.  I got 300 lines in an hour for him, which is a lot better than I do on some.  So I know it is possible to do decent BUT I get dictators that are so bad that the VR still won't even pick the ...

Making Decent Money Doing VR
Mar 28, 2012

Just wondering if anyone out there is actually making decent money doing VR as apposed to straight typing? ...

Unemployment - Making More Money
Sep 25, 2012

I keep seeing MTs saying they make more on UE than at work.  Isn't your UE based on what you made prior to applying for UE?  If you make say $400 a week before UE, then UE would be a smaller percentage than $400 a week to the best of my knowledge.  I never thought you would make even as much on UE let alone more.  How does this work?  TIA ...

Line Counts - Anybody Making Any Money Doing This?
Oct 19, 2009

I have been doing about half and half, VR and straight transcription for the past three months - is anybody making any money doing this? My line rate, of course, is half of my regular transcription rate (like that is fair, right?).  I am using all the keyboard shortcuts that I can find and have created some macros, but the bottom line is still that some reports really are bad and even with picking up the speed to 40%, I am just not making any money!  Just venting, I guess.  I was doing 1200 l ...

Fast Chart- Anybody Making Any Money With Them?
May 10, 2010

I keep thinking about applying but have heard they have low pay so I wondered if anyone was making a living on that or happy at Fast Chart. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

Making More Money With VR Than Traditional Typing?
Jun 23, 2010

I saw someone post here that they are making a whole lot more with VR than they ever made with straight transcription. I wonder HOW this is possible.  Could it be that they just were not that fast of a transcriptionist or possibly they just have great VR reports? Anyone else? ...

Question For Those Making More Or Less Money So Far With New Plan. Sm
Dec 22, 2014

What percentage of your work is VR versus straight and did you make out better or worse? Thanks to those who respond.  ...

Radiology Jobs Still Making Decent Money?
Mar 17, 2010

Are there any MT's out there that do Radiology and still have good accounts and are still making decent money???  Just checking, going to lose my biggest account in a few weeks..... ...

I Love Typing For 6 Cpl And Making No Money!!!!! It's Great!
Sep 13, 2010

My account went to VR a few months ago. The docs who cannot do VR because they cannot talk worth a crap still have to be typed. The best part is, instead of making 10 cpl, we now get paid 6 cpl to do it. Basically, I am now making what I made about 11 or 12 years ago. Yeah, yeah…I know company.........you keep telling me how I am actually coming out ahead.  I hear ya, I just don't believe ya! ...

Hey Look, With No Experience At All, I Can Make Much More Money Making Burgers!!!
Sep 14, 2013

Amidst nationwide protests about the minimum wage at fast-food eateries, one burger joint in the Detroit metropolitan area has decided to raise its starting salary to $15. According to the Daily Beast, Moo Cluck Moo, a Michigan eatery, had already been paying employees an unheard of $12 per hour. Fast-food workers around the country have been holding protests to encourage companies and restaurant owners to raise staff pay. Moo Cluck Moo owners Brian Parker and Harry Moorhouse chose to give their ...

Question For Those Content And Making Good Money - Please No Sarcasm
Apr 27, 2011

I ask that you not give me all the negative feedback because I have already read that, and plenty of it.  I get it.  People are frustrated.  I get that.   I am an MT of 5 years.  I went into a different career area because I have a degree in psychology and continued to do MT on the side so I wouldn't lose my skills.  However, personal circumstances at home make it easier for me to work from home, and telecommuting social work is not a career option.  I had ...

Making Enough Money To Live On, Is This Even Possible Anymore Since Everything Is Changing To Voice
May 19, 2012

Voice Recognition - Is Anybody Making Any Money At All On Voice?
Jan 12, 2013

I was wondering, is anybody making any money at all on voice?  I keep hearing just minimum or maybe a little more.  I call minimum wage 7.50 to 8.00 an hour.  My experience with it was at one point I was told that I hadn't made enough for minimum and they had to do make-up pay.  So how is everybody's experience with voice?  I run from it, and I just want to know if anybody really can make an money? Thanks. ...

Money
Mar 29, 2010

Call me greedy, but what can a new MT expect to earn the first couple of months? Based on having plenty of work and working around the clock. I am putting out at least 1100 lines a day for now.  What is considered a good line count? ...

BIG MONEY
Jul 28, 2010

Okay, so I signed on with Transcend because they said, "Do you want to be guaranteed $900 per pay period as full time?" Well, sure. That sure reeled me in. I had always been afraid they ran out of work. Now it turns out that you HAVE to earn $900 IN ORDER TO BE full time. Big difference! It's like saying, "If you win the Olympic gold medal, you'll be guaranteed a first-place finish!" Or, "If you win the election, you'll be guaranteed more votes than your opponent!" It's so ba ...

How Do I Get My Money?!
Nov 21, 2011

Ok, finally, the horrors have happened to me. All was well, but now I'm getting seriously pissed. I work 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. Those hours are mandatory. My pay is equalling less than minimum wage. I e-mailed the company asking them about having to pay me minimum wage given the mandatory hours. The only response I got was "I'll look into it." That was over a week ago. In addition, the platform we use that records our lines is not recording all my jobs! I write down all the job ...

If You're In It Just For The Money, Don't Become An MT
Sep 03, 2012

I've had the same line rate (9 cpl) for 5 years, and I notice the new accounts they offer MTs pay 7.5 or 8 cpl at most. I must admit, though that I do work for a great company (I've been with them 12 years); they offer lots of flexibility (no required shifts or hours, just a reasonable line quota), payment promptly by direct deposit twice a month like clockwork, an easy to use transcription platform and wonderful QA and support staff. I have a lot of job satisfaction, though for my yea ...

More Money
Sep 18, 2012

Do any MTs out there working for MM know how we can all get together and demand more money? they don't listen to us one at a time! ...

I Will Owe Them Money!
Mar 26, 2013

I guess my next check will be a negative amount, since last week I didn't even get 8 hours in and this week thus far, I have only gotten 2 hours in.  Somebody has to pay for my insurance and I am pretty sure they aren't going to cover it at the kindness of their heart.  Beyond frustrated!!! ...

WE WANT MORE MONEY!!!
Oct 01, 2014

I want to know when we are gettiing more money. Not interested in how exciting things are. I just need an email with the exact amount, NOW.  NOTHING ELSE. Don't want it tied into bonus because FIESA is manipulated to prevent bonuses. You did not hear us "loud and clear." WE WANT MORE MONEY. NOW. We don't want to hear about your studies or your excitement or new ways of exploring things in the usual vague Nuance-speak. Just send an email with the amount and the exact d ...

Where Did The Money Go
Jan 13, 2015

Deleted.   ...

Too Much Time Too Little Money
Mar 03, 2010

Is anyone else as sick and tired of the amount of time spent (not being compensated for) reading about all the fluff at MQ during the last 3 years!  I am so out of here.  It's just a matter of time.  Good Bye MT all together.  ...

Where Does The Extra Money Go?
Sep 27, 2010

I assume that the MT companies set up a contract with the client for them to pay on a per-line basis.  Of course, they charge more than they pay us; that's how they make their money & that's fine.  But what I'm wondering is... when we get a report that comes in as VR instead of straight typing, where does the extra money go, since we get paid less for VR.  I feel like I work just as hard, if not harder on VR than typing a report.  So why don't we make ...

Does Anybody Make Any Money At This? Sm
Jan 18, 2011

I've heard of more MTs NOT making any money than making money.  I've worked from home before but had to work full-time from home and part time at the hospital just to pay the bills then ended up quitting at home and went back to the hospital full time because I could make more money working from the hospital 40 hours than working 60 hours between the two.  I loved working from home but I couldn't make any money at it.  But at the time I only had 2 years' ...