A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What I've seen since leaving MT - memt

Posted: May 01, 2012

I recently left the MT field but am in a position where I have to review medical records daily. I've come across mistakes that make me question where they came from... was it a VR report that an editor didn't catch... was it a transcription error... or was it a doctor error. Some of the things I've come across were a statement along the lines of "would've healing well"... I figure this was supposed to be something like "wound is" healing well. I came across a discrepancy between right finger and left finger injury. Another one was where someone was hit in the head and a "trunk" was taken out of his scalp... did you mean "chunk"? The last one I can think of is where the date of injury on the medical record was a month off. It really is interesting to see the mistakes that are present in the final medical record but now seeing it from a different position. I would imagine I view these medical records with a different perspecive than the others in my same position. I realize what has gone into producing that record, whereas the others just see the final product and have no idea that it may have been produced by a computer or maybe even an Indian or Pakastanian typed it who doesn't even understand the English language. I am spreading the word about offshoring when given the opportunity. I don't think anyone I've mentioned it to was aware of it.

I've NEVER seen someone aware of it - AnonToo

[ In Reply To ..]
Where I work it's not uncommon for a doctor to dictate the social security number AND ADDRESS of someone on a preadmit H&P. We *do* offshore and this stuff is out there. Let alone the date of birth which is always dictated. I don't think the doctors even realize how crappy some of this stuff is transcribed, but on the other hand if they want to pay minimum wage or less for something they sign and is something they need to back them in court..I guess that's the dealio.

At the hospital I work for, the doctor - need-a-vacation

[ In Reply To ..]
can go in and change reports. I recall going back to check on one and saw an added sentence with capital letters where they didn't belong, a period was missing, and a body part was spelled incorrectly. My name was on the report but the audit trail showed the doctor had changed the report. Anyone viewing this report would probably blame the MT.

Another thing I've noticed with the same account is they must be using VR in admitting or the ER because some of the fields we don't fill in, like admitting diagnosis, have strange errors, for instance, internal jungle vein trombones is. That error shows up on every report generated on that patient.

Voice recognition software at fault - GrammyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of those type errors that I have seen are caused by voice recognition software.

These same doctors are so picky when there is an MT to blame, but when it is a software package, it is "acceptable?" I sure don't understand it.

records - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I love that you don't want to pound home that sometimes US MTs are inept. They are sometimes. Many who THINK they are wonderful, are not. You say you have no clue how this record was produced. I find it wrong that you assume you now need to educate about offshoring because a record was not accurate. I see mistakes like this all the time -- done by US MTs.

I have to agree - AnonToo

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked part time for a small service, now she's got 100 employees. I did QA. Most of our transcriptionists lived on the Gulf in Mississippi and I would say MOST OF THEM would type "The patient was walking at the GOLF" all the time. They could not seem to get their/they're/there in their heads. I have seen "tale of the pancreas" and when corrected over and over (different people) it was still tale. I finally sent a massive memo to ALL of them that there is no TALE of the pancreas unless there is a STORY of the spleen (with the owner's blessing). Some of these were CMTs. I think also most of them were doing this job (we had no set hours) in between child care and attention was not on the job. I was the ONLY one that had any in house experience. I left because of the fact that it seemed like the only thing that mattered was getting the reports out, not being remotely accurate..but the company continues to grow and she most definitely does NOT offshore or can afford SR.

Sadly, yes. I'm sure I'm not the only one wincing at - the incompetence displayed here in many posts. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

sadly, I also have to agree - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
we are fond of thinking that those offshore don't speak good English, but the stuff I see coming from US MTs is just plain sad.

This is the reason I quit QA and went back to transcribing - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]
Got so tired of banging my head against the wall with MTs who had years of experience (10-20+ years for some) and thought that made them immune to making errors. I'm talking simple English grammar, punctuation, and spelling that we all learned in 3rd grade. Heaven forbid I tried to correct them though!

And you can forget about them being willing to learn a new medical word or procedure. If I heard "that's now how I learned it 15 years ago" or "that's not how we did it before" one more time I think I would have killed someone. Folks -- things change & new things are discovered every day!!

OK, rant over :-) Glad I'm not the only one who gets discouraged by some of the crap I see from American MTs.

My recent experience - countryMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I transcribed a report. Blanks in report because of skips in dictation. Doctor just took out blanks and left incomplete sentences throughout. When someone looks at the report, who are they going to blame? Me. The person whose initials are at the bottom. Certainly not the doc.

Ouch! You need to get yourself on the record in writing - about this happening. Mercifully,

[ In Reply To ..]
my company has finally changed the system to record each person in a record and changes made. It's been a long time coming. Some time ago I was blamed for a critical plus sloppy errors entered in a report (a style of errors I never make, so obvious to me), by whom I don't know, but like you mine was the name on the system.

Front end voice recognition - aventurinegreen

[ In Reply To ..]
While dressing in a locker room at my local health club, I overheard a conversation. This woman (job?) was disgusted because no one proofs what the doctors dictate via voice recognition. It goes into the record exactly as recorded. I caught up to this woman and asked if they didn't have editors. She said no they didn't. She did not want to give me the name of hospital or clinic. Maybe that's where your reports are coming from.

What I have seen also - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
I will have to agree. What I see during editing is sad. Patients are listed as male but female in the body of report, incorrect spellings, medication errors (enough to kill the patients, right versus left incorrect, and do not even get me started on grammar and punctuation. I have 96 physicians as clients, and yes they do care about grammar and punctuation and do recognize when you correct their spelling and verbs as well and appreciate it very much.

Similar Messages:

QC Leaving?? Leaving More Work For MTs?
Jun 14, 2015

Sorry QC was put on the grid and suffering losses (like we have), but from my point of view the more of them leave, the more work left for us.  Isn't that horrible we are reduced to feeling that way about our co-workers??? Some QC say they are not allowed to do MT unless the account is behind, some say they are allowed when they run out of work.   From the length of time we have been suffering from OOW I have to believe they can and do jump in on our work when out of QC ...

Leaving MQ
Mar 14, 2010

Can someone please tell me how long it takes to get 401K after leaving MQ.  I have had it.  I believe the dictators I am getting were hand picked for me, I can barely make minimum wage.   I know this has been asked before, but please answer. ...

Leaving MQ?
Jun 14, 2010

I've been sending out resumes almost daily for close to 8 months now.  I've also been on at least 20 interviews but once they actually realize I've been working at home for almost 20 years, I don't get any job offers because they "want office experience."   I've been so depressed with so many medical offices turning up their noses at me because I've been working from home.  I'm quite sure I probably know termin ...

Leaving WMX ? Re Last Pay
Sep 21, 2010

I am leaving WMX and wondered if they hold last pay until they receive their equipment back? Anybody in this position? Thanks! ...

Leaving The Q.
Jul 20, 2011

Just wanted to add my voice to the growing chorus of long-timers leaving the Q finally. The account I worked on for 15 years just up and vanished Monday - without a word to any of us. I applied for, and got, a job offer within minutes of sending my resume. I know MQ has beaten us all down over the years, but there are actually other companies and people who appreciate our abilities and stamina to say with such a company for so many years in spite of it all :) ...

Not Sad To Be Leaving The Q,
Sep 10, 2011

I've been cleaning out my office to start a new job soon, and I came across some things from the good old days, i.e., before the Q.  I found email certificates my first CCM from 10 years ago sent when I kicked it line count and quality-wise.  She didn't have to do that, but back then, we got respect as much as we gave it (I was HS back then).  I also found some old pay stubs from when I was a tier 1 and just getting into the routine.  I now make 1/6 of what I did wh ...

To Those Leaving MT
Sep 13, 2012

Curious, as to those getting out of MT, where are you going? I am soooo dissatisfied with this profession today. My wages are half what they were hourly only 4 years ago (VR for me is not profitable). The account specs get more and more complicated and you have to work on at least 5 or 6 accounts to keep work. Add in the hard to understand accents (I mean can't even understand the dictator's name half the time) and the left off demographics, and it is a recipe for low, low wages. I liv ...

I'm Leaving
Sep 20, 2012

Since ASR and off-shoring came along I have been wanting to leave the industry and after 5 years of procrastinating I finally took the plunge.  I have been applying and interviewing and after turning down two offers from different companies I finally accepted a position a couple days ago as a nurse aide with 1/2 hr lunch which food is provided, two 10 minute breaks, every other weekend off, every other holiday off (time and a half pay when I do work holidays), $.30/hr extra weekend pay, 4% ...

Leaving MT! Got Another Job!
Oct 26, 2012

I just got a job working for a Medical Records company.  I will be attaching scanned medical records into the EMR.  I am so thrilled I won't have to sit at my computer waiting all day for work to come in to make little money.  For those of you that are looking to get out of MT, it can be done.  Don't give up. ...

So Now Leaving A Mg Off A Med
Dec 27, 2014

That just seems weird. I get if it's supposed to be mcg and you put mg, something doctors often do in their dictation, but leaving off the mg, 3.0? They are really digging deep into every document to find the means to which to cut our pay. I could never do QA/QC with this company, too nasty. We are perpetual victims, but they have become the freaking Spanish Inquisition. Honestly. ...

Leaving, Not Sure Where But Cannot Take It Any More
Mar 08, 2015

Left this company once before, to another company that was worse, if you can believe that and I will say their name Pre____. You should get it figured out. What has happened with this switchover from Enterprise 5 to Editscript 11 is beyond belief. I'm the one who cannot pend reports, have reached out to everyone and anyone I can think of including IT solution center multiple multiple multiple times and this is falling on deaf ears. My TSM tells me to work on the Editscript account full we ...

To Those Leaving The MT Field
Mar 01, 2010

How long do you think MT'ing will be around?   I'm going back to school to become a social worker, something i've always wanted to do, and need the income while i'm in school.  In fact, today was my first day.  Its an online course and it will take some adjusting, but I feel its time.  I'm following a dream, MT'ing was supposed to be temporary but it is such a cushy job, who would want to leave it?   I think the problem is, there ...

Thinking About Leaving MT, But...
Mar 02, 2010

I am not sure what jobs to apply for as I have only worked as a medical transcriptionist for over 10 years.  I guess I am wondering if my skills as an MT only would make me more hireable in any other medical profession, or is it just looking at Walmart for me now, lol  TIA for any advice. ...

Leaving MQ 2 W/o Notice What Can They Do?
Mar 21, 2010

Does anyone know if MQ can take some of your check that is due to arrive, already approved, if we suddenly just quit and leave?  What can they do if we don't give a 15-30 day notice?????  How soon do they want their old computer back?  Any information about leaving without notice is really appreciated!!!!  ...

Question For The 50-ish And Up Leaving MT
Apr 06, 2010

I'm curious.  To those of you who are choosing not to go back to school for other training--my reason is I only have 7 years until retirement--and want to get the heck out of MT, what have you decided to do instead?  Any and all ideas welcome, unless it involves adding and subtracting or building bridges or tunnels. ...

Guess I Am Not Leaving
Jun 25, 2010

Got an E-mail (isn't that personal, but better than nothing, I guess) that my old hospital has decided not to fill the position "at this time," but will keep my resume for future reference.  New clothes, pedicure, and a lot of stress for nothing.  So my MQ job is looking a lot better today. . .  Maybe next time.  ...

Thinking Of Leaving TT....
Sep 28, 2010

I like TT for the most part but I am not making enough money to pay my bills.  Their VR pay is so low so I am thinking of going somewhere else.  But isn't VR pay low everywhere?  I hate to go somewhere else and it's worse.  Their insurance is horrible too.  My providers in my area are on their network so I am basically paying for nothing. ...

Leaving MT For Walmart?
Dec 13, 2010

I have way too much time on my hands today so I thought I would ask this question.  Has anyone left the MT profession and went to work at Walmart, a pharmacy, drug store, or any other store?  Will they hire us since we have been an MT for 10+ years?  What about factory jobs, you know the light duty assembly kind?  Have any of you had any luck getting hired in anything other than as an MT without going back to school? ...

For Those Of You Thinking Of Leaving
Mar 04, 2012

If you put your supervisor down as a reference, it's "against company policy" for them to answer any questions about you.  All those times you went the extra mile for this place were for nothing. ...

Leaving For New Job - How Much Notice?
Jun 21, 2012

Well, I am officially hired for a great new position - elsewhere of course - a partly in-house/and partly work from home place that seems to actually still be paying a decent wage to their transcriptionists.  Anyway, it all came about kind of suddenly and they need someone immediately, but not sure about how much notice to give to the service.  Any thoughts?  ...

Leaving Transcription
Jul 30, 2012

I have the chance to take a job doing social work for the county in which I live.  I will be taking a pay cut that I can't really afford and I'm scared to death there will be budget cuts (as is happening in all government agencies), but there is also the chance there won't be cuts to this department and there will be chances for advancement, which I'm not seeing in transcription any longer.  How have you that have left gotten the strength to take the leap into the new and u ...

Advice About Leaving
Nov 16, 2012

I do not want to continue working here. I do not even want to sign in today.  Can't say why b/c I do not want my identity given away.  But I just was put in CA and do not want to sign in anymore. I just  give up.  I will not put this job on my resume. Will there be any repercussions... I just give up. :(. Thanks for the advice. Please no flaming. I have had enough flaming and threats at this job to last a lifetime. :(. ...

Supervisor Leaving
Jan 16, 2013

Thank God the anal, basket case, nutjob supervisor I have is leaving.  No more phone calls every time I go to the bathroom.  Hope I don't get something worse than her. ...

Before Leaving Nuance Think Of This...
Jan 29, 2013

I know some peoplea are going to slam me but so be it.   I just ask those talking about leaving to consider the following while making your decision:  1.  Will the next employer guarantee you won't run out of work or pay you for downtime if you do? 2.  Do they give you 401(k) matching at the same level Nuance does or better? 3.  Do they pay you the average hourly wage you make for vacation/sick days or do they limiit your dollar amount, even if you normally earn ...

Question About Leaving
May 22, 2013

I have another job offer so thankfully my days here at Nuance will be numbered.  The new job wants me to start yesterday as they have a huge need, and I want to move away from here faster than you can imagine,  but someone told me without 2 week notice that Nuance won't pay my PTO.    Not being one to leave over a week's pay on the table,  I'd like to find out has anyone who left had them take away PTO,  or is this a dirty nuance trick to get me ...

Where Do MTs Go From Here? Anybody Had Success Leaving?
Jul 09, 2013

With the MT business completely flushed down the toilet to nonexistence, where does an experienced MT go when this certification means absolutely nothing in the job market these days?? ...

What Have You Turned To Once Leaving MT
Jun 25, 2014

Just wondering what those of you who have chosen to leave the MT field entirely and go into some other business have found to do when you've been doing MT for 30 years?  I'm not asking you to tell me which company/field specifically (not looking to swipe your job, etc.) but just wanted to see what else is out there that one of us has found easy to transition to, etc.  My goal was to quit MT and start making custom-made cat furniture/trees but that has gotten put on the back b ...

I'm Leaving! Today Is My Last Day!
Oct 03, 2014

So today is my last day!  ...

What? Shaw Is Leaving Us?
Mar 04, 2015

a "Senior Vice President of Coding Solutions" as well as a whole host of other suit promotions and departures. ...

28 + Year MLS Leaving MT
Mar 30, 2015

I received a phone call today for an interview at my local Wal-Mart.  They have increased the hiring wage to $1.00 per hour above my state's minimum wage.  I was shocked and appalled to see my hourly salary on my last pay check stub - that being $9.50 per hour.  The stress and worry and anxiety in this field has finally caught up with me.  I could handle the ESL, the poor sound quality - the ups and downs of no work, being called to work extra - unpaid meetings, being sw ...