A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

from recent post: Medical Industry Lies About Medications And Treatments. - will you elaborate on this, please? N/M

Posted: Nov 14, 2009

nm

it's the Shocking Revelations post by Alice below; there is - nothing shocking or relevant about her post. N/M

[ In Reply To ..]
N/M

revealing, I mean. - N/M

[ In Reply To ..]
N/M

Elaboration on previous post - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
What I was referring to before is the practice of medicine being big business just as the medical records portion of this industry is big business. The business of medical records is just part of the entire picture. It's no big revelation. Profit is the #1 concern. "They" do whatever it takes to turn a profit, and this includes deception, oftentimes totally legal.

Pharmaceutical companies and medical professionals don't always tell the truth. Sometimes they are directed as to what or how much information they can share with you. Other times, they are trained, truthfully or not, by pharmaceutical salespeople. At any rate, don't ever be fooled into thinking that the reason why you are offered this treatment or that treatment or this drug or that drug is solely because it is the best choice for you, because it may not be the best choice for YOU, but the best choice for the PROVIDER. Again, this is not new stuff.

Anywhere there's a buck to be made, there's likely to be a little sales "puffing" going on.

Take the treatment of diabetes as an example. Let's say there's a remedy for it that does not involve pharmaceuticals, glucometers, test strips, etc., etc. It isn't likely we'll hear about it, because it will interfere with the money making.

I just found out today that white flour contains an ingredient that contributes directly to the development of diabetes. Who would have thought? Apparently, this is not a new discovery; it's just the first time I heard about it. The ingredient is called alloxan, btw, and it apparently destroys the beta cells of the pancreas.

I mean, I've heard that white flour and white sugar are unhealthy, but the last time I visited in the hospital, the main type of bread served to all patients including diabetics was white bread.

Now, if the medical industry has the patients' welfare as the #1 consideration, why would they be feeding hospitalized patients this stuff?

Of course, there's the bottom line to consider. White bread is cheap. Profit is of most importance.

As MTs, the only thing we have control over is how we allow others to treat us. We can never assume that anyone of them is being honest with us, though.

I still love being an MT. It sure beats being the only RN on a floor with 90 patients, and a total of only four of us working on a weekend night shift. WHEW... I wouldn't go back to doing that for any amount of money.

thanks - N/M
[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Similar Messages:

Medical Coding - Leaving The Transcription Industry
Dec 12, 2010

I wanted to ask anyone out there how to go about leaving the transcription industry (11 years in) and going into medical coding.  Do any of you know of a bridge over program at any of the institutes?  I got my education at a community college that is nationally accredited so I can transfer credits.  Just curious before I start really looking.  Thanks ...

Potential Major Development For The Medical Transcription Industry - Sm
Apr 29, 2015

Dr. Wyatt, a physician affiliated with The Joint Commission, just released an article recommending that the TJC become involved in helping to create new standards and protocols for the medical transcription industry.  His article addressed the vast majority of the issues that negatively impact the dictation/transcription process and the need to fix these problems because of their potential for jeopardizing patient safety.  Among the many things mentioned in the article that he feels ne ...

Re: "support Our Industry" Post Below
Mar 07, 2010

Maybe I am missing something here, and I appreciate anyone who can educate me on this, but from what I understand, the term "meaningful use" pertains to the degree to which health information technology (HIT) is used in a meaningful and correct way with respect to the electronic health record (EHR).   Institutions who achieve the soon-to-be-defined standard would qualify for limited-time  incentive payments from Medicare/Medicaid.    This has nothing wha ...

LIES?
May 29, 2014

What happened to this thing was smart and would adapt? I thought they said it was crucial that we fix the errors so they would become permanent? I have had this one dictator for months when she says "see nurse's discharge instructions sheet" for medications, it comes up with some like, one pill b.i.d. FOR MONTHS! How long does it take? Also, does anyone else have headings popping up wherever they feel like when they are not even being said? One other thing, so, when a doctor takes fo ...

Septin Treatments?
Apr 07, 2010

She was seen by Dr. Blank last week after completing her chemotherapy and radiation.  She is going to begin her s/l septin treatment in three weeks.  I haven't heard of this before ...

Accentus Lies
Oct 15, 2012

They advertise that there is NO VR work, it's all straight typing.  LMAO! "All work is straight typing, no VR.  VR is all they have except for a few reports every now and then who have not figured out how to upload VR.   ...

Misinformation, Rumors And Lies
May 10, 2010

I am a current TTS employee and I started out there as an IC MT.  I am continually amazed at the malicious gossip that is spread on this board about TTS.  Editors and QA personnel do not take work from the MTs, we're asked to step on to help out if there is a high backlog.  If we want to work after our hourly-rate-of-pay shift is over, we have to ask permission from the shift leads, just like anyone else.  There's no "double dip" going on, we work an hourl ...

Sounds Like Sobernaud Treatments
Nov 22, 2010

"She has been diagnosed with meningioma and has had five saubernaud treatments. " Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks so much! ...

Dermatology Laser Treatments
Dec 19, 2011

Dermatologist doing skin laser treatments refers to s/l "genta" laser 16 j/cm2...TIA ...

Tall Tales And Lies...SM
Mar 05, 2012

Today I had a QA person tell me that HIPAA requires that all transcribed documents need to have a score of 98% or better.  She says "it's the law".  I can see a MTSO requiring 98%, but seriously doubt this is a HIPAA violation, more likely a Joint Commission requirement when they audit the hospital.  If this was the case, why even do an audit of 3-5 transcribed documents and do an average score.  They could just keep track of every time you went below 98% and count em up ...

Screwed Again. More Lies. Transcend PTO Rate For End Of Year
Jan 12, 2013

Why even bother assuring us we would receive our Transcend PTO rate for that last period and then not honor it.   I still hear those words "this is an exciting time for Transcend."  Exciting?  This has turned into a nightmare. ...

PT To Cervical Spine, Left Shoulder, Both Hands.Treatments:Traction Infrared, Paraffin, *starax, Mat
Mar 22, 2012

nm ...

Dermatology Note - (s/l) "field" Treatments Nm
Oct 01, 2010

x ...

Anyone Receive A Reply From The Transcription Doctors Job Post On Their Post For Editscript MTs?
Mar 24, 2010

nm ...

Orthopedic Surgery, Is It Perineal Post Or Peroneal Post? NM
Feb 10, 2012

xx ...

Two Medications
Jan 28, 2010

I have two medications I can't figure out...first one sounds like "avencia" and the other one sounds like "sulfazolin" - - any ideas??? * The patient has/had  rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes zoster, atrial fibrillation,   high cholesterol, hypertension and large B-cell lymphoma.   Thanks!!! ...

2 Medications.
Aug 17, 2010

s/l pluridol IM s/l syamedrol   Need confirmation on spelling. Thanks! ...

Medications S/l Grosbag
May 16, 2010

medication that s/l grosbag. ...

AIDS Medications
Sep 23, 2010

Does anyone know of a good reference website for antiretroviral meds? TIA! :) ...

S/l Ruvella (under Medications) Nm
Oct 04, 2010

Ruvella or Rivella ...

Best Site To Look Up Medications?
Dec 26, 2010

for spelling etc... ...

In List Of Medications
Jun 27, 2011

s/l bindestradiol transpatch every 24 hours.  Cannot verify the "bind" part.  TIA. ...

Medications: NROS
Jan 23, 2012

It's a new one on me and it's not even in the acronym finder web site.  Any help is appreciated. ...

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of RSM Medications
Dec 20, 2012

I have a report where EMS arrived at a home where someone was unresponsive.  Sounds like she said "They administered RSM medications and intubation with good bilateral breath sounds.I cannot find RSM anywhere ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

Past History: Medications:
Dec 08, 2009

Seizure "s/l seizure in section" X 1. ...

1, Possibly 2 Medications, And Spelling Help Please?
Aug 04, 2010

Not sure of the spelling for either.  Also, not sure if these are 2 separate medications or if they should be separated by a comma.  Any help is appreciated. Also, if you are familiar, please indicate whether they are brand or generic meds.    amiodipine danazopril oral ...

100 Most Popular Medications And Dosages
Jul 13, 2013

Does anyone know where I could find a list of the top 100 medications prescribed and their dosages?  Maybe one of you have such a list.  Hopeful! ...

Incorrectly Pronounced Medications
Apr 20, 2015

How many of you leave blanks when medications are not pronounced correctly? Or fill in because you are sure of what medication it is supposed to be? I've seen QC and QA fill in the medication when it was badly mispronounced. Example: Methylprednisone for methylprednisolone (there is no methylprednisone).   ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Website To Look Up Medications?
Jan 17, 2010

nm ...