A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Tall tales and lies...SM - Old Anon

Posted: Mar 05, 2012

Today I had a QA person tell me that HIPAA requires that all transcribed documents need to have a score of 98% or better.  She says "it's the law".  I can see a MTSO requiring 98%, but seriously doubt this is a HIPAA violation, more likely a Joint Commission requirement when they audit the hospital.  If this was the case, why even do an audit of 3-5 transcribed documents and do an average score.  They could just keep track of every time you went below 98% and count em up, then say when you reach 10, you're outta there.  Apparently one of my documents went below 98% and she was trying to put a "scare" into me and made up a tall story.  Maybe she even believes it.

say what? - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Why would ANYONE believe that?

It illustrates the dumbing-down of the QA position. - "IQs over 70 need not apply".

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Well might as well get ready to - close shop then

[ In Reply To ..]
Based on the number of complaints I see coming in from QA coach that are distributed "team wide"...complaints coming in from the customer's that or either forwarded or ones that she is sharing - Doesn't sound like they are all at 98% to me.

Complaints of the customer getting reports that dont make since probably because people are working so hard to make their line counts they are missing stuff with VR and all sorts of other things.

If 98% accuracy is the law, then they need to keep people on the same accounts ie. 3-4 primaries and thats it. Give those folks a chance to learn the docs and work types.

There is no reason anyone should have to type more than 3-4 accounts unless there is no work.

QA errors - Another MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I wholeheartedly agree with what was said, and I have gone through a lot of reports as an MT and looked them over and noticed that they were horrible. The English spelling and medical spelling is horrible!! I wonder how it even passes inspection at all!!!! I know for a fact that the QA where I work have put what they think the blank means, when it is not correct at all. I went over a report that they corrected and then listened to the doctor again..I had correctly put down what he said, and that was not even a blank, and QA put what they thought it was. I was fuming, but this happens all of the time. There is not one company where I have not run into this, and I know there are some good QA people out there. I was a supervisor for a major MTSO and they decided to put a very poor MT in as QA, and I said you've got to be kidding; she can't even spell correctly. After that she started coming down on the MTs in a big way and still incorrectly telling them what was wrong. She had a poor attitude. This happens sometimes with QA, and they can really make an MTs life miserable if they cross their path in the wrong way.

Apparently your particular QA person either thinks MTs are - Geez!

[ In Reply To ..]
morons or she herself is a complete moron. If you would like, I have a checklist we used when I was transcription supervisor. It is basically a list of what the joint commission auditor looks for when auditing a chart. You could send that to your QA department and educate them.

The focus is on proper signatures, dates, and times on documentation, was the H&P dictated within 30 days of the admission and if not, was it redictated when the patient was admitted. Does the H&P contain certains headings, i.e. chief complaint, HPI, social history, family history, review of systems, physical exam, impression and plan.

The auditor does NOT read entire reports and check for errors nor does HIPAA address quality scores. HIPAA is for protecting patient's health information and not so much concerned with accuracy per se.

Don't get me wrong, accuracy is of the utmost importance, but to threaten the MT legalese is just underhanded tactic to scare the MT into compliance. Unfortunately scare tactics are a poor motivation tool and your QA person is a complete fool.

Put her in her place.

Re: It illustrates... - Absolutely right.

[ In Reply To ..]
That idiot QA thinks she is being clever and intimidating the MT with her nonsense. The MT should document and be vigilant in reporting her to higher-ups.

That would be me...SM - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The "higher ups" are even worse than she is. There is no one to complain to.

Similar Messages:

LIES?
May 29, 2014

What happened to this thing was smart and would adapt? I thought they said it was crucial that we fix the errors so they would become permanent? I have had this one dictator for months when she says "see nurse's discharge instructions sheet" for medications, it comes up with some like, one pill b.i.d. FOR MONTHS! How long does it take? Also, does anyone else have headings popping up wherever they feel like when they are not even being said? One other thing, so, when a doctor takes fo ...

Doing A Report On A 95 Foot Tall Woman - And It Is Randomly
Sep 28, 2013

nm ...

Slender Body Habitus, S/l Eight Tall Days Chest X-ray
Mar 23, 2011

Slender body habitus, s/l eight tall days chest x-ray. Slender cardiac silhouette. ...

Accentus Lies
Oct 15, 2012

They advertise that there is NO VR work, it's all straight typing.  LMAO! "All work is straight typing, no VR.  VR is all they have except for a few reports every now and then who have not figured out how to upload VR.   ...

Misinformation, Rumors And Lies
May 10, 2010

I am a current TTS employee and I started out there as an IC MT.  I am continually amazed at the malicious gossip that is spread on this board about TTS.  Editors and QA personnel do not take work from the MTs, we're asked to step on to help out if there is a high backlog.  If we want to work after our hourly-rate-of-pay shift is over, we have to ask permission from the shift leads, just like anyone else.  There's no "double dip" going on, we work an hourl ...

Screwed Again. More Lies. Transcend PTO Rate For End Of Year
Jan 12, 2013

Why even bother assuring us we would receive our Transcend PTO rate for that last period and then not honor it.   I still hear those words "this is an exciting time for Transcend."  Exciting?  This has turned into a nightmare. ...

From Recent Post: Medical Industry Lies About Medications And Treatments.
Nov 14, 2009

nm ...

Pt To Be Taken Off Toprol And Put On S/l "Mess Tall" For Palpitations And Chest Discomfort
May 20, 2010

d ...