A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I just started working for a company with VR - lm

Posted: Oct 17, 2011

I started working for a company 2 weeks ago and it's about 99% VR, so I just edit all day.  Sometimes I would rather type it because it would be faster than editing. Other times it is faster to just edit it. The problem is, it is going to take at least the length of the recording to get the job done either way, but with VR I'm being paid only 4 cents a line.  It's the same work for less than half the pay I had before with straight typing. I just calculated up what I made in the last 2 weeks and it is pathetic. How can I increase my productivity and pay with this arrangement?

Wish I could help, but . . . - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm facing the same problem as you very shortly. I've been working for the same company for 3 years, straight transcription only, earning a reasonable paycheck. They are now converting all their accounts to VR, and the writing is on the wall, so I plan to get out. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm looking. I don't want to do VR for peanuts, and won't. It's either straight transcription or a new field altogether. It's been a good few years, but my company is now going down the VR toilet too.

Why do people put up with this VR crap? - NUTS

[ In Reply To ..]
I will never, under any circumstances, give in to VR and $.04 a line for my skills. I can't imagine why qualified, intelligent MTs are wasting their time making below minimum wage to do this crap work.

The two companies I work for at the moment have ditched VR in the past couple of years. Everyone quit! I put up with it for about 4 months when I realized the VR technology was not there, all of the reports required retyping, and the ONLY entity who derived any benefit from this oversold piece of crap technology was the MTSO - they got to pay everyone below minimum wage and sold us a big story that we'd make much more money, at least the same money, but they forgot to tell us we'd have to work 16-hour days to make the same money.

Anyway, both companies decided the technology wasn't there and ditched it. If they EVER go back I'll quit immediately. Editing is tedious, boring, physically challenging on the hands, and completely thankless work.

Don't put up with this crap and BS about VR!

Totally agree - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I won't do VR either. My company is mostly VR but I refuse to do it. I have a nice typing account and if it goes to VR, I will look elsewhere for work, probably not in this field. It is funny you said your company ditched it. Most companies are thrilled to make a fortune off it while their employees suffer. It never was and never will be a good thing, no matter who says it is. Unfortunately, the hospitals seem to only care about making huge profits too and don't care about us. The VR scam has taken hold of the industry and I hope I am around when it falls in on them. Of course, I won't be doing it, but just want to be alive when it blows up in their faces. People are too scared to refuse to do it. I can understand we all need jobs but that is not a job, it is a scam. If the day comes that I have to do it or keep my job, well I guess I will hit the pavement. Unfortunately, there are not enough people to put their feet down and refuse to do it.
Just say no - I agree - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
You are so right about putting your foot down, and that's what I'm doing at my company. I'll continue straight typing as I am. Supposedly all our accounts our going to VR, so I guess I'll be hitting the road soon. I've already told them I won't tolerate a cut in my paycheck of any kind and will be out the door if that happens. I hope others will do the same.
too bad - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
everybody doesn't refuse to do it. That is the reason why the companies are getting away with it. People are scared to stand up for themselves and be fired. In my opinion, I would rather be fired than to do work that will cause me to lose my house or whatever. Besides that, they won't have to fire me if I am forced to do VR, I will quit. People are on here complaining about their paychecks and having to give up so much, yet they still worry about keeping a job like that. Makes no sense to me.
Makes no sense to whine and cry and lose - NUTS
[ In Reply To ..]
your house, car and livelihood to make $5 an hour just because you're scared to make a move. To me, $5 an hour, even $10 an hour, is not worth my time and efforts, especially if you're working for a company that consistently runs out of work! I guess if you're only working to make McDonald's money it's acceptable, but if you're the head of household, like myself, this is absolutely not acceptable and will not bend to this. My family deserves much more than this.

While doing VR for a few months, I worked on ONE account that was VR acceptable. The other 5 or 6 accounts were absolutely NOT VR acceptable and never changed a bit over that 5-month period of time as far as easier editing is concerned. They all still needed to be retyped at half my pay.

It's terribly disturbing that people just give in and settle for a less than minimum wage job, or take a 50% pay cut! Are you kidding me?

Oh, and my supervisor finally admitted that editing never did provide faster results, the editors never did increase production over time (any faster than straight typing), and they did not have faster turnaround times because the technology was so poor. These are the reasons they went back to straight typing. If you're a good, fast transcriptionist, not the 45-word-a-minute transcriptionist, don't put up with this crap!
To IM - you have not received any answers, but I will try - VR MT
[ In Reply To ..]
There are so many variables that what works for one MT on VR will not necessarily work for another. Having said that, I have the same doctors many times throughout they day, so I know pretty much what they are going to say at many points in the dictation. Those spots are easy because if they are not correct, I have them in my expanded type and simply delete what is there and insert the correct text. I don't know if that is possible for you.

Also, at some lull in the dictation, use that opportunity to read ahead and look for changes that you know are going to have to be made.

Lastly, you say the report will take as long as the audio anyway. If you have a pretty good dictator, one that you are used to, you might try kicking up the speed of the voice a little. You can't do this on all reports, but there are some you can get through much quicker by doing that. If you find yourself waiting for the voice to catch up to where you are, that would definitely be a plus.

Hope this helps some. Like I said, it is different for different MTs so you have to use every tool at your disposal, even your expanded type, to make it quicker for you. Good luck!
Hmm - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
maybe our answers only show up on our screens.
The solution to my VR dilemma - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
I posted above that my company is in the process right now of converting all its accounts to VR - well, I just solved my problem. I was just offered a job with a company offering an HOURLY rate (and a pretty decent one). It's not transcription, but it utilizes all my MT skills plus my past management background. I am so excited! Just saying NO to VR can work -there are other opportunities out there if you pursue them.

Similar Messages:

Started Working For A Company 2 Weeks Ago And
Mar 10, 2011

so, what do you think?  I started working with them 2 weeks ago and at first, you have to pend all your work to QA which I have been doing and I haven't heard anything from anyone.  Every other company I have worked with send you QA feedback so you know if you are on track or not.  I am just worried that this place is shady and when it comes time to get paychecks, I will have a hard time. ...

I Just Started With A New Company And
Jan 21, 2014

I am totally worn out.  I have never in my life worked so hard for so little money.  They nit-pick everything to death and there are so many pages of instructions that you just can't remember everything.  I don't know how these companies expect us to manage a gazillion accounts, each with different directions, etc., but they do.  McDonald's is looking better all the time. ...

To The Lady That Started Her Own Company
May 17, 2010

You know who you are. You even asked questions on this board about setting up an MT company.   You have even stopped answering/reading e-mails, even though I have not harrassed you or have even been nasty.  I would, however, like to get paid.  Your excuses that you are waiting for lines counts from the client and that you will keep me updated is wearing thin.  Surely you must have line counts by now since the work was done in February.  Or is it because you have spe ...

Our Company Just Started Using A Voice Recognition Program
Jul 11, 2010

Our company just started using a voice recognition program.  Obviously, we get paid LESS PER LINE for reports doing it this way. The way I see it - this is a way to pay MTs LESS than they are worth.  Of course, there is less typing, but with the voice recognition program I use, I feel like it would be faster for me to just type the dang report than make all of the corrections, medical, grammar, etc. ...

Would You Stay With Your Company If They Started Sending Some Work Overseas?
May 11, 2012

My company has begun, one by one, sending accounts overseas.  We only have one account left being typed by those of us in the US, and I imagine that one is going over there soon.  They lie to us about where the work is going or tell us that there's just not a lot coming in.  But MT's can go into each job typed and also see the amount of work coming in.  It's obvious that the jobs are now being typed by people whose first language is not English.  I'm ...

Working For More Than 1 Company?
Feb 07, 2011

I know a lot of you work for two different companies.  But what about 3?  Those of you who do, can you handle it.  I am finally hearing from all these companies I applied to and I was thinking maybe I should work for 3 that way, I will hopefully always have work. ...

Experience Working For This Company?
Dec 29, 2009

Does anyone have experience working for this company? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Currently Working For A Company That Pays 0.055 Cpl
Sep 07, 2011

Currently working for a company that pays 0.055 cpl.  How can anybody make any money?  Throw in their formatting and you might as well be working for free.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  ...

Working For This Company Is Demoralizing
Feb 28, 2015

Always on edge wondering what error they're going to ding you for next. Constant reminders of all you're doing wrong, and never getting told what you're doing right. Poverty wages. The only reason I'm working for this company is so I can keep my health insurance. The minute I get a new job, which I search for every day, I'm done here. ...

Chronicle Transcripts - Who Out There Working For This Company
Mar 15, 2010

Who out there working for this company like it so far????  ...

Precyse Solutions - Considering Working For This Company
Jul 27, 2010

I'm considering working for this company.  I have an interview scheduled.  Can any current employees let me know what you think of the company?  Most of what I have read does not sound good. :-( ...

The Transcription Doctors - Anyone Has Or Is Working For This Company?
Sep 26, 2010

Was just wanting to know if anyone has or is working for this company?  If so how are they to work for? Thanks... ...

I Am Literally Going BROKE Working For This Company
Dec 05, 2011

My region has just brought on a few new accounts which would be considered a good thing for most but here is my problem.  I'm an MME so these new accounts are all 100% QA which means I've only made $0.03 cpl for days now.  To make it a thousand times worse, it seems as if every doctor on one of our new accounts has a different set of samples and formatting to follow so when I'm not earning $0.03 cpl QA'ing other people's work I've got at least a dozen samples open ...

I Think We're All Going To Need PTSD Counseling After Working For This Company
Mar 08, 2014

It might take years of counseling to undo what this company has done to its employees.  This is like being in a really, really, really bad relationship that you can't really describe to anyone outside of it because it's so nightmarish they would think you were making it all up.  When it's all over and the lights are turned off (and they will be, soon), we'll all have the absolute craziest tales about this company to tell people, because nobody, absolutely nobody e ...

Working As An IC...putting Company Names On Applications?
Nov 12, 2012

I am applying to a company that would like me to give names and phone numbers of current and previous employers for verification.  I have really only had one "employer" in the last six years.  All the rest are companies I do IC work for, including the one I am working for now.  Do I put the company names and phone numbers down?  It feels somehow wrong, like I am breaking confidentiality or putting their names and numbers down in some sort of behind-their-back way.  Any t ...

Has Anybody Moved From MT To Working For A Car Rental Company At Home. Doesn't Sound Too Bad.
Apr 23, 2014

One ad I saw starts at $12.45 an hour. Right now I make more, but it's only a matter of time until I don't. If anyone has tried this, I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks!!!! ...

Wondering? New Company Working For Counts 65 Characters Per Line. Is This Normal? Seems High To
Nov 11, 2009

NM ...

If You Are Working For A Company In Another State, Do They Follow Their State Rules Or Your States?
May 12, 2010

x ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

How To Get Started
Oct 27, 2009

I have been looking for a MT job since April when I finished my course training with MTatHome out of Texas.  I apply for spots that areposted as open but then get email back saying that they have no openings.  I have been in the Medical profession for 6 years as a CNA and I am getting ready for nursing school in the Fall of 2010.  I am just wanting to know what it will take to get my foot in the door in the MT field and get a job.  If anyone has any suggestion or can help me ...

I Just Started A New Job, And.......
Nov 07, 2009

I just finished my FIRST shift and when I checked my line count I was shocked.  Twice as much as I can do with MQ.  There is something seriously wrong at MQ.  At my new job, my CPL is a little less than MQ but not much. ...

Just Getting Started
Aug 24, 2010

hello-i am considering a change in jobs due to being terminated in may.  i am interested in becomng an MT, but now you guys got me thinking twice about my decision.  I know there are two sides to everyones story.  I'm not looking into making big bucks, at least what i was making at my last job, $25K.  Any suggestions on the best school?  I understand schools are going to say that the MT field is growing, but those of you that have been out there awhile, is it realll ...

How To Get Started As A MT?
Mar 30, 2011

Hello everyone!  I just found this forum.  I currently work part-time as a legal virtual assistant.  My background is in personal injury law and would like to get my feet wet and start medical and legal transcribing.  Would anyone be so kind as to advise how I start.  I already hold a B.A. in political science and do not think I need to go through a AA program.  Bottom line, I am confused and don't know where to begin.  Please help! Thank you!  ...

Looking To Get Started
Jun 06, 2012

I am looking to get started as a transcriptionist. What do I need to know? I have an associates degree (Liberal Arts). I can type pretty fast, and am pretty good at spelling. I am looking for advice on where I should start, or how to start being a transcriptionst. Thank you in advance for your information and advice. Dawn ...

Getting Started
Dec 22, 2014

I am a stay at home mom and I would like to get into MT. I am having a hard time sorting through the abundance of information out there. I have found programs that range from$400 to $5000. Can anyone give me advise about how to properly get schooling and procure a career? Thanks! ...

Has Anyone Helped Someone Else Get Started?
Mar 14, 2010

Hello all!  It has been some time since I have posted here but used to visit quite often.  My daughter-in-law is just about to finish my transcription course materials (she has finished the book work and is working on transcribing the voice files).  She has already started applying to companies, however she is running up against the same issue we have all run up against as newbies "experience required."  I am willing to sign a confidentiality agreement, have her work beside ...

A Saline S/l Well Was Started...
May 12, 2010

doc states "A saline s/l well was started. The pt was given 1 liter of bolus I.V. normal saline... Saline well?? ...

Started My First Job, But It Went Horrible!
Jun 08, 2010

Hey everybody, I just needed to vent a little bit. I started my first day on my first job, and it went absolutely horrible. I was using the Emdat InScribe platform, which seems easy enough, but they have sooo many templates that the doctor should be using and isn't. My first few reports were okay, but then everything went downhill. I'm supposed to use the templates, but half the time, I had to erase 3/4 of them because it wasn't what he was saying. The wrong templates would load, ...

Just Getting Started... Education??
Jun 17, 2011

Hello All! I have recently decided to begin a career in MT, and am trying to weigh my education options. I have a bachelor's degree in Hearing, Speech & Language Sciences, so I'm great with interpreting speech/language and am also pretty good at deciphering English as a second language. I've also worked for a hospital scheduling outpatient testing for the past three years, so I have a bit of a background in medical terminology (still so much to learn!) and the inner workings ...

Wanting To Know How Would I Get Started
Jan 25, 2011

I am looking for a job as a medical transcriptionist.  I like to work through my home.  I am attended college at Kaplan University, so I have not got my degree yet, but I believe I could do the work.  I am wanting to know how would I get started. ...