A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding salary compared to MLS/ Is it worth the cost of school? - Coming from a TL/QA position at Nuance

Posted: Nov 22, 2014

I currently work at Nuance.  Was a TL (transcription lead), now in Quality, getting paid hourly.  Everyone is moving to production pay soon which is scaring the bejesus out of us all.  Is the difference in salary as a coder (even as entry level) worth it enough to invest in schooling and change careers or should I just be looking for an entirely different career?  How long before you can start making more?  How hard is it to get licensed?  I am a pretty quick study and believe I could pass any licensing exam with the proper amount of time and effort invested. I am a single mom and live in an expensive part of the country and really either need to find a way to go into business for myself, get a second job possibly, or find a way to make more and actually work for a company that gives pay increases.  Any advice is welcomed!  thanks!

Here we go again, lol, but - salaries are better, yes.

[ In Reply To ..]
I said "here we go again" because this question has been asked many times before and attracts an astonishing number of anti-coding arguments. Just skim through the old posts. You should find at least one fight a month. lol

Yes, in general pays better than MT. Salaries vary regionally and according to the type of coding and employer.

Coding is just like any other field, you know, in that you should expect to start in entry-level jobs. You should also expect employers to want experience. However, both of those factors can be overcome with better training and credentials. I also think you will be unable to find the "entirely different career" where that is not the case. The unemployment rate for coders is lower than the national average for all occupations. Unemployment for new coders is lower than other occupations--unemployment for new RNs is so bad it is a national concern.

Coding is part of health information management, which provides lateral and upward career moves into other areas of HIM. HIM itself is considered to be a superb career field with a number of subspecialties. You can start with coding, then continue your education toward the RHIA level. The knowledge you have now of medical language, A&P, etc., and the content of medical records is a good foundation for that.

You can go to www.ahima.org for more information about careers in coding and HIM. They do a salary survey every year.

Go to www.aapc.com for their salary survey and career information.

There is no licensing required in coding, but you will need to be credentialed. You should expect to get the CPC at a minimum, with the CCS allowing for more job opportunities. You can usually pass the CPC with a 4-month course and be qualified for a job doing outpatient coding. There are no requirements for taking it other than a high school diploma. Job opportunities are better and salaries higher with a CCS, but you cannot qualify to take it without completing certain coursework that even some college coding programs do not offer. (Andrews School does qualify, I believe, and at least some of their students have been passing it.)

Moving upward from an entry-level position and salary can occur fairly rapidly. You can see that from the salary surveys.

Coding is interesting and challenging. It is not clerical work. It requires constant learning and offers variety and multiple career paths. It does make use of computer technology and those advances are opening new opportunities for coders in higher level areas, including informatics. At the same time, those advances are relieving coders of some of the more tedious aspects of coding. Don't choose coding if you dislike change or hate computers.

Be advised that not all coding courses teach the same thing. You get what you pay for, but avoid for-profit colleges and career colleges that charge a fortune but deliver little. Also avoid schools that teach solely online with no instructors -- you really need assistance with coding to keep from going down the wrong path.

My advice is Andrews, which is actually a bargain all things considered. They offer a good program covering both inpatient and outpatient coding, have instructors, and provide everything you need. You can complete their course while working in a year or less if you put your mind to it. That is advisable because there is expected to be a hiring push next summer before ICD-10 is implemented on October 1, 2015. It is also advisable to take your certification exams before they change to ICD-10 afterthat date.

GREAT info. Very helpful! - Thank you!

[ In Reply To ..]
: )

salary ranges available on both AAPC and AHIMA sites - ex-Nuance now coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I am at the beginning pay and it is less than my salary 10 years ago; however, after N took over it is now better and MUCH better benefits/holiday time off/etc. than MT or QA (have done both). I am doing outpatient right now, which is lower salary, but applying for an inpatient internship and crossing my fingers! I just started my new career this year so my salary reflects this (15.50/hour) but there are many opportunities for increased pay in this field, unlike MT. Hope this helps.

Yes, it helps a lot! - Thank you! (more)

[ In Reply To ..]
Would you be willing to email me where you are working? how long it took you to find a job? Are you licensed? If so, which licensing do you have?

Thanks again!

There is no licensing for coding. - Ex-Medquist now cder

[ In Reply To ..]
Not the person above, but I got my first job before I finished Andrews. It is on-site, but I have the option of working remotely. The pay and benefits are very good.

There is no licensing required for coding. The first response you got explains that and also explains what you do need (certification). You should look at the AAPC and AHIMA sites, which explain everything you need to know. Those are the ONLY recognized certifications for coding and HIM.

Are you looking for at-home work? If so, coding might not be a good choice. Most jobs are on site, although employers like hospitals may let you work remotely. Jobs that are remote with HIM consulting companies will most often require AHIMA credentials. Those are harder to get.

MModal pays entry level coders $16/h - hope that helps

[ In Reply To ..]
x

MT to - Coding

[ In Reply To ..]
I am another MT who transitioned to coding who posts on this board from time to time. I made my transition close to a year ago when my transcription job was outsourced. I have an associates degree in health information technology and am certified as an RHIT and a CCA. I dont feel comfortable including the name of my facility on here but I do work for a rural medical center in the northern part of the country. I code outpatient professional fee level encounters which is basically clinic. I work onsite but some coders do work at home. I am not comfortable listing specifically what I make on here either but it is somewhere between 16 and 19. Places do pay more if you are certified. I found the transition to be huge and continue to learn more every day. I would stay away from any online schools unless they are accredited by AHIMA or AAPC. Those are the professional organizations associated with coding and they have more information on their websites as well. I am one of few actual coders that comes on here and would be willing to answer any further questions. I wish you the best in your decision.

Neither AHIMA nor AAPC "accredit" coding - schools or programs

[ In Reply To ..]
Not trying to be contentious here, but this is important. We don't want to confuse everyone and have them looking for things that do not exist.

As an RHIT, your college program had to be accredited by CAHIIM. RHIA programs must also be accredited by CAHIIM.

CAHIIM does not accredit or approve coding programs.

AHIMA "approves" coding programs. Approval is not a guarantee of quality, but just an indication that the course contains certain material. Not being approved is no indication that the school is not good. It may just be that the type of school is not eligible, that the school does not want to pay exorbitant sums to get it, or even that the school teaches too much and therefore does not fit the AHIMA mold. Some CAHIIM colleges do not have approval on their coding certificate programs. Some superb coding schools, like Andrews, are not approved. Some awful schools have been approved.

AAPC does not accredit *or* approve coding programs. They only certify instructors, by which they mean they license their training materials to them. Their training courses do not include as much as desired. (I took one, so I am sure.)They cover only enough ICD coding for outpatient work, but cover CPT adequately. They do not cover enough A&P, pathophysiology, pharmacology, or reimbursement methods, and thus people who complete them cannot qualify for the AHIMA coding exams. That is also why 25% of their graduates cannot find a job.

You need to consider each school on its own merits.

Thank you - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Much appreciated and very helpful info. Still an MT, but looking at Andrews for coding soon.
Nuance coder - Anonymous 99
[ In Reply To ..]
First, I don't know how anyone can be expected to do QA on production and do a good job, I understand your concern about not being able to make any money. If you think you would like coding, then I would advise it. If you are thinking of pursuing it purely because it pays well, I would advise against it. I would suggest trying to find an onsite job in HIT or HIM while you are studying coding so that you can network, learn and apply for internal positions, you will need a foot in the door for a better chance of being hired for a coding job. Every situation is different but there are a lot of newly credentialed coders who can't get that first job - that is not sour grapes, it is true. However, once hired will start at a lower salary but the earning potential is good. I don't know how you feel about working at home later on, but there is at least one MTSO (Amphion, M-Modal) that offers an MT to coding program so that might also be worth looking into. I'm not coding although I took a course but do work in HIM. Going to school and working full-time will be tough if you plan to do that. Personally, I had trouble switching gears between MT and coding, but that's just me. From what I have read, Andrews is a good school, but AHIMA also offers coding in addition to RHIT and RHIA programs. Investigate them all and make your own decision. Talk to people (in person) who are actively working in the field for more feedback. Good luck with your future plans.

Similar Messages:

How Much Would MT School Cost?
Apr 18, 2013

Please, no lectures!  Not for me,  but for my niece, who is just looking for a little extra cash, as her hubby is bringing in good income and she was thinking about doing what I do.  I was so lucky to learn on the job, on-site, almost 20 years ago.  How long would training be for the minimum tier, or whatever they call it now, and approximately what would the cost be?  Thank you. ...

Cost Of Andrews Coding Course?
Jun 30, 2013

Can anyone tell me the cost of the coding course at Andrews? Do you still get a discount if you completed the medical transcription course? ...

Is The RHIA Worth Going To School For?
Aug 13, 2012

I'm a former MT who has been in school working towards AA in HIT and will sit for my RHIT this winter.  I am considering contiuing my education and getting my bachelor's degree and going for the RHIA, but is it worth it?  I currently work in medical records and when I get my RHIT I will be a coder where I work.  Two more years of school just seems daunting and exhausting to me, but then I wonder if RHIA would be a good career move.  Any thoughts? ...

Coding Salary
Nov 26, 2010

I currently work in an imaging facility doing transcription of MRI and ultrasounds.  I am training to be a coder to do the coding for my company also.  I am not sure what I need to be getting paid for this after I'm done.  I am not sure if I should ask for a pay raise based solely on the coding or if I include my transcription experience also.  Is there anyone out there who does both coding and transcription for the same company?  Any advice is greatly apprecia ...

Is It Worth It To Go Back To School And Accumulate Tons Of
Sep 26, 2013

I really, really, really want to go back to school.  Problem is, I'm a single parent living on my one income which is going down pretty much every month.  Being an MT just isn't working anymore.  I want to go back to school, but in order to do that, I would need to take out some serious student loans just to help me pay my bills, let alone pay the school debt.  I have an AA degree already, so I think it would take me about 2 more years to get my bachelor's degr ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Medical Coding Salary
Sep 13, 2012

I was thinking of finding a course to take medical coding and wanted an at-home position in this field.  Can someone please tell me an average pay that I would expect to make?  I tried looking online and everything says "it varies", so just a ball park figure would be great, so I can decide if I want to pursue that or something different.  TIA:) ...

Is AHIMAs Coding Course Worth It?
Apr 25, 2010

I've been trying to find online courses for coding and I see AHIMA offers courses.  Are these the same as offered by say, The Andrews School? ...

Coding/Billing-worth It?!
Jan 30, 2015

okay ladies and gents--I got a lot of negative reviews on the MT world and have decided that is not a route worth going down....however, we have a small child, and come July will have two! We can't afford daycare full time for 2 babies. I was counting on working from home.  Do you guys think coding & billing is worth it? Do you enjoy your jobs? Are many of you able to work from home?  Is Andrews the reccommended school? About how long does it take to actutually complete the ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Using Dragon Medical Practice, Version 2 For Transcription, Coding, Billing, Editing - Is It Worth I
Dec 29, 2014

It was recently suggested to me that I get Dragon Medical practice Edition, Version 2 for use on transcription, coding, billing and editing. As someone who works from home, I am hoping to investigate the pros and cons of investing in this program and whether its worth it ($1,399.00!!) Does anyone have any experience using this program for transcription, etc who would like to comment? Is it worth the time investment and the money investment? Is the program fairly easy to set up and use ie: l ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Coding School????
Nov 04, 2010

Hi, I am looking into taking courses through a local community college for coding and wanted to know if this would be adequate enough to find a job once I have finished. It is a 32 credit hour program and stated that I would have a medical coding certificate once I completed the courses. I just don't want to spend money on a school/program that won't do me any good once I finish. I already feel I did this with my medical transcription course and don't want to waste any more money. ...

Has Anyone Gone To School For Coding At
Jul 08, 2011

I know they only have campuses in Wichita KS, Tulsa OK, Joplin MO, but I was just curious if anyone had gone there. TIA! ...

Coding - Getting The First Job After School
Jan 21, 2013

Question for all the coders - A young friend of mine is about to graduate from a community college with a 2-year degree in Healthcare Administration, with a good deal of her school work covering coding, billing, and insurance. She will have a new baby soon and wants to work from home as a coder (or other close field, if you can suggest one). I think I know the answer (if coding is like MT), but, is that possible? What companies, if any, hire newbies, or what is the best way to get ...

What School Did You Go To For Coding?
Jul 27, 2013

What school did you go to to learn coding? Do you feel it taught you enough to be a good coder? ...

In 2003 I Went To Coding School, I Am Also An RN
Mar 02, 2010

I can't find a job.  Sometimes it is because I am too old. maybe my coding experience is too distant. Anyone know anyone who got a got thru the board.   Thanks Maria ...

Coding School - Already Know 75% Of The Coursework Having Been An MT
Jul 14, 2010

I am taking an online coding and billing course and the frustrating thing about it is I already know 75% of the coursework having been an MT for 100 years. I know medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, the anatomy of a medical record, etc. So I skip through and take the module test and move on. There are those on this forum who say MT experience doesn't help when transitioning to coder/biller. Can anyone elaborate on why they say this? ...

Feedback From Those Of You In Coding School
Aug 13, 2010

How are classes going for you?  Is coding what you thought it would be?  I have to say that there is much more to learn than I thought there would be but I really enjoy the research that is involved in the coding process, it is so important to read everything!  Learning the sequencing of codes has probably been the most difficult thing for me so far (I'm having trouble with the septicemia codes), but I understand a little more each day.  The ICD-9 coding guidelines defin ...

What Coding School Did You Enroll In?
Dec 10, 2010

I received a response from my previous post about coding. Can any of you post what schools you were enrolled in, now or in the past. There are so many out there. I thought I would be able to get a few from you, so I could their their respective websites. Also, did most of you enroll for online education or go onsite to school. Thanks. ...

Andrews School Of Coding A
Dec 19, 2010

Andrews School of Medical Coding and Transcription........... Just wanted to say a few words about Andrews School of Coding. 3 years ago I finished an AHIMA accredited program for Health Information, going through the program I realized there were some gaps that I needed to fill in on the coding end. I love AHIMA and being part of the organizaiton, and look forward to working in the field for a long time.  What I am finding with Andrews is that they offer an indepth, hands on training spe ...

Coding School - Looking Into Programs
Jul 13, 2011

I am looking into coding programs and have it narrowed down to possibly two.  They are Andrews and Kaplan University.  Does anybody have any experience with any of these that could help me with my decision. Also, are there any other coding programs out there that are worth looking at? Thanks. ...

Coding School And Certification
May 04, 2012

I am presently training in a new position at a physician's office.  I will be doing coding and billing.  I have coded in the past but I would like to go to school and become certified.  Can anyone please direct me in a good program rather on line or in the middle Tennessee area?  I have been an MT since 1986 and sadly this is a dying art.  Thank you. ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

What's The Best Coding School Outside Of Andrews?
Aug 03, 2013

I was wondering what the best coding school is, other than Andrews? ...

CODING SCHOOL - Where To Start?
Feb 07, 2014

Can anyone give me an idea where to start and how to choose an online class for coding?  I've looked at so many and need a better idea of what the most important aspect I am looking for is?  Andrews, Codingcertificate.org, Careerstep, etc. HELP please! ...

Coding/billing School
Apr 26, 2014

I am wanting to go into billinig/coding.  There is a tech school very close to my home. They have coding/billing  program  which takes 1 year to complete full time.  I am wondering this:  How much does a newbie make just starting out in either billing or coding and what are my chances of getting a newbie job right out of school?  Thanks for the info. ...

Informatics Salary Versus Coder Salary
Jan 15, 2013

Hello Everybody.  First, let me say I have gotten a lot of good advice from this board in the past few years.  I have been encouraged to go back to school, am currently enrolled in Andrews for coding, and am looking to the future to obtain a degree to further advance myself in the field. I am very strongly considering WGU's Informatics course. I think this will be a good fit for me, especially considering this program also includes many IT certifications and I have always been ...

Can You Take The RHIT Or CCS Having Just Finished Coding School?
Apr 01, 2010

I am thinking about taking a billing/coding class, but noticed that getting a job after that involved having the RHIT or CCS.  I am wonding if this will be a catch 22 and don't want to spend time in school for coding if I cannot pass these 2 tests when I am done, as it looks like I will not be able to get hired without these certificates.  Sorry about the confusion on this.  Thanks for your time and info. ...

Billing/Coding School Recommendation Sm
Jun 28, 2010

Thinking of taking billing/coding courses since transcription is going downhill.  Any good on-line schools that are AHIMA accredited?  Do you have to take courses only accredited by AHIMA?  What about their courses?  Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.  (Also, I don't want to take a course that takes years to complete.)  Thanks in advance! ...