A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why do all the companies have you working every weekend either saturday or sunday? - Horski

Posted: May 24, 2010

Why do all the companies have you working every weekend either saturday or sunday?  I would much rather work both sat and sun every other weekend than be tied up every weekend.  Just wondering if anyone knows the reasoning for that.

Weekends - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that most of them request that you work at least one weekend day.

Too hard for supervisors to keep track of otherwise - Good Luck

[ In Reply To ..]

From my personal experience, I think it is because the supervisors/schedulers are not smart enough to make out a schedule and keep it straight.  It has to be kept simple – same days, week, after week, after week, after week….

In my case, this was painfully evident when my supervisor/scheduler could not figure out that she and I lived in different Time Zones.   

I worked Midnight to 8 a.m. CENTRAL.  I had Monday and Tuesday off.  My supervisor lived in the PACIFIC Time Zone.   Instead of writing on her schedule that I worked 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. PACIFIC (where she lived), she left the schedule as Midnight to 8 a.m.  Since the company was also located in the Pacific Time Zone, all time stamps for log-in, log-out, and finished reports were  PACIFIC Time.  So, when my supervisor would look at the computer-generated log-in and log-out daily time sheets, she would see the time stamp given in Pacific Time. 

I would get Emails at least twice a week wanting to know why I stopped working at 6 a.m., when I was scheduled to work until 8 a.m. and at least twice a month I would get called on my days off to find out why I was not working my scheduled day.  No matter how many times I explained to her the 2 hour time difference, she never was able to make the connection and adjust her schedule to match the time zone difference.

So, how do you think trying to schedule MTs every OTHER weekend would work?  The poor little supervisor’s brains would explode.  And if someone asked for that weekend off or switched with someone else, they would have to be admitted to a mental institution. 

Again, just my personal opinion.  LOL

You could always ask if you could switch. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think they do it to split up the weekends. The only good I see from our standpoint would be the shift differential. I would hope all employees are receiving shift differential at least for that one weekend day. Of course, this does not apply to ICs but then again ICs should be working set days anyway or set hours or have a set line quota. All of those things are for employees not ICs.

Maybe another MT would be willing to switch with you and work every other weekend like you are requesting. It never hurts to ask.

Sorry that should state ICs should NOT be working set days. nm - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Similar Messages:

Just Got The Email - Everybody Must Work A Saturday Or Sunday.
Aug 21, 2010

I already work weekends. They say it is for TAT. Work is already thin on weekends. This is not fair to the people who were hired for M-F. Sat or Sun schedules was the reason I turned down Spheris a long time ago. I only work weekends now because I have been going to school to get out of this MT rat hole. ...

Another Saturday Spent Working
Feb 21, 2015

x ...

Working Every Sunday For The Rest Of My Career
Apr 18, 2012

We are required to work a full-time schedule that includes either Saturday or Sunday, every weekend, forever. The only time we can take a full weekend is if we take a PTO day. But the problem is that we don't get paid holidays anymore (unless we work), so we are almost forced to take many of those as PTO days.  Our sick days come out of our PTO days.  I guess what I am saying is that the thought of having hardly any full weekends "forever" is very disheartening.  The company ...

Working For Two Companies
Mar 06, 2011

I currently work full-time for one MTSO and as an independent contractor for two physicians in my area.  I would like to give up this independent contractor work and work 4 hours a day for another MTSO.  Is it acceptable to apply to a second MTSO part-time if they know you are already working full-time and will they accept my application? ...

Working For 2 Companies ??
Jul 13, 2011

Not too computer literate here, so bear with me.  If you have Transcend BeyondText on your computer and want to work for another company also, is there a conflict between these programs on the same computer or something to be on the alert for?  ...

Working 2 Companies ?Wmx And Transcend??
Oct 05, 2011

Anyone working or have worked for both and can give input as to how your earnings vary from one to the other.  I know accounts, etc. make a difference.  I see both companies are hiring and offering about the same wages.  WMX recently bought by Nuance so I am sure things will be changing.   Wondering if work is more stable with one or the other.  Any info helpful in deciding which company to apply to.  TIA for any comparisons between these 2 companies. ...

What Companies Are People Working At That ARE HAPPY???
Nov 29, 2014

Would like to know what companies some of you are at that are happy? Would appreciate any advice. ...

Why Are Companies Stuck On Everyone Working 40 Hours A Week?
Mar 02, 2012

I've got great experience and when I'm scheduled to work, I'm there working.  What the hell difference does it make if I only want to be scheduled for 6 hours on four of my weekdays?  Would they rather I said I would work 8 hours and actually only work 6 like a lot of people? I'm willing to work 10 hours on Sunday, so we're talking 34 hours a week and more if I have the time, and I'm not asking for benefits.  I'm so sick of this job search.  ...

NJA-Saturday
Apr 27, 2013

Strategic Accounts-anyone in this region with much work? Just curious. I am wondering when the work actually flows in, released, if there is such a thing happening. I think I would be willing to work a different shift if there was work later in day. I do not see a pattern.   ...

Something Is Up...again No Work On A Saturday? Why Oh Why Don't
Nov 12, 2011

they just lay me off? I was bought out 2 months ago and still working on my accounts (2), not on MQ's platform yet, actuallly nothing really has changed except no work.  Do you think they are being sent overseas? I just don't get it.  I don't even know if MQ is to blame for this.  Who knows.  All I know is that this is not fun. ...

Saturday Work
Mar 02, 2013

Not sure what is going on in the North this morning, but I've had work for 4 hours now and still work on the system.  Very unusual for my accounts on a Saturday.  ...

Out Of Work On A Saturday
Jul 06, 2013

and don't tell me it's just because it's summer or the holiday.  I've worked here long enough to know.  There used to be work during the day shift and now there's not.  They didn't hire more people on my team, so where did the work go ? (india)  And I have never ever run out on a Saturday so where did the work go ?(india) ...

No Work On Saturday Morning??? Come On..Really!!! Nothing Like Sm
Jan 19, 2013

leaving a great party early on Friday night becuase I have to work very early Saturday morning, drag myself out of bed, drink coffee to wake up, begin work only to run out after earning about $30!!  I really feel like a fool.  This would not be so bad if we did not have such strict schedules, although who is actually working their schedules anymore?  Seems as if MModal has its cake and eats it too.  ...

It S Saturday, Where Is My Work? This Is My Shift.
Mar 09, 2013

Did everyone take "my work" and use it for their make up time???? ...

I Quit Nuance On Saturday...
Apr 01, 2014

I quit Nuance on Saturday and today have received 2 offers for employment elsewhere.  One is in the transcription field and the second is something completely different.  Think I will go with the new field.  I need a change. There are plenty of minimum wage or a little better paying jobs out there in transcription though if one wants to stay with that type work.  You don't have to stick with Nuance for fear of not finding other work.  ...

Typical Saturday Morning..
Oct 04, 2014

OOW--my TMS quit--no new TSM yet.  I liked her--sorry she left.  I have 3 accounts and not ONE job this morning--so why do I have to work Saturday mornings againg???  I am sooooo glad I supplement my income by watching children in my home.  That is the only way I can survive.   I also have so many other things I could be doing this morning--but no, I sit and wait for work... Just killing time, typing this post, bored to death.  I am going to pick my daughter up f ...

Help On A Sunday!
Nov 24, 2013

Who are we supposed to contact when we need technical help on a Sunday?  There used to be a number to call but I don't have it anymore, which is my fault, I know.  Fluency won't let me in, saying my new password is not recognized, yet it let me into Teamwork.   Man o' man - it's always something, as Gilda Radner used to say. ...

OOW On Sunday At 3 A.m.?
Aug 31, 2014

Just as I suspected would happen...no work!  I have no PTO to take and I know this entire week will be a struggle if there is no work very early Sunday morning.  Not sure what is going on or where all the work is...oh yea...probably INDIA!!!!!   ...

Another Sunday With NJA
Nov 09, 2014

x ...

NJA Saturday Morning, North Region
Aug 21, 2010

Always work Saturday morning, rarely have NJA but beginning to think it's going to be a regular thing now.  This is my 3rd NJA this week. I feel sorry for those that get NJA every day. I can feel it creeping up on me slowly. I hope those of you who have NJA have applied for unemployment. I did, back in February, and during these slow times it does help, even if it's just a little bit. I AM looking for another job, but not in transcription, but I live in Michigan and it's hard ...

NJA North Region, Saturday Morning...sm
Aug 28, 2010

Working in the helper pool and even that ran dry. I need to make up some hours from last week, don't know if I'll even be able to do that this weekend! Wish they would just go ahead and lay us off so we can get TAA. This is getting old. ...

Saturday Morning North Region NJA.
Sep 03, 2011

No msg. ...

Are There Any MTSOs That Hire For Saturday Work Only?
Feb 20, 2012

I like where I am working now, but just don't have enough work.  I'd love to find a place that would hire me for Saturdays only.  Any clues? ...

Got E Mail To Upgrade To 7.2 Before Saturday, Can't Wait (not)
Mar 11, 2013

Why this stupid upgrade anyway?  So sick of these upgrades.  ...

System Down Saturday Evening, North?
Jan 26, 2014

When I tried to sign back on at 9 p.m. PST (midnight EST), I could not get in, and the DEP light was red. I thought I saw a message on DEP that it was down for maintenance, but I just found the schedule they sent us sometime back, and next weekend is what is scheduled. Was the system down? -- Or were they in fact doing maintenance? ...

A Typical Sunday
Mar 10, 2013

My scheduled day/shift to work and NJA.  Finding I am unable to make up these hours later in the week.  It's not a wonderful life at all.  Can't sleep at night wondering where the money for bills, etc., will come from, wondering who is next for termination. I am looking for another job but no luck so far.  Will be getting even harder in my area as a MAJOR employer is laying of over 1000 workers.  It's getting worse out here.  Hanging on by a thread. ...

Just A Little LOL For Your Sunday Morning...
Apr 28, 2013

Sunday Doctors Rot
Nov 03, 2013

So tempted to just quit..I hate this so much ...

Sunday Dictation
Jan 19, 2014

Is it because they are all dictating on cell phones or what? I am tearing my hair out trying to hear my usually prime dictators because of heaps of static and background noise. Grrrr!! ...

Sunday 2nd Shift?
Jan 11, 2015

Anyone out there working a 2nd shift on Sundays? Are you running out of work?  I know it's slower than slow around the holidays, but the holidays are over and I'm getting really tired of running out of work on Sundays.  This is inpatient, so the day of the week shouldn't matter, right?   #*&!!@%!&#!!! ...