A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is the best type of keyboard? - Kelley

Posted: Oct 13, 2009

I have a REALLY old, loud COMPAQ keyboard.  I am going to buy a new one soon.  What are the best kinds for transcription?  With mine, you really have to punch down on the keys, and I know that a lot of the newer ones are much easier to press.  Any ideas?

Depends on your preferences... - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have a handy-dandy Office Depot or some such place nearby, you could go over and pound on the sample keyboards.

I use a Microsoft Comfort Curve that cost me less than $20. I'm on my second one because I am a bit heavy-fisted and I'm hard on keyboards (probably goes back to my typewriter-banging days). The curve is slight enough that it really doesn't feel any different from a straight keyboard (at least, not to me) but it does keep your wrists in a more neutral position side-to-side. I also have a beanbag wrist rest that conforms to the front of the keyboard, which puts my wrists into neutral position vertically as well.

At $20 or less, it's certainly worth a try... it's the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, and it's USB.

Old IBM style M keyboard (sm) - oldmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I posted a thread a week or so ago about my new/old IBM Model M keyboard I purchased recently. It's the old "clicky" type keyboards with the nicest light action and I am loving it. I purchased mine at www.clickykeyboards.com but there is another place online to get the same keyboard, you can search the board.

keyboard - Lindakaye

[ In Reply To ..]
I use a Kinesis Contour Keyboard, Classic model (think it's been replaced by Advantage model) and love it (I have two...one for backup) Go to http://www.kinesis.com to see. Really eases pain of carpal tunnel. it's totally programmable and only took me about 4 days to master it but cannot type on a standard keyboard today without pulling my hair out. you can find on ebay used and new

Thanks ladies! - Kelley

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, that Kinesis looks amazing! I will have to buy a cheapo for now and save up for that though!

Similar Messages:

LOL Hubby Trying To Type With My Keyboard!
Jan 23, 2013

Cuz the letters are worn off!  I need letters on my keyboard like a Nascar driver needs turn signals. ...

Can A KVM Type Switch Be Used ONLY For The Keyboard?
Apr 01, 2014

can a KVM type switch be used ONLY for the keyboard?, not the monitors or mouse? If so, what would i need to plug into it then?  been too long since I used mine.  Thanks. ...

Good Keyboard That Is Fast To Type On?
Nov 11, 2009

Does anyone have an idea of a good keyboard that is fast to type on? I have a few. One is an old Dell that is awkward and the other is a new Dell that is also awkward because the keys are so flat and touchy. Is there one out there that anyone prefers? ...

Looking For A Comfortable Wireless Keyboard To Type On
Jan 28, 2013

Any suggestions as to a comfortable wireless keyboard to use with my laptop? Currently using a logitech ergonomic keyboard but the keys seem a little sharp around the edges to me.  Thank you! ...

Wave Keyboard Versus Ergonomic Split Keyboard
Apr 10, 2010

I was wondering if someone could tell me how using a wave keyboard compares to a split ergonomic keyboard.  Is the wave as comfortable to use?  TIA! ...

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro...need A New Keyboard, Any Recommendations?
Apr 03, 2010

Microsoft has discontinued these great keyboards and I need a new one.  Anybody aware of a split keyboard that has a really nice touch (remember those old IBM keyboards?) for transcription work by Microsoft or another brand that you really like? I'm open for suggestions please ; 0  My only complaint with this one is the keys are a bit clunky to press down (especially the space bar).  Thanks! ...

What Is The Correct Way To Type Hepatitis C "type 2A/2C Or IIA/11C?
May 14, 2010

. ...

Doctor Says RF X3. Do I Type RF X3 Or Type Out Refill X3
Jun 23, 2010

nm ...

If It Is Dictated Type 2 Or 3 Acromion, Do You Type 2 Or 3 Or II Or III?
Sep 08, 2010

TIA ...

HELP: If ECG Is Dictated, Can I Type As Is, Or Type In Full?
Nov 09, 2010

If ECG is dictated, can I use the abbreviation, or type in full? ...

MMSE Is Pertinent To "an Abunzant" Type Dementia Of Alzheim'er Type. :/ ESL
Apr 22, 2010

MMSE is pertinent to "an abunzant" type dementia of Alzheim'er type. ...

Anyone Using This Keyboard?
May 31, 2010

... the TypeMatrix (see link at bottom) If so (or otherwise) anyone using the Dvorak key layout?  Actually I was just trying to search for fast keyboards (as it seems like my keyboard is slow to react), and came across info on this.  Aside from the initial question, any tips on a regular keyboard with fast reaction and highlighting ability appreciated as well.  (I prefer an uncurved keyboard that isn't real large though.)  Thanks for any info you can give me! ...

What Keyboard Everyone Uses
Sep 05, 2010

Hi! Wondering what keyboards everyone uses. I currently have the logitech wave but think it is suffering a slow death and will be needing to purchase a new one soon. Any recommendations? Thanks! ...

Best Keyboard
Jun 21, 2011

I am going to be looking for a new keyboard.  I see most of you seem to like the split keyboard.  When I tried that at one time I couldn't get used to the 6 being on the wrong side of the keyboard (I use my right hand for it), for one thing.  Is this something you just get used to or do you all not have that problem to begin with?  Does anyone have an ergonomic keyboard that is not split that they like?  ...

Keyboard Help Please!
Nov 30, 2011

Please someone help.   Sometimes when I am typing my keyboard will just start typing wrong letters and/or numbers.   I have tried the num lock to no avail.   This only ever happens when I am typing on a platform.    Does anyone know a solution?  As always, thanks for any input! ...

Best Keyboard ???
Oct 16, 2012

Need a new keyboard and was wondering if any of you out there use a gaming keyboard for working as an MT?  If so, do you think they are better?  Which one would you recommend?  Thanks for your input. ...

DAS Keyboard?
Sep 03, 2013

Thinking about taking the plunge and investing in a DAS tactile keyboard.  It's a bigger investment than I've ever made in a keyboard. Does anyone here use a DAS keyboard or have used one?  If so, any feedback about it would be greatly appreciated.   TIA!!! ...

Need New Keyboard
Sep 13, 2014

Hello all, I am in need of a new keyboard.  I am using a Goldtouch now but the keyboard configuration does not really work for me, specifically the cntl, alt, and windows keys, as well as the home key.  I hit the wrong keys frequently, too much, and it hurts my production.  I do like the "touch" of it though.  I would like something that feels the same, a little bit spongy but not sticky.  Any suggestions.  TIA. ...

Keyboard
Jun 25, 2015

Hello, I am using a Microsoft split keyboard that is just about worn out and would like to know what most of you are using now. After using a split keyboard I do not think I could go back to a regular keyboard. Also, I keep the keyboard slanted to the left slightly which is more comfortable for me, probably because I am left-handed, but it does make to getting to some of the keys on my right hand a little difficult. Anyhow, just curious to see what most of you are using now. Thanks. ...

Keyboard Issues
Dec 07, 2009

Is anyone else having problems with their keyboard not working properly and sticking when in DocQScribe?  I changed the batteries in my keyboard but that didn't help.  This is an on and off problem in the past few days and I can't figure out if it's my keyboard, my computer, or DocQScribe.  ...

Quiet Keyboard
Jan 11, 2010

Hi all, Hoping this is on the "write" board. I'm looking for a keyboard for my Dell desktop that's quieter...like a laptop keyboard is. Any suggestions of model, where I can look, etc.? Personal experience with one is preferred... Thanks!! J ...

Footpedal Or Keyboard.sm
Mar 19, 2010

For those of you who are experienced with VR, do you use the footpedal to control the audio or the keyboard.   I am new to this.  I am used to using the footpedal but have heard from a couple of others that using the keyboard to control audio seems to be faster for them. I would like some opinions please.  Also, maybe you could tell me how long your learning curve was.  How long did it take to get your speed up to the point that you were making what you could make trans ...

Keyboard Protector
May 01, 2010

Does anybody use a keyboard protector/cover.  I am on my third keyboard this year due to spilling accidents (I think I better get a sippy cup).  Does a cover effect your typing at all? ...

Go To * Keyboard Stroke
May 06, 2010

Does anyone know how to create a keyboard stroke to "go to" a * in Word 2007?  For example:  Physical Exam:  Respirations *, Weight *, etc.  When you have a template or macro for the PE and you need to just go to the * and fill in............ Thanks so much! Nana ...

Dirty Keyboard
May 09, 2010

I am using a keyboard that I really like but over time, the keys are getting harder to hit and seem to be "sticking" somewhat  I was going to buy another one but I can't find one just like the one I have already.  Do any of you have any tips for cleaning the keyboard, besides canned air, to help with the keys?  Thanks in advance and hope you all have a great evening! ...

Keyboard Shortcuts
Sep 12, 2010

I read on one of these boards (darned if I can find if) something about using keyboard shortcuts. Several people mentioned they us ????. Unfortunately all I can rember is it started with an A and had 3 letters!!! Sorry, the brain does not remember what else there was to it. Any of you smart ladies out there figure out what I am trying to say??? Thanks for the help! ...

How To Fix Wear On Keyboard?
Jan 14, 2011

Does anyone know how to stop premature wear on the keyboard?....I just got a new one about two months ago and the letters are starting to wear away already! ...

Ergo Keyboard
Jan 22, 2011

What is the best ergonomic keyboard to use? I really like using a wireless keyboard. ...

When Do You Replace Your Keyboard
Jun 14, 2011

I'm trying to stockpile a 2-year supply (wishful thinking?) of Memorex TS1100 keyboards.  I don't think they are being made any more, so I find them on eBay. I use them untill all the print is off the letter keys, all the plastic is gone from several of the letters leaving the metal exposed, there is a piece missing on the space bar where my right thumb goes, and then I dump them.  Do you think I should them longer than this.  I've only ever had one STOP working (I ...

Favorite Keyboard, Anyone?
Feb 22, 2011

I'm looking at everything from old IBM clackers to Kinesis to Logitech to those funky as all get-out flat rubber keyboards a poster below mentioned. Input anyone as to why a certain keyboard is your fave? ...