A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Important Question - anymus

Posted: Oct 21, 2012

I am asking for opinions and suggestions only...no bashing, please.

I "worked" for a client as an IC for a total of one week, two dictations, equalling about MAYBE $40 in pay. I have not actually counted lines, so I don't know. This "client" and I did not see eye to eye on MANY things and I decided it was not in my best interest to continue working for her, so I gave notice that I was "done."  She continues to email me even though I have stated in no uncertain terms that I was done, and now she is stating that my "invoice" is due, since she only does invoicing on the weekends, so my "invoice" is due today!  The only thing is, is that she is "dictating" a "specific name" of software I HAVE to use in order to bill her, as supposedly it is the ONLY software billing the physician will accept.  I do not use that type of line counting/invoicing software and I do not feel I should have to download a specific type of software just to bill her.  An invoice is an invoice, no matter what software produced it!  She will not pay me what she owes me unless I use the software she has dictated that I use.  Is this unreasonable?  Is this even legal??  I have never, ever known a "company" to dictate what invoice program a subcontractor HAS to use in order to invoice them.  I have contacted my attorney, but unfortunately he will not receive the message until tomorrow, and she is "dictating" that I HAVE to have my invoice in today or she will not pay.  Is this worth all of the harassment just for less than $40 worth of pay?  What would any of you do?  I am so frustrated with this woman, it is pathetic!  I think this is what she has wanted all along....free work! TIA for any help or suggestions.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. - LeonaG

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd be tempted to tell her, sorry, you expected any such mandatory requirements spelled out in the original agreement (whether written or oral).

The fact remains that she owes you $40, you did the work, she isn't disputing that you did it, and she can either pay you, or you can post her emails publicly on Facebook and in a blog so no one will ever, ever work for her again.

As an IC, you can also make a report to the credit reporting agencies about her ;-).

I know that some of this isn't "professional," but I betcha you aren't the first person she has tried to rip off and won't be the last. Get so tired of these slimeballs getting away with stealing.

thank you! You give some good ideas! - anymus

[ In Reply To ..]
and I will follow through with them. I "know" that she does not want to pay me, even though I did the work, and I know she already has somebody else lined up as her "next victim." It won't be long before that victim is posting on here too! I am anxious to hear what my attorney has to say, as well. :-)

I NEVER said I would not pay. I stated invoices were due tonight - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I stated her invoice is due tonight. The work has not even been billed to the client, and it is in the middle of the pay period. I am paying her out of my own money despite instructing her from the beginning when invoices are issued and the billing cycles. She JUST transcribed this report, one I told her not to do after all and had so many mistakes in it, it had to be completely redone, including a fatal error on a narcotic that could have killed the patient. Then, I have all these emails from her about her psychological depression, etc.

Just goes to show that there are always at least 2 sides to every story. - Rashomon

[ In Reply To ..]
Kind of funny to see how everybody was so quick to jump on the OP's bandwagon without knowing the whole story. It appears that the software is a free download?
Exactly. Many here feel MT is always right, doesnt matter if they - know the facts. To them, MTSO always wrong. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Thank you... not big MTSO but small and always more than fair - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you.

Unfortunately, one QA note sent her reeling....
Yes, free download - typingfor$
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, it is a free download, one report line count and 1 report page count.

If you hired a plumber, would you type out his invoice? LOL. Then, you have to hire another to fix the flooded home, i.e. errors.

Read all the posts to follow above. Not one is true. Now she claims she lost all her jobs to EMR instead of being fired.

so sorry - Honestly

[ In Reply To ..]
Her story and antics are well known. No I don't have tracking isp software, just frequent this board and another and there are tell tale "hints". too bad there isn't a board for MTSO who can be warned about people like her. I'm not an MTSO, just an MT so tired of people like her giving us a bad name.

You're right, it wouldn't be professional. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The employer said she does invoices on weekends, not this weekend only and will never do them again. If the OP doesn't get the invoice in this week, it can be submitted next week. No big deal.

She can't bill the client until you invoice her, correct? - FBL

[ In Reply To ..]
I would send her my regular invoice with a cover letter saying since it will be the only one and you don't have the software she is asking for, this is it. Would also tell her how you came up with your numbers, and "dictate" to her when you expect to have your money. Good luck.

she will probably bill the client saying SHE did the work... - anymus

[ In Reply To ..]
and then pay me herself. I don't think the actual "client" knows she is subcontracting.

If MTSO has to fix 90% errors, she DID to the work - herself. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Oops. Meant % to be +. nm - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Invoices-report with 93 errors is 2 pages - me

[ In Reply To ..]
It is easy. One report that had the 93 errors is billed as page count, as stated on the directions you never read and also listed on the log sheet returned to you, 2 pages; not 3. The other report is line count, which can be run through the line count software also stated, which again can be downloaded for free. Then you put your address on it.

I stated I only do invoicing and cut checks on weekends and not that I would not pay.

Hope that answers your questions.

wow. - kinda sums it up - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
but it is appropriate s/he put her address on it, you know, in case the IRS actually audits you. I assume you are referring to the invoice and not the actual report itself. There is no excuse for 93 errors, but that has to be near the total number of words in the report. If the IC was that incompetent, why didn't you know that before hiring her/him?

Not "me," but I can answer your question... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"Me" didn't know of the MT's incompetence because there are just so many "experienced" MTs out there who appear on their resumes to be qualified, but simply aren't. I've worked with many such MTs. I personally know MTs who have 20+ years of acute care experience but still don't know the difference between codeine and Coumadin, or perineal and peritoneal, etc. Why do you think MTSOs require such extensive testing before they'll even look at a resume. Hmh? I've worked for several small clinics and none tested me beforehand, but did evaluate my work immediately upon delivery, and if they were satisfied, I got to keep working for them, and they ALWAYS paid me for the work I did.

Yes, actual invoice sm - me

[ In Reply To ..]
That is why I need an original invoice from the MT, in case of audit, which I never received, which is not hard for 2 reports, stating responsibilities in the first place.

If someone who is 63 years old states several years of ortho experience and the doctor speaks extremely clear English (not to mention most of report is templated), you would not in your wildest dreams think there would be this many errors, especially with numerous samples sent, instructions, etc. Wow.... I only wished I had this easy of work assigned to me when working for nationals and pay. I am extremely fortunate with these dictators, whom I know personally and insist they dictate on a land line.

However, the most important issue is when I brought to her attention the critical errors (just a few out of numerous) not to mention the file was not even named correctly, I receive ranting and raving emails several pages long on, including how to run my business, this coming from somebody who stated was fired from several jobs in the last 1-2 weeks. Wow..... It is clearly evident why.

Never received the invoice, no doubt purposely, so she could rant and rave how she was supposedly cheated. Instead, she posts on and on about the injustice of her providing her own invoice, which took me 20 seconds. She even complained she did not have to test. LOL. Most complaints from MTs are due to long testing.

Definitely taught me a few lessons....

93 errors? How is that literally possible? - was it still in English?

[ In Reply To ..]
Just amazed and curious.

OP response - anymus

[ In Reply To ..]
First off, I was never "tested," and never sent her a resume with any statements of "experience." She "hired" me from this site because she "felt sorry for my sad story", contacting me through my email from a posting on here. I never solicited her for work, ever. She said she needed help and I said I would do what I could to help her. Secondly, the report with the alleged 93 errors was my very first report, a 50 minute dictation which took three hours to do. I was "in training" as it was a new specialty for me. She said, and I quote, "you did great!" upon receipt of the dictation. There were no 93 errors, either. Thirdly, it took her seven days to send me anymore work. When she did, I had been sick all day, was not "waiting" by my computer for her to send work, and had no idea that she had at all. She expected the work back within two hours of receipt, but never bothered to contact me whatsoever and got upset when the work was not returned within 2 hours, and started bashing me on this site because of it. I did the work then at 9:30 at night, still sick, still "in training," as it was my second report only for this lady, a new doctor, new specs, etc. I admit that I did not read the specs very well, just wanted her to get the report and stop bashing me on this site because the "report was late." There were allegedly more errors on that one, which I will admit to. I never put my name on any report...just my "initials" at the bottom....next to hers, which were part of the specs. I have all emails documenting everything she said about invoicing etc. Sometimes there are more than "two sides" to every story and not everybody knows the "facts" about anything. I told her I was "done." and I am. Don't be too quick to take the client's side, either, when not all the facts are known.
So you got job through your sad story, posted here. Now it is MTSO - fault that again you have a sad story SM
[ In Reply To ..]
that you are indignant about and posting here. Starting to see a pattern here.
Sad story..... - anymus
[ In Reply To ..]
was that jobs had been lost to EMR..not so different than anybody elses story on this board. Never "expected" to hear from anybody offering work and asking for help, never asked for work from anyone on this site, but there are others who are asking for work. No pattern here.
Then why did you email asking for work? - me
[ In Reply To ..]
If you did not expect to hear from anybody, why did you send the email asking for work and stating you did have orthopedic experience?

You were hired for overflow office transcription only, as clearly stated. You did not follow one single direction for the first report or the second. Not one. The rest of my workload is operative reports and procedure notes, out of your skill range, TAT, and mostly templated, which requires following directions and correct drug doses.

Professional tip: If you get back something from QA, do not email clients or employers ranting and raving several pages long, especially on major errors. Take note and/or fix report and move on, especially when that error could have killed the patient.

End of story. Drop it.
Oh no she didn't! - OMG
[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously? Lucky YOU didn't lose that account because of her.

"Professional tip: If you get back something from QA, do not email clients or employers ranting and raving several pages long, especially on major errors. Take note and/or fix report and move on, especially when that error could have killed the patient."

That makes no sense to me. - flmt
[ In Reply To ..]
Why would an MTSO solicit work from someone with no idea whether they can even transcribe? Just because it is said here does not mean it is true. Just one's word against another. I would not hire someone that had no experience for important work. Maybe though she was planning on training, but it just all sounds fishy to me.
Yes. Another interesting angle. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
OP - anymus
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know why she contacted me either, but I still have that email, as well. I even asked her straight out why she contacted ME, when there were so many others needing work just as much as me. It STILL "sounds fishy" to me, and I am truly sorry I ever got "involved." It will never happen again. The only "training" involved was sending samples and "instructions." I truly don't think that any MTSO, individual client, or whatever, would expect totally no errors on the first or even second of any dictations. There is always a training period and learning curve with new doctors and specialties. But, at any rate, I am done with this conversation.
You made serious errors, you sent unprofessional responses, you got fired - me
[ In Reply To ..]
End of story.
let it go - notworthit
[ In Reply To ..]
Just tell her to cease and desist from any further discussion as you wish to no longer be involved with her. For forty dollars it seems you are putting far too much effort into this. I would rather "tear up her check" than waste my valuable time. Be rid of this account and eat the loss. It will be worth it to get rid of her. Sounds like a deadbeat.
see message - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
I know what you are saying and I decided that very thing last night, but then got up this morn to find all the stuff she posted again and it angered me once more. There are lies being told, and not mine, but I am tired of "defending" myself and you are right, for $40, it is not even worth it. I have "blocked" her emails and really do not want any more contact with/from her. I appreciate your advice and I am taking it. Thanks! :-)

Yes, clear English-speaking with samples/templates - me

[ In Reply To ..]
The file was not even named correctly (no patient name), incorrect date of exam, INCORRECT NARCOTIC DOSE, dictation did not match transcription in several places, template normals erased when that was what he was dictating to keep in, etc. This doctor spoke clear English. Not one direction was followed. Clueless. This was a 2-page report. Then, when I point out the file was named wrong, DOE was wrong, and the narcotic dose was mcg instead of mg, I get numerous long emails ranting and raving as well as telling me how to run my business instead of "I will pay more attention next time" or "oops sorry." She had after all instructed me to tell her what mistakes she makes, so she can fix them. The narcotic dose could kill the patient (let alone the account if I turned something like that in). Then I am instructed she was to "transcribe and get paid for" practice dictation and not live dictation, as that is what employers do. I am not an employer. That does not even make sense. Why would I pay to transcribe practice dictation? I am not a school.

That same somebody is posting blatant untruths, stating I was not even telling the client I was subcontracting but calling it my own or implying I am doing something behind their backs? Her name was typed right there on the log sheets I sent to the client (hello, the clients do know I subcontract US MTs when I need it) as well as other untruths.

It is clearly apparent to me why she has been fired from several jobs recently. Scary.

There are Actually 3 sides to every story - her side, my side, then the Truth

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Unprofessional - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't intend to take sides because I don't feel I have all of the facts so I will simply state that bickering in public, on this board, is making both sides look very unprofessional. I feel like I am back in grade school.

Similar Messages:

Which Is More Important?
May 25, 2012

When researching medical transcription programs, I hear conflicting information on whether it is more important to have the RMT credential or to take a program that includes internship for the experience requirements.  Can you tell me which is more important in the real world of transcription? ...

WHAT THE ***? IMPORTANT!! ALL MUST READ!
Dec 17, 2009

The HITECH Act: Will You Be Fine, or Fined? FRANKLY, OUR GOVERNMENT SUCKS BIG TIME!  I AM STILL USING A WORK COMPUTER, IS THAT GOOD OR NOT??? Under the new Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act) that takes effect this upcoming February, you as a transcriptionist could now be directly liable for any private health information (PHI) that is stolen or somehow reaches the public domain. That could include any transcriptions you produce that are emailed ...

Regarding HIPAA - This Is Important For MTs
Jan 28, 2010

if we are to be held responsible for any kind of so-called 'security breach' which can be so easily manipulated to either just get ridf US MTs or at least make life a iving ____ for those of us left in these jobs (for example, if your reports are not 100% perfect - because 98-100% would no longer make sense because an error is an error and all are a security risk and breach - (this is so ridiculous I almost cannot even write it)); however, an MT can and will be fired for such?  Im ...

IMPORTANT! Every MT/MME Needs To Read This!
Mar 03, 2010

Just spoke to someone I know in TAA/Unemployement office.  FIRST TIME RIGHT is a gray area. We can fight this because it is a gray area. It is not right that if a doctor dictates and we cannot understand what they are saying for sure and we can get docked in pay, literally take money from us.  IT IS NOT LEGAL.   That is probably why the big bosses are on this board to see what they can get away with.  We have every right to fight them.  It is just wrong!  I WAS ...

Important/New Disease
Jul 02, 2010

Cancer of the breath.  Documented Source of Information:  ASR. (P.S.  Catch her...)   ...

If You Are An RMT, Is Having A Degree Still Important?
May 16, 2011

Hi all. I plan on taking the RMT test soon and feel confident of passing. My question is, if I do get the title, will employers care that I don't have a formal education in MT?... Would passing the test serve as adequate indication that I know enough to qualify? Thanks in advance. ...

IMPORTANT! NEW CAREERS FOR MTs.
Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular. My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc.  Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not like ...

IMPORTANT! New Career For MTs And To Get Out
Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular. My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc.  Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not ...

Why Proofreading Is Important
Aug 22, 2012

I just saw this sentence in a job posting on another MT site: I am looking specifically for someone for weekends first not weekdays, please do not reply if you are willing to work weekends.   ...

Someone Here Said We Should Save All Important
Jan 13, 2015

but how do you do this?  I tried to forward an email to another email address and it gets blocked (restricted - can't send).  If you get laid off/fired you lose access to your email immediately.  So I don't understand how someone here saves any on these emails.  ...

Important Questions
Jan 13, 2015

I am desperate to find a new path after being laid off from mgmt when my job was outsourced to India.  I can no longer support myself doing production and HAVE to find a new career.  I'm leaning towards coding but am hoping for some answers before taking the plunge and spending money I basically don't have.  Forgive me if these questions have been asked before, and thanks in advance for any help/advice you may have. If I successfully complete a reputable course and get ...

Does Anyone Else Have A Pet That Just Insists They Are Far More Important
May 27, 2015

than any work you have to do?!? I have a 70-pound dog insisting on trying to climb in my lap or just plain knocking my hands off the keyboards today! He's keeping me entertained though. ...

Important Info
Jun 22, 2015

http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/features/smartbuy/tech-news/nuance-transcription-services-on-a-hiring-mode/article7223533.ece/ ...

So If Demographics Aren't Important Enough For The
Jan 20, 2010

Why are we getting multiple e-mails about spending extra time on them because HIPAA is so important these days?    ...

Good Insurance Is More Important To Me Than Anything. Any
Jun 24, 2011

medical insurance with decent coverage ($500-$1000 deductible, 10% copay for tests, hospital stay, ops, etc), single premium employee contribution no more than $250 monthly.    ...

Webmedx MTs/QA Terminated - IMPORTANT!!
Sep 02, 2010

We can request a petition for Trade Adjustment Act assistance be filed against Webmedx because of the nature of this termination (reduction in force) and more than 3 MTs/QA were terminated.  Each one of you who was terminated: 1.  Immediately contact your state's Department of Workforce Services.  (A)  File an unemployment claim immediately.  (B)  Request that a TAA petition be filed.  Use the Atlanta location (Corp Office) and Pittsburgh location (Opera ...

What Do Hospitals Deem Important?
Oct 06, 2012

My friend works for a local hospital that I used to work for.  That institution just recently outsourced their MT department to Nuance. The hospital has hired a "Life Coach" to direct their "Learning and Development" department.  They have announced that the L&D section will be "massively expanding" in the near future.  Their mission is to come up with new worthless slogans (like they one they had in place when I worked there) to put on posters plastered all over the hospital ...

The Big, Important Meeting Today
Apr 17, 2013

I'm surprised no one has protested the fact that absolutely nothing was said about the NJA situation today, or what that means to our future working for MM. Why are our jobs no longer available? Will more be forthcoming? Will we be stuck with either no work or work from many different hospitals we're not familiar with? What is the immediate future of the American MT/ME? This whole situation depresses me terribly. Seeing our profession go under is like experiencing the death of a ...

Is It Important To Take A Coding Program That Is
Jul 29, 2013

or does it mostly boil down to going to a school with a good curriculum and then getting a certification? I'm trying to decide between a community college program and Career Step.  The community college program, I won't be able to graduate from until 2015, which seems like forever, but with Career Step, I could be done in a year from now.  Career Step is AHIMA approved, and MModal (my current employer) told me that the AHIMA approval is important. ...

Important To Consider If You Work As An IC On VA Accounts And
Aug 09, 2013

There are several threads on the Company Board about this right now.  The McNamara-O'Hara Service Contract Act provides that if you work for an MTSO and you are working on Veterans Administration (VA) or other federal contracts, you must be classified as an employee and be paid a prevailing hourly wage with some specific benefits.  You can file a complaint anonymously with the Department of Labor in the state in which your MTSO is located.  I have spoken to several people at ...

Lack Of Important Communication
Oct 22, 2013

There really needs to be a change in the level of meaningful communication.  A couple of weeks ago all of a sudden, there were no status updates.  It went from 2 a day even on the weekends to nothing for a week.  When I finally got one, the supervisor explained they were trying to determine how the work flowed without the status updates.  If I was a supervisor, that would scare me because it sounds like they are looking at ways of having less management personnel.  But, ...

3 Very Important Questions Have Surfaced So Far
Mar 11, 2014

Before moving forward and signing a contract for this position, it sounds like the 3 most important questions that keep coming up are: 1.  What can we expect to be paid after the training is complete.  If this isn't important to you then no big deal, but for most of us it was a very important element suspiciously missing from yesterday's email and no one should EVER sign a contract of employment (especially for 2 years) without FIRST knowing and being clear about what they w ...

Important Work? Couldn't Be
Aug 07, 2014

It's ironic how we get emails about how important we are to patient's medical care and safety, yet we get paid a beggar's rate. Flipping hamburgers is a more important job; no customer wants a burnt hamburger, which explains why you can make more money at McDonald's. ...

Important Video About Automation
Aug 17, 2014

ALL jobs that can be automated, are.   Not addressed in the film was the costs of making and maintaining these robots.  Also not mentioned was the fate of unwanted and unneeded horses..../people. ...

Important Conference Call Tomorrow?
Sep 10, 2013

Important conference call tomorrow.  Wonder what is going on now. ...

Reposting This Because I Forgot 2 Important Tips
Jun 27, 2014

So, I'm not really asking for a show of hands here, but have you been "moved" in the last 2, 3 weeks or so to a hospital account in the upper northwest part of the country that is rather a booger-bear to learn? It is INTENTIONAL, you will be FIESA'd to death if you are not already. (You were likely told that they need you there because it is a difficult account to keep staffed, at least that is what they told the last person). Just warning you. Be on the lookout for that one plan ...

IMPORTANT NOTE. Check Your Line Counts.
May 25, 2010

I POSTED DOWN BELOW EARLIER ABOUT MESSED UP LINE COUNTS.  We are hitting the holiday weekend.  Line counts are off. Go to your statistics and type in date May 1 through May 15 and what does it show you? Go to your statistics and type in dates May 16 to todays date and what does it show you?  Type in May 19 to 21 or May 18 to 19 and what does it show you?  EVERYONE SHOULD CALL ON THIS.  Supposedly, there is not enough people calling for them to do anything about this. ...

An Important (shocking) Report Just Released About Some Schools
Aug 02, 2012

A report from a two-year study was just released about 30 of the very large colleges that are approved for federal financial aid. Of the students who enrolled in these large for-profit colleges during the 2008-09 academic year, 54 percent withdrew by summer 2010 without earning a degree, according to the report. Nearly all of those students are being left with a huge amount of debt that they can't discharge, even through bankruptcy. Rather than putting most of the money into student resourc ...

This Is America Where People Are Important - Not COWS! So Stop Telling Me I Have "inactive"
May 16, 2012