A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IMPORTANT! NEW CAREERS FOR MTs. - Get out of MTSO companies for good.

Posted: Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular.

My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc. 

Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not like the point and click method of dictation.  The other physicians who do are usually young and computer savy.  These few physicians who are computer savy happen to do very well when they are in the exam room during a patient physical and are able to not only type their own dictation on the computer in front of patient, but also have good patient contact at the same time.

The other 78% of the physicians "despise" being with a patient at the same time having to type info in the computer.  In fact, physicians are losing patients because of this problem.  The patient feels the physician does not care about them as a "patient" and feel their computer is more important.  Also is taking too much time for physicians to have to type or point and click info while examining the patient.  Physicians are not liking what is happening with the transcription work by having to pay high costs to MTSO companies and also physicians are not wanting the work sent to other countries.  To much HIPAA liabilities.  

TO FIX THIS PROBLEM?????  The medical staff and personnel have decided to create a new job called (several names) Scribers, or MA Scribers, or medical scriber, or med scribe, or medical assistant scribers.  No, this is not related to MedScribe the company. 

Here are a couple of websites of medical scribers: 

https://ochsner.myvurv.com/main/careerportal/Job_Profile.cfm?szOrderID=12810

http://www.medicalscribe.org/

This new career is taking off.  I am currently in a medical assisting program and with my knowledge of medical transcription for 20 some years, this will help me to get a job.  You can work in clinics, hospitals, etc.   

The Medical Scribe will document the patient's history and physical, the physician's interaction with the patient, the procedures performed, the results of laboratory studies, and other pertinent information. This may be accomplished by using a COW (computer on Wheels) which the Medical Scribe takes with him or her throughout the shift.  The Medical Scribe may also be responsible for ordering laboratory/radiology studies, assisting with the patient's disposition documenting consultations, and notifying the physician when important studies are completed.

This whole new career is taking off and physicians have voted for wanting to have their dictation in-house or rather in-clinic settings by having a scriber.  Physicians are not so much into the point and click method and prefer  a human being to help them through this process of dictation and the future of EMR/EHR because in the long run, it will be more cost-effective to have a human being do the work then a computer operated by an MTSO company, especially overseas. 

You can apply to FASFA which is free and fill out the information.  This will help you not only pay for your schooling, but also give you extra money to help live on if needed, although you do have to pay it back with no interest or little interest.  It is like a grant for some.  Check your local community college???  

Hope this helps, but I am extremely very excited about learning this information today.  It should give us all hope and if we all get employed with this new career, then we get to leave MQ and start making the average of 38,000 a year as a scriber with awesome benefits.  We can leave the board of directors scrambling and trying to find newbies to fill our positions or better yet, how about the board of directors sit and edit the dictation for the measely 4 cents a line to fill in the gap.  Smile

I've seen it at all my local hospitals - It is called a nurse. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Scribes - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Where I work, the MAs do this, or the provider types his own note while in the room with the patient. The rest of them use ASR and do their own editing.

In our local hospital, they're basically untrained - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
clerical type people who have no medical knowledge & just type & click answers to a specific set of questions. They don't make much above minimum wage.

One difference being - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]
that you no longer are able to work from home. In addition, many smaller hospitals (like those here in the Midwest) are going to find it difficult to pay for that many scribes. They are looking at going from a team of transcriptionists who handle all their dictation to hiring scribes one-on-one. Many will not be able to justify that expense. Bottom line - the doctors may not like the EMR/EHR, but they are not the ones who make the decision at the hospital. The hospital administration makes that final decision, and all they care about is the bottom line.

Not to rain on the parade -- I am also excited to see a new career opening up where ours is shrinking. Scribing IS a good opportunity for many -- but, realistically, it will not "replace" MT completely or be a good fit for all MTs to transition to. IMO, scribes will become much more common in ERs and clinics for sure, but I don't feel many hospitals will pay for their staff to have that one-on-one scribe for the H&Ps, discharges or certainly Op notes. I see a lot of these positions being filled by the interns, PAs, med students -- people already following the doctor around. The hospital isn't going to add another person to the room and another salary to the list.

I would hate for all MTs to go running out to sign up for yet another career that makes big promises it can't keep like the MT programs now that promise $50,000/year...

Actually, scribing is close to what MT was back - in the days of shorthand, before - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
dictaphones came about. If they're now looking for MTs to sit in the office with them while they examine patients, then it looks like MT has come full-circle!

And if that's the case, then I'll hold out for when plain ol' dictaphones, cassettes and typewriters come back into play. Which is where we would all be if (and more likely, WHEN) some major catastrophe happens to the Internet that causes major and long-term disruption to the communications system.

I actually miss my old mag-card machine. I could type all day on that thing, and its memory for macros and normals was limitless, unlike the memory IBMs that came later.

Finally, a post based on reality, thank you - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

already talked about this last week I think, but thanks. - no name

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

That sounds great! But.....sm - mb

[ In Reply To ..]
My local community college is so behind the times they still have a medical transcription program! It's so frustrating to want to lean new technology and it's not even available in my area.

Wow! Well I am going for it. - Refuse to sit on my butt

[ In Reply To ..]
and constantly be demoted and have benefits taken away and one day you wake up and boom, MQ fires you for some stupid reason for a sweat job profession. I have too much class than to be treated like crap.

AHDI even talked about MTs training to become - SCRIBES.

[ In Reply To ..]
http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/11/trsi-to-train-medical-scribes.html

Some of the salaries of scribes below:

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search/q-medical+scribe

http://www.trsinstitute.com/why_scribe.shtml

Dont fall for any more "training" BS - If you're - already an MT, you can scribe, no sweat. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Yep, we're already overly trained for that step-down position. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yeah, you're still an MT, but you're doing it - by hand, while standing up. nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Hah! AHDI finds another money-making scheme? - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Scribes have been used by hospitals in my area for a long time, not new. They are medical students and get paid very little for it. Why on earth would a hospital pay an MT higher wages for this position when they are getting this service done by the medical students practially for free? In the local ER here, these jobs are considered low pay "grunt work."

Don't fall for AHDI scam if they are offering high-priced "training" for what MTs already know.
AHDI would probably start charging MTs thru the - nose to take shorthand classes! LOL...
[ In Reply To ..]
I sure wouldn't put it past 'em. They're probably trying to sink their greasy claws into coding, too.

"A typical medical scribe is a pre-med student who works part time while in school for roughly - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

MT profession - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Is there anyone who feels that when all is said and done,maybe not much will change from the way it is now?

Seems like rather than the point and click system, the hospitals/physicians could have developed more standards, e.g. for physicial exam the doctor could say, "Use my standard for physicial exam but change HEENT to the following ...

ROS could be done this way also.

The doctors wouldn't be bothered by point and click and it would have the same effect of saving time and money.

Other ways to save time would be to encourage doctors to dictate in a quiet place, dictate on something that produces good sound quality. If they can't speak English or don't dictate well, they should be encouraged to delegate that to someone who can do it for them.

What a difference in time it would make if standards were used whenever possible and the MT could understand and hear what is being dictated.

Similar Messages:

Changing Careers Maybe--any Info On "Scoping Careers" Sm
Apr 11, 2010

Does anyone know anything about this company and/or this program/career?  Thinking of changing careers.  Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Switching Careers From Mt
May 18, 2010

Any of you thought of switching to dental laboratory technician, you can work independently a lot of times and they make pretty decent money.  Or do any of you know a dental lab tech and if they like their job, just looking around for something else to do besides MT ...

MT's Enjoying Their Careers?
Oct 30, 2011

If you are a MT that actually enjoys your career choice please leave a post or send me an email. I would like to know how you make it work and stay happy with your career choice. All i see on this forum is people complaining about their career choice, low rates and no available work. So how do you handle this? How many jobs do you have, how do you schedule more than 1 job, materials & resources you use to assist you and any other info you can give me. Just like every other career there are ppl u ...

For Those Who Want To Change Careers,
Nov 30, 2011

google "TAA petition" and read the website to start one against MQ for displaced workers since they are sending all the work to India, especially those displaced due to buyouts.  This is an excellent way to get school paid for to change careers and to make MQ pay for their indiscretions.  Finally, a way to gain from all of this. I think you can contact your department of labor in your state if you have any questions also. ...

For Those Who Have Switched Careers
Feb 15, 2012

I am considering going to school to get a certificate/AA type of training, possibly in MA, pharm tech, or massage therapy, that sort of thing.  If you have experience with this, did you run into the "newbie" catch-22 thing where you have to have experience to get a job or can you usually find something right out of school? ...

Other At Home Careers??
Jan 13, 2015

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other honest work at home companies other than transcription? I recall a while back someone mentioning their son working for a company at home basically taking incoming calls for I think Direct TV, but didn't directly work for Direct TV, he worked through a different company. I've been doing MT work for 15 years and like many I'm tired, I'm bored. I don't want to search for days just to find a ton of scams or jobs that pa ...

Scoping Careers International Has Anyone Ever
Feb 20, 2010

checked into this option or actually worked with these people? ...

YahooNews: Future Careers.........
Apr 06, 2010

Career Tools > Career Articles > Future Careers: What's Hot, What's Not Future Careers: What's Hot, What's Not   by Gina Pogol, FindtheRightSchool.com   Preparing for a career is a serious business, and the wrong choice can be costly. You don't want to graduate after several years' work only to find that your industry has relocated to China. Technology has affected labor markets in two ways: First, companies jumped on labor-saving devices ...

Scoping Careers International
Aug 28, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of this company.  Scoping Careers International Thanks! ...

TRANSCRIPTIONISTS CAREERS ENDING?
May 02, 2011

HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT TRANSCRIPTIONISTS WILL NO LONGER BE NEEDED IN THE YEAR 2013 AS PHYSICIANS WILL BE GIVEN INCENTIVES TO CARRY LAPTOPS AND ENTER ALL INFO IN? ...

If Not Transcription/editing Then What Other Careers?
Jun 24, 2012

Hi all  It seems alot of people on here are discouraging people from getting into the field. But, I've been wondering, what then would be some good alternative fields to get into? I can type 90wpm and am good at organizing things. I haven't worked in like 2 years (due to agorophobia)  and I need to get my life back on track. I need to go to school for something, but I'm just not sure what to get into if not medical editing. ...

Careers MTs Switch To--Ideas?
Sep 06, 2013

What type of careers are any one of you who are leaving MT or who are former MTs are retraining for? I'm very undecided. I'm not too crazy about being in school a long time or least longer than 1-1/2 to 2 years. I thought about coding but heard that that field is changing too like MT. I would like to stay in the medical field but I'm not sure about the degree of direct patient contact I want. I thought about radiology technician but not really sure. Any ideas to at least all ...

Former MT Wanting To Change Careers But Lost
Jan 02, 2013

Hello, Worked as an MT from 1994 until 2010. Starting have problems with my hands in 2003. Becoming an editor saved my life in 2005 and was able to work on broken hands a couple more years. The editing became even more painful with changing every other word, pay went down, and I found myself with a repetitive stress injury (tendinitis). Lost my workers comp case, although doctor said injury was caused by being an MT for 16 years, however, judge wasn't hearing it as workers comp had ...

Becoming An MT #5 On The List Of Hottest Medical Careers. What A Joke!
Jan 17, 2012

Copied and pasted from YAHOO News just now.  01/17 at 10:55 p.m.  just popped up.    Career #5: Medical Transcriptionist When physicians and medical professionals need to communicate important information, they turn to medical transcriptionists who translate doctor's notes into medical reports and other files. Why it's hot: A large percentage of medical transcriptionists work in hospitals, but there will be an increased need for their work in editing transcr ...

Which Is More Important?
May 25, 2012

When researching medical transcription programs, I hear conflicting information on whether it is more important to have the RMT credential or to take a program that includes internship for the experience requirements.  Can you tell me which is more important in the real world of transcription? ...

WHAT THE ***? IMPORTANT!! ALL MUST READ!
Dec 17, 2009

The HITECH Act: Will You Be Fine, or Fined? FRANKLY, OUR GOVERNMENT SUCKS BIG TIME!  I AM STILL USING A WORK COMPUTER, IS THAT GOOD OR NOT??? Under the new Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act) that takes effect this upcoming February, you as a transcriptionist could now be directly liable for any private health information (PHI) that is stolen or somehow reaches the public domain. That could include any transcriptions you produce that are emailed ...

Regarding HIPAA - This Is Important For MTs
Jan 28, 2010

if we are to be held responsible for any kind of so-called 'security breach' which can be so easily manipulated to either just get ridf US MTs or at least make life a iving ____ for those of us left in these jobs (for example, if your reports are not 100% perfect - because 98-100% would no longer make sense because an error is an error and all are a security risk and breach - (this is so ridiculous I almost cannot even write it)); however, an MT can and will be fired for such?  Im ...

IMPORTANT! Every MT/MME Needs To Read This!
Mar 03, 2010

Just spoke to someone I know in TAA/Unemployement office.  FIRST TIME RIGHT is a gray area. We can fight this because it is a gray area. It is not right that if a doctor dictates and we cannot understand what they are saying for sure and we can get docked in pay, literally take money from us.  IT IS NOT LEGAL.   That is probably why the big bosses are on this board to see what they can get away with.  We have every right to fight them.  It is just wrong!  I WAS ...

Important/New Disease
Jul 02, 2010

Cancer of the breath.  Documented Source of Information:  ASR. (P.S.  Catch her...)   ...

If You Are An RMT, Is Having A Degree Still Important?
May 16, 2011

Hi all. I plan on taking the RMT test soon and feel confident of passing. My question is, if I do get the title, will employers care that I don't have a formal education in MT?... Would passing the test serve as adequate indication that I know enough to qualify? Thanks in advance. ...

IMPORTANT! New Career For MTs And To Get Out
Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular. My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc.  Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not ...

Why Proofreading Is Important
Aug 22, 2012

I just saw this sentence in a job posting on another MT site: I am looking specifically for someone for weekends first not weekdays, please do not reply if you are willing to work weekends.   ...

Important Question
Oct 21, 2012

I am asking for opinions and suggestions only...no bashing, please. I "worked" for a client as an IC for a total of one week, two dictations, equalling about MAYBE $40 in pay. I have not actually counted lines, so I don't know. This "client" and I did not see eye to eye on MANY things and I decided it was not in my best interest to continue working for her, so I gave notice that I was "done."  She continues to email me even though I have stated in no uncertain terms that I was done, a ...

Someone Here Said We Should Save All Important
Jan 13, 2015

but how do you do this?  I tried to forward an email to another email address and it gets blocked (restricted - can't send).  If you get laid off/fired you lose access to your email immediately.  So I don't understand how someone here saves any on these emails.  ...

Important Questions
Jan 13, 2015

I am desperate to find a new path after being laid off from mgmt when my job was outsourced to India.  I can no longer support myself doing production and HAVE to find a new career.  I'm leaning towards coding but am hoping for some answers before taking the plunge and spending money I basically don't have.  Forgive me if these questions have been asked before, and thanks in advance for any help/advice you may have. If I successfully complete a reputable course and get ...

Does Anyone Else Have A Pet That Just Insists They Are Far More Important
May 27, 2015

than any work you have to do?!? I have a 70-pound dog insisting on trying to climb in my lap or just plain knocking my hands off the keyboards today! He's keeping me entertained though. ...

Important Info
Jun 22, 2015

http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/features/smartbuy/tech-news/nuance-transcription-services-on-a-hiring-mode/article7223533.ece/ ...

So If Demographics Aren't Important Enough For The
Jan 20, 2010

Why are we getting multiple e-mails about spending extra time on them because HIPAA is so important these days?    ...

Good Insurance Is More Important To Me Than Anything. Any
Jun 24, 2011

medical insurance with decent coverage ($500-$1000 deductible, 10% copay for tests, hospital stay, ops, etc), single premium employee contribution no more than $250 monthly.    ...

Webmedx MTs/QA Terminated - IMPORTANT!!
Sep 02, 2010

We can request a petition for Trade Adjustment Act assistance be filed against Webmedx because of the nature of this termination (reduction in force) and more than 3 MTs/QA were terminated.  Each one of you who was terminated: 1.  Immediately contact your state's Department of Workforce Services.  (A)  File an unemployment claim immediately.  (B)  Request that a TAA petition be filed.  Use the Atlanta location (Corp Office) and Pittsburgh location (Opera ...