A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Unemployment question. I work a part-time job outside my home and may be getting laid off soon. I - Wilson

Posted: Mar 23, 2011

nm

Sorry. I also do transcription at home as an IC. Will being an IC prevent me from gettin unemployme - wilson

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

yes... because you have to report it as income - harry

[ In Reply To ..]

Unemployment - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
You can collect unemployment from the job that you will be laid off from regardless of if you work at home as an IC. However, you will have to claim your IC work as income when collecting unemployment. The unemployment office will deduct your income from your IC position and will pay you the balance you are entitled to collect. Say if you make $100 a week at your IC position and you are entitled to unemployment benefits of $350 - they will pay you benefits of $250. Of course it depended on how long you worked at your outside job, as unemployment determination goes by quarters - at least in the state of Maine. Good luck to you.

IC and UE - in my state this is how it works

[ In Reply To ..]
I know all states are different but I would call your UE office and check again. In California there is a maximum cap that anyone can make per week on UE. To try to explain lets just use $600/wk is the maximum cap. If your salary in the past quarter was over $600/wk between both jobs and you get laid off and say now you are only making $450/wk. In Cali you can qualify for the difference or $150/wk which would take you up to the max you can recieve. If you were really lucky and making $1,000/wk and you are now only making $450/wk you can still only get a max of $150/wk. If you were out and out fired from both jobs you could collect the entire $600/wk as long as your previous wages qualified you for that much. I work a per diem job and every time I work I have to report my earnings and they reduce my UE by the amount I earned so in essence there is no incentive to work unless you can find a job that will pay you the kind of money you are used to or want to make. Hope that is clear. I would call back and ask if you can collect UE up to the maximum you qualify for if you are still working one of your two jobs.

I think it depends on where you live. You will have to - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
report your income for the job you will still be doing but you may be eligible for unemployment for the job you are being laying off from; but, again, it depends on where you live. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the replies. I called and I do have to report IC income which means I will not get unemp - wilson

[ In Reply To ..]
because my IC jobs pays more than my outside job. Guess I need to find another IC job!!! Wish there were more of those out there. Thanks again.

Similar Messages:

Were All The Laid Off MTs Part-time?
Sep 16, 2013

I was wondering if any full-time MTs have been effected by the layoffs and does anyone know if more layoffs are planned soon. I am still looking for something else, but stuck here right now. ...

Do Laid Off Part Timers Get Severence Or Just Full Time
Apr 04, 2013

I think severence is just for full time but not sure. ...

Unemployment While Working Part Time IC
Feb 25, 2015

I have a question concerning unemployment and I hope I can word this correctly. I have 2 jobs. One is IC with a very small volume - about 1500 lines per 2-week pay period. I also have a full-time job as an employee. I will be laid off my full-time job this Friday due to loss of work. I am considering filing for unemployment, but I wonder how my IC job will affect my unemployment, if at all? I also have an option of receiving more work from the IC job, but still would not be making as much as I d ...

How Much Does An At-home MT Make Part Time?
Nov 08, 2009

I was wondering if anyone would share their wages with me, because  I read on this forum that lots of MT's are upset about the way that the MT schools are saying that you can "make so much money", and I am going through careerstep (about to take my final actually). I wanted to realistically grasp how much money I could really be making with this career. I am wanting home-based because I have an infant child.     ...

Question For At-home Part-time Employees. Sm
Jan 26, 2013

I will be going part-time soon (Social Security) and am considering whether to work about 4-5 hours a day for 5 days a week or work 3 days (7-8 hours each).  Not sure if the 3 days is even allowed, but I know some co-workers are doing 4-day weeks@10 hours a day.  My question is which do those of you who are already part-time like?  I see advantages and disadvantages to both.  We are required to have set schedules. With a 5-day schedule, having the rest of the day free. With ...

Home Office Work - Part Time Only
Mar 18, 2013

Just by chance, does anyone know of an office job or other work from home, part time only? I am an MT myself but know of someone needing just an office job from home, she is not an MT. Any ideas would be appreciated. ...

Confused About People Laid Off Part Time Flex, Thought Flex Position Was Eliminated Years Ago
Aug 17, 2013

I am part time but not flex. I wanted to go flex but my CCM told me that they no longer had flex positions available. This was probably 2 years ago.  How is everyone part time flex? ...

What's The Hour And Line Count Differences Between Part Time And Flex Part Time?
Jan 12, 2012

I'm currently flex part time only working 18 hours a week but I do have a set schedule.  What are the requirments for part-time and how may hours per week do you have to work.  Also, is there a difference between the line counts for part time and flex part time. Thanks. ...

Any Partial UE (or Laid Off) MTs Having Trouble Getting Paid Unemployment?
Sep 13, 2013

CA just changed computer systems and 1000s of workers haven't been paid.  It's a mess and getting media attention now.  My paper claim was lost and payment is being delayed.  If you think MTs are grumpy on forums, you should see the UE forum crowd.  lol   Anyway, I'm not panicking yet, but hopefully it gets cleared and I'm paid by next month. ...

Laid Off. Questions Regarding Working At Home
Apr 30, 2013

I was laid off from my part-tme MT position.  I have 30+ years experience in acute care transcription.  I am researching what MT companies, if any, provide equipment.  I also prefer a company that does straight transcription, acute care.  I have a laptop but prefer not to use it.  If need be, I would purchase a desktop.  I have wireless.  I do not have experience with VR.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.     ...

Why Are Some CCM's Telling Those Laid Off That It's ALL Part Timers?
Aug 17, 2013

I am part time 24 hours and not a peep out of my CCM/TSM/whatever she is yet.  I would think I would be first in line because she is always giving me a hard time about my hours and my pause time, etc.  Is it still coming?  If not, why are they lying? ...

I Just Got Laid Off For The Third Time This Year
Dec 16, 2013

I was laid off from my in-house MT job earlier this year due to the hospital outsourcing, went to work at a MTSO and was laid off 3 months later due to them being bought out by a bigger company, then went to work as an IC for a smaller company only to be laid off today due to them losing their largest account.  I am not going to let this defeat me, but I'm starting to feel like something is wrong with me as an MT!  Well, maybe this is a blessing in disguise.  Maybe now I shou ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

How Many Full-time Tier 3 Employees Were Laid Off?
Apr 05, 2013

There has to be something behind this selection process. If I were streamlining the company, I would lay off starting with tier I (because tier 2 and tier 3 can also do the work) and then tier 2 (because tier 3 can also do the work).  I think MModal will eventually end up with only tier 3 employees in the US, and they will force them to all become MMEs.  JMHO. Don't know how may part time people are tier 3, but I would imagine employees w/o benefits are cheaper than employees wi ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

Is MM Part Of DND Mgt/Assisting Hands Home Care?
Sep 03, 2014

Got an email about viewing my online paycheck stubs, and they used my name as it is through MM, which is not normally how I use my name, so makes me wonder if it's legit?  It's also on the correct day that our check stubs would be available through Ultipro.  Did anyone else get this? ...

Optiscript Part Time To Full Time
Nov 19, 2011

Does anyone care to share that if you are hired at optiscript part time will they let you change to full time easily? I know they are a small company and do not over hire so I do not know how easily this could be done.  I am thinking of cutting down to part time at my current employee so I can work part time elsewhere and eventually just leave my current employee once I see how the land lays elsewhere.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated :) ...

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...

Anyone Gone From Full-time To Part-time With This Company?
Mar 21, 2012

I am strongly considering going to part-time, just hoping to get opinions from anyone who has gone from full-time to part-time or opinions from anyone who has just always been part-time.  Thanks! ...

Nuance: From Full-time To Part-time
Apr 26, 2012

Would anyone be willing to post info on this? I am considering switching to part-time. Wondering how amenable the company is to such requests. If you have done this, were you able to keep same schedule or were you forced into a different schedule? Thanks for any thoughts! ...

Questions Re Going From Full Time To Part Time. Sm
Aug 08, 2012

Has anyone been allowed to go from full-time to part-time employment with Nuance?  Were you able to keep the same basic schedule?  I won't be ready to do this until early next year, so not asking HR at this point. Thanks for any responses! ...

Nuance - Part Time To Full Time?
Aug 08, 2012

I see the post about going from full to part time, but what about the opposite?  For example, if I get hired at 30 hours per week and I have extra time available for a few weeks, can I consistently work more hours than those scheduled 30 hours?  Thanks for any insight you can give. ...

Change From Full- Time To Part- Time.
Sep 10, 2012

I am still debating whether to enroll at Andrews or M-TEC.  My husband is retiring in 2 years and I want to be able to work part-time after that.  Is it realistic to think that I can complete the course at Andrews or M-TEC in 12 months at the most, work full time for a year and then part-time after that.  I would want to be able to work from home.  I guess the other question is "How long after graduating could I expect to earn enough to make it worth the investment, in a reas ...

Is It Easy To Go From Full Time To Part Time At MM?
Feb 18, 2013

I hired on at full time but want to drop 2 hours off a day.  Do they make you change shift or accounts in that case? I don't want benefits so don't care about that.  I worked at Nuance and any change in schedule ultimately ended up in an account and/or shift change.   TIA ...

From Full Time To Part Time With MModal?
Mar 04, 2013

from full time to part time w MM?  I am so burned out trying to work full time hours, I honestly think I would get the same pittance of a check working part time.  Thanks.   ...

Has Anyone Moved From Part-time To Full-time With The
Apr 26, 2013

same company? If so, was it a good decision? I'm thinking of doing that. Thanks. ...