A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question for at-home part-time employees. sm - FT to PT

Posted: Jan 26, 2013

I will be going part-time soon (Social Security) and am considering whether to work about 4-5 hours a day for 5 days a week or work 3 days (7-8 hours each).  Not sure if the 3 days is even allowed, but I know some co-workers are doing 4-day weeks@10 hours a day.  My question is which do those of you who are already part-time like?  I see advantages and disadvantages to both.  We are required to have set schedules.

With a 5-day schedule, having the rest of the day free.

With a 3-day schedule, having 4 days free, but 7 hours a day is getting to be too grueling for me. Doing 8-hours (40 hours a week) currently. Tired of sitting so much

Thanks for any comments on how it is working out for you.

SM - MTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I went from 40 hours (4 days a week) to 30 hours (3 days a week) on a set schedule, and I didn't like it at all. I thought I'd love having all those days off during the week, but I just spent all my days off thinking about how I had to go back to that long shift. It would have been much better to do shorter shifts over more days. My rear end is much happier on a shorter shift schedule.

Thanks MTMT. sm - FT to PT

[ In Reply To ..]
That is kinda what I am concerned about with doing long shifts and having 4 days off..I'll never want to go back to work when "Monday" comes along.

Know what works for me - PR

[ In Reply To ..]
I work 3 days per week and 1 weekend a month (when I can take back the weekend hours during the previous week if I like). I work the 12-8 shift evenings and works really well for me. I sleep late but arrange any appts I need either before going to work at noon or on my days off. I also draw SS, waited until full retirement age. Are you there yet or drawing early? If early be sure and not go over what you can make otherwise SS will have you paying back plus anything over their amount they have this taking back a dollar for every 3 you make. Ugh to that. You probably would not find the 8 hour day that bad if not working 40 hour week.

Burnout on long shift - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to work 14+ hours a day when I had my own clients, but didn't suffer the frustration of horrible dictators at half the pay, and then the boredom and frustration of editing at even half that amount. I don't think I could tolerate doing this full time anymore.

Thanks Angie. sm - FT to PT

[ In Reply To ..]
Yikes 14 hours! I have done 16 on occasion when I got backed up, but would not want to do more than 8 on a regular basis. Oh..you are so right about the quality of dictators and editing. Editing puts me to sleep, so I quite often end up transcribing instead at the editing rate. I know...stupid, but it keeps me more alert.

Thanks PR. sm - FT to PT

[ In Reply To ..]
That is what I would be doing in reverse as I am a morning person and hubby and like afternoons and evenings free. I will be drawing early SS? Thanks for the reminder about earning limitations for early retirement. It will be tricky, but I am planning to cut my hours a month before SS kicks in as suggested by the SS rep I talked to.

Good thing about cutting hours - 1 lady here - P

[ In Reply To ..]
after starting with SS then made over the limit (she took early before full retirement age of 66) and SS held several checks from her. I would hate to start counting on the money each month only to have that jerked out from underneath me. I also did not like the fact of them taking $1 from each $3 if I made too much- I am not good with math and so, so glad I waited until full because now can make as much as I want and don't have to have Uncle Sam breathing down my neck.
I retired early,made too much in 2012...SM - Old Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I retired at 63, and I made over $14,640 in 2012. Information I have from SS says they deduct $1 for each $2 earned (not $3), so they are withholding January's and February's checks, and I'll be back in business for March. The $1 for every $3 is concerning anyone who reached full retirement age in 2012 and made over $38,880 until the month they turned 66. Needless to say, I am being very, very frugal right now because I counted on that monthly check. I've also actually tried to slow down my earnings so as not to go too much over this year when it's $15,120. I can't go to part time because I need to be full time for health benefits. I can drop down to part time in 15 months when I'll be able to sign up for Medicare. Can't wait!!!!
Thanks for the comment, you must have been the 1 - PR
[ In Reply To ..]
I was thinking about. Sorry about the 1 for 2 instead of 3, remember not good in math! I did not take Medicare because husband's insurance was better but had to take part B (if hospital stay Medicare pays what your regular insurance doesn't). I knew I would have issues with trying to figure out how much I could/could not make and glad I waited.
So the cut off now is $15,120? I really have no - choice but to take SM
[ In Reply To ..]
early retirement at 62 (we are struggling so much and all bills are overdue, utilities have been cut off at times, etc. My SO lost his job about 3 years ago and the job he found did not pay as much. He also got SS at full retirement age. Still not enough to pay the bills.

In 2010, my wages started to drop with a buyout and another buyout dropped me again just recently. I work PT because I can't physically do FT (although even PT work close to 35 hours a week). We don't live high on the hog either. We live outside Washington, D.C. (Maryland) and the cost of living here is outrageous.

I'm really not sure what I will be making a year since the latest pay cut just took effect in January but I would bet it would be below the cutoff. I was going to file online but do you think I should talk to someone on the phone as well? Good luck to all of us.
I went to SS office, then filed on-line...SM - Old Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The SS office is local, so I dropped in one day (had to wait a while though). I found out what my benefit would be vs. my former husband's (married over 10 years), but my benefit was larger. I also picked up booklets to take home explaining everything. I thought about it for a week or so, then applied on-line. If you are closer to 63, apply about 6 wks prior to your birthday and your benefit will be a little bit higher. If you can't wait, keep in mind that if you get approved,say in February, your benefit is held back a month. Your first full month of SS will be March, but you won't get that check until April.
Buyouts - FT to PT
[ In Reply To ..]
Buyouts. Yep, that is the main reason I had to file for early SS. Had planned to wait until full retirement age, but after my long-time employer was bought out, the new company cut our pay to the bone. Really stinks.

I filed on line, but kinda of wish I had gone to an office to file so I could ask more questions. Definitely would call and ask questions before you apply. Don't know if the earnings limit for early goes up every year or not, but it sure did for 2013.

The thing is, I still don't have a response to my on-line ap other than they received it and looks to be in order so far. Rep on phone said I probably won't hear for another couple months by mail since I am still several months away from eligibility. Hate waiting for their decision. So, be prepared to wait for a decision unless you are already eligible age-wise.

p.s. The on-line application was very easy to do. Make sure you have a printer ready if applying on-line.
Went to social security office twice before I - PR
[ In Reply To ..]
started my SS because I needed answers about what if, that being wanted to stay on hub's insurance, did not want Medicare if I could get around it and the what if was say he was not working or died then I would not have his insurance any more and was told could immediately go over and have Medicare coverage. I had to take part B, think I said earlier that covers hospital admissions. What his insurance does not pick up then Medicare would pay rest which is a good thing, wish they did that for outpatient visits, colonoscopy costing over $6,000 recently and I am paying about $600 left over. SS tried to get me to take early retirement and did not want at all. I went in probably about 6 months before my 66th birthday, that was full age retirement for me then. I read SS is going to direct deposit only, no more paper checks, not sure when that takes effect and also if wanting to visit office, best to make appointment. My office was packed the days I went. I started with retirement pay about 3 years ago and since then have had 2 raises, not in 2011 but this year and the first year I took it. They say cost of living. The MT companies do not know about this apparently. Never thought about retirement on husbands. Wonder if they would consider 10 years if you added all marriages together? Hehe.
I talked to a someone from SS on the phone - Ruth
[ In Reply To ..]
and she was very kind with me and explained everything. I took it one year before my correct retirement age and still could make nearly $38K without a penalty. I then went part-time, which was what I needed to do.
I hope you don't mind my asking... - L&L
[ In Reply To ..]
I'll be 62 in October and can start taking out around 750/month from a TIAA-CREF account from my divorce. Do you think this would count as earnings?

Do you mean they deduct $1 out of $2 earned OVER $14,640. I'll assume that is gross, not net. What if you earn 14,640 plus enough to be more than twice your Medicare benefit?

Thanks for any info. I didn't realize you could to to the office and talk this over with their people. I'm not confident in government employees. It's good to know you can find out what you would get based on your ex's salary. I assume that is based on earnings only during any 10 years you were married, right? Once they hit 6+ figures, they always dump you for another man.

I'm with MModal so my future is nothing but uncertainty, death, and taxes.
The earning limit was raised for 2013 to $15160 I believe - IAMT
[ In Reply To ..]
for early retirement SS and that is gross if you are an employee and after deductions if IC. Actually that could possibly mean working full time for an MTSO anyway;-) but I do watch my figures closely. Don't be afraid to call the SS 800 number. I found them to be very congenial and knowledgable and they certainly answered all my questions. Ask also about the first year you apply if you take SS at 62-1/2. I found a benefit to doing that as there is an exception to the earning rule that first year. They can answer your questions about that other income/fund, I do not know that.

Tell ya what, my SS pays the bills and the wages go to retirement (which I should have paid more attention to over the years), cuz I don't plan to completely not work and it sure is a more pleasant life than stressing over work and took a load off in this crazy economy and working in this MT industry. Figured I paid into my fund since I was 16 and I would have been so bummed if I died at 63 and never got any of what I paid in. Then again, guess I wouldn't have been around to know or be bummed, huh? Just my take on things but works for me. I am more careful and watchful now than ever before, but happy with my decision and enjoying slowing down a bit. Worked 60 hours a week for years and my SS amount is not that shabby even with taking it early. Course there are increases most years, not much a month but covers a night out with friends I didn't do before.

Best wishes from my desk to yours;-)

You will probably be taxed - P
[ In Reply To ..]
on the income from the divorce just as any other income. I am taxed on my SS income right along with earnings, taxed on retirement fund, have to start taking out from my IRA this year (70-1/2) and will be taxed on that. No matter where the income is from, taxes are right there to take part of it. I only heard about the $1 for every $2, did not apply to me as I waited until full age retirement.

Re: Part-time - Ruth

[ In Reply To ..]
I am part-timer, working 30 hours a week and also getting SS (I am 67). I work a five-day week, six hours each day. This gives me two days a week off. I have found this to be optimal for me, but may change it to a four-day week, as I would like an extra day to work on hobbies, etc. I think each of us have diffent needs, etc. Is it possible you could try a couple of schedules and see which one fits best for you? Good luck! I think SS is a blessing.

Ruth, your part time sounds like full time, my goodness - PR

[ In Reply To ..]
You are still putting in the 5 days a week, is that required for your particular place, the 30? I am so glad I now do the 3 days a week, sometimes wiht the dictators that seems excessive! I have my SS check going to 1 acct, job money to another and then during the month transfer over the SS money when needed. The money is a blessing but now I think I have gotten much to use to it plus the income from work, hard now to even think of retiring ever because of the incomes.

No, not required - Ruth

[ In Reply To ..]
I set it up that way because I like it.

Huh? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe you should work more then? 30 hours sounds over 5 days sounds excessive to you and it's "hard now to even think of retiring"

I wonder why.
Just do the math, simple answer - PR
[ In Reply To ..]
Money.
Huh? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Thought you were bad at math. Your post makes no sense.

Ruth. sm - FT to PT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your thoughts. I have thought about 30 hours, as well, but it would be difficult to stay below the minimum since I will be receiving benefits early. That is a good idea about trying out schedules. Maybe they will be amenable to that. Good luck to you, as well. Will be nice to actually have time to enjoy life for a change instead of being glued to my desk. yewwww.

FT to PT - Ruth

[ In Reply To ..]
I find that 30 hours works just fine for me--enough so I do not get bored, but not so much that I get tired. I have always wanted to go to India but have never had the money, and perhaps if I can save some extra, I can go. Good luck to you. I hope they will let you experiment with what works for you as well!
Never would I travel to India - Precious
[ In Reply To ..]
and I love to travel. I absolutely hate what I have to transcribe day after day and the majority of the dictators are from? Yep, you guessed it.
Precious - Ruth
[ In Reply To ..]
I won't let prejudice spoil what could be a lovely trip.
You have that completely wrong, not prejudice - Precious
[ In Reply To ..]
Married to someone other than my own race. Do not assume what you don̢۪t know. I so dislike the speech is what I speak of. I have beautiful trips, not to places where my nerves would be on edge.

PT schedules - what I do is, s.m.

[ In Reply To ..]
work 4 5-hour days. That way I work 2 days, have a day off, work 2 days, have 2 days off. It is wonderful!

PT schedules. sm - FT to PT

[ In Reply To ..]
yes, that sounds like a nice schedule, too! Thanks.

Similar Messages:

How Much Does An At-home MT Make Part Time?
Nov 08, 2009

I was wondering if anyone would share their wages with me, because  I read on this forum that lots of MT's are upset about the way that the MT schools are saying that you can "make so much money", and I am going through careerstep (about to take my final actually). I wanted to realistically grasp how much money I could really be making with this career. I am wanting home-based because I have an infant child.     ...

Are There Any Part Time Employees Left?
Aug 29, 2013

I wasn't on the boards for a little while, and now I'm seeing posts about all the part time people being laid off.  Is this true?  Do we know this for sure, or just speculation? ...

Home Office Work - Part Time Only
Mar 18, 2013

Just by chance, does anyone know of an office job or other work from home, part time only? I am an MT myself but know of someone needing just an office job from home, she is not an MT. Any ideas would be appreciated. ...

Does MQ Hire Statutory Employees Or Is It Just Part-time?
Jan 20, 2012

I need flexibility because I home school.    ...

Does Anyone Know If Keystrokes Hires Part-time Employees? Nm
May 04, 2012

nm ...

Is The Incentive Plan For Part-time Employees, Too? Sm
Dec 11, 2012

Someone chatted online during the meeting that the incentive program is for full-time employees only? Is this true? I'm part-time but can make the lines in at least Tier 2.  ...

Unemployment Question. I Work A Part-time Job Outside My Home And May Be Getting Laid Off Soon. I
Mar 23, 2011

nm ...

What's The Hour And Line Count Differences Between Part Time And Flex Part Time?
Jan 12, 2012

I'm currently flex part time only working 18 hours a week but I do have a set schedule.  What are the requirments for part-time and how may hours per week do you have to work.  Also, is there a difference between the line counts for part time and flex part time. Thanks. ...

Home Office Deductions For Employees
Nov 18, 2009

I did some research and have found that at least according to Federal Government guidelines, you can deduct home office expenses if you are an employee.  The one big stipulation is that you are working at home because it is convenient for the employer.  In other words, they cannot provide you with an office.  Of course, in our case that is a no-brainer.  The rest was pretty straight forward and much the same and I am doing now for tax deductions as an SE.  My accountant ...

Questions Re. How Employees Work At Home
Jun 24, 2010

I'm a recent graduate of an MT program and have been reading a lot on the board about different companies and how they work. Could some of you nice people explain briefly how MTs who work at home as employees of a company do some things? There's an awful lot of info out there on the boards to try to take in! I assume one would log in and out on their computer at the beginning and end of a shift. It sounds like most company's employees do work set shifts - right? I actually did ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

Is MM Part Of DND Mgt/Assisting Hands Home Care?
Sep 03, 2014

Got an email about viewing my online paycheck stubs, and they used my name as it is through MM, which is not normally how I use my name, so makes me wonder if it's legit?  It's also on the correct day that our check stubs would be available through Ultipro.  Did anyone else get this? ...

Optiscript Part Time To Full Time
Nov 19, 2011

Does anyone care to share that if you are hired at optiscript part time will they let you change to full time easily? I know they are a small company and do not over hire so I do not know how easily this could be done.  I am thinking of cutting down to part time at my current employee so I can work part time elsewhere and eventually just leave my current employee once I see how the land lays elsewhere.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated :) ...

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...

Anyone Gone From Full-time To Part-time With This Company?
Mar 21, 2012

I am strongly considering going to part-time, just hoping to get opinions from anyone who has gone from full-time to part-time or opinions from anyone who has just always been part-time.  Thanks! ...

Nuance: From Full-time To Part-time
Apr 26, 2012

Would anyone be willing to post info on this? I am considering switching to part-time. Wondering how amenable the company is to such requests. If you have done this, were you able to keep same schedule or were you forced into a different schedule? Thanks for any thoughts! ...

Questions Re Going From Full Time To Part Time. Sm
Aug 08, 2012

Has anyone been allowed to go from full-time to part-time employment with Nuance?  Were you able to keep the same basic schedule?  I won't be ready to do this until early next year, so not asking HR at this point. Thanks for any responses! ...

Nuance - Part Time To Full Time?
Aug 08, 2012

I see the post about going from full to part time, but what about the opposite?  For example, if I get hired at 30 hours per week and I have extra time available for a few weeks, can I consistently work more hours than those scheduled 30 hours?  Thanks for any insight you can give. ...

Change From Full- Time To Part- Time.
Sep 10, 2012

I am still debating whether to enroll at Andrews or M-TEC.  My husband is retiring in 2 years and I want to be able to work part-time after that.  Is it realistic to think that I can complete the course at Andrews or M-TEC in 12 months at the most, work full time for a year and then part-time after that.  I would want to be able to work from home.  I guess the other question is "How long after graduating could I expect to earn enough to make it worth the investment, in a reas ...

Is It Easy To Go From Full Time To Part Time At MM?
Feb 18, 2013

I hired on at full time but want to drop 2 hours off a day.  Do they make you change shift or accounts in that case? I don't want benefits so don't care about that.  I worked at Nuance and any change in schedule ultimately ended up in an account and/or shift change.   TIA ...

From Full Time To Part Time With MModal?
Mar 04, 2013

from full time to part time w MM?  I am so burned out trying to work full time hours, I honestly think I would get the same pittance of a check working part time.  Thanks.   ...

Has Anyone Moved From Part-time To Full-time With The
Apr 26, 2013

same company? If so, was it a good decision? I'm thinking of doing that. Thanks. ...

?? Full Time At IMedx/part Time
Jun 18, 2015

Just asking if anyone knows what is considered full time for Imedx and what is considered part time?  ...

Full-time To Part-time
Mar 09, 2010

For those who went full time to part-time with MQ (because you got another job)...how did that work?  Did they approve the schedule you wanted, or did they make you take a schedule?  My CCM told me in my area there is no more flexible part-time available but could do regular 24 hour part-time...she said she would have to approve my schedule if and when I do this.  I may be doing two part-time jobs to start and I am trying to figure out how to do my scheduling around both jobs.    Does a ...

Anybody Know About Getting Time Off For Part-time Status
May 04, 2012

I just switched to part-time status due to a court reporting program I have been taking and need 4 hours a day to practice my speed.  I couldn't really figure out the time off situation. I don't care about PTO but want to take time off when I need it.  Anybody know anything about this?  Thanks.  ...