A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I just got laid off for the third time this year - Merry X-mas to me

Posted: Dec 16, 2013

I was laid off from my in-house MT job earlier this year due to the hospital outsourcing, went to work at a MTSO and was laid off 3 months later due to them being bought out by a bigger company, then went to work as an IC for a smaller company only to be laid off today due to them losing their largest account.  I am not going to let this defeat me, but I'm starting to feel like something is wrong with me as an MT!  Well, maybe this is a blessing in disguise.  Maybe now I should get my butt back in school and finish my bachelor's degree and do something completely different.  Only one year to finish my bachelor's degree in finance - should I just go for it and leave MT behind?  I'm thinking I should!

It's not you (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
If it makes you feel any better I have been laid off 3 times prior to 2012 due to running out of work or lost accounts. Now employed a whole year, but fear losing work every day. I highly recommend you get out and continue to get your Bachelors while you are able to. I'm in my 60's with no other means of support, nor the energy to go back to school but still considering it. Hope things work out for you.

If you are in your 60s are you not eligible for social security? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

In your 60's - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I am also in a predicament. I will be 62 in June, but I was laid off in March. Now I am on my first Tier but it's supposed to stop emergency tiers at the end of this month (December). I have to apply for SS March 1, but they said I don't get my first check till August. I can't find a friggin job, I can't stand on my feet or walk for very long at all, so I'm not qualified to work at Wallmart or be a cashier at the local gas station. But I can do medical transcription at home, which I have done at home for 13 years now, plus a total of 31 years of working the same.
But, if I work before I apply March 1st, I won't have to apply for SS, plus I will keep adding a little more to my SS stock pile, and the longer I wait, the more money I'll get from SS. My main problem is I don't know if they are going to pass the emergency tiers after December and my lease is up by the end of this month. I can't plan anything cause I don't have a job and I may not get any more unemployment. So I feel like I'm going to be homeless very soon. I have thoughts of jumping in front of a train because I know what it's like to try to live with relatives. My friends have no room for me and my ex-boyfriend is the only one that reluctantly said I could live with him. He is a control freak and I can't live with him. I don't know what to do with my things, he only has very little room, plus he won't help me cause he has a "bad back". So I would have to leave everything here. Anyone else in the same predicament?? Okay, thank you for letting me vent.
I can't open my private messages on mtstars - me
[ In Reply To ..]
I clicked the download button and it acts like it downloaded it, but I never got the run option so I don't have anything in my downloads. I can't figure it out. Maybe there are other options.
sorry, thank you
mtstars has private messages? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
that's news to me.
Uh oh, maybe it snuck in there as an advertisement - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Anyway, it was right under the word ADVERTISEMENT and it said Open private message. And I clicked on it and then it told me to download to view private message and to press run after I download this software. Now I don't know if that was some kind of hack thing.
Yes it was an advertisement. Do not ever load - anything like that off this site SM
[ In Reply To ..]
It's always an advertisement of some sort, dont ever trust clicking anything on this site. They have cookies and tracking software for targeted advertising. Every time I visit this site, I always see advertising for local companies or things pertaining to what I've recently searched or looked at.

But if you block the ads, you dont get the vote like/dislike option on posts. JMHO.
Warning! - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a super-protected custom-built computer, firewalls that are strong, etc. and whenever it says private message, I get a message from my security system saying to NOT open it.
It says - Advertisement right above it-nm
[ In Reply To ..]
xxx
I hope you're okay.... - Hiya07
[ In Reply To ..]
I hope your vent includes you not seriously thinking about ending it all! Please take one day at a time and know things will get better. Please go to your local workforce office and see if they can help with tailoring your work needs to another type of job you might not have thought of. If you can, work as many jobs as you can at home to make it. That's what I do right now. I work for 4 different places because one has something when the other one doesn't and that's how I make it right now. It's terrible but I have to keep my head above water until I figure out what else to do cuz this is not it. I understand but please know I will say a prayer for you.

Oh no, that's not it. You're just fine. But there is definitely something - wrong with MT now. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Were you most recently working for TF? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

No, I wasn't. - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

TF as in Transform? - curious

[ In Reply To ..]
A few friends told me they'd been laid off at Transform/Command Health. Wondered if they were cutting staff.

TF as in Task Force - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Happy New Year - You've Been Laid Off
Jan 04, 2012

What's an IC to do?  As much as the company bragged about being in the local paper a month ago, they claim to have lost a huge account and have to let go all those working on it.  Not eligible for unemployment, 4 kids at home from 5 to 20, a mortgage . . . thank goodness I'm on Cymbalta!  I need to find another job - ASAP.  Can anyone out there recommend a company that offers employee status, where I won't have to work 1 weekend day????  My resume is prett ...

Were All The Laid Off MTs Part-time?
Sep 16, 2013

I was wondering if any full-time MTs have been effected by the layoffs and does anyone know if more layoffs are planned soon. I am still looking for something else, but stuck here right now. ...

How Many Full-time Tier 3 Employees Were Laid Off?
Apr 05, 2013

There has to be something behind this selection process. If I were streamlining the company, I would lay off starting with tier I (because tier 2 and tier 3 can also do the work) and then tier 2 (because tier 3 can also do the work).  I think MModal will eventually end up with only tier 3 employees in the US, and they will force them to all become MMEs.  JMHO. Don't know how may part time people are tier 3, but I would imagine employees w/o benefits are cheaper than employees wi ...

Do Laid Off Part Timers Get Severence Or Just Full Time
Apr 04, 2013

I think severence is just for full time but not sure. ...

Unemployment Question. I Work A Part-time Job Outside My Home And May Be Getting Laid Off Soon. I
Mar 23, 2011

nm ...

First Time I Have Been Out Of Work In A Year
Dec 05, 2012

But it has been slim pickings for a while..Guess the overseas is hitting us, or the new hires, there have to be a lot cause I see a TON of mistakes when I go in Docqmanage. Oh well, you get what you pay for. ...

Is This The Norm For This Time Of Year - Meaning
Nov 24, 2012

long does this usually last? I am in the process to applying for other jobs to places in my area, non-MT and even got a couple resumes out for some Part Time IC positions. Wondering if I should apply for partial unemployment? Is this a yearly thing this time of the year? No work for the past two days and looking at the statistics, there is only just over 12,000 jobs out there company wide and for each job out there, there is probbly 5 MTs waiting and hoping to snag it. ...

Best Time Of Year For Coding School?
Apr 30, 2014

Hello.  I was wondering if there is a best time of year to start coding school so I wouldn't have to buy many more books or new books when having to take an exam.  I know a lot of factors would go into this, such as how long it would take me to do the course, but was wondering anyway.  I plan to go through Andrews.  Thanks so much for your input! ...

America's Pride - No Work, Is This Normal For This Time Of Year?
Jan 27, 2011

I've worked at America's Pride since last spring so I never went through a holiday season with them before.  Work started drying up around Thanksgiving, and over the last few weeks, has been almost nonexistent.  I am currently making less than $10/day, sitting here for hours, watching as not a single job on my accounts come in.  Lately, no jobs for ANY account come in. Is this usual for this time of the year?  Should I be worried about that recent email we got with ...

Confused About People Laid Off Part Time Flex, Thought Flex Position Was Eliminated Years Ago
Aug 17, 2013

I am part time but not flex. I wanted to go flex but my CCM told me that they no longer had flex positions available. This was probably 2 years ago.  How is everyone part time flex? ...

Why Are We Told This Is Slow Time Of Year? MTSO Told Me This
Dec 09, 2010

make up all late reports, etc for the end of the year.  At my MTSO it is anything but slow, Getting lots of reports from Sept and Oct. ...

How Would You Type: For The Past Year-year And A Half?
Sep 09, 2011

.. ...

Pt Has A "several Year" History Of A Slowly-growing Mass. Hyphen Several Year?
Jan 25, 2011

? ...

Year Old Versus Year-old
Aug 28, 2014

If no noun following such as female or male should this be hyphenated, i.e. if stated "A 10 year old has stomachache".... should it be "A 10-year-old has stomachache" ..... ...

Anybody Been Laid Off By MQ?
Feb 18, 2010

I hear MQ employees are eligible under the TAA to get re-training paid for in another field, but how do you get "laid off"???  ...

Laid-off
Jun 23, 2010

Recently laid-off and I am looking for a job. I was just wondering, being an IC medical transcriptionist has anyone ever qualified for unemployment?? I know this is considered self-employed and most states will not give you benefits, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever gotten benefits being an IC.   Thank you for your time. ...

Getting Laid Off
Mar 01, 2011

4th time in 4 years. Sick of this!!! Will be finding something new to do. ...

Laid Off
Apr 04, 2013

I was laid off today too.  I have been with the company for 8 years.  I consistently make my quota by a long shot, at over 375 lph.  I had my audit a month ago at 99.3%.  I am a single mom trying to support my family, and no, there was no warning, no severance, no nothing.  My supervisor said it is across the board, and she did not have an answer for me as to why me.  I spent the day working on my resume and job hunting and came here to see if anyone had any answers.  To those of you in t ...

If You Are Laid Off, PLEASE TELL US
Jul 24, 2013

TIER REGION PART TIME OR FULL TIME so that maybe we can find a pattern for this. We're sorry for you all but know you will be going to a better place. ...

If You Were Laid Off
Jul 24, 2013

It seems like a lot of the folks who were let go had been with MM a long time. Just curious if there is a trend here, do you mind letting us know what your e/t cpl rate was? Did they just let go of those who were making a decent wage?  ...

How Many Laid Off?
Jul 24, 2013

Does anyone have any idea how many were let go today?  It doesn't seem like many, but of course only a fraction of MModal MTs actually come to this board. ...

Laid Off.....
Jan 12, 2015

Well, it's official.  I just got the call that I am officially laid off!  I am glad that what I knew was inevitable has finally happened so I can move forward, but at the same time can't help grieving over the loss of what once was a career that I loved and was good at.  It's not just the company I worked for; it's the whole medical transcription industry, so as of right now I am totally THROUGH with medical transcription! ...

Laid Off, No Notice
Nov 19, 2009

I just got laid off from Proscript in an email, I think this was very cold, no warning, no 2 weeks notice, nothing......I have worked for them since 2005, this is just wrong..... ...

Those Laid Off From Webmx
Sep 26, 2010

Did you get a severence or any sort of financial support?  ...

Laid Or Lain? Help
Jul 15, 2011

I have this hint that normally helps me:  “lie, lay, lain” (to recline); “lay, laid, laid” (to place or put down). The sentence is:  "The patient was brought into the endoscopy suite and 'laid' in the left decubitus position."  I was thinking it should be lain, but the patient was technically "put" in that position, so it should be laid.  Correct?  I've gone and confused myself. ...

I Wasn't Laid Off
Apr 06, 2013

I was straight-up fired.  I own it, as well as my part in it (production).  I feel for anybody else in my boat.  My husband, thankfully, has a good job so I can take a minute to breathe before plunging back underwater.   I love being an MT; too bad it's an unrequited love.  :/   I was straight-up fired (last week).  I own it, as well as my part in it (production).  I feel for anybody else in my boat.  My husband, thankfully, has a good ...

If You Are Fired/laid Off, Do You
Apr 06, 2013

or at the end of the month. I am making appts like crazy, just in case... ...

Laid Off From M-Modal
Aug 22, 2013

It was never my choice to work for Mmodal anyway, I was an acquisition.  But as I was perusing the help wanted lists, the horrible thought occured to me,  what if I got bought by Mmodal again? I think I am going to get out of this racket entirely, retire my foot pedal, hang up my earphones for good!  (And it has to be for good, it can't really get that much worse, can it?) ...

FOR ALL LAID OFF EMPLOYEES TTA (?)
Nov 08, 2013

First let me tell you I was laid off after 9 years last August.  I was told many lies like all part-time employees are being laid off, you won't be able to get unemployment, don't feel bad you didn't do anything wrong.  I applied for unemployment and have been getting unemployment ever since.  I got selected (yeah me) for a special project going on with the UE commision and the lady who I report to is wonderful.  She believes M@Modal made a plethora of errors a ...

Laid Off Question
Feb 12, 2014

Hi, I was laid off from MModal and I understand there is a federal program or a company that helps people possibly with going back to school and stuff and MModal already has an open case number. My computer crashed that had this information on it and if anyone can help it would be greatly apprecaited.  Thanks in advance. ...