A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

BEWARE: WordMed.Biz is promoting Career Step - VF

Posted: Jul 26, 2013

Don't waste your time testing for WordMed.Biz unless you just want to get some practice in and you have time to waste.  Just know that no matter how well you do on their test, you will be told you did not pass and you will be encouraged to pursue additional training with Career Step. 

I know that I passed their test because I was able to answer practically every question just by inserting the answers from my macro dictionary. I also know for a fact that my answers were correct because my macro dictionary is what I use everyday on my current account and my work passes QA without a problem.

I copied and pasted their ad below and I also pasted the notice you will receive after taking their test.

MTs and QAs w/5 yrs exp. Needed Immediately - Drew

Posted: Jul 25th, 2013 - 10:51 pm

MTs with 5 years experience please go to www.WordMed.Biz  "Join Our Team", to complete an application and take the test.  We're headquarted in Ohio, but internet based.  Work from home.  USA only.  Mental Health account. MT $.07/65 VBC line.  Lots of work.  All shifts available esp 2nd and 3rd.  HIPAA compliant.  Computer, High Speed Internet, Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 only.  Word 2003 or 2007.  QA will discuss $.

After wasting your time filling out the application and taking the test, here's what you will receive for your effort:

Thank you for your interest in WordMed.Biz. Unfortunately, you did not pass this portion of the exam with the minimum required result.
We strongly encourage you to pursue additional training with Career Step, our education partner. Career Step offers an on-line, competency-based training program designed to develop the skills necessary to succeed in this fast-paced environment. For details on enrolling in this program, please
click here.

WordMed.Biz - I passed - BabyBunny

[ In Reply To ..]
This statement is not true. I passed the test, and after a week or so was contacted and offered a position with them. It's straight transcription too.

I agree - I had taken several

[ In Reply To ..]
of these MTTests and failed, also thinking they were promoting Career Step, but each test is individually composed by the company using it. Most companies use the BOS as their means of evaluating accuracy. You cannot use a word expander while taking this test, as the computer is looking for certain keystrokes. If you use an expander, the keystrokes will confuse the computer and you will fail. You have to be very specific in your answers. I realized that even though I THOUGHT I knew the answer, I did not. It may have been spelled incorrectly, or the grammar was off. You must research while you are testing just to be sure. It takes time to go through these tests correctly. You cannot "rush" through by using an expander, and always keep in mind that whatever company you are working for now may use different terminology, grammar, spelling, punctuation, or whatever than the testing company is looking for. Read the instructions carefully, and follow them to the T...or you WILL fail every time. Keep that in mind when testing again.

FYI - MT Test veteran

[ In Reply To ..]
If you insert answers from macros rather than typing them out, it might confuse the system, they might have considered that cheating. The tests are graded by computer and something like that might produce an error message. Also, the entries must be an exact match to their answer key. For example, if you capitalize a word instead of using lower case, that will be graded as being incorrect. Almost every MTSO uses this method of testing, and almost all of them are affiliated with Career Step, who sponsors the testing sites. If you would have passed this portion of the test, you would have been prompted to take a transcription test. All I can suggest is that you try again or test with a different company.

WordMedBiz - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
I passed the test. Then, about 10 days later, I received an after-hours "urgent" message via voicemail from the person who I believe is the recruiter. She explained that they pay only 7 cents per line with no spaces included. I never heard from them via email. In fact, I sent an email to them, at the email address posted on their website, in which I asked a few questions. After more than a week, I have received no response. I wonder why they cannot or will not communicate via email?

WordMedBiz - MT Test Veteran

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe they are out of the office and don't have access to their mail? Maybe they have a lot of applicants to respond to. My internet security blocks access to their web site so I was not able to check them out. If you have a phone number, maybe you could call them; personally, I'd be skeptical of any company that did not provide a phone number, I'd also be skeptical of "after hours urgent voice mail." I had problems with the wording in their ad, but I am super cautious.
run run run - investigator
[ In Reply To ..]
Web site looks boiler plate. No addresses or identifying info other than phone numbers. Really? Seriously? My sniff detector says opportunistic preying on desperate people. Let's show em how "dumb" we really are. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.
Reply - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
The voicemail I received from them was urgent and at 4:30 pm on Friday. I guess I could have phoned her at 10pm, which is when I actually received the message. However, it was the same phone number as posted on their web site for their entire "office." So, the purpose of sending them an email was to respond, but not to play phone tag over the weekend. Also, I had a few questions that I thought were best listed in an email. This gave me a chance to find out how they communicate via email, which is not at all. I personally wouldn't have minded the 7 cpl without spaces if the dictators were clear-speakers, with the ability to make lots of expansions and not spend a lot of time looking up names and places, etc. But, it would have had to have been VERY easy and extremely flexible for me to end up accepting a position at this low rate. Walmart is not so easy to work at. Plus, I really don't want to commute.

FYI- MT Test veteran - VF

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for that information. That makes sense, knowing that I had the correct answers and still did not pass. In the future, I will continue to use my macros because after 18 years of building my dictionary, I have all the correct spellings there including the correct drug spellings; but next time I will use it only for quick reference and just type in the answers instead of using my shortcut keys. I'm just so used to using those darned shortcuts. :-)

Gotta ask - who would work for .07 without spaces?! - Maggie May

[ In Reply To ..]
You could make more money working at McDonald's or WalMart.
First thing I thought too. That is the lowest I have ever seen for straight typing (nm) - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Maggie May - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Ialwaystoldpeopleiftheydonotpayforspacestheydonotgetthem.

Test is fake - feltx

[ In Reply To ..]
I just took this test and it said I failed. I laughed. I have taken so many tests and put in lots of applications this past week. These tests are pretty much the same with almost the same questions/format. I have passed all the other ones, but failed this one and was referred for more training. Lol.
I think it's fake too - A
[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's fake too. I have taken a few tests, all the same. This is the only one I failed. So, yay, it's not just me!

The pay is 7 cpl for characters only, no spaces! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Am I missing something here? Why are so may people testing for this company? That equals out to approximately 5 cpl with spaces for straight typing. I have never heard of such low pay.

Just saw that - feltx

[ In Reply To ..]
it was without spaces. Glad I failed! :)

nopayforspaces - Montana

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a job like this one. I was told 9 cpl but it's really 7 cpl with not being paid for typed spaces. It's just a way of getting around telling you what you are making but some of us have figured it out.

Similar Messages:

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

Beware Any Of These Coaches For Career Or Life Change.
Mar 11, 2015

The last one on here wanted to charge $497 for a 3-month package of some junk book and phone coaching and followup coaching sessions.  I've got her email.  I'd hate to find out what her "expanded " package costs.  You can find all the same information on line yourself for free.  How much time have you already spent job searching on line?   Don't waste your money with these people and your time.  Use your time wisely yourself. You could also lik ...

Anyone Know About Career Step?
May 12, 2010

wonder if anyone here, or if anyone knows of anyone who utilized Career Step for either their MT program or their coding program ...

Career Step MT And MTE
Sep 13, 2010

Hi, I haven't enrolled yet, but I've pretty much decided on Career Step (mostly because of price!). I was wondering if anyone has any input as to whether it's better to take the MT course or the MTE course. Do you need the extra editing experience? I'm sure any extra is helpful, but is it necessary to have the editing training to get an MT job with an online company? Thanks in advance for any info! ...

Career Step???
Mar 04, 2011

Does anyone know if in-state tuition for career step is $350???  That's what they told me. ...

Career Step - Knows Good Or Bad
Jan 26, 2010

I am just curious if anyone knows good or bad about Career Step Medical Transcription and Medical Billing/Coding online courses.  I would appreciate any opinoins about this particular online school.  Thank you. ...

Re: Career Step Final
Feb 03, 2010

I was curious to hear if anybody failed the second part of the final? I got a 13% on the second part only because I was having serious trouble hearing the doctor clearly. I took that final last June, and I am wanting to take the final again in May. I am worried that I am going to come across the same problem even after practicing for so many months and getting helpful tips from the Career Step final. I am currently working part-time typing overflow reports and I am doing rather well with that. S ...

Career Step Has Job Openings
Apr 28, 2010

Fancy that! ...

Enrolling In Career Step
May 11, 2010

I am going to enroll in Career step tomorow.  I looked into Andrews, but if I had the 1000 to put down I would not be looking for a new career.  LOL.  Wish me luck! ...

Disappointed In Career Step
May 29, 2010

I'm very disappointed regarding this medical editing course being offered by Career Step.  In my opinion it's a terrible way to take advantage of newbies who are worried about the job market and willing to pay anything to upgrade their skills, when every employer I've ever heard of trains their MTs on VR.  I can't imagine an employer requesting a course in medical editing in addition to the standard MT course.  I myself am a Career Step grad, have been gai ...

Career Step And Unemployment
Jun 09, 2010

Do you know if it is possible to take career step courses for coding and still collect unemployment. I do not qualify for the displaced worker program and they will not let me keep my benifits if I chose to go to a regular community college. I have no idea how the reporting is done, but I would really like to get into coding (currently an MT). I have enough in savings to pay for the course, and I am pretty sure I could get it over with fairly quicly, but I don't want to push myself to work ...

Career Step Or TRS Institute?
Oct 15, 2010

I am trying to decide which school to go with.  I have read good and bad about both Career Step and TRS - does anyone have any additional considerations for me before I make my decision? Thanks! ...

Career Step Or Andrews??? SM
Nov 05, 2010

I am very interested in a coding career.  I have been doing medical transcription for the past 10 years and am tired of chasing after the money.  I need stability.  Coding has always seemed like a very interesting job.  I want to choose a course that is the most detailed so that I have the best chance of passing the certification test(s) and be able to land a job.  Can anyone advise on a great online medical coding course?  Thanks guys!!!! ...

Andrews VS Career Step
Jan 26, 2011

Hi everyone, I have been looking at both Andrews and Career Steps programs for coding. I am leaning more towards Andrews, but I am worried about the amount of writing assignments you have to do. Are these long assignments? What type of stuff do you have to write about for a coding course (without giving away too much info)? Career Step is completely online, and for some reason that just does not seem like the best way to go. I feel that you really do need hands on kind of work, and I don' ...

Purchasing A Used Career Step Course
Jul 25, 2011

I don't know how it will work as far as "enrollment" actually goes, but I'm really looking to do more of a self-taught kind of thing anyway. I know that access to instructors is important, and I have already arranged for that through my local college. Worst case scenario, I'm out $25.. but for that price, I couldn't pass it up!! Thoughts? ...

Career Step Vs SUM Program?
Aug 25, 2011

I'm currently enrolled @ Career Step and stumbled across this forum tonight.  This is the first time I've heard about this SUM program.  Should I be nervous that Career Step doesn't use this program?  I admit, I did not have the money for Andrews or M-tec and thought the AHDI certification was the important thing.  Now I'm not so sure.  Will I be passed over by recruiting agents without this knowledge? Thanks   ...

Andrew's Vs. Career Step
Oct 10, 2011

What is the difference besides price on these two schools? Do companies hire based mostly on what school you graduate from or by how well you test?  Does one school really prepare you better than the other, or are you paying for the name? ...

Career Step Vs Andrews
Jan 16, 2012

Okay, I know Andrews is the best, but has anyone taken Career Step and had any sucess?  It is an approved school on the AHIMA web site, but I don't ever hear anyone say anything about going through them for coding.  If anyone has, I would like to know if you were able to pass the CCS after completing the course?  My parents want to help me pay for school, and I hate for them to think I went and found the most expensive one out there; although, I know it is the best.  I just wondered abo ...

Andrews Vs Career Step Sm
Apr 20, 2013

I am trying to decide between Andrews and Career Step for billing and coding.  The only question I have left is how the learning is done.  It looks like Career Step is study on your own. at your own pace.  I can't find anything one way or the other on the Andrews site - are there interactive online classes or is it study on your own and then test?  Also, Career Step says the tuition includes Complete set of industry codebooks (ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS).  Andrews ju ...

Career Step Textbooks?
May 04, 2013

I have narrowed my choices down to Career Step or Andrews for coding.  I know that Andrews provides all the necessary textbooks, but I cannot get a clear answer as to which textbooks actually are included with the Career Step program. Are there any current or former students of the Career Step coding program who would be willing to tell me which textbooks they received? Thanks much!       ...

Career Step Problems
Jan 30, 2015

I have to be honest. I truly felt that Career Step's training was thorough and prepared me well for a career as an MT. I had an extensive background in terminology, but the transcribing was new for me. Nonetheless, I completed all transcription modules with over 98% accuracy. I can type over 100 WPM. So, when it came time to take the final, I felt confident. I mean, I passed the multiple choice questions with flying colors and only got one wrong. But, apparently, I did so poorly on the tr ...

Career Step Or Andrews?
Apr 17, 2015

Can anyone tell me the difference in the 2 programs? Will someone come out of CS ready to sit for the CCS/CPC? I know/hear on here that Andrews has the best, most comprehensive program but Career Step has a job placement program after graduation ...granted it is low-paying, but it is more like an internship for 13 weeks. After that you can get hired for $15-$17/hour or more.... However their program is almost half what Andrews is.... I just am trying to make the best decision for myself. I am re ...

Opinions On Career Step's MT Program
Feb 26, 2010

I am looking to get some opinions on Career Step's MT program. Has anybody been able to find a job after completion? Any information would be greatly appreciated!  ...

CAREER STEP Payment PLANS?
May 09, 2010

If anyone has taken Career Step, do you feel you are being challenged and that it is worth the money? Do they have payment plans? ...

Career Step MT Editor Supplement Course....
May 25, 2010

Has anyone taken this course to learn speech editing?  Is it worth the $?  Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!  ...

Career Step Coding Graduates.....
Mar 01, 2011

1.  How long did it take you to complete the course? 2.  Were you able to pass the certification exam? 3.  Are you working as a coder? 4.  Overall opinion on the career step coding course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Career Step Educational Tax Credit??
Apr 17, 2012

Hello. My wife just finised the Career Step course in March. She is already employed and doing great. My question is in regards to any 2011 tax credits/breaks we can claim as she studied full time at this program. Can we claim that she was a full time student for at least 5 months? Any thoughts?   Have a great day...   Jeff ...

Career Step Companion Textbooks
Apr 20, 2012

For anyone currently enrolled in Career Step's Coding program: Could you please let me know what books are included in the companion textbook package for this program. If I could purchase these for a lower price than what they are selling them for it would be great. Even though I believe the price is low compared to book costs for college programs, I would still like to comparison shop if possible. I am enrolled in a community college starting this summer that utilizes the career step progr ...

Career Step Medical Transcription
Jun 09, 2012

Where to start? I was the top MT at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs Regional in Waco, TX. I have also been a proofreader for a top notch advertising agency in California and my first job was as an MT. I type 90 wpm. That said, I have not been able to find a position as an MT because I didn't have 'credentials'. So I researched the web and decided to spend my hard-earned money on Career Step. I passed the 1st portion of the test with 97% which actually more of a grammatical testing ...

Career Step Graduates Recommendation
Aug 11, 2012

Any graduates of Career Step that can recommend the course?  Also, is it a licensed school.  I am told that it is based in Provo, Utah. ...