A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Survey - How many MTs really need their jobs - scott

Posted: Jan 21, 2010

Question:  How many MTs really need their jobs and how many just do it for a little bit of extra pocket $$$ (have someone else  in the family who  is the main breadwinner)? 

Talk about opening a can of worms- NM - L

[ In Reply To ..]
b

?? - dsauverwald

[ In Reply To ..]
Who are you and what is this survey for??? If it is for your own personal information, it really is not any of your business. Even if you work for a company that is requesting this information, I find it to be a very personal question that you really have no right to ask really.

Sorry to sound rude, but really!

Survey - cmmcd472

[ In Reply To ..]
My thoughts exactly....NOYB!
Then just disregard - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
Like anything on this board, you can just move on if you don't like it. It's not offensive in any way. If it feels too personal for you to answer, then don't answer. A lot of other people obviously don't feel that way. I think people should feel free to ask things on this board as long as they're not extremely inflammatory, and this isn't, so give the poor OP a break!

survey - MT Bottle

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't mind answering. There's no way in h3ll I'd put up with this cr@p if I didn't really need to. Yes it pays the bills, yes it puts food on the table. At my age I feel like I'm stuck here, no way I'm starting out in something new just a couple years before retirement age. Gee, do I sound bitter?

DITTO (NM) - CLUNYBROWN

[ In Reply To ..]

Answer: I really need a job. No other breadwinners here. - Zircon

[ In Reply To ..]

Sole support for family, age 50 and adopting young child - under the gun

[ In Reply To ..]

Sole support, is this a child you know or what are - the reasons for such a late life adoption

[ In Reply To ..]
I am sure you have your reasons but anything special here or you just want to adopt?

the reasons for such a late life adoption - under the gun

[ In Reply To ..]
are personal and I'm hoping your questioning has benign motivations.

This child happens to be a child known to me; however, I take a look at our society and the number of children who need a family and I wish I could expand my family. It isn't easy with no family or much social support, but this is important to me.
Nothing but benign, understandable if - Late life adoption
[ In Reply To ..]
you want to expand or doing for a reason like you state, a child you know. If things make you happy, then you do what you want to do. I am past the childrearing years but I have adopted some cats and work in adopting other animals out so that is where my heart lies. I thought about going on line to adopt a couple of children thru the children's network but my thoughts were what if I only am able to do for say 5 years and then what? I applaud you for doing what your heart says.

this is my profession, Scott... - elaine

[ In Reply To ..]
This is my career, for which I am well compensated. I do not do this for pocket money.

Where are you coming from?

Survey - Scott - Jean

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Scott:
This is a full time breadwinner thing for me.
I don't know why some of the posters are so upset about your question. It's pretty straigh forward.

Need work, single 52 y/o mother of 11 y/o child - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have no choice but to work. My daughter's father passed away when she was 3. She is now 11 and I am raising her on my own. No safety net, if I dont work, I dont eat.

I think he or she is asking because there's a perception-sm - ginger

[ In Reply To ..]
...that the MTSOs can pay peanuts because the majority of transcriptionists are working for pin money or it's a "hobby." This is something I've often wondered about. I actually think it's a tiny minority that are doing this just for extra money.

MTs working for extra money perception - MT who knows

[ In Reply To ..]
I TOTALLY agree! There IS a perception that has become a common thought in offices throughout [even in hospitals] that medical transcriptionists are at-home moms, who don't really need the money and are just doing it for some spare change, or that the MT is retired and just doing it for extra money, or that the other person working as an MT [the part-timer] is just doing it for a little of her own spending money and that she is covered with health insurance by her husband. WHERE DID THIS STUPID THINKING COME FROM?! WHY IS IT THAT WHENEVER WOMEN'S WAGES AND WHAT TYPE OF WORK THEY DO [ESPECIALLY IF IT IS CONCERNED CLERICAL] IS CONSIDERED AS NOT IMPORTANT, SECONDARY, NO KNOWLEDGE NEEDED, ETC.

pocket money? - is there such a thing anymore? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Survey--I actually really do love my job! - Chickenlover

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at home, full time, and am main breadwinner. I do my job, do it well, and am well compensated for it. That said, I do not work for a national.

As I've watched the snow pile up to past my knees, I am VERY thankful to have this job where I don't have to go out there and risk my life for a minimum wage job, which is all that is left around this neck of the woods, if there are any jobs left at all.

Times are tough out there--actually they are beyond tough, they are downright TERRIFYING. Food pantries are begging for donations and people are out scrounging for firewood wood to try keep their pipes from freezing.

I wish everyone in this profession well. :)

Have reached the age where I do not have to work - Lucky Lady

[ In Reply To ..]
now but continue on because I love making combined income, my social security, my retirement check and my work check. I pay the small bills in the home, utilities and buy groceries every now and then. DH pays for the house and the vehicles. I do have a credit card debt and IRS that I am saving towards paying both off this year. The IRS debt is I think I might owe, not a sure thing and due to the fact that my tax preparer last year might have misinformed me of my tax burden this year. Long story but have been squirring away money now since November just in case when tax time comes. Another thing, I see no reason to retire when the work is just easy for me, right in my home, know so well after all these years and I like working.

I absolutely need my job - MT in PA

[ In Reply To ..]
my husband is unemployed and we have a 2 year old to support and 2 cats and 1 dog. I have to work 60 hours/week just to pay bills. Why would someone ask this anyway?

It is (was) my livelihood. I've used all my savings and now - it is time to find another career, in my 50s. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Used all savings - MT who knows

[ In Reply To ..]
You are so right. There is absolutely no way that a person can make a decent living, save money, and buy what they need on an MT salary anymore. I have not been able to find a full-time, DECENT, MT job in the last 5 years. I have taken a part-time job, which I worked at until this year, and since then I have not been able to find anything. What is worse is that I knew the demise of the sustainable MT was coming and I was preparing; however, trying to find someone to take you seriously [who doesn't understand what is really going on] is pretty dismal. Not to mention that I too had to use all my savings in order to even survive during those part-time years [which was a lot of money]. Anyone who wants to save money for future years of their life or to make their life better had NOT even consider working as an MT anymore. When I started this type of job in no way, shape, or form did I expect to be pushed down to this level. I am not sure that I will ever be able to save that kind of money for my future again; however, I do know that the "pie in the sky promises" of good money working as an MT is bogus bullsh_it and I know better than to fall into that trap at this point in my life. WISH ME LUCK! :-)

need job - old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Need my job for car payment and house mortgage! Extras are definitely a thing of the past.

Need mine. Sole breadwinner. - no mess.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Thanks for everyone's answers - Scott

[ In Reply To ..]
I asked this because I was curious as to whether anyone actually was making it as an MT anymore as far as having a reasonable middle class lifestyle. My income hasn't gotten better since I started doing this 20 years ago, but I have been holding my own. Now lately it seems to be in the part time realm even though I am available for work a regular day.

Asking where is a good place to work never gets a straight answer. With a question like this I thought I could ascertain whether or not there were any decent places left to work as far as MTSOs. It sounds like the positive answers are in offices or hospitals.

I hope I am not a fool thinking things will get better. Best of luck to everyone.

survey - tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Believe me if I did not have to work I would not be working in this field. I am an artist, designer, woodworker. Hate being chained to the desk.

For a long time I did not "have" to work BUT - sm -

[ In Reply To ..]
but need it now to pay off cc debt (in 5 years will all be gone), and for spending money. My DHs money almost to the last penny covers all our living expenses but leaves nothing extra for eating out, movies, spending money, anything unexpected happening-- so it gets a bit tight around here for now (mortgage will be done in mid-2013 so light at the end of that tunnel will be a huge help).

Sole provider here. This check needs to pay for everything. - Longtime MT (NM)

[ In Reply To ..]
cc

I need my job - blondie

[ In Reply To ..]
I really need my job. My husband makes more than me, but what I make is needed to help pay bills too. This is not just pocket change for me.

Survey - Caretaker

[ In Reply To ..]
I am the sole breadwinner in my family. My husband has been disabled for two years, due to brain surgery gone wrong. He can't be left alone, and I can't afford in-home care. We are still fighting for his disability to kick in. At least I can do this job from home, or in a hospital room. I know a lot of people are "down" on the job, but I thank God every day for the work I get!

Similar Messages:

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

Where Do I Find The Status Of Jobs And Number Of Jobs?
Nov 26, 2012

I tried entering my ID plus dep on the Fluency for Transcription page and it said my account was inactive.  Okay, so I tried twice with Remedy to get it reactivated.  Both times I got emails telling me it was working.  Tried again and no luck.  Am I on the right page, the one with the hideous orange splash, the same one we use to find our stats?  Any help appreciated, I really don't want to have to call tech support if I don't have to.  Do I even need to d ...

OOW Survey
Feb 02, 2011

I am interested in learning how many currently practicing MTs struggle to get their lines in due to their being "no work available."  Do you find yourself out of work and having to try to make up lines outside your usual schedule? Only occasionally? Often? Every day? Seldom? Never happens?   Thanks everyone!Mary     Optional data: ...

Survey Says . . . .
Apr 03, 2011

to spell the abbreviation of subcutaneous?   is is subcu or subcut?  i have this argument every time with QA.  could i get someone to help me please?  thanks much in advance!!!!   ...

Oh Man... New Survey
Dec 05, 2011

If people were sincerely honest, it wouldnt change anything! ...

The Survey
Dec 06, 2011

Just read through the survey without answering the questions.  Waste of time!  No matter how many of us answer it and regardless of what we say, after it is all over they will tell us that MQ employees love the company.  This is just a way to try to placate us and make us think that our opinions count.  You can all take turns flogging me if I'm wrong. ...

My Take On The SURVEY.....
Dec 06, 2011

I am an MT who has been around for 14 years with this company and I have my gripes like all the rest of you.  I took the survey and stuck it to them when it mattered.  For example, when they ask if compensation encourages people to do their best, the obvious answer is "strongly disagree" right?  When they ask if compensation is clearly tied to performance....again "strongly disagree."  Whether our answers matter or not, it's our opportunity to vent our frustrations with ...

To Those Who Did Not Do The Survey
Dec 16, 2011

I had so much fun using words like despicable and abomination that I just couldn't help myself and filled it out 3 times.  I expect when all is said and done they will tell us that the vast majority of responses were positive and almost everyone loves the company but at least I had a few minutes of sheer enjoyment.  ...

Mq Survey
Dec 27, 2011

Wonder when we'll see the results of the survey!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  Ya, right!  As if they would be truthful about it anyway! ...

And The SURVEY SAYS!
Sep 11, 2012

That the enhanced compensation is in place, we have been BOOSTED and we are one big happy globally rebranded party! Whoo-hoo! ...

And The Survey Says . . .
May 06, 2013

Like the opinion of a lowly MT/ME even matters. They are going to do what they want regardless of our "opinions." ...

Age Survey
Apr 01, 2014

But really,what hasn't?  Seeing lots of posts from 60+ and wonder what is the average age of MTs.  I will go first - age 61.   ...

Survey Of New Pay
Feb 02, 2015

Before the new pay rule game, I made 7.5 cents (3.75 cents for editing). Then when this new pay game started, I made less at 7 cents. However, I find lately I've been actually making noticeably more money with this pay game. You just got to keep quality and pending to QC under control. In fact, I think I now make a few hundred dollars more per month, if I keep it up, keeping quality up and QC pending down. I know some of you were actually paid 8 cents (4 cents for editing), so there is ...

Did Anyone Take The Survey?
May 15, 2015

Just curious. I'm about to unload on it, but wondered if anyone else did?? ...

Survey
Jun 06, 2015

For those who are comfortable sharing this info, what is the pay rate for VR (as opposed to straight typing) and what is the average amount of lines one can cover in an hour at MModal?  Thanks for your help. ...

MQ Central Survey And CMT
Mar 29, 2010

I wonder if we're all going to be forced to become CMTs?  That would be a great way to get rid of a lot of us. ...

New Survey- They Can Stick It
Jul 13, 2010

Every time MQ sends out a survey they use it to justify a pay cut or cesspool or other "great" ideas.  They twist the results of the survey to fit their agenda and then say- see the MTs agree that ASR is better or they are sick of running out of work.  JMHO but I am not filling it out so they can use my answers to make my job worse than it already is. ...

Waah Nobody Wants To Take The Survey
Jul 13, 2010

Less than 10% of us have taken the long, boring, unpaid survey about your latest software tweak.  Maybe its because we're sick of giving you unpaid freebies!  Enterprise sucks.  Until you get better programmers it will always suck.  Any time we report a problem the IT desk diligently finds ways to try to blame the MT's internet provider, or any other way to pass the buck they can scrounge.  There is no point in giving feedback when nobody fixes the obvious.&nbs ...

Pay Date Survey
Jan 13, 2011

any MT's that have worked outside of MT industry ever been with a company that posts pay 5 WoRKInG days after the pay period ends - say HOLLA! MY company treats me sooo well!   --- and then do tell us all what cocktail of medications you are on.  Cheers.  ...

Keystrokes Survey
Mar 29, 2011

Is this survey mandatory?  I have only been with KS a few weeks and really like the company and account I am on, I don't really have any ideas for changes  ...

Headphone Survey
Sep 22, 2011

Gee, I wonder how many of us will take the unpaid time to complete the questionnaire.  LOL !  ...

We Have A Headset Survey To Take, AND
Sep 22, 2011

They ask something like:  What was the brand name and model and if you don't know, then state don't know. WELL!!!!  I TOLD THEM:  SINCE MY PAY HAS BEEN CUT IN HALF AFTER BEING WITH THIS COMPANY OVER 20 YEARS, I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO PICK THE CHEAPEST BRAND THERE IS.   Also asks where do you purchase your headset?  I TOLD THEM AGAIN:  SINCE I WAS GRANDFATHERED INTO THIS COMPANY WITH PAY CUT IN HALF, I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT AT THE DOLLAR STORE.  AND SO ...

Survey - Where Exactly Are The Results
Jan 03, 2012

So . . . uh . . . where exactly are the results of the survey?  LOL ...

MQ Satisfaction Survey
Jan 04, 2012

Did ya'll take that survey?  I sure hope some of our comments here on MTStars, went into the "employee satisfaction" survey MQ recently had.  On the question of "how well does MQ work for you", my reply was..."it doesn't" and I proceeded to say that I am worth and deserve a decent salary, among other things.  I felt that was my chance..whether it ends up in the trash can or not, SOMEONE had to read it.    ...

Survey/no Work
Jan 16, 2012

So, since I've been sitting here waiting for work for 3 HOURS, I decided to e-mail Vern and Noel while I'm wasting all this valuable time and ask them when we'll be seeing the results of the survey that we took a month ago.  Ya . . . like they'll really respond!  Won't be holding my breath but IF I happen to hear anything, I'll be sure to let you all know  :-) ...

Survey Results Are In!
Feb 06, 2012

Basically, it says...............NADA ...

My Own Personal Survey
Feb 07, 2012

I was just watching the news, and the all the job openings with average annual income. What I would like to know is this: Is any MT at MM or any other MTSO able to make a living wage? Please be honest. I for one am not evening breaking $1000 a month anymore, and at one time I was able to make at least $36,000 a year. Thanks ...

I Just Filled Out The Survey.
Dec 17, 2012

just goes directly into the trash, or if anyone actually reads it?   ...

Survey Results Are In
Feb 20, 2013

corporate speak gobbledy gook. Nada nada nada ...