A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Starting a business, info on filing taxes, FICA, etc. - What Was I Thinking

Posted: Jan 04, 2011

In starting your own transcription business, without using an accountant, how do I find out what I need to do in order to file taxes, FICA, etc.?  Is there one website that would give me the best information? Can't afford an accountant for now.

Thanks so much!Sealed

see msg - nycmt

[ In Reply To ..]
i just dusted off this book i've had for years, "The Independent Medical Transcriptionist" to see if there were any hints and tips. of course they stress that you "seek the counsel of an accountant", which i really strongly suggest you do if there's any possible way you can manage to swing it.

anyway, they also suggest going "to the nearest IRS office and asking for information regarding self employment"

i would really really suggest you see an accountant. they can set you up with your quarterly taxes so you don't get crushed at the end of the year, answer all of your questions about the 2x FICA, and they can tell you about deductions you wouldn't even know existed. and SAVE EVERYTHING, every receipt, every bill, everything...even your ISP is a write off :)

another thing - take a look at the tax laws in your state, to at least get a head start on that. and since that book was so old, i'm sure they would now tell you to go to the IRS's website. as i flip through it, i don't notice any websites to look at for anything...just a bunch of phone numbers! ha!! who uses the phone anymore?!

it was copyrighted '94, hehe.

see if you know a friend of a friend.

Accountant/legal is absolutely a must. - Chickadee

[ In Reply To ..]
First order of business is protecting yourself, legally and financially. If you don't have the knowledge to wade through the financial/legal aspects of it comfortably yourself, you really need to hire someone to watch your back. It is a necessary investment that will pay for itself within the first year...or the first screwup or question the IRS may want to ask you about your filing. Much easier on the nerves to just say, "I'll have my accountant contact you."

starting a business - mtx

[ In Reply To ..]
A smart business person knows what she doesn't know and consults those who know it. If you can't afford an accountant, how can you afford a business?

Read up on the IRS pages. Look up your state's business requirements for filing online.

But seriously, trying to say I'm doing this and I have no clue is setting yourself up to fail before you even start if you're not willing to do it right.

Similar Messages:

Do Any Companies Offer Statutory Employment Anymore? Take Out My Taxes And FICA, Sm
Oct 09, 2013

no other benefits, let me determine how many lines I will do and what days, and leave me the heck alone? I miss MDI-MD. :( ...

Filing Taxes As IC And As Employee
Feb 21, 2013

I work 20 hours a week as an IC for a national MTSO, paying my own taxes.  I also work 40 hours a week as an employee with benefits at a university.  Which federal form(s) should I use to file my own taxes?  I would use a 1040 for the full time employee job if that was my only job.  But since I also work half time as a contractor, do I need a different form?  Two separate forms?  Thanks so much for any help you can offer.  ...

Business Activity Code For Taxes?
Feb 07, 2012

Help please.   What business activity *type *code do you use if you are an IC? ...

Starting A Business
Jan 29, 2011

Hi. I am new to MT boards here but wondering about how one would start a home business. I have worked for companies as a subcontractor but wish to advertise for myself and get some work from local doctors on my own. I would likely need a mini transcriber if I have to pick up and drop off tapes, but how does one do it over the internet? Would there be a way to get it through email set up of some kind with audio wav files that they could dictate to and I access it from there and just type and emai ...

Starting My Own Business
Aug 28, 2012

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to start my own business.  I am tired of working for 5 cents a line.  This is below minimum wage.  I did get in touch with Transcription Gear and they gave me a lot of insight on the equipment I would need.  I am looking for info here on what is a fair price per line or page fee and also how to market myself the right way.  Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Starting An MT Business...any Thoughts
Dec 24, 2010

I have been an MT and QA for 6 years and have been employee, as well as IC.  I am ready to branch out and start my own MT service.  Starting with single physicians and then eventually working my way up and hiring other MTs and expanding my business.  Are there any resources out there that I can refer to that will help you to know how to GET CLIENTS!!  There are no books out there but one about how to start an MT business but it is sooooooo outdated!!!  Any information f ...

Starting A New Transcription Business
Oct 24, 2013

I am going to attempt to start my own transcription company but in the age of EHR Obamacare rules, how would I go about doing so? What are people charging these days? I am seeing per minute, per line, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Need Help-starting Up Own MT Business-advice Appreciated
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT business and have been in the process for about six months now.  I just do not want to get it up and running and realize that I forgot something or messed up somewhere down the line.  My main concern is the new HITECH Act that goes into effect in February.  I plan on having a couple of girls working for me from their homes and I am just confused on the exact rules and regulations that coincide wtih this new act.  Also, I need advice on the best way ...

Need Help! Starting Business. Need A Decent Line Count/invoice
Jan 04, 2015

Line count and invoice software that would be compatible with Word 2003.  Ideas?  THANKS!!  Free is always good, but I'll pay a bit if need be. ...

Anybody Have Contact Info/phone For ANCAP Business Solutions
Mar 31, 2010

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Excuse Me, Back To Company Board Business. Any Info On All Physician's Trans?
Apr 25, 2012

TIA!   ...

Anyone Ever Pay Monthly Taxes For Taxes Owed
May 12, 2014

I owed a bit of money for last years taxes, which I do not have so am making monthly payments.  I sent in the form to request to pay monthly, but have not heard anything back.  Has anyone done this and is this unusual (that I have not heard back anything)?  I was reading all these websites and they were saying just keep mailing in what you can each month until it's paid off and then you might owe penalties, which I understand.  It stinks, but right now I have more bills ...

The SEC Filing For Company
Jan 05, 2013

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1441567/000119312512304484/d380686dsc14d9.htm Our beloved DV gets 10 million.  Glad all of you higher ups get to sleep peacefully in a warm bed at night and have no worries in life for putting food on your table.  Thanks for the wonderful memories of working here and the oustanding raises we get because of how hard we try to make more money for your pockets. We are so grateful working for such a wonderful com ...

Question - When Filing For UE . . .
Jan 25, 2013

what kind of questions do they ask you?  Do we just tell them that we're supposed to be at 39 hours and are getting only x amount of hours?  And do we just give them our lines rates?  Our checks can vary in their amounts so I just wondered. I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound ignorant, but this is new territory for me.  I want to be prepared if they ask me something, and I wasn't sure how specific they would get.  Thanks! ...

Question About UE Filing
Feb 06, 2013

Is there a certain day of the week that's best to file for UE?  I'm sorry, I know nothing about it.  What info will they need?  I think I remember somebody saying something about info in DocQManage, but I couldn't remember.  Is any of the info they need in Ultipro?  Thanks.  ...

Nuance/filing For Under-employment
Nov 11, 2012

If you ever file for unemployment compensation for under-employment (no work available during your shifts), make sure you list Alphastaff as your employer. This held up my claim by 2 weeks since I listed Nuance as my employer. ...

Filing For Partial Unemployment
Mar 22, 2013

Any advice?  I was shy over 8 hours last week due to OOW (towards end of pay period, so no way to catch it up) and over 10 hours this week now (my last scheduled day was yesterday, and I'll be checking in to see if I can catch up some today on my day off, which won't be 10 hours, of course).   Is there generally a certain number of hours, rate of pay, etc., that one has to be shy of actual scheduled in order to qualify?  I understand it may be different from state to st ...

Filing For Unemployment Online...need
Aug 19, 2013

M-Modal's address. Looked on my tax returns for the address and it still says Medquist. Does anyone know if the address is the same for MModal? The one that starts with 9009.....in Franklin, TN. ??? Is that what I put on the UI form for physical and mailing address? And they want the phone number...do we use the same number we use to call tech support, etc. Sigh. Can't look on my email anymore as you get locked out immediately upon being laid off. TIA ...

Re: Filing For Unemployment Benefits
Jan 21, 2014

all my old bi-monthly payment amounts for the last 18 months?  What if you're paid by direct deposit?  I only know what was deposited, not what the full amound of pay I received, including deductions for health benefits, was.  How did you deal with this roadblock? ...

Filing For Unemployment When Work Is Low?
Mar 04, 2014

Does anyone know if it is possible to file for unemployment due to severely restricted work levels at Nuance?  Work has been incredibly slow or nonexistent for the last 2-3 weeks where my paycheck has been cut in half with promises of more work but still haven't appeared!  I haven't researched this yet but wanted to know if anyone has tried filing for unemployment.   ...

How Do I Go About Filing A Labor Relations Complaint?
Aug 06, 2010

I am supposed to be an IC, and according to the IRS definition and 20-factor test, I am being treated as an employee with each day bringing new employee guidelines into play.  How do I file a complaint and be allowed compensation and benefits as an employee?  This company is just worming their way around paying benefits and downtime compensation to employees by stating they are ICs.     ...

Punished For Filing For Partial Unemployment?
Jul 28, 2013

I'm thinking about applying for partial unemployment. The only thing holding me back is i'm afraid I will get retalation from the company or even get fired. I'm afraid that I will be out of a job completely without having anything else lined up. I've had maybe 2-3 hours a day of work if i'm lucky for going on a week now, and i'm really worried about paying my bills. I have been applying for other jobs in the meantime as well. I would love to hear anyone's exper ...

STAT-Copy Technologies Filing Bankruptcy
Nov 07, 2011

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post on the company board that STAT-Copy Technologies is over 2 months late paying me (over $2500).  A week and a half ago, she had sent me an e-mail saying she sent a check, which I have not yet received as of today.  I contacted her again to let her know I had not received any check.  I told her I was tired of messing around and begging for my money and she would hear from my attorney.  Well, she just e-mailed me and told me her company is filing ...

Is Filing For Partial Unemployment Due To Lack Of Work
Jul 23, 2014

A good way to just get yourself booted?  Would most companies tell you to get lost if you end up filing for partial? ...

Filing For Early Social Security/Working Part-time
Apr 07, 2012

Anyone here working part-time and receiving early Social Security benefits? I am considering doing this in the next year and wondering if anyone else is already doing so. Thoughts?  I've been working full-time since the age of 18 years and part-time before that, with only a 6-month period of time between jobs, but was collecting severance pay those 6 months. So, I really feel I deserve to get back some of the money I've put into Social Security over the last 4-1/2 d ...

IC/Taxes
Jan 03, 2010

I worked as an independent contractor for the first 5-1/2 months of 2009, but when reading the IRS definition of independent contractor, I realize that description did not fit my position.  Will I still need to pay self-employment tax? ...

IC Taxes And HELP
May 19, 2010

Hi,  Just accepted an IC position from a private individual.  I now have to deal with estimated taxes,, been a long time so I have questions.  Pretty basic, been reading,, I will not recieve a check prior to May 31, so I will be doing ET for the first time September 15, 2010.  How do I calculate how much to send?  I have heard that IC should have a separate checking account and make the deposit in there of the IC check and "pay" myself from there? Any thoughts, advice, s ...

Do Taxes Yourself?
Jan 26, 2011

I would like input on whether you do your taxes yourself or take them to a professional?  I had a local accounting firm do mine for a few years and now they are just H&R Block and the rate I pay keeps going up.  I have looked at a few do your taxes online yourself and H&R seems to be reasonable online (half of what the place charges).  Who does their taxes themselves and what is your experience with it?  Thanks for any help or advice you can give.  ...

Taxes!!!
Jun 14, 2011

I am an IC and am being choked by self-employment taxes.  It seems like I work to pay the taxes.  Anyone have any tax advice?  Does anyone else feel this way? ...