A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

So, I'm sick of American workers getting the shaft. - doing my small part

Posted: Sep 19, 2014

Every catalog I get is full of imported goods, so I emailed LL Bean and Lands' End to take me off their mailing list permanently unless they start building factories here and bring the work back and that I would also encourage others to do so.  I got a pat response, of course, that my email was "forwarded to the appropriate personnel" who would then "look into the matter." 

With each catalog that happens into my mailbox and has only imported goods, I will email that company to remove me from their mailing list and give them the reason why. 

I hold no hope that this will make any difference to anyone except me, but that's enough for me. 

Mindful shopping is my new motto. 

Surely you don't think the issue is as simple as that? - Not a zero-sum game.

[ In Reply To ..]
The logical extension of your "shopping protocol" is that no one should buy anything that's not made in the USA.

To start with, what about those LL Bean employees who would lose their jobs?

And what about the price rises that would follow? There are a lot of low-income Americans who wouldn't have a television, a computer or a cell phone, or maybe a car if there weren't competitive products - from the global marketplace - available at affordable prices.

And then you start putting foreign workers out of jobs, who in turn can't purchase American exports.

In retaliation, foreign governments begin to slap tariffs on American goods to the point that they cannot compete with those countries' domestic products.

We have a lot of Americans that are working for foreign companies, and who would become unemployed. We might not think so, but outsourcing is definitely a two-way street.

There are even more layers below this brief analysis, but you do need to think deeper than the simplistic ideas that you have about the realities of the world economy and the global marketplace.

I do think we need to have more manufacturing and production in the US, but it would be disastrous if there weren't many other thriving economies producing competitive products for American consumers.

We got by OK before all the importing - and would be just fine

[ In Reply To ..]
We would be just fine without all the importing. We need to look at what we are throwing our hard-earned dollars away on. I have a solar energy super insulated cabin that is very inexpensive to maintain. Am not spending huge amounts on gas and electricity. My biggest budget item is health care insurance which is just way out of line. Thank goodness something is beginning to be done about that. "Consumerism" is a waste. Reduce, reuse and recycle!

Well said. Where does she think gas comes from? . - we certainlhy do not have it here. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xxxx

Um, yes we do have gas here. In alaska. Have read there is - enough in Alaska for all our needs nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Not forever. When did we ever use resources wisely, Um? - anon s/m
[ In Reply To ..]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FUTURE OF THE PIPELINE:
Decline in oil production has posed a serious problem for the pipeline.[176]

By 2015, it is anticipated that daily oil throughput will approach 500,000 barrels per day (79,000 m3/d), unless additional sources of oil are developed.[177] As volumes decrease, Alyeska will begin closing pump stations. The company intends to close all but four stations, because the lower throughput will require less pumping to maintain its momentum.[131] While some reports supporting drilling in the ANWR coastal plain maintain that the pipeline may reach its minimum operating level of 200,000 barrels per day (32,000 m3/d) by 2020[178] the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System Renewal Environmental Impact Statement estimated levels above this through at least 2032[179] due to ongoing exploration outside ANWR. Improvements that allow low flow-rates could extend its lifespan as far as 2075.[134]

By law, Alyeska is required to remove all traces of the pipeline after oil extraction is complete. No date has been set for this removal, but plans for it are being updated continuously.[180]

End

(nothing lasts forever when demand tips the scale of supply and no one cares.)

Great idea - TrampledUnderfoot

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to always shop from LL Bean because almost ALL of their stuff was US-made. Not any more. And the quality shows; shabby fabrics, poor fit. The fact that it's made cheaply definitely shows.

I'm sure it won't hurt their bottom line to lose a few customers, but I'll feel better for having stood up for what I believe.

Every little bit counts. Imagine what Americans - could do if we ALL did that! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I'd give it about 2 months before you'd begin to - sing a different tune.

[ In Reply To ..]
Economic protectionism (or isolationism, if you prefer) has been tried and has never worked.

You should live sometime in a place where all that's available is whatever happens to be produced locally.

We're very fortunate to be able to purchase goods at reasonable prices from around the world - and equally fortunate that we can sell our goods in the global marketplace.

Most of our own large corporations (and many that aren't so large) do trade internationally, and wouldn't be employing a lot of Americans if there weren't thriving trade among nations.

If we could somehow unwind all of these economic relationships tomorrow, we'd wake up to a very primitive, agrarian society not very different from the one you might have seen in the PBS series "Lark Rise to Candleford".
I can't even give up shopping at WM - on my wages
[ In Reply To ..]
you guys complain about what you're not making all the time, yet want to try buying local and just American made and produced. Good luck!
Umm is not a word, but I'll use it. I give them 1 month - o-n-e month. Umm, too pampered.
[ In Reply To ..]
IMHO
Reminds me of my father, never buying anything except - Chevrolet which he thought all US made
[ In Reply To ..]
Nothing foreign for him. Little did he know that most all the parts made for our American cars are, yep foreign made. It is almost impossible to buy completely US all today, just too many imports. Does not worry me. We need the trade just like other countries.
yes. Similar situation here. I dare these stand up and fight people should - first go through their house and garage
[ In Reply To ..]
and empty out everything made overseas or with parts made overseas first, as an eye opener. Including the contents of the refrigerator. Google it, read packages, call companies - whatever it takes...and find a wholesome US of A product to replace it.

Even the Mardi Gras beads would get tossed out.

None of us would have a car either - A consumer
[ In Reply To ..]
Even though new cars are assembled here, the parts come from all over the world, even China, many automobile plants now use robots to do the work of humans. So unless you are also willing to go "carless," accept the fact that it is a global economy and isn't going to change due to all the cheap labor. If you remember back to the 70s and early 80s, American cars were crap. Chrysler went bankrupt and the taxpayers bailed them out. Americans couldn't compete with the Japanese, that was the beginning of globalization. Now Fiat owns Chrysler and Mazda owns a portion of Ford, who still makes crap automatic transmissions. Sorry, but it's too late to turn the tide. If it makes you feel better to throw away your stuff, go for it. Good luck starting over with American-made products. I'm sorry, but there aren't any left.

Similar Messages:

American Workers Have Changed--And Not For The Better
Nov 08, 2011

I've talked with several MTs recently who work for different companies. The companies have to send out reminders to the MTs that they are supposed to be at work at specific times. They also are having trouble with MTs just taking off without arranging for coverage of their accounts. The list goes on and on. What bothers me most though is the attitude of workers. Work was not easy years ago, but people did it with courage and integrity. You don't see much of that anymore.   &nbs ...

Tibia/fibular Shaft Fracture Or Tibial And Fibular Shaft Fracture
Jun 10, 2011

paranoid about nitpicking my work... I find it both ways when I search   ...

Afro-American Versus African-American
Nov 17, 2012

Afro pertains to a "hair style" usually worn by black people or African-Americans. African-American refers to a group or nationality of people whose decendants originated in Africa. Has anyone ever been corrected on that when getting audited? Just curious. I see this a lot. P.S. Not trying to stir the pot or offend anyone so please, no racial slurs or offensive posts. This is a ligitmate question. How do you type it? or do you think it matters? ...

S/L Shaft Liver
Apr 21, 2010

...resulting in patient shedding microemboli through the kidney, liver, and bone marrow, resulting in acute renal failure, shaft liver,... Does anyone have a suggestion as to what he may be saying about the liver? ...

The Shaft After 6 Plus Years Of Service...
Apr 04, 2014

The Shaft Was Minimally Enlarged At The [s/l Ispis]
Dec 09, 2010

I'm sorry if I am posting this twice, but I can't tell if the first one worked. :) I can't figure out a word in this sentence: "The shaft was minimally enlarged at the [s/l ispis]." It's possible I am just REALLY tired, but I am drawing a blank and can't find anything! ...

Sounded Like Rast Screws And Shaft Screws For Volar Plate. Nm
Mar 15, 2013

nm ...

Buying American
Oct 19, 2009

Hey, Everybody: In the spirit of solidarity, if we want support for our cause, then we might want to consider supporting other industries in America.  There are places to "Buy American" on the website.  We shouldn't support Big Box Stores that import everything and make a killing as well as treat their employees like chattel.  You know who I am talking about.  If we buy into the theory, "Oh, but it's so inexpensive to go there," then we are just as bad as the tran ...

Native American
Mar 26, 2010

When doctor says:  "Patient is a native American" should native be capitalized?  (BOS says to capitalize tribe names, but that doesnt answer this question.)  Thanks very much. ...

Will This Help Struggling American MTs?
Apr 23, 2013

I saw this article on a new law being passed about outsourcing jobs http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-immigration-bill-could-slow-indian-outsourcers-092353134--finance.html     ...

American MTSOs?
Jul 23, 2014

Okay, so are there ANY companies that are actually owned by Americans who live in America?  Everyone says they are only hiring from within the U.S., but that doesn't mean the owners are American.  Someone here said one company (Diskriter?) was purchased by "an Indian couple." Why wasn't it purchased by an American couple? Why aren't Americans buying MTSOs? What's up with that? ...

Where Are All The American Doctors?
Sep 06, 2014

This past week it seems all I have got to transcribe are foreign docs.  Some are not too bad, but some it is just plain torture to listen to.  What is going on?  Also this is the first time I have not been able to pay my bills with my paycheck.  It is so depressing.  Just had to vent.   ...

Any TTS Workers Who...
Feb 23, 2013

work on the account that starts with a B and has 6 letters?  Could you please email me your yahoo messenger ID so we can keep in touch in case I have questions as I have seen the efficiency in which "the team" gets back to me.  I would very much appreciate it.  Thanks. ...

The Great American EHR Boondoggle
Dec 01, 2009

Just in case anyone thought that point and click EMR is working, read this article.   http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20090818/REG/308189963 ...

American Precision Transcription, LLC
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone work or heard of this company American Precision Transcription, LLC (APT)? Thanks for any and all comments about them. ...

American Transcription Association
Aug 27, 2010

Do any of you belong to American Transcription Association?  I just happened to find their site today and it sounded very interesting.   ...

Are There Any American MT Companies(no Outsourcing), Is So, Who Are They?
Sep 29, 2010

Is there a list of American MT Companies who do not outsource? ...

American Transcripton Association
Apr 30, 2011

Is anyone on this board a member of this medical transcription organization?  If so, has it been beneficial to you?  I am asking because I am considering joining because I like what they say on their website.  So, I am just wondering if it is worth the money to join.  Any and all responses appreciated.  Thank you in advance. ...

Does Anyone Know If You Can Work For An American MT Company From
Feb 18, 2012

another country, specifically, Costa Rica.  My daughter started out volunteering down there and loved it so much she moved there permanently.  She is my only child, and since I really have no family here anymore and she wants me to, I'm considering moving down there.  Of course, I'd have to be able to keep my MT job.  I'm not exactly a spring chicken and apparently in order to move there you need to either have a pension/social security and/or an income (appare ...

American Health Connection?
Feb 08, 2013

Does anyone have experience with them or did anyone find any info. on them?  I couldn't find much of anything.  Thanks. ...

American Health Connection
Apr 05, 2013

Is it just me or does the new American Health Connection ad look like others we have seen from another company...maybe Phonix MedComm? ...

Anyone Know About American Health Connections?
May 04, 2013

I saw a couple of ads on MT Jobs from this company.  Sounds interesting for a change of pace.  Any info on them? ...

If American MTs Get QCd To Death, How In The World
Aug 03, 2013

are MTs from India doing well? I was born and raised in the U.S., I was an English/writing major, and I'm QCd into the ground, which makes me wonder - how the heck are people from India and other countries doing as MTs? Can they REALLY do better than those of us who grew up speaking the language, have spent years doing MT, especially since some of us are English experts (and probably ALL of us are English experts compared to those in India)?! What is going on here, seriously? ...

MM - Corporate/American Greed
Oct 17, 2013

All that matters to companies nowadays is how much money they can make for their stockholders and for their yearly bonuses.  They dont care about the American worker anymore.  In India, when they want to fire you, they have to take into account the family you are taking care of, will you be able to get another job.  America?  They will throw you out on the street without a notice and not give a darn. In my town, the main hospital wants to let Chinese women come over to Ameri ...

American Health Connections And Others
Apr 18, 2014

It never ceases to amaze me, in an absurd kind of way, how companies can place job ads for positions and ask for bilingual/foreign language to be a major qualification here in the US of A!!  This is an English-speaking country, and I resent the fact that these companies can make these requirements on us who are US citizens and English is our first language!  They want our expertise in work ethics, but we need to learn their language in order to apply for a job with them; how ...

American Transcription Work
Apr 21, 2014

Would American transcriptionists be willing to work for a lower cpl rate if they were provided with steady work? ...

Something We Workers-at-home Need To Consider...
Jan 21, 2010

when I started telecommuting full time.It finally penetrated my consciousness a couple of weeks ago that every year, when it came time to renew my auto insurance policy, I used to get a call from a local agent, and we'd go over the policy, making sure there were no changes. One of the questions was always how many miles did I drive to and from work each day, along with the current odometer reading, and the estimated number of miles driven each year.I haven't gotten one of those calls i ...

Weekend Workers?
Feb 13, 2011

How many of the MTs here work on the weekends? ...

Workers Comp
Apr 21, 2011

Anyone know how to write an appeal letter?  I was denied by the judge, even though my doctor said I have wrist and hand tendinitis due to typing for 16 years.  Wow, i'm devastated, not only am I hurting, but financially a wreck.  Anyway, I am writing an appeal to the board and have no money to visit a lawyer, wondering what goes in an appeal letter.  Any help greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

They Want Third Shift Workers, But....
Dec 12, 2011

So sorry for the rant, but I am so tired of companies wanting us all to cover third shift, but don't want to pay anything extra when we do and if they do it's something like a quarter of a penny, what in the world is that?   I know I shouldn't complain, but this shift is HARD to work, especially when you have little ones.  Just a little frustrated tonight, and I know there are people who have it worse than I do, but I don't have anywhere else to vent.  Thanks ...